P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

25 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

The best pork pies here, which have also won awards, are Denis Speed's. Beautiful, especially fresh from the oven and still warm.😋

Avril

That brings back memories of my first job as a 16yr old junior in the YEB, I would regularly be sent out to buy fresh baked pies from McKitricks, a local butcher on the town centre high street, there are not many of those remaining now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Morning Presto, grey and dull here too. Yesterday was so sunny too.

My sister is getting her first jab today so that’s good news, she’s 54 with no health conditions so very good. She lives in Worthing, hope we can get to visit her soon, it’s been too long.

That's a youngster for Worthing🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

That brings back memories of my first job as a 16yr old junior in the YEB, I would regularly be sent out to buy fresh baked pies from McKitricks, a local butcher on the town centre high street, there are not many of those remaining now. 

We still have a high st. So many charity shops🤔

30 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

The best pork pies here, which have also won awards, are Denis Speed's. Beautiful, especially fresh from the oven and still warm.😋

Avril

And there is another debate for pork pie aficionado's; should they be eaten hot or cold, personally I don't mind but if I am having them with mushy peas it has to be hot, with lashings of mint sauce. The same debate stands for black pudding, hot for breakfast, cold any other time, in my humble opinion of course. I mean are we allowed to say black pudding anymore, or white pudding for that matter, both of which I have on the P&O full English.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Do you mean Mettrics John, I remember them in Town, we also had one in Holmfirth, they were the best back in the day. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We're lucky enough to still have Speed's butchers in our village, but his pork pies are only a yearly treat now at Christmas. Got to watch the diet nowadays.

Avril

27 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

And there is another debate for pork pie aficionado's; should they be eaten hot or cold, personally I don't mind but if I am having them with mushy peas it has to be hot, with lashings of mint sauce. The same debate stands for black pudding, hot for breakfast, cold any other time, in my humble opinion of course. I mean are we allowed to say black pudding anymore, or white pudding for that matter, both of which I have on the P&O full English.

Pork pie debate,  freshly baked and eaten while still warm, with or without mushy peas. I can't eat them cold when the jelly and fat sets and the crust hardens.

Black or white pudding,   neither hot nor cold,  just none at all, thank you anyway😬 

Avril

We have a family butcher’s near us, Hibberts. They have been in the town for at least 55 years that I know of. They butcher their own meat which is not as common as it used to be. Since my husband retired he has done the butcher’s shopping. He loves it and comes back with all sorts. One of his favourites is oxtail. It makes a fantastic stew with a really rich and tasty gravy. I love pork pies but don’t eat them anymore as I have to watch my blood pressure.  Could kill for one now they have been mentioned. 

• Like 2

As a lad, I had a Saturday job, delivering bread to various villages around Colchester, in an A55 van with a column gear change.

The bakery was run by two brothers, and used a coal fired oven. Before starting my round, I helped "bang out" the loaves, with my hands being protected by mitts made out of old flour sacks. I then loaded up the steaming loaves into the van, and set off, trying to see through the condensation caused by the hot bread. And the smell........unbelievable.  I'm drooling as I type.

Nowadays the whole place would be shut down by Health and Safety. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

As a lad, I had a Saturday job, delivering bread to various villages around Colchester, in an A55 van with a column gear change.

The bakery was run by two brothers, and used a coal fired oven. Before starting my round, I helped "bang out" the loaves, with my hands being protected by mitts made out of old flour sacks. I then loaded up the steaming loaves into the van, and set off, trying to see through the condensation caused by the hot bread. And the smell........unbelievable.  I'm drooling as I type.

You’ll remember the dearly loved but long gone Baughan’s I guess? Shops across Colchester.

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Do you mean Mettrics John, I remember them in Town, we also had one in Holmfirth, they were the best back in the day. 

You're right of course, but in my defense it was a long time ago, and the shop was probably closed in the late 60s or 70s, but they were very tasty, especially with the gravy running off the end of your chin.😇

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Name rings a bell, but I can't say I really remember them.

A long time ago. Virtually invisible online now, but apparently a Braintree company with branches across NE Essex. I imagine the supermarkets did for them, but half Colchester used to get their meat and bakery products there - including pork pies!

And chitterlings, but the less said about that the better!

All this talk about freshly baked bread, reminds me of when I was married and we moved into our first home, a  2up 2down, and our elderly neighbour used to make oven-bottom cakes, literally baked on the metal plates in the coal oven. She would always bring one round for us on Saturdays and we'd give her some tomatoes or vegetables from the garden. Saturday teatime was always well buttered warm crusty bread with cheese and pickles. The simple life. Nice memories.

Avril

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, wowzz said:

My husband had a job (during university holidays)driving a van to deliver bread and he ended up working in Health and Safety! Times change.

• Like 2

Weather improved late morning, however had to closed all windows in house when workers at flats opposite decided to set fire to the undergrowth they had cut back in preparation for surfacing of the car park at the back of the building. The North Westerly breeze blew all the smoke across my neighbours houses as well as mine, can still smell the smoke, fortunately I have the building owners mobile number and he came down and resolved the issue, he apologised said they were meant to take it away not burn it.

This afternoon finished pruning roses , cut back the ivy and other climbers. Sort the rotted apples from the storage in garage, appears we had a visitation from mice, so just in case they have moved into garage have laid down a few traps. Noticed that part of the seal beneath the garage door has perished, so probably how they got in, need to get a new one. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

My vote.

Cold for pork pie.

No thanks for black pudding.🍾

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not tried those, unless perhaps unknowingly as a student in Birmingham, way, way back. Or during misspent time there at Cradley Heath dog track!

How do they differ from what I’d regard as the best pork pies - the ones styled Melton Mowbray made with uncured pork?

I would think you could have got an excellent pork pie at Cradley Heath, better perhaps than Birmingham. 

In my uneducated opinion, Melton Mowbray pies have pink meat with little seasoning whereas the ones I like have pork that is more grey than pink, coarsely cut with a healthy dash of black pepper and enough jelly for flavour and texture.

7 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I would think you could have got an excellent pork pie at Cradley Heath, better perhaps than Birmingham. 

In my uneducated opinion, Melton Mowbray pies have pink meat with little seasoning whereas the ones I like have pork that is more grey than pink, coarsely cut with a healthy dash of black pepper and enough jelly for flavour and texture.

Banks' Mild, a pork pie and a cheese cob - followed by an evening at the greyhound track and a bus back to Brum.

Beat that for a night out!

You might be surprised by a genuine Melton Mowbray pork pie (it's a protected name) - not cured pork, not pink, and maybe rather like the ones you like.

Melton Mowbray Pork pie

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Banks' Mild, a pork pie and a cheese cob - followed by an evening at the greyhound track and a bus back to Brum.

You might be surprised by a genuine Melton Mowbray pork pie (it's a protected name) - not cured pork, not pink, and maybe rather like the ones you like.

Melton Mowbray Pork pie

Now that's a perfect pork pork pie. 

Avril

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Melton Mowbray Pork pie

Thanks for making me feel hungry Harry. The pie looks good, I would be open minded and give it a try. I prefer Banks’ bitter to mild though. 

5 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Thanks for making me feel hungry Harry. The pie looks good, I would be open minded and give it a try. I prefer Banks’ bitter to mild though. 

Sorry Pete! 

And the Mild? I was a student  - it was cheaper than the Bitter! Good brewery though.