P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I went into town early this morning 8.30. I only has to pick up our meds from  Boots and straight home. Only two other passengers on the bus so keeping a good distance was easy. The bus station had two people in it .When our large group got off it was heaving. A grand total of five😊. Walking towards Boots I passed maybe half a dozen people all staying at a good distance. Shouting good morning and waving to each other. Typical Yorkshire spirit during bad times. Going into Boots I was shown where to stand. I collected our meds and asked about having them delivered. They put us down as priority until this pandemic is over. That's a huge weight off my shoulders. The indoor market is closed but a couple of fruiterers and a stall selling cakes,scones and biscuits were outside. It was a weird eerie feeling in Barnsley today. It normally would have been a bustling market day full of stalls. So sad.

It's a glorious day here. It feels like June. We sat and had lunch in the garden and chatted to our neighbour Rose. She's 89 and very independent. There's hardly any traffic at all going past. It's like in used be 40 years ago. You don't realise how noisy the world's become until something like this happens. Stay well.😊

Avril

• Like 6

We went to the shops today it was busy but there seemed to be stock of most things. Even toilet rolls, but I didn't need any.

I did buy lots of easter eggs. I decided we all needed cheering up so bought them for the whole family.I had to check first that the 3 items per person didn't apply to chocolate eggs!

When I got home I found out I may still have to buy small eggs for an egg hunt as 'Donald' has declared it will all be over by Easter!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Into Gainsborough thus morning . First stop Aldi, on the edge of of town. No queues,   reasonable selection of  goods, no real attempt to enforce isolation. Then to Lidl - big bouncer chap at the door, but very polite. No more than 30 people in the store at one time.  Waited 5 minutes to get in, loads of stock, even pasta and toilet rolls. Actually,  because it was so quiet, I spent more time in the store than would normally be the case.

As an aside, I was going to nip into Tesco as well, but there was a queue to get in. What was noticeable was that Tesco had someone wiping down every  trolley before each usage  - full marks for that. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

We did our “normal” weekly shop yesterday.  Small queue to get in, most items now back in stock.  Didn’t stockpile but the cost was some 50% higher than normal.  Price hikes and lack of offers make a real difference!

What the heck did you buy and where from?  My shopping yesterday was little different to usual, and I saw no indication that any of the regular items I buy had increased, and certainly not by 50%.

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

What the heck did you buy and where from?  My shopping yesterday was little different to usual, and I saw no indication that any of the regular items I buy had increased, and certainly not by 50%.

you would get bored reading my shopping list lol.  Chocolate £1.50 normally £1.00, Broccoli £1.50 last week £0.39. Etc etc

9 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I miss cruising so much... 

All I'm doing whilst self isolating is relaxing, eating and drinking too much and wondering about what I'm going to eat next... 

Oh hang on... 😊

Andy 

We will all be needing extra exercise after this is all over.  I am sure that our 3 miles daily walk will not burn off all that we are eating even though we are eating no junk because we don't have any, not even any chocolate at the moment 🙁🙁

22 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

you would get bored reading my shopping list lol.  Chocolate £1.50 normally £1.00, Broccoli £1.50 last week £0.39. Etc etc

Blimey, are you shopping in Harrods? Broccoli 59p, from memory, in Aldi yesterday. No price rises on any of my normal shopping. 

15 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We will all be needing extra exercise after this is all over.  I am sure that our 3 miles daily walk will not burn off all that we are eating even though we are eating no junk because we don't have any, not even any chocolate at the moment 🙁🙁

No chocolate would make it unbearable for me... 

I'm just imagining my dog walks around the block are a stroll round the prom deck... 

Andy 

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

No chocolate would make it unbearable for me... 

I'm just imagining my dog walks around the block are a stroll round the prom deck... 

Andy 

After plod told me off the other day,I've been walking round our front path and car park for 20 minutes twice a day.We live on a gated complex of 6 houses,nobody else here.I'm waiting for someone to phone the men in the white coats,lol.

• Haha 1

Home schooling continues for us, we had our least productive day yesterday but at least my son did some work. Our main worry for him is not being able to see his friends but he is using FaceTime and online multiplayer games so at least he is not completely disconnected from them all. I took a break from Cruise Critic and social media most of the day and much as I love reading them I think it did me some good. 

Today I went shopping for my parents and queuing control was being enforced at Boots and M&S. The line for M&S was so well spaced out that one old dear went down the line from the front onwards asking everyone "Are you in the queue? Are you in the queue?....." The penny finally dropped at the 12th person or couple that she asked. To be fair although it was a long line it moved reasonably quickly, just wish I'd taken a sun hat!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Welcome from sunny Stone, Staffordshire and Christmas has come early for me..........ive got some toilet rolls and happily singing "always look on the bright side of life" 🎶😁

We have had a van driving round here slowly, playing that from a loud speaker... Closely followed by calls of ' shut the xxxx up'... 😊

Andy 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I have chocolate! but as one of those having to 'shield' not able to walk etc for exercise-  I am having to resort to houseworkfor exercise!! Thankful though at least we have a lovely garden(and chocolate!)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I have chocolate! but as one of those having to 'shield' not able to walk etc for exercise-  I am having to resort to houseworkfor exercise!! Thankful though at least we have a lovely garden(and chocolate!)

Can you not exercise with the green goddess. I saw her on the news last week doing exercise from her chair.

For those of you who are struggling to get food, have you tried Amazon Prime Now. You would have to take out a subscription if you don't already have one. There is also other benefits that might be of use to you, like the tv and books etc.

1 minute ago, emam said:

Can you not exercise with the green goddess. I saw her on the news last week doing exercise from her chair.

For those of you who are struggling to get food, have you tried Amazon Prime Now. You would have to take out a subscription if you don't already have one. There is also other benefits that might be of use to you, like the tv and books etc.

I remember exercising to the Green goddess in the 80s !I have some zumba videos so should be ok.Don't really want to have to resort to press ups!!Fortunately I have a good supply of books and enjoy reading.

9 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Welcome from sunny Stone, Staffordshire and Christmas has come early for me..........ive got some toilet rolls and happily singing "always look on the bright side of life" 🎶😁

You don't appreciate what you have until it's gone. A true saying. I had an Asda delivery today. There were toilet rolls, hand wash and sugar. I only had 4 unavailable items but they weren't important. It certainly did feel like Christmas. I never thought I'd prefer a pack of toilet rolls to a box of chocolates 😆

• Like 1

The community spirit last night was incredible and pretty emotional. The majority of our street were at their front doors or at open windows, clapping, cheering and banging pots and pans. Very very grateful for everyone who is working hard to help us all!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums