P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

9 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Last time I was at Royal Preston Hospital there were patients outside the main entrance smoking right next to a large sign saying 

“This is a no smoking hospital”

Michelle

They have those at my local hospital and some are even staff!!

Afternoon all.

I’m a bit miffed today as I have my eye on a one week cruise in June on Britannia just to Spain and France, I’m still not comfortable going away for longer at the moment. I mentioned it to my sister and she said she’d book the same week off so I could really relax.

Anyway our work does 1st April to 31st March for our holidays. I have a new manager from last year (the old one was really on the ball with holidays) Anyway they were putting our allowance in the system today and my manager said she wouldn’t accept any requests until April 1st!! Finial payment will be March for a June cruise! This will be a stressful wait, we’re only allowed 2 off at the same time so I can’t really book it until I know I can get the time off. How disappointing 😔

• Like 2

On the blood pressure discussion I went for a blood pressure check with the nurse at my surgery ( after the appointment had been cancelled twice!) and all was good. To my surprise I was offered a pneumonia vaccine! So I had that too, had a bad sleep though, headache and a sore arm! Still, apparently I won’t need to have one again.

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 6

46 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Good words!  The first I might have hazarded a reasonable guess at, but certainly not the second.  

Refluent - flowing backwards (usually referring to fluids, rivers etc)

bildungsroman - refers to a novel about the moral growth of the main character.

Cant see me using either in everyday conversation.

17 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Refluent - flowing backwards (usually referring to fluids, rivers etc)

bildungsroman - refers to a novel about the moral growth of the main character.

Cant see me using either in everyday conversation.

I asked Chat GPT to write me a story containing the words refluent, bildungsroman and kenspeckle.  It duly obliged, but it was a pretty poor job!  

• Haha 3

The holiday decision sounds a bit mean, Sue - not as if it is the school holidays, when probably lots will want to be off.

Pleased to hear your bp was fine - once you get on the treadmill of seeing GPs and medication it feels like a bit of a  slippery slope; they keep finding things.  (I know, be glad you are being looked after).

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Seem to recall you are off to one of the Canaries for a long break - maybe Spring will be here when you get back.   Enjoy!  

Well remembered. It was a bit dicey driving over the tops to Manchester in drifting snow and -6oC. Once we were going down the Manchester side it was much better. Albeit a long day we touched down in Fuertaventura at 14:30 after a very easy experience through Manchester airport, no queues no hassle. Coffee and toast in Costa, £11.49/L bottle of gin for Mrs YP and off we went, easy flight no bumps.

We landed to 23oC and nice sun with a very slight breeze. In our very nice apartment unpacked and T-shirts shorts and desert wellies donned before walking down into town for a look around. We were going to come back and change before going out for dinner but we were starving and found what looked a nice Chinese restaurant so in we went, good job it was my formal shorts I was wearing. Menu B for 2 and a couple of large beers before waddling home, very nice. I think we are going to enjoy the next six weeks here.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I asked Chat GPT to write me a story containing the words refluent, bildungsroman and kenspeckle.  It duly obliged, but it was a pretty poor job!  

Rab C Nesbitt despite his unreputable bildungsroman had a sudden refluent after his 10 pints of Kenspeckle,how's that.

• Haha 10

Good Morning, another cold icy day only  -4°.   I just went out to the recycling bin and the lid was frozen down so DH can sort it out and put last night's wine bottle in it when he gets up.

• Like 5

Good morning,

Coldest day on record here, according to my phone's app, at -2c. 

We went out for a meal last night to save cooking and OH car was saying it was 21c😕I think not!!

I'm all packed and ready to head of to Bristol to join Azura tomorrow. I am looking forward to some warmer weather.

Hope everyone has a good day, stay safe and warm.

Pam

• Like 15

10 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’ll ask here rather than starting a new thread. 

How many formal nights on a 7 night Aurora cruise? There is conflicting information with some things saying 1 and some 2.

