P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Lovely sunny day down here, but cold.

Washing finished and about to put it out on the line, then a trip down to Asda followed by a day of baking is on the cards.

Didn't get up to Truro on Wednesday as planned, so went yesterday and got stuck in traffic due to a broken down car. Managed to get into town eventually and got in the lift in Marks and just before it reached the ground floor was told that the lift is overloaded🥴 There was only one other lady and myself in it😲 I know I need to loose some weight, but I didnt thnk I was that heavy!🤷‍♀️🤣 Needless to say I didn't get in the same lift when I returned!

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

36 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Washing finished and about to put it out on the line, then a trip down to Asda followed by a day of baking is on the cards.

Didn't get up to Truro on Wednesday as planned, so went yesterday and got stuck in traffic due to a broken down car. Managed to get into town eventually and got in the lift in Marks and just before it reached the ground floor was told that the lift is overloaded🥴 There was only one other lady and myself in it😲 I know I need to loose some weight, but I didnt thnk I was that heavy!🤷‍♀️🤣 Needless to say I didn't get in the same lift when I returned!

The lift incident made me laugh. I remember my Aunt who was blind had scales that spoke her weight. When there was a family gathering she was showing us how they worked. Unfortunately they had gone wrong and needed re-calibration because in a very loud voice they announced to the whole neighbourhood that she weighed 18 stone. She was in fact about 10 stone. We never let her forget it…..🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Third day of foggy conditions here, not only foggy but cold as well, outdoor thermometer shows temp at 1C. 🥶

Finished the insulation of greenhouse just need to build insulation “boxes” for overwintering plants in there, reducing the use of greenhouse heater given the price of gas bottles to power it. 

44 minutes ago, purplesea said:

We’ve had 4 days of overcast skies and temperature of between 4 and 6c. We resisted putting the gas central heating on until the last few weeks but this week even with the thermostat turned down a degree or two from previous years still costing £8 a day in gas! This time last year we were on a fixed deal costing 2.5p a unit now is the price capped 10p 4x the cost!

Edited by Splice the mainbrace
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I was ‘invited’ to sign up to edf ‘ beat the peak’ scheme to use less electricity at peak times during a few days over winter. I have signed up as there is nothing to lose, you get a financial reward by using less power at peak times (£3 per kWh) compared to normal usage at peak times. We don’t normally use power hungry appliances at peak times but to get the most out of the scheme you need to use them now at peak times on the other not ‘beat the peak’ days to up your normal usage at these times,  it seems a bit counter intuitive to me!

I dont think that's how you're supposed to be approaching this energy saving initiative.🤔

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I dont think that's how you're supposed to be approaching this energy saving initiative.🤔

A bit like fuelling the car up at a garage only to find a garage 2 mile up the road is selling 

their fuel 5p a litre cheaper ! 

Do I now take the car for a run up and down the motorway to burn fuel off ,so I don't miss 

out on the 2nd garages offer ? 😕 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We’re not planning to change our normal times for washing, tumble drying etc which is off peak times anyway. I was just pointing out how the financial reward calculation works.

• Like 1

We were asked to join the eon test last night between 5 pm and 6pm will see what results are in 72 hours . So we sat with no lights on heating off for an hour no kettle boiled for tea till after 6pm don't think that will make any difference to the amount they want us  to save .The only other thing we could do is switch tele off and that would be POINTLESS missed ,so don't think we will be bothering with future exercises when we are already trying to do our bit 

• Like 3

Last night we were watching various Christmas markets people have filmed on Youtube.

Some were good and actually showed you around and also what's on the stalls .

Others were to busy filming themselves ,so you hadn't got a clue what the stalls were selling .

Two of the best markets were in Germany and Slovakia and had Christmas carols playing 

and even a nativity scene ,a thing we noted was missing from our UK towns and city markets.

Ours seemed more stick a fairground in the town centre and those cone shaped things that 

resemble a Christmas tree ,whilst playing anything but festive music .

To say the newspapers are full of doom on how Christmas will be a disaster ,most UK markets seemed rammed with people queuing up to buy a cup of mulled wine or a German sausage costing anything between four to six pounds . Maybe not too bad ,who knows .

We aren't going to any markets this year but if we were we would head abroad as we think they are better . In our country the ones around London seemed the better ones but the best market to us not very festive but the varied choice of goods ,was the Bourough market would be our choice .

If your off to any markets ,wrap up warm and enjoy 😊

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3

Good morning.

Dull and dismal here again today and a lovely 3 degrees (good group😉) I'll get that one in before kalos😁

I'm totally confused about this EDF thingy, I can't understand it all🤔. A good thing it doesn't apply to us.

