P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Oh dear

That doesn’t sound like it’s going to be good news

I must say that I have been delighted to notice that every playgroup, primary and junior school we pass on our walks this week appears to have all the children playing or working outside (as much as they ever work in the week before Christmas).  Really lucky that it is dry, and very mild.  Even if being outside rather than in only helps a bit, at least it’s helping.

Sorry for those who are afflicted now, and for Michelle’s mum.  Get well soon.  My London family is doing fine, just working through the Covid and looking forward to being free of it.  My daughter lost her sense of smell/taste, which she found really distressing.

• Like 5

And on a lighter note does anyone have a recipe for icing for gingerbread that does not make the said gingerbread go soggy?

I made lovely little decorations and they looked amazing with nice white lace and dot patterns but the icing made the previously perfectly crispy gingerbread soft in no time. (Still all eaten).

It must be possible as the ones in the Christmas markets don’t have the issue.  Any hints?

11 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

And on a lighter note does anyone have a recipe for icing for gingerbread that does not make the said gingerbread go soggy?

I made lovely little decorations and they looked amazing with nice white lace and dot patterns but the icing made the previously perfectly crispy gingerbread soft in no time. (Still all eaten).

It must be possible as the ones in the Christmas markets don’t have the issue.  Any hints?

Have you tried Royal icing? I use that to ice biscuits and it works well, maybe because it's made with egg white instead of water🤔

Avril

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

Have you tried Royal icing? I use that to ice biscuits and it works well, maybe because it's made with egg white instead of water🤔

Avril

Thanks, I’ll give it a try. Thankfully I only iced part of the batch so I can play around with the rest.

I usually make butter cookies and use flood icing but wanted to gingerbread for a change.

33 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Thanks, I’ll give it a try. Thankfully I only iced part of the batch so I can play around with the rest.

I usually make butter cookies and use flood icing but wanted to gingerbread for a change.

I use the basic royal icing, not with added glycerine when icing a christmas cake. 

Avril

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I use the basic royal icing, not with added glycerine when icing a christmas cake. 

Avril

That probably tastes nicer without the glycerine. Good tip.

I managed to get hold of light corn syrup this year (from USA) to use as an inverted sugar. I use golden syrup for most things but it adds colour which the light corn syrup does not so it’s ideal for making stain glass cookies. I got the Lakeland partridge in a pear tree cutter this year (once it was reduced!) which is pretty.

I know you can buy these things off the shelf but they never taste the same imo.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

A question for any on here involved in the vaccinations, I have searched online but cant find the answer... if my son's PCR test from this morning is positive can my daughter who lives in the same house still have her booster?

Thanks in advance

I've looked on the NHS website, but can't find anything either.

She would be better phoning her GP or health centre for advice. This is purely guesswork, in case I'm told I'm an armchair expert,😊 I would have thought if she has a negative test result the day she has her booster she would be ok🤔

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

A question for any on here involved in the vaccinations, I have searched online but cant find the answer... if my son's PCR test from this morning is positive can my daughter who lives in the same house still have her booster?

Thanks in advance

Sarah, 

I don't  know if this is any help but the questions that we ask people coming in for vaccination do NOT include any about the health of anyone else in their household.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I've looked on the NHS website, but can't find anything either.

She would be better phoning her GP or health centre for advice. This is purely guesswork, in case I'm told I'm an armchair expert,😊 I would have thought if she has a negative test result the day she has her booster she would be ok🤔

Avril

Thanks. Yes I think I will have to call the GP on her behalf tomorrow, she doesn't get in from work until after the surgery is closed.

• Like 1

Sarah - this is anecdotal, not copper bottomed direct from Prof Whitty et al - my son in law was boostered on Monday after my granddaughter tested positive last week and my daughter on Saturday

When I had my booster I was only asked if I had experienced any Covid symptoms or had Covid in the last 28 days

My s-i-l took a lateral flow test before he went to the vaccination centre.  That seems the obvious precaution

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Sarah - this is anecdotal, not copper bottomed direct from Prof Whitty et al - my son in law was boostered on Monday after my granddaughter tested positive last week and my daughter on Saturday

When I had my booster I was only asked if I had experienced any Covid symptoms or had Covid in the last 28 days

My s-i-l took a lateral flow test before he went to the vaccination centre.  That seems the obvious precaution

Thank you. I think she will go ahead and book one, she’ll be doing lateral flows every day anyway. I suppose if it was medically important not to have a booster if you’d had contact with a case of Covid, they would ask everyone the question.

Son is enjoying the room service but missing the family company and it’s only day 1. 😏

• Like 2