P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

On 11/3/2022 at 9:53 AM, Harry Peterson said:

Overhead power lines probably  -  we get cuts on a fairly regular basis, and after long conversations with National Grid I’ve had to accept that they’re inevitable. You probably get them too?

More concerned at the contingency planning currently underway relating to possible 7 day outages this winter if things don’t go well. 4 hours on a rota basis can easily be worked round - 7 days less so!

Logs ordered for wood burner - it’s the only thing in the house that produces heat without electricity.  And a new Calor gas cylinder for the BBQ to cook with!

I must start reading the news as I’m head in the sand not even planning or thinking about power outages. Not entirely sure what we would do but hubby usually has an idea about those sorts of things. 

im too busy in planning mode for the canaries. 
also going to Paris for Christmas so I hope they have all the electricity on over there. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I must start reading the news as I’m head in the sand not even planning or thinking about power outages. Not entirely sure what we would do but hubby usually has an idea about those sorts of things. 

also going to Paris for Christmas so I hope they have all the electricity on over there. 

The French own our EDF so they'll probably cut us off first to save Paris.

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Hello all, sorry I missed your birthday Brian, hope you had a good one.

Lots of rain this week - very miserable! 
Our combined gas and electricity is £199 a month! Virtually doubled - although we are in credit by about £400! If we’re still in credit by the end of the winter I will be demanding they put it down!

Cheers Sue,loved Margate and weather Saturday.There's an area like the lanes in Brighton,trendy and Bohemian.We all had lunch alfresco at a place called Charlies.Very good service and quality.Other areas are still like Jaywick but improving.

• Like 2

As it's another line ,I wont start a thread.

Upsetting morning. Due to cruise on QV in three weeks.  Heard this morning that I can't take my tiny mobility scooter.   

I understand safety issues but the electric wheelchair I might be able to hire is a lot bigger than my tiny scooter which folds in seven seconds and goes overhead in a plane.

OK so we should have sent the welfare form earlier but as we have been on that line before in similar cabin we did not foresee any problem.  To be honest I did keep enquiring but OH presumed as did I, that it would be ok like before.

We lose 75pc if we can't go

I will not cry, I will not cry!

Edited by indiana123

12 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Cheers Sue,loved Margate and weather Saturday.There's an area like the lanes in Brighton,trendy and Bohemian.We all had lunch alfresco at a place called Charlies.Very good service and quality.Other areas are still like Jaywick but improving.

Jaywick…….the new Southwold.  Give it time.  Quite a lot of time.

Ironic that the original plans for Jaywick were for an upmarket retreat.  High time the money was made available to sort out the problems there - it would help so many people and bring so many benefits to the area.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, brian1 said:

The French own our EDF so they'll probably cut us off first to save Paris.

We have done two New year cruises on the river Seine and the captain always timed it so

sailing back to the UK , we had two New Years . I must have been a devil for punishment 

back then as the next morning I would have energy issues but nothing to do with  EDF😉

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Upsetting morning. Due to cruise on QV in three weeks.  Heard this morning that I can't take my tiny mobility scooter.   

I understand safety issues but the electric wheelchair I might be able to hire is a lot bigger than my tiny scooter which folds in seven seconds and goes overhead in a plane.

OK so we should have sent the welfare form earlier but as we have been on that line before in similar cabin we did not foresee any problem.  To be honest I did keep enquiring but OH presumed as did I, that it would be ok like before.

Sorry to read this ,could you not put this post over on the Cunard board as well ?

Just maybe someone over there may have a solution to your plight .

I hope so 😊

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

That's a new one,must be something to do with battery fires.When Americans are onboard there seems to be loads of scooters around,that's gonna cause a few rows.Can you hire one with swords on the wheels like in Ben Hur.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Ooh that sounds very upmarket for Margate 😃 Must admit it’s not somewhere we go often!

A friend of mine who grew up in London but now lives in Kent said they all went to Margate as children whereas all us locals seemed to go to Broadstairs! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Oh no, how upsetting. Hope you can get something sorted.

5 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Ooh that sounds very upmarket for Margate 😃 Must admit it’s not somewhere we go often!

