PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

Had my first AZ jab yesterday. Didn't feel a thing and didn't draw any blood either! I'm almost doubting myself that I actually had it.

Tried to watch but the jabber's hands/fingers completely blocked the view of the vaccine going in.

Woke up with an ache in my arm but I did clout it against the bedroom door frame when I got up in the night so I'm unsure if it's the jab or the door frame!

Daft I know, but I feel a bit cheated.

Edited by Esprit
  • Haha 1

folks after you get a shot keep the arm in motion ,like a rotating motion much less ache! Told to me by a nurse works for me every time. You don't have to spend all day doing it but do it when you think of it nothing to loose but an ache!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

folks after you get a shot keep the arm in motion ,like a rotating motion much less ache! Told to me by a nurse works for me every time. You don't have to spend all day doing it but do it when you think of it nothing to loose but an ache!

Yes. And rub the injection area vigorously right away. This, plus the motion, helps to dissipate the medication. 

Hurray for everyone who has been vaccinated!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Esprit said:

Had my first AZ jab yesterday. Didn't feel a thing and didn't draw any blood either! I'm almost doubting myself that I actually had it.

Tried to watch but the jabber's hands/fingers completely blocked the view of the vaccine going in.

Woke up with an ache in my arm but I did clout it against the bedroom door frame when I got up in the night so I'm unsure if it's the jab or the door frame!

Don't feel cheated. Neither DW, or me had any symptoms at all. You do think did they actually pump anything in ?, but I trust the experts.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Esprit said:

I didn't feel my second injection at all. Had the same thoughts as you but figured they really did inject the stuff. My wife didn't feel the stick but did feel the juice going in. By the next day I knew for sure I'd had the injection as my shoulder was sore and got worse during the day. No biggie but enough to let me know I'd had the injection.

• Like 4

Washing machine took a dump yesterday. I pulled it apart and tested things and it appears I need a new Master Control Unit. No thanks. (I did retrieve  65 cents and a small key I've been looking for from the pre-pump clean out though.) The washer is 15 years old so we decided to replace it. Going back to a top loader as the snazzy front loader hasn't been any better and they are more expensive. We looked around and most washers these days seem to have a zillion different cycles. Most folks use 3 cycles ever. Regular wash, Heavy wash, and Delicate wash. I couldn't find one quite that basic but decided on a reasonably priced unit. Found it at Lowe's and thought about buying but looked around. Found the exact model number at the local Ginno's Appliance store and it was on sale for $70 less. D'Oh!  "That's the floor model and we don't actually have one in stock. We can order one for you and it will arrive in maybe 6 weeks." GAH!!! Went back to Lowe's. They have it in stock. I asked about price matching and they said no problem as long as it isn't Costco or some huge place like that. I showed them the advertisement for the local store on my phone and it was a done deal. It's only $70 but I'd rather keep it than spend it. New washer will be delivered tomorrow and they will haul the old one away.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Thrak said:

Washing machine took a dump yesterday. I pulled it apart and tested things and it appears I need a new Master Control Unit. No thanks. (I did retrieve  65 cents and a small key I've been looking for from the pre-pump clean out though.) The washer is 15 years old so we decided to replace it. Going back to a top loader as the snazzy front loader hasn't been any better and they are more expensive. We looked around and most washers these days seem to have a zillion different cycles. Most folks use 3 cycles ever. Regular wash, Heavy wash, and Delicate wash. I couldn't find one quite that basic but decided on a reasonably priced unit. Found it at Lowe's and thought about buying but looked around. Found the exact model number at the local Ginno's Appliance store and it was on sale for $70 less. D'Oh!  "That's the floor model and we don't actually have one in stock. We can order one for you and it will arrive in maybe 6 weeks." GAH!!! Went back to Lowe's. They have it in stock. I asked about price matching and they said no problem as long as it isn't Costco or some huge place like that. I showed them the advertisement for the local store on my phone and it was a done deal. It's only $70 but I'd rather keep it than spend it. New washer will be delivered tomorrow and they will haul the old one away.

Love my Speed Queen!  It's actually made in USA with quality, durable parts that last for years.  When the dryer bites the dust, it too gets replaced with a Speed Queen.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 1:10 PM, Ombud said:

Please come back and let me know how J&J went. Kaiser sent me another alert that they should have it soon and I can get it at the hospital (I'm fine but they're hyper vigilante as I have history) 

Just spoke with dd.  She got the shot around 1:30 pm yesterday.  Went to bed early (around 8:30) because she had been up late the night before.  Woke up with severe chills, body aches, and headache.  Had trouble sleeping and tossed and turned.  Didn't think to take her temperature.  She was well enough to take her child to daycare this morning.  Took an ibuprofen.  She is working from home during the pandemic but feels well enough to work today.  I  have read that some people don't get side effects from the J&J but others do.  Don't know their ages to know if that made a difference.  Well worth taking the vaccine!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Heard on a news program that observations indicate it’s not unusual for younger people to have more reaction to the shot because they have more robust immune systems. Sounds logical, but I’ll be interested to see if it’s validated with more data. We get our second Moderna shot tomorrow and have cleared Thursdays’ calendar just in case.

Speed Queen!  I haven’t thought of that brand for decades - we’d head to Speed Queen (laundromat) in Santa Fe for the weekly washing.  Those machines were workhorses.  My Santa Fe days are when I met Phil, when he was visiting from Massachusetts 40+ years ago.  Ah, memories...