I know the cost of electricity has shot up and I do try to cut down on usage, as we all are, but when we're cold we make sure the fire is banked up and the pump is on, when I need to wash, I wash, when we're ready to eat, I cook with the air fryer and/ or microwave where I can. We save in other ways where possible, but it would drive me nuts to have a smart meter and to constantly check how much I use hourly or daily. 

Still trying to dredge up some enthusiasum to decorate the christmas tree, but it's still sat in the loft patiently waiting. 

Maybe next week.

Take care everyone.x

Avril

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I was ‘invited’ to sign up to edf ‘ beat the peak’ scheme to use less electricity at peak times during a few days over winter. I have signed up as there is nothing to lose, you get a financial reward by using less power at peak times (£3 per kWh) compared to normal usage at peak times. We don’t normally use power hungry appliances at peak times but to get the most out of the scheme you need to use them now at peak times on the other not ‘beat the peak’ days to up your normal usage at these times,  it seems a bit counter intuitive to me!

Ovo are introducing something similar but different. It appears to be willing to give a discount for reducing use during times when consumption is too high to be covered by renewable energy (peak times). Off peak times, you can use as much as you want because renewable energy is more readily available. They will use the smart meter data to monitor usage at different times of the day. I am therefore considering becoming nocturnal to save money - if it can work for badgers it can work for me. 🦡

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Good morning.

Dull and dismal here again today and a lovely 3 degrees (good group😉) I'll get that one in before kalos😁

I'm totally confused about this EDF thingy, I can't understand it all🤔. A good thing it doesn't apply to us.

I know the cost of electricity has shot up and I do try to cut down on usage, as we all are, but when we're cold we make sure the fire is banked up and the pump is on, when I need to wash, I wash, when we're ready to eat, I cook with the air fryer and/ or microwave where I can. We save in other ways where possible, but it would drive me nuts to have a smart meter and to constantly check how much I use hourly or daily. 

Still trying to dredge up some enthusiasum to decorate the christmas tree, but it's still sat in the loft patiently waiting. 

Maybe next week.

Take care everyone.x

Avril

We have a smart meter and I must confess I glance at it a few times a day as it’s in the kitchen. I won’t be cold in my own home so I just think we don’t smoke at all or drink excessively so if the heating needs to be on I put it on. We have shut the conservatory off though at the moment as it was adding £6/7 per day extra.

Our Christmas decorations are going up next weekend. The grandchildren are staying so they will be excited to help.

Hope you are all having a good day 

Michelle

• Like 10

On 12/1/2022 at 11:21 AM, Adawn47 said:

I don't think so Harry, but maybe kalos can confirm it. I see them labelled as chipolatas now.

At least if I ever come across 'links of thin' again I'll know what they are😁

So will you😄

Avril

I had the same when I was working in Scotland. 'Ordinary' sausages known as "link sausage" as opposed to Lorne Sausage, the one that is a flat, squarish sausage patty.

• Like 2

Recently returned from Spain so of course I am enjoying the lovely weather we are all having here...

It was a super couple of weeks, with only one night of overnight rain and half a day of drizzle and cloud. Sunny the rest of the time with temperatures between 18⁰ and 24⁰.

Now got to get my head into gear to get ready for Christmas.

Looking at the newly released Cunard itineraries for 2024 this morning. It has left me really confused as to what Carnival UK are thinking. Relatively few round trips from Southampton apart from QM2, which of course has the regular New York runs. Queen Anne also out of Southampton but again, pretty boring same-old itineraries. Victoria based in the Med for fly-cruises. Unless Princess come up with something interesting on Island Princess, I'm unlikely to be sailing on a Carnival brand in 2024...

Hope I haven't missed anything too exciting whilst I've been absent...

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Recently returned from Spain so of course I am enjoying the lovely weather we are all having here...

It was a super couple of weeks, with only one night of overnight rain and half a day of drizzle and cloud. Sunny the rest of the time with temperatures between 18⁰ and 24⁰.

Now got to get my head into gear to get ready for Christmas.

Looking at the newly released Cunard itineraries for 2024 this morning. It has left me really confused as to what Carnival UK are thinking. Relatively few round trips from Southampton apart from QM2, which of course has the regular New York runs. Queen Anne also out of Southampton but again, pretty boring same-old itineraries. Victoria based in the Med for fly-cruises. Unless Princess come up with something interesting on Island Princess, I'm unlikely to be sailing on a Carnival brand in 2024...

Hope I haven't missed anything too exciting whilst I've been absent...

