Coronavirus on Crown Princess !!!!!!!

Cash123

So 12  days after dis-embarking the Crown on the 16th March we get an email from Princess in forming us that a guest has tested positive for Covid-19. What annoys me about this is why havnt we been told more information about this passenger, where the passenger lives, when was the passenger tested, were they showing symptoms when they were on board and what part of the ship was their accommodation.

Its a bit late telling us that we should self isolate when we have been home for 12 days, so maybe the ambulances we saw when  we  came off the ship were there for a virus victim after all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob

• Thanks 1

I just got his email also this morning. I worried about the trip home because we had a late flight to fly back to Indiana. We then stayed overnight and drove home and stopped at the groceries. I don't know anything about this person but, I feel like it could be very likely this person could of picked up this virus on there way home and that's why we weren't notified  earlier. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Paula B said:

I just got his email also this morning. I worried about the trip home because we had a late flight to fly back to Indiana. We then stayed overnight and drove home and stopped at the groceries. I don't know anything about this person but, I feel like it could be very likely this person could of picked up this virus on there way home and that's why we weren't notified  earlier. 

You can not assume this.  Get real!   

1 hour ago, Cash123 said:

So 12  days after dis-embarking the Crown on the 16th March we get an email from Princess in forming us that a guest has tested positive for Covid-19. What annoys me about this is why havnt we been told more information about this passenger, where the passenger lives, when was the passenger tested, were they showing symptoms when they were on board and what part of the ship was their accommodation.

Its a bit late telling us that we should self isolate when we have been home for 12 days, so maybe the ambulances we saw when  we  came off the ship were there for a virus victim after all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob

I think by mid March, with the known spread of the disease, pretty much everyone who was on a cruise ship or on a plane/in airports should have been self-isolating by default, as a precaution.  

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Like 6

Was the Crown disembarking in Ft Lauderdale?  Port Everglades had employees test positive for the virus by the second week of March. Another possibility of where passengers could have become infected. Thanks for posting. 

24 minutes ago, milolii said:

Don't  think so   this is important information that would  get buried in another thread.  It needs to be a separate thread.  

All passengers.  Place act like you’ve been exposed. Don’t  expose others and potentially our healthcare system. Hopefully all will be fine,  Best of luck to you.  

Yes, glad this isn’t buried. I was in Ft Lauderdale at the time these passengers were in disembarking the Crown. I have been in self isolation as per our Ontario gov requirements. 
nice to have ship’s name in thread title. 

Edited by dog

33 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I think by mid March, with the known spread of the disease, pretty much everyone who was on a cruise ship or on a plane/in airports should have been self-isolating by default, as a precaution.  

On the day we got home in the UK we phoned our doctor to explain that we had just returned from a cruise holiday and travelled through 2 major airports being Miami and London Heathrow, she told us as a precaution that we should self isolate for 7 days which we have done, my wife has n ow received notification that she is one of the 1.5 million people in the UK who should now be self isolating for 12 weeks whereas I can at least pop out to get some shopping.

• Thanks 1

We were on the ship at the same time....and there were hazmat suits in the cabin across from us...were hoping at the time that it was "just" Norwalk. We have been self-isolating since returning home, and are now entering day 11 of that.

• Like 3

Just because they were on a cruise ship does not mean that this is where they contracted the virus. 

I do not like turning on the TV and they are blasting the cruise industry because of this. A very small % of the overall numbers could be because of cruise ships. However when you have people on air planes, and theme parks and everywhere else, it is just the cruise industry being 'blamed'

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Cash123 said:

On the day we got home in the UK we phoned our doctor to explain that we had just returned from a cruise holiday and travelled through 2 major airports being Miami and London Heathrow, she told us as a precaution that we should self isolate for 7 days which we have done, my wife has n ow received notification that she is one of the 1.5 million people in the UK who should now be self isolating for 12 weeks whereas I can at least pop out to get some shopping.

I wish you and you wife the best, as well as, Paula B and Dog 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cash123 said:

Rob

HIPPA Laws makes it illegal for Princess to reveal identifying information.  HIPPA was created during the HIV/AIDS outbreak where people were discriminated against for having the virus which is why medical information now is ridiculously private.

It's obvious when the HIPPA laws were created they weren't thinking about a pandemic as we are in now.  Now, it seems pretty important to know who tested positive so that we know our risk.  It's frustrating and likely making things worse.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chrysalis said:

We were on the ship at the same time....and there were hazmat suits in the cabin across from us...were hoping at the time that it was "just" Norwalk. We have been self-isolating since returning home, and are now entering day 11 of that.

What deck / cabin were you in?

We disembarked in early Feb and based on all the symptoms I’ve read about, I really think we might have had this as well.  Since they weren’t yet testing for this, it isn’t confirmed, but definitely was unlike anything we had before.  Has anyone that was on an earlier cruise had similar concerns?  

We boarded the Crown on Feb. 5th, disembarked March 6th, flew home on March 7th. We did not witness any illness while on board. We have been home three weeks, no symptoms of anything. If we do get symptoms it would be from other sources not from the ship or the plane ride. 

19 minutes ago, ccndfw said:

We disembarked in early Feb and based on all the symptoms I’ve read about, I really think we might have had this as well.  Since they weren’t yet testing for this, it isn’t confirmed, but definitely was unlike anything we had before.  Has anyone that was on an earlier cruise had similar concerns?  

How long after your cruise did you develop symptoms? And what symptoms did you have? I was on the Crown Feb 5 - 15, and as far as we could tell, there was no noticeable illness at that time.

Three weeks after disembarkation, I developed a mild case of the flu (no fever the first two days so was thinking it was more of a cold). I inadvertantly gave it to my grandsons, one of whom tested positive for Influenza A (I know, bad grandma...). My husband and daughter did not have any symptoms. I'm sure I did NOT get it on the ship.

2 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

HIPPA Laws makes it illegal for Princess to reveal identifying information.  HIPPA was created during the HIV/AIDS outbreak where people were discriminated against for having the virus which is why medical information now is ridiculously private.

It's obvious when the HIPPA laws were created they weren't thinking about a pandemic as we are in now.  Now, it seems pretty important to know who tested positive so that we know our risk.  It's frustrating and likely making things worse.

It's actually HIPAA .... and it actually started in 1996 as a means to protect all health related information, which was well after the initial outbreak of HIV/AIDS, which was in the very early 80's.   But yes, HIV information is particularly sensitive, even more so than a lot of other health information because of the discriminatory hiring practices at the time.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many of the cruise lines are sending these kind of letters as well as many office buildings and condo buildings.  It's for information as well as to cover themselves.  Everyone has to be proactive. 

Because symptoms can show in as little as 2 days and as long as 14 days, the person on the Crown could have gotten covid-19 from anywhere in the last few weeks and possibly was not ill with it on your sailing.

There has been nothing on our local news in regards to the Crown Princess and our news is covering this all the time as many cruise ships have loaded ill people off at the ports.  Even yesterday they were taking ill crew members off two Costa ships here in Miami. 

Unfortunately there is simply no way to know where or when the person was exposed or became ill.

Hopefully you will not have any issues at all and will continue to stay healthy.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

It's actually HIPAA .... and it actually started in 1996 as a means to protect all health related information, which was well after the initial outbreak of HIV/AIDS, which was in the very early 80's.   But yes, HIV information is particularly sensitive, even more so than a lot of other health information because of the discriminatory hiring practices at the time.  

Thanks, I knew HIPPA was wrong, but couldn't remember and was too lazy to look up the correct acronym, which says I'm getting old because back in the 90's I was a compliance officer responsible for implementing my health services company's systems and procedures.  I could quibble about the history but it doesn't matter for this topic, nor really at all any more. 😉

• Like 1

The incubation period for the virus is approximately 14 days, maximum...2% of people experience symptoms in the first 2 days and 2% experience symptoms after day 12...so, if you have been off the ship for at least 12 days, it is very unlikely you have the virus (at least from being on the ship)...2% chance at best!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cash123 said:

Chances are the person developed symptoms and was found to be positive days after leaving the ship.

When that happens (and if the system is not overwhelmed), epidemiologists question the person as to his/her recent travels and other personal contacts. At that point, if the person had been on a cruise, on an airplane, etc, the companies involved are notified and then issue a notice such as one one you received.

Princess did not hide anything from you and did notified you after they were alerted by the authorities that a past passenger who has tested positive had been on that cruise.

5 hours ago, ccndfw said:

I developed some sort of nasty upper respiratory crud several days into our Antarctic voyage in the Coral and disembarked very early February. I did report to the medical facility and was giving meds that helped break up congestion. Though I wasn’t instructed to do so I stayed in our cabin for 3 days. At that time no one had any thoughts about this virus having spread and I don’t feel it was what I had. Also no one else in our group came down with it but in hindsight I admit I have wondered. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, gottagocit said:

I developed some sort of nasty upper respiratory crud several days into our Antarctic voyage in the Coral and disembarked very early February. I did report to the medical facility and was giving meds that helped break up congestion. Though I wasn’t instructed to do so I stayed in our cabin for 3 days. At that time no one had any thoughts about this virus having spread and I don’t feel it was what I had. Also no one else in our group came down with it but in hindsight I admit I have wondered. 

Covid 19 is a lower respiratory illness...a trained doctor should be able to tell the difference and.

• Thanks 1