Edited by LoriPhil
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dickinson said:

Just spoke with dd.  She got the shot around 1:30 pm yesterday.  Went to bed early (around 8:30) because she had been up late the night before.  Woke up with severe chills, body aches, and headache.  Had trouble sleeping and tossed and turned.  Didn't think to take her temperature.  She was well enough to take her child to daycare this morning.  Took an ibuprofen.  She is working from home during the pandemic but feels well enough to work today.  I  have read that some people don't get side effects from the J&J but others do.  Don't know their ages to know if that made a difference.  Well worth taking the vaccine!

Not the JJ but with Moderna they say the younger people are far more likely to have adverse reactions. Also, anybody who has already had COVID - even if it was mild and they don't even know they had it - will often have adverse reactions. One of our sons almost certainly had it in January of 2020 - before anybody knew about the stuff - and he had a terrible reaction. He still had to work and another guy in his unit who is even younger had the same issue.

5 hours ago, 1980dory said:

Love my Speed Queen!  It's actually made in USA with quality, durable parts that last for years.  When the dryer bites the dust, it too gets replaced with a Speed Queen.

The washer that broke down was a 15 year old Whirlpool front loader. They don't make things like they used to. With the old style Whirlpool washers I could have kept it running for 30 - 35 years without breaking the bank. They were (mostly) easy to work on and parts were readily available and nor horribly expensive. (The hardest job on them was actually just changing the belt. If one didn't know how it could make a person crazy trying to figure it out.) The old style Whirlpool dryers were also super easy to maintain. These days everything is run with electronics. It's like cars. They used to be user serviceable but now are all full of electronics.

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

Not the JJ but with Moderna they say the younger people are far more likely to have adverse reactions. Also, anybody who has already had COVID - even if it was mild and they don't even know they had it - will often have adverse reactions. One of our sons almost certainly had it in January of 2020 - before anybody knew about the stuff - and he had a terrible reaction. He still had to work and another guy in his unit who is even younger had the same issue.

I had the Moderna and the second shot really bothered me the next day. Really sore arm,headache,chills and felt like like a truck hit me. No fever. Stayed covered up on couch all day but but fine the day after. I am 69 so who knows? Maybe I did already have Covid.

Laura

Wohoo! Just back from our second Moderna shot.  Per tips here I’ve been moving arm and massaging. Heading out for a walk shortly, but first eggs, and the leftover champagne.  Only a small glass, but seemed fitting.   People were so chipper and happy to have a chance to chat with each other...like the great feeling we always have in the waiting room before a cruise.  We’ll see how it goes tomorrow...

Edited by LoriPhil
  • Like 5

Thanks for the tips on massaging & moving arm after shot.  We're up for our 2nd shots end of the month and had heard some people experienced more symptoms after the 2nd (Moderna).  Heard only about 10-11% of our state's population (MA) have received full vaccination.  Teachers & school staff will become eligible tomorrow.

It has warmed up here...enjoying an early Spring for about 3 days and then temps supposed to take a dive again on the weekend, BUT for the time being, it is good.  Actually was out in backyard  with DH burning brush this afternoon.  Nice to be able to spend time outdoors in the sun.

Just one year since our first 2 cruises were cancelled....and what a year it's been!!

• Like 1

Alaska doesn't have that large a population but they work three times as hard getting the vaccine to the people. It's not just trucks and cars but snowmobiles, planes, and sleds. When traveling through Alaska we spoke with a number of locals in small areas and encountered a lot of "we take care of each other" attitudes. Caught a ton of fish? Feed all the neighbors and the town. Got meat? Share it.

• Like 4

Was lovely here for past few days but very windy.  Now we’re gearing up for the snows sweeping in from the west, with forecasters still uncertain if we’ll get 4” or 2’of snow.  Stocked up on milk, eggs and veggies and worst comes to worse we can always peel the cat.

While we’re a bit fatigued after our 2nd  Moderna shot yesterday we each experienced different side effects.  I awoke with intense bone-rattling chills, but they passed quickly.  Phil could relate to the comment that it felt like he’d been hit by a truck, but by morning that had passed.  Unfortunately, forgetting he typically has very low blood pressure he bounced up out of bed (excited that he felt so good) got woozy and dropped to his knees.  Felt much better after a shower and is lapping up more water now..  Happily he just had a physical and got a gold star from the doc, but it underscores that many of us have interesting conditions, and it’s a good idea to go slowly this first day or two, post-jab. Also drink lots of water, which the medical folks kept mentioning while we were at the clinic.  But yes, its worth it!

Edited by LoriPhil

Ontario has started rolling out the AstraZeneca vaccine for 60 to 64 years old. But there is worrisome news out of the EU about the AZ shot and blood clots. Some countries are suspending the shots while they investigate. I find it interesting that Sweden reports that they have had 2 cases of blood clots after the AZ shot and 10 cases of blood clot cases after the Pfizer shot but they dont think either is related to the vaccine. 

Second Moderna shot today; so far, just pretty sore on my arm.  I had no reactions to the first shot--I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

The reactions are so varied from none to "I wish I had died instead" among people we know.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Second Moderna shot today; so far, just pretty sore on my arm.  I had no reactions to the first shot--I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

The reactions are so varied from none to "I wish I had died instead" among people we know.

Keep us posted! Positive vibes to you!

• Like 1