P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Finally signed in on ipad but had to use Firefox browser as Safari kept saying too many redirects, as a former IT Project Manager I would say the testing wasn’t all it should be. 

I cleared Safari cache & cookies multiple times adjusted a couple of settings, a cold reboot, but to no avail, seems safari doesn’t like the authenticator being used. 

Edited by Snow Hill

43 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Finally signed in on ipad but had to use Firefox browser as Safari kept saying too many redirects, as a former IT Project Manager I would say the testing wasn’t all it should be. 

I cleared Safari cache & cookies multiple times adjusted a couple of settings, a cold reboot, but to no avail, seems safari doesn’t like the authenticator being used. 

Logged in on Chrome ,Edge,and Samsung all on different equipment, everything was fine

Apart from the latter,Samsung informed me "Something went wrong " but suddenly sorted

Itself out and was logged in . Hope your Safari  does  the same.

3 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Just shows that the CC IT department is even worse than P&O.  And that is a pretty low standard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Logged in on Chrome ,Edge,and Samsung all on different equipment, everything was fine

Apart from the latter,Samsung informed me "Something went wrong " but suddenly sorted

Itself out and was logged in . Hope your Safari  does  the same.

All 3 of those browsers are based on the Chromium Search Engine, so not surprising they all worked. Safari is a Apple product, developers sometimes fail to test adequately changes against Apple stronger privacy and permissions regime, which is why I also have FireFox installed on my Apple devices. 

• Like 1

Well, we've had an interesting evening.

Just about to put our duck legs in the oven (yup, I am sophisticated!) and the electricity goes off.  Fortunately we have battery operated candles, and have just receieved 84 batteries from Amazon at a silly price, so we can see where we are. And we have just opened a bottle of wine,  so all is ok. 

Power comes back on. Decide not to risk cooking, so make tuna sandwiches and crisps. 

Then watch two episodes of The Watcher on Netflix.  Recommended. 

Power then goes off again, so obviously we do the sensible thing,  and open another bottle of red.

45 minutes later- power back on, and we can see the last 45 minutes of Masterchef. 

As an aside, the new masterchef judge is very photogenic. 

Mrs W and I were just discussing tonights events, in the light of possible issues later this winter. It is important to have some sort of constant light source immediately to hand,  and to stock up with batteries  sooner rather than later. It is surprising how dark your house is when all the lights, including street lights, go out.

Here ends my public information bulletin !

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 5

54 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Just about to put our duck legs in the oven (yup, I am sophisticated!) and the electricity goes off.  Fortunately we have battery operated candles, and have just receieved 84 batteries from Amazon at a silly price, so we can see where we are. And we have just opened a bottle of wine,  so all is ok. 

Power comes back on. Decide not to risk cooking, so make tuna sandwiches and crisps. 

Power then goes off again, so obviously we do the sensible thing,  and open another bottle of red.

45 minutes later- power back on, and we can see the last 45 minutes of Masterchef. 

Mrs W and I were just discussing tonights events, in the light of possible issues later this winter. It is important to have some sort of constant light source immediately to hand,  and to stock up with batteries  sooner rather than later. It is surprising how dark your house is when all the lights, including street lights, go out.

Any idea why the power went out? 

Wowzz - you made the best of things!

As part of my *winter emergency pack* I’ve got an emergency torch plugged into an unused socket in the living room.  In normal circumstances it sits there, power on, doing nothing.  If I’m wandering around in the night its motion sensor will turn it into a nightlight.  If the power fails it goes into torch mode and shows a strong torch light for several hours.  Plenty of time to sort out candles etc, plus a torch for moving around to the loo or whatever.  I’m contemplating getting a simple battery power head torch, to give light whilst leaving both hands free

Hope it’ll be ticketty boo for you this evening.  Enjoy your duck (I’ve got a great recipe for duck legs with cherries, cooked in dark beer)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Wowzz - you made the best of things!

As part of my *winter emergency pack* I’ve got an emergency torch plugged into an unused socket in the living room.  In normal circumstances it sits there, power on, doing nothing.  If I’m wandering around in the night its motion sensor will turn it into a nightlight.  If the power fails it goes into torch mode and shows a strong torch light for several hours.  Plenty of time to sort out candles etc, plus a torch for moving around to the loo or whatever.  I’m contemplating getting a simple battery power head torch, to give light whilst leaving both hands free

Hope it’ll be ticketty boo for you this evening.  Enjoy your duck (I’ve got a great recipe for duck legs with cherries, cooked in dark beer)

Ducks are banned in our household.My Mrs used to feed them every day on the way to work.I'll stick to the Bambi steaks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Although not in darkest Lincolnshre....

