P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, indiana123 said:

OK so I might get told orf for putting this on here but I might save some posters a lot of time today!!

Finally got through to register for P and O and was told very firmly that P and O have given strict instructions about no registering.  We can only ring on Monday morning. It will be chaos.

I'll get me tin 'at!

TA said the same when we expressed an interest.

Prices we would pay for select price but these have no ports( free shuttles)

No OBC or free parking no picking your own cabin.

6 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Morning all, I was going to post about a hoo har I’m having with my vaccination which took up a lot of time last night, seems appropriate after the P&O news this morning!

I had my first jab in January organised through my work although I had to go about 45 minutes away. I enjoyed the drive to be honest, it was nice to get  out! Next one due 31st March exactly 12 weeks to the day.

Last night I got a text to say they’d all been cancelled 😡 and to rebook. I clicked on the link and found I could go to Chatham (10 minutes away) Gravesend (20 minutes) or Folkestone (about an hour!)

Panicking as from past experience they get booked up quickly I booked for Gravesend but it was 13 weeks from my first one! Trying to book on my phone screen and having to put in my medication details while checking John’s work schedule (he has to drive me) all part of the stress! The Chatham one  didn’t have a suitable date.

This morning I’ve just checked my work emails and it had a list of suggested dates. For the date I need it suggested Folkestone this Sunday!! Earlier than the 12 weeks but do we want to go that far?? Now waiting for John to respond to my text in his break but that will be a couple of hours yet!

What a faff! Someone I work with hasn’t got health conditions like myself and another colleague so she was envious when we got our jabs. Now it’s  going so well she was invited to a much closer venue and last week got her second one! Through our work again!

A real faff! In this area of Wales, we just get sent an appointment by post so no choice of location or date/time. In fact I’m just back from the hub having had my first jab first thing today. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

A real faff! In this area of Wales, we just get sent an appointment by post so no choice of location or date/time. In fact I’m just back from the hub having had my first jab first thing today. 

This is because I’m NHS staff, hilariously my non NHS friends and husband  are going much more local!

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

At least you've had your first jab, you're halfway there👍

Avril

• Like 2

Things not looking good for April. This from the BBC

"A letter from the NHS, seen by the BBC, has warned local health leaders there will be a "significant reduction in weekly supply" of the Covid vaccine from the week of 29 March, for a four-week period.

The letter says "volumes for first doses will be significantly constrained" and there has been a "reduction in national inbound vaccines supply".

The letter says from today, "the supply constraint means vaccination centres and community pharmacy-led local vaccination services should close unfilled bookings from 29 March".

Those centres should also make sure no more appointments are uploaded to the national booking system, or local booking systems, for April.

The BBC understands no one who has booked a vaccine already should lose their slot."

47 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Things not looking good for April. This from the BBC

"A letter from the NHS, seen by the BBC, has warned local health leaders there will be a "significant reduction in weekly supply" of the Covid vaccine from the week of 29 March, for a four-week period.

The letter says "volumes for first doses will be significantly constrained" and there has been a "reduction in national inbound vaccines supply".

The letter says from today, "the supply constraint means vaccination centres and community pharmacy-led local vaccination services should close unfilled bookings from 29 March".

Those centres should also make sure no more appointments are uploaded to the national booking system, or local booking systems, for April.

The BBC understands no one who has booked a vaccine already should lose their slot."

The 3rd Vaccine from Moderna is due to be available from the Spring this one is 2 doses 28 days apart. 

Hopefully the Johnson&Johnson vaccine will approved in the next couple of weeks, that is a one shot vaccine. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Hopefully the Johnson&Johnson vaccine will approved in the next couple of weeks, that is a one shot vaccine. 

I would like to think the Johnson & Johnson vaccine will distributed to the more 

remote and poorer nations where the logistics of giving two jabs would not  be 

an easy option for the vaccinators .

• Like 8

4 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

My vaccination on Sunday is in the old Debenhams store. I don’t know Folkestone at all well so I’ve just been looking on google maps and it’s a huge store, how very sad.

My uncle used to live in Folkestone when I was young and we used to spend a week in the summer at his house.The highlight of the week was going to spend our pocket money in  'Bobby's' which then became Debenhams.A grand store in the 1960's but obviously closed down now😪

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ann141 said:

My uncle used to live in Folkestone when I was young and we used to spend a week in the summer at his house.The highlight of the week was going to spend our pocket money in  'Bobby's' which then became Debenhams.A grand store in the 1960's but obviously closed down now😪

It looked huge on google maps!
My Nan spent her last few years in Capel le Ferne just on the hill above Folkestone but other than going to the market that was right on the seafront on a Sunday when we visited we didn’t go into the actual town! 
When she was younger my sister and I would stay with her for a week in the holidays and then my parents would join us for another week and they’d take us out in the car, we’d go to Deal , Dymchurch and Sandwich and visiting my Great Aunts. She lived in a village between Canterbury and Dover then and so took us by train to those two towns.

• Like 1

Eye Test today, first time I will have visited the shopping centre where they are situated since 15 March 2020, hope I don’t get lost!  Likely to be an expensive visit, as my eyes have deteriorated since the last test 2 years ago, probable all the reading, Netflix and being online more in last 12 months may not have helped. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Eye Test today, first time I will have visited the shopping centre where they are situated since 15 March 2020, hope I don’t get lost!  Likely to be an expensive visit, as my eyes have deteriorated since the last test 2 years ago, probable all the reading, Netflix and being online more in last 12 months may not have helped. 

Good luck!  I’m also very keen to get new glasses, as is my wife.  Both still very reluctant to go inside any opticians until infection rates are a lot lower.

It’s not Specsavers is it?  I’d be interested to hear what safety measures are in place.

6 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

My wife has recently been to Specsavers. Very well organised and she felt very safe.

I went to have my annual check-up and stood there thinking that the glasses i have are still pretty good and this will be quick.Told the young girl assistant and she said......"specsavers is next door".

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Well it is sunny here for the third day in a row (that’s summer done then) and the good weather had enthused my OH to get out in the garden. He has planted out the hanging baskets, filled the tubs and seeded some of the grass which was looking a bit woebegone after the very heavy snow last month.

So the grass was de mossed, seeds put on,  top soil carefully added and bird deterrents  in place. He hardly had his back turned when the first blackbird was down enjoying a breakfast of fresh seed (sitting calmly admiring the shiny bird detergent). I have been gently amused for the last couple of days watching the progress of the Great bird battle of 2021 between my husband, the blackbirds and a big fat pigeon. The birds are winning.

Every so often he stalks up to the window then runs (not a frequent activity in this household) to chase the birds who are chomping down on the seed. As we have feeders and these birds are used to us they just look up then get back to eating - he has to be right up at them for them to move an inch and the minute he goes, they are back.

Much to his annoyance after the last skirmish I set up The Bantom by the Corries to play when he came back in, if you have not heard this song have a listen and you’ll get the joke.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2