Queen Victoria summer in the med returns to Southampton on 21st October 2024 and then no other cruises listed (refit?) and Queen Elizabeth I assume staying out in the Pacific.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kalos said:

Two of the best markets were in Germany and Slovakia and had Christmas carols playing 

and even a nativity scene ,a thing we noted was missing from our UK towns and city markets.

Ours seemed more stick a fairground in the town centre and those cone shaped things that 

resemble a Christmas tree ,whilst playing anything but festive music .

To say the newspapers are full of doom on how Christmas will be a disaster ,most UK markets seemed rammed with people queuing up to buy a cup of mulled wine or a German sausage costing anything between four to six pounds . Maybe not too bad ,who knows .

We aren't going to any markets this year but if we were we would head abroad as we think they are better . In our country the ones around London seemed the better ones but the best market to us not very festive but the varied choice of goods ,was the Bourough market would be our choice .

If your off to any markets ,wrap up warm and enjoy 😊

I love a German Christmas market!  But not so much the big ones like Cologne or Dusseldorf; more the small town ones which don't have folk arriving in coaches and you can park nearby (lol, crucial that bit, these days). Hattingen, with its half-timbered houses in the Ruhr area is a favourite. It's not like I buy anything, other than mulled wine and maybe the souvenir mug it comes in, oh and possibly a sausage, but I just love the atmosphere. I've really missed a December German trip since Covid and, all being well, I'll be planning on a trip again next December 🤞.  Maybe you should do the same Kalos 😉

104-0477_IMG.JPG

• Like 7

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

E135A176-2468-49F3-8015-D73C076E8DA7.jpeg.87813c707e2297323e680cf447e60241.jpeg

image.png.3b961068cda9252e76ac7243a34b73fc.png

You seem to be posting a lot of cat memes Graham ? 

Are you thinking of getting one yourself 😊

Our Grandkids kept pestering last Christmas for a cat but after all the upset it caused ,

I think we are going back to having turkey again :classic_unsure:

• Haha 18

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Queen Victoria summer in the med returns to Southampton on 21st October 2024 and then no other cruises listed (refit?) and Queen Elizabeth I assume staying out in the Pacific.

Thinking about it, QV is probably going to be based in the Caribbean for the winter but the sailings haven’t been released yet.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

We have a smart meter and I must confess I glance at it a few times a day as it’s in the kitchen. I won’t be cold in my own home so I just think we don’t smoke at all or drink excessively so if the heating needs to be on I put it on. We have shut the conservatory off though at the moment as it was adding £6/7 per day extra.

Our Christmas decorations are going up next weekend. The grandchildren are staying so they will be excited to help.

Hope you are all having a good day 

Michelle

We have a smart meter. It sits in a bowl in a kitchen cupboard. Every few weeks, probably more like a few months, I wonder if it still works. So I plug it in...yep that works OK, so back in the bowl in the cupboard. Is that what you are supposed to do ?.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have a smart meter. It sits in a bowl in a kitchen cupboard. Every few weeks, probably more like a few months, I wonder if it still works. So I plug it in...yep that works OK, so back in the bowl in the cupboard. Is that what you are supposed to do ?.

That is probably a good idea. It was unplugged for about three years then for whatever reason Hubby decided to plug it in. No idea why

Michelle

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

I love a German Christmas market!  But not so much the big ones like Cologne or Dusseldorf; more the small town ones which don't have folk arriving in coaches and you can park nearby (lol, crucial that bit, these days). Hattingen, with its half-timbered houses in the Ruhr area is a favourite. It's not like I buy anything, other than mulled wine and maybe the souvenir mug it comes in, oh and possibly a sausage, but I just love the atmosphere. I've really missed a December German trip since Covid and, all being well, I'll be planning on a trip again next December 🤞.  Maybe you should do the same Kalos 😉

104-0477_IMG.JPG

When my children were small we were lucky enough to live in Bavaria for just over two years. We lived about 30km outside Munich, the Christmas market there is fabulous. All the smaller towns have their own too which are also just lovely. It seems a lot more Christmassy(is that a word?) over there 

Michelle

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Peanut006 said:

That is probably a good idea. It was unplugged for about three years then for whatever reason Hubby decided to plug it in. No idea why

Michelle

Unfortunately Michelle you won't understand. It a man thing. Does it work. If not shall I get in an expert to fix it, or bugger it up myself.😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Unfortunately Michelle you won't understand. It a man thing. Does it work. If not shall I get in an expert to fix it, or bugger it up myself.😂

Hubby usually does the latter then I get someone in to fix it!!

Michelle

• Haha 1