Thanks

I would say two, do you have (at least) two sea days?  It would be very unusual to have a formal night on a port day.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/16/2024 at 7:28 AM, Snow Hill said:

Tomorrow I have the annual training, the same courses repeated each year, H&S, Safeguarding and Inclusion gets boring. I find the H&S particularly boring, as I was a TUC trained H&S Rep when I was working and until a few years ago a School Governor with responsibility for H& and Risk Management. I have to go to ensure a box is ticked somewhere and I am not removed from volunteer list, it’s a role I enjoy doing. May just put my ear buds in and list to a few podcasts on my phone. 😬

Given I saw a photo of everyone sitting in the room with coats on yesterday I may wear same arctic gear as today. 🥶

Well I attend the training, as expected was cold, glad I put thermals on and layers, even kept my Norway woolly hat on. 🥶

The H&S session ended early as no one asked any questions even though the H&S Manager asked if there were any questions numerous times. I think most wanted to find somewhere warm or get a hot drink at the end.

Second training session in a different room initial had heating, but presenter turned it off, so was chilly for last 30 mins, I managed to opt out of the 3rd session on HR policy as not relevant to volunteers,

So boxes all ticked for another year, now to complete feedback firm, hopefully enough room for all the observations! 

• Like 3

Morning  it's -4.c at the moment in Rotherham. Will have to de ice the car as we need to use it today.

@purplesea Safe journey to Bristol and hope you have a good time on the Azura 🙂

Have a good day everyone !  

348dc375c83b34c35c1927a4d8c8697f.jpg.322ff9b25347e498068a6bef77158630.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Well it is -5˚C this morning... most definitely a "keep warm and cosy day folks!" Good news... a face-to-face medical appointment has been changed to a telephone appointment...  possibly because of the Amber Cold-Health Alerts issued by UKHSA and the Met Office... best not to mention during the appointment that we were Northern Light watching in Norway last February at -20˚C (not counting the windchill!)

Plan for the day... Keep warm. Lots of layers. Mugs of hot drinks. Scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast with lashings of piping hot tea and coffee.

Later a very hearty home-made soup for lunch.

Hope everyone keeps warm and well.

• Like 11

13 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Well remembered. It was a bit dicey driving over the tops to Manchester in drifting snow and -6oC. Once we were going down the Manchester side it was much better. Albeit a long day we touched down in Fuertaventura at 14:30 after a very easy experience through Manchester airport, no queues no hassle. Coffee and toast in Costa, £11.49/L bottle of gin for Mrs YP and off we went, easy flight no bumps.

We landed to 23oC and nice sun with a very slight breeze. In our very nice apartment unpacked and T-shirts shorts and desert wellies donned before walking down into town for a look around. We were going to come back and change before going out for dinner but we were starving and found what looked a nice Chinese restaurant so in we went, good job it was my formal shorts I was wearing. Menu B for 2 and a couple of large beers before waddling home, very nice. I think we are going to enjoy the next six weeks here.

Phil and mrs YP have a great 6 weeks in fuerteventura, where are you staying, what part ? and are you hiring a car to get around the island? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waju said:

I would say two, do you have (at least) two sea days?  It would be very unusual to have a formal night on a port day.

Hope that helps.

Yes the sea days are the first and last. I’m assuming that there will be a formal on the first sea day but it’s more unusual to have one on a final evening for packing etc.. as you say they don’t normally do formal on a port day.

Thats why I was asking.

• Like 1

Currently -5C with wind chill -8C according to app, glad that I used my unexpected free afternoon yesterday to put a double layer of horticultural fleece over the winter cabbages, hopefully will protect them. 

Currently clear blue skies, might venture out for a walk later, but stay indoors for now. 

A car was pulled over by police outside our house about an hour ago, reason only had cleared the windscreen in front of the drivers view. It was unfortunate for the driver that the police had been attending an incident further down the street this morning and had caught him as they were leaving. 

• Like 2