P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Someone mentioned light hearted programmes. We watched a re run (yet again) of the Good Life the other day when Margot's Christmas is not delivered by Harrod's because she sent it back as her tree was 6 inches too short. Made us laugh so much. Nothing like good old comedy programmes so think we will stick to those over Christmas. Don't fancy anything deep and meaningful this year !

We have been watching Last of the summer wine on channel 20, from the very beginning. We have both agreed that we have found it funnier this time around than the originals. I recon its because we can now associate with them more as we are getting to their ages.

28 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Believe he's a Middlesbrough lad - can't get much more northern than that.

I can sometimes predict who you do and don't like... One of life's mysteries is how he got under the Beeb's radar.

Fancy a spot of Quentin Letts, or perhaps Richard Littlejohn, next? <ducks hastily>😉 

Matthew Parris please, Annie  - and he’s a Conservative of course.  

Or Chris Patten, another Conservative, though he did recently say “I don’t think that Mr Johnson is a Conservative, I think he is an English nationalist. And all the things that Conservatives used to believe in – like standing up for the union, like not attacking our institutions, like the judges, like believing in international cooperation – seem to have gone out of the window.”

Deep down, I’m probably a Conservative, but a more traditional one with respect for integrity and the law!

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I saw a short clip this morning of the mass migration at London train stations, and then they wonder why this virus is still spreading!!!! Honestly, I give up😲

Avril

Don't give up Avril. Have another cuppa and start on the Christmas biscuit cupboard. That cruise programme is on at 7.00pm. That should cheer us all up🤣

17 minutes ago, kalos said:

Our bin day is Friday but as you can see they are coming  this Thursday 24 DEC.

We like to work our bin men :classic_wink:

20201220_130824.thumb.jpg.954c355c9a062a4c1fa5eae9ec9a0f0a.jpg

Our bin day is Friday too, but they're coming tomorrow!!!! At least they'll be emptied😁

Avril

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I guess it is inevitable that it will spread across the country. Slowing it down will only work if folk follow the rules. Any bets on that happening?

I don't like gambling Zap, it's a mugs game but, because I think this is a no-brainer I might change my mind just this one time😁

Avril

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I saw a short clip this morning of the mass migration at London train stations, and then they wonder why this virus is still spreading!!!! Honestly, I give up😲

Avril

You are not the only one Avril .Mrs Kalos has a forum she uses and it's for locals in our area.

A local A&E nurse sounds like she is at the end of her tether and you can bet her feelings are 

the same up and down the country as well ..... 

We are all trying. We are all tired & we all have family we are worried about too. Whether that be Covid19 related or the impact on their mental health. xx
��
‘The respect is gone.
The appreciation is gone.
The “thank you so much for working through this” has been replaced by “this is ridiculous”.
The threats of calling senior managers and being shouted at down the phone by understandably frustrated relatives are at an all time high.
The annoyed eye rolls and huffy sighs when you tell them “it shouldn’t be much longer, we are doing the best we can” are really starting to chip away at our morale.
The free coffee and meals are a thing of the past.
The hotel lights in the shape of hearts aren’t on anymore.
The neighbours that waved us off to work and told us to “stay safe” have gone back inside.
The community that displayed “heroes work here” signs have turned their backs on us.
And the local rag is back to pointing out our short comings
We are still here. We are still fighting. We are working harder than we ever have.
We are exhausted.
We are frustrated.
We are so emotionally and physically drained.
We are skipping breaks.
We are going in early and coming home late.
We are missing time with our families. We are doing THE. BEST. WE. CAN.
We aren’t “healthcare heroes” anymore. We have become slaves to this pandemic, and it is really exhausting.
So please, if you read this and for some reason find yourself needing us then please cut the staff some slack.
Try to be grateful. Try to have some respect. Please respect the NHS and emergency services ��❤️��

Edited by kalos
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Don't give up Avril. Have another cuppa and start on the Christmas biscuit cupboard.

We've done that Zap.Twice. I've already replenished it so it's ready to go, and I have a Christmas order coming on the 23rd, so  there's time to do it again😄

Avril

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We have been watching Last of the summer wine on channel 20, from the very beginning. We have both agreed that we have found it funnier this time around than the originals. I recon its because we can now associate with them more as we are getting to their ages.

We are spending the weekend watching Christmas films, so let's have a little quiz... 

Name the film from the line below... 

'8 is a lot of legs David'

Andy 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Nothing like good old comedy programmes so think we will stick to those over Christmas.

Well this episode of One Foot In The Grave is an all time classic.

Twenty minutes into this film and I am in pain with laughter :classic_smile:

Enjoy ...:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, kalos said:

You are not the only one Avril .Mrs Kalos has a forum she uses and it's for locals in our area.