A friend of mine who grew up in London but now lives in Kent said they all went to Margate as children whereas all us locals seemed to go to Broadstairs! 

My Mrs used to go there from Whitechapel often when she was a kid.Lovely beach.

43 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

So sorry to hear this, but hope you manage to get something sorted. 

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

I hope someone has a rethink and let’s you take your scooter

Failing that - could you hire a lightweight folding wheelchair to take onboard?  Not the same, I know, but it could save your holiday and your cash

I really hope you work something out.  Good luck

• Like 1

Yes, I might be able to hire an electric wheelchair for use on board  BUT its much bigger than my scooter, and much heavier.    My little buggy folds to less than 14" in height, weighs only 17 kilos,  folds in 7 seconds, wheels like a suitcase when folded, and they say it can go overhead in a plane. 

Their  electric wheelchair weighs 36 kilos, and is much bigger than my little buggy, which, incidentally, can slide under the bed when not in use.

I fully understand their Health and Safety Rules, but in this case they are asking me to use something, bigger, heavier, and less versatile.  We are waiting for more comments.

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63483668

They reckon there may be power cuts during the winter. The attached article is about paying people not to use power at peak times to avoid blackouts.

Enjoy those planned breaks.

Only a couple of hours before the traffic chaos starts, local cricket club has its fireworks display tonight, which for the past 5 years has meant gridlock on the road outside our house for around 3 hours, sounds of car horns & shouting as drivers struggle to get through. I not the cricket club this year have opened up there small car park to pre booked parking and asked people to walk to event, I think this was after numerous complaints from local residents about having their drives blocked and either not being able to park on getting home from work or able to got out in the evening. Will see what happens this year to see if there is any improvement. 

4 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

I hope someone has a rethink and let’s you take your scooter

Failing that - could you hire a lightweight folding wheelchair to take onboard?  Not the same, I know, but it could save your holiday and your cash

I really hope you work something out.  Good luck

I think you are right, I THINK  a folding manual wheelchair can go in an ordinary cabin but check with the cruise line. From memory I think we stayed on one with a wheelchair but think it was on Royal Caribbean 

Michelle

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Only a couple of hours before the traffic chaos starts, local cricket club has its fireworks display tonight, which for the past 5 years has meant gridlock on the road outside our house for around 3 hours, sounds of car horns & shouting as drivers struggle to get through. I not the cricket club this year have opened up there small car park to pre booked parking and asked people to walk to event, I think this was after numerous complaints from local residents about having their drives blocked and either not being able to park on getting home from work or able to got out in the evening. Will see what happens this year to see if there is any improvement. 

When my mum was alive, God rest her, we used to go to her house every year as the local organised display could just be viewed through the trees from her balcony.

The fireworks were fun but the car park dodging and parking disputes even more so, like you they blocked drives etc so we always had to go early to get parked in advance.

Even better was the odd time someone decided to use one of her trees as, shall we say, a “facility”. We could see them but they could not see us. She used to shine her high powered torch down on them and ask them what they thought they were doing in her sharpest school tone of voice! Ever seen a grown man jump while…….. I have.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

For the first time no gridlock, traffic moving freely, seems people have taken notice of pleas from councillors, community groups, police and the cricket club and walked there, seems to be more people on foot this year than previously. 

• Like 4

Woken this morning... my body clock's still on the old time... 8˚C outside and 20˚C inside without the heating on and so the cunning plans seem to be working. The prep comes from having been brought up in the north of Scotland and remembering the 20' snow drifts, the days without power and the weeks without being able to go to school.

This winter, we're being a bit more planned than usual. We ensured that we always have a digital powerpack fully charged so that we can access info via our phone, aim to maintain a minimum inside temp of 18˚C, have insulated the outside walls next to the boiler, sealed any gaps around pipework leaving the house, have a small stock of essential food that we can have ready in minutes and we have two dodgy double-glazed windows being fixed next week.

However in the event of all else failing... we have the ultimate preppers' survival kit... guaranteed to provide emergency rations including fruit, carbohydrates and proteins for one adult for four days and to supply essential vitamins, fluids and an inner warmth... indeed... instant hippieness. 

And if we don't need that extra Christmas cake and the wine box as emergency rations... don't think that they'll go to waste!

• Like 5