We have a whole set of remote control battery operated candles dotted through the house... they act as "nightlights" if the power goes off (two mini-blackouts in the last week or so) The will be pretty at Christmas.

We have a camping stove that we use as a summer BBQ type thing. It's allocated now for emergency cooking and we have a small stock of one pot meal type of thingies in cans... casseroles and suchlike that we can throw dumplings into.

We have a whole stack of candles that we normally use for the odd romantic dinner... and have matches on hand. (I say, "romantic" but never had dinner in Rome... so perhaps it a "Sorrentic" dinner... just not the same ring.)

The main thing is that we've just spent just under £20 on a USB camping light that we can hang up so that we can see to cook etc.... no batteries... 100w of light.... 10 hours. If need be its batteries will power up our mobiles. Failing all else it will be refocused as a DIY work lamp.

And we already have a £20 power pack that will charge up our phones etc...  or indeed it will power the above mentioned lamp.

And... we have three corkscrews on hand in different places so that we can always find one in the dark!

The emergency support services looking for vulnerable old folks to befriend during the power cuts will find us with ease.... just follow the sound of.... "Glug! Glug! Glug!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Any idea why the power went out? 

Overhead power lines probably  -  we get cuts on a fairly regular basis, and after long conversations with National Grid I’ve had to accept that they’re inevitable. You probably get them too?

More concerned at the contingency planning currently underway relating to possible 7 day outages this winter if things don’t go well. 4 hours on a rota basis can easily be worked round - 7 days less so!

Logs ordered for wood burner - it’s the only thing in the house that produces heat without electricity.  And a new Calor gas cylinder for the BBQ to cook with!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

That's timely advice, but a lot of batteries. We only have one torch, but will remedy that today in town. We stocked up on candles last crisis, but will have a look in Dyas as we are down to our last 4. Will see if the have another 4.

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

That's timely advice, but a lot of batteries

True, but we have five candles,  each with three batteries. We tend to have them on most evenings, as we enjoy the gently light they give out. Over the winter, we will use 45 batteries, or half our stock, and the Amazon price was too good to turn down !

Just now, wowzz said:

True, but we have five candles,  each with three batteries. We tend to have them on most evenings, as we enjoy the gently light they give out. Over the winter, we will use 45 batteries, or half our stock, and the Amazon price was too good to turn down !

4 candles will do us. We can charge up the phones from the car.

• Haha 2

A few years ago I bought a single burner camp stove with gas canister in it's own case ,ready 

for such emergencies but thankfully never needed to use it yet . I see places like Halfords 

still sell them for around £20 ,so not an expensive back up .

The Lancaster solar lamp I was telling you all about that can be charged via USB as well  is 

doing us proud . Only charged it once and that was weeks ago .It has 3 light settings that we

have not used ,we just have it in standby and it sits near the bathroom door emitting a 

moon light blue colour that acts as an emergency light , that will only operate in darkness , 

a dawn till dusk if you like . Very happy with it and thinking of buying another one  .

Apart from our torches and big stash of tea lights and a couple of stove lighters  I think 

we are set for any power outages .

Well our new log burner is sitting in the hearth waiting to be installed, we need a new flue liner so who no when it’ll be. Our preferred chap can’t do it till sometime after Xmas hoping he’ll come & quote in the next week, have another who has given us a ball park figure going by our info we’ve given him, waiting for him to come & look in person  too, so this is Cornwall where everything is done dreckly, let’s face it we asked a plumber to quote for a new heating system 14 years later still waiting! ( we did get someone else in case you’re worried 🤣)  Our hob is bottled gas so no worries there, have loads of candles as my kids & dh keep buying me scented ones that last forever. We used to get power cuts all the time here, not so bad now though. 

• Like 1

Our lights often flicker, especially if it's windy, so always have a torch handy. Our hob is gas, so we can always get a hot meal or drink when the power goes off. Have plenty of matches to light the gas too, along with quite a few scented candles and plain ones. 

• Like 1