A local A&E nurse sounds like she is at the end of her tether and you can bet her feelings are 

We are all trying. We are all tired & we all have family we are worried about too. Whether that be Covid19 related or the impact on their mental health. xx
��
‘The respect is gone.
The “thank you so much for working through this” has been replaced by “this is ridiculous”.
The threats of calling senior managers and being shouted at down the phone by understandably frustrated relatives are at an all time high.
The annoyed eye rolls and huffy sighs when you tell them “it shouldn’t be much longer, we are doing the best we can” are really starting to chip away at our morale.
The neighbours that waved us off to work and told us to “stay safe” have gone back inside.
The community that displayed “heroes work here” signs have turned their backs on us.
We are still here. We are still fighting. We are working harder than we ever have.
We are exhausted.
We are frustrated.
We are skipping breaks.
We aren’t “healthcare heroes” anymore. We have become slaves to this pandemic, and it is really exhausting.
So please, if you read this and for some reason find yourself needing us then please cut the staff some slack.
Try to be grateful. Try to have some respect. Please respect the NHS and emergency services ��❤️��

Well said Kalos.

People are fickle

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

But the sun has come out this end --- hopefully it will make its way to you 😉

Yes the sun has arrived! There is even a tiny (and I mean tiny) but of blue sky. Hope it holds off for the next hour or so, got to nip over to ours daughters to fleece up a couple of plants before the frosts later in the week. ❄️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Anyone else got one of these new deep fried Christmas trees this year?  It’s OK, but the fat dripping off it isn’t ideal.

image.thumb.jpeg.605b5c19ecd6f223ad8d249bc5d07ac2.jpeg

What’s with the half drunk glasses of milk. Are they set out to play Santa Claus is coming to town on or are they measured amounts for all the reindeer? 😇

Edited by pete14
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, kalos said:

You are not the only one Avril .Mrs Kalos has a forum see uses and it's for locals in our area.

��
‘The respect is gone.
We are exhausted.
We are frustrated.
We are skipping breaks.

Kalos I'm in tears here. My grand daughter is a nurse and she also says how bad it's getting. I'm trying very hard  right now to post without getting angry, as it solves nothing.

The lack of consideration for our fellow man is astounding. I get so frustrated with the continuous blaming of this ongoing pandemic on everyone else but themselves. The total selfishness towards each other and the annoying way they assume they are more important. It's time this blame culture stopped and every single one of us needs to realise that we, ultimately, are responsible for the outcome of this virus on ourselves, our family, our friends, our wonderful frontline workers and our country. 

Sorry  about the vent Kalos, but that has been churning inside me since yesterday's briefing and seeing the reactions from some of the politicians, media and general public. I shall now go and lay down in a darkened room, but by 'eck lad that does feel better?😉

Avril

• Like 13

48 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Yes the sun has arrived! There is even a tiny (and I mean tiny) but of blue sky. Hope it holds off for the next hour or so, got to nip over to ours daughters to fleece up a couple of plants before the frosts later in the week. ❄️

It’s the shortest day everyone.  Here, at least, it’s a lovely day

Me beginning of the end, let’s cope with 25 December (it’s only a date) and let’s look towards the longest day, in 6 months time, and to us all seeing a positive future

Ho hum

Keep smiling.  Be happy with what you have; don’t make it worthless grieving for what you haven’t 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Kalos I'm in tears here. My grand daughter is a nurse and she also says how bad it's getting. I'm trying very hard  right now to post without getting angry, as it solves nothing.

The lack of consideration for our fellow man is astounding. I get so frustrated with the continuous blaming of this ongoing pandemic on everyone else but themselves. The total selfishness towards each other and the annoying way they assume they are more important. It's time this blame culture stopped and every single one of us needs to realise that we, ultimately, are responsible for the outcome of this virus on ourselves, our family, our friends, our wonderful frontline workers and our country. 

Sorry  about the vent Kalos, but that has been churning inside me since yesterday's briefing and seeing the reactions from some of the politicians, media and general public. I shall now go and lay down in a darkened room, but by 'eck lad that does feel better?😉

Avril

Cases here too, in our village, and that’s been almost unheard of until now. Most people here behave sensibly, but some of the cases were hospital acquired, like Graham’s. Not a lot you can do about that, except try to get to a green site if that’s feasible, and even then it only reduces the risk.

When you see statistics suggesting that in some areas up to 30% of cases are hospital acquired it changes your thinking.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Well said Avril.

Just like I said to Kalos people are very fickle and our NHS workers deserve better from everyone of us.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Don't be sorry , if we don't care about those who scrape us up and try to make everything better again , they need our support and respect .

We would be in a sorry state without them .

Sure there are lots of other people out there doing a fantastic jobs and they too need our help and support .

I cannot imagine what they are going through, some may try to blind us with figures they  pick up out of a newspaper ,they need to ask themselves "How many people did you see pass away this week ? "

We need to get back to supporting each other a Smile & thank you goes a long way.

Keep smiling lass , we will get there :classic_smile:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Cases here too, in our village, and that’s been almost unheard of until now. Most people here behave sensibly, but some of the cases were hospital acquired, like Graham’s. Not a lot you can do about that, except try to get to a green site if that’s feasible, and even then it only reduces the risk.

When you see statistics suggesting that in some areas up to 30% of cases are hospital acquired it changes your thinking.

Much of the spread is not actually people behaving badly (though there are some selfish idiots out there doing stupid things of course). People have to have health care, have go to work, have to food shop,  schools etc. 

The business of even very careful daily life spreads this virus. 

• Like 5