Anyone cancelling cruises for late 2020 out of uncertainty?

2 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

I have 9 future cruises booked through March 2022, and my thinking is very similar. I’ll wait it out and decide each one as the situation unfolds. If I cancel now it’s a guaranteed loss of $100pp, and an FCC that may (or may not) be useless in the future. If I wait, my financial outcome my improve. 

Sort of like selling stock because it has gone down , locking in your losses. 

Wise move at this point. What's the worst that can happen if you wait? You lose $100pp. Cancel now and you lock that in. Might as well wait.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

I have 9 future cruises booked through March 2022, and my thinking is very similar. I’ll wait it out and decide each one as the situation unfolds. If I cancel now it’s a guaranteed loss of $100pp, and an FCC that may (or may not) be useless in the future. If I wait, my financial outcome my improve. 

Sort of like selling stock because it has gone down , locking in your losses. 

Everyone's situation is different and their particular circumstances should dictate their actions, not what I or anyone else does. 

Similarly, everyone’s response is the correct answer—- for them. It’s a bit disheartening to read others invalidating others responses or actions, with absolutely no information about the other person’s particular situation. 

mac_tlc

Thank you...my sentiments exactly.  We can all wallow in our gloom and doom, or we can all wait see how it all turns out.  We do the best we can with what we have until then..

On 3/28/2020 at 2:13 PM, Billy Baltic said:

If they restart sailing with the potential for ship wide quarantines taking place then the ships will be close to empty.

Then it'll be easy to get social separation onboard...  🙂

Edited by mpk

15 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Similarly, everyone’s response is the correct answer—- for them. It’s a bit disheartening to read others invalidating others responses or actions, with absolutely no information about the other person’s particular situation. 

mac_tlc

I agree - I apologize if my words or tone implied criticism - this is my situation and mine alone.

4 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

I agree - I apologize if my words or tone implied criticism - this is my situation and mine alone.

No apology necessary! I wasn’t criticizing your posts. Just seems like there are a number of folks on the boards recently that are so sure of how this unfolds, what happens and what everyone should do.

Can’t  believe I miss the endless discussions on formal night, tipping and chair hogs🤪

mac_tlc

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

No apology necessary! I wasn’t criticizing your posts. Just seems like there are a number of folks on the boards recently that are so sure of how this unfolds, what happens and what everyone should do.

Can’t  believe I miss the endless discussions on formal night, tipping and chair hogs🤪

mac_tlc

Thank you!  There are folks everywhere - here, Facebook, etc. who think they can predict how all of this will turn out.  Me - I don't have a clue!  If you think this thread is bad - wait until the fall when those who turned out to be right come back to say their "I-told-you-sos".  🙂

Dam thanks for this -- I just checked my final payment for my August cruise is coming up.

Would hate to pay it and then for it to cancel....  

So I guess my answer is, I would like to go but hate to pay all the money in just to get a FCC like my March cruise.

10 hours ago, bgoff60 said:

someone will buy them and the first thing the new owners will want to do is NOT piss off the current cruisers.  Just my opinion - YMMV

The first thing the new owners will do is rebrand. Why would any business want to take on debt from the previous owner.  The first thing to go will be the loyalty program.

Edited by Iamcruzin

All  our Travel vacations weather cruises or land vacations are cancelled for 2020.

WE  feel its better to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. 

If things improve drastically towards the end of the year our plans can change.

Nothing is written in stone at the moment.

Keep safe everyone.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

mac_tlc

I hope my fears weren't taken as invalidating anyone else's response or actions and I sincerely apologize if that's how they read.

I worry about what's going to happen and for us, I needed to get our deposit back. That was the right move for us. I actually like seeing that others are determined to ride it all out with the cruise lines because we have been lucky enough to have taken eight cruises with our children and all but one were amazing (my mom died on one, that was awful, but it wasn't the cruise line's fault and we didn't give up on cruising). I think cruising for us, was a perfect vacation and I hope it survives for others to enjoy.

The right decision for us was to cancel and to move forward in life taking other kinds of vacations for the foreseeable future.

Right now we are still part of the wait and see for Oct/Nov and making the decision before final payment.  We all have different needs and desires and we do want to return to cruising.  This whole situation really changes our focus.  As we are close to retirement, we may just choose to take trips close to home and visit family and sights others plan for years to travel to and see.  A vaccine will be developed and this virus, like most that have come before, will come under control.  recent history shows we do respond to threats (AIDS, EBola, H1N1 etc) and the response time to develop vaccines and or cures is getting shorter and shorter.  Cruising will always be our passion and it is a blessing (sometimes a curse I guess) that we have so much news and sharing here on CC.  It looks doubtful we will cruise in 2020 and keeping informed here on CC helps to make that decision an informed one.

Edited by zonacruiser25
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, justKirbo said:

I hope my fears weren't taken as invalidating anyone else's response or actions and I sincerely apologize if that's how they read.

I worry about what's going to happen and for us, I needed to get our deposit back. That was the right move for us. I actually like seeing that others are determined to ride it all out with the cruise lines because we have been lucky enough to have taken eight cruises with our children and all but one were amazing (my mom died on one, that was awful, but it wasn't the cruise line's fault and we didn't give up on cruising). I think cruising for us, was a perfect vacation and I hope it survives for others to enjoy.

The right decision for us was to cancel and to move forward in life taking other kinds of vacations for the foreseeable future.

No worries! Everyone is a little afraid, I think. No one has ever been through this. Sorry to hear about your tragic cruise and losing your Mom. 😞

I worry more about my kids and grandkids than I do us. We all love cruising and have taken a number of cruises with all of us—- with three of the 9 planned ones including everyone. Some mobility issues make it impossible for us to hike the country and do some other alternatives. 

Here’s hoping everyone gets through this in whatever manner is right for them, and we all respect everyone’s opinions and decisions. Nobody knows the answers for sure. 

mac_tlc

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

I'm not surprised. This pandemic isn't going away any time soon. New York gets worse over night. Now the Javits center which was set up for non Covid patients care is being converted to Covid patients.  At least the two HAL ships were finally able to disembark in FFL.

I had 6 cruises booked this year, and 3 have been canceled by the cruise lines. If MSC doesn’t cancel 2 in Oct. that I had booked prior to 2 Carnival sailings I had (canceled), I will cancel them before final payment in July. That leaves me with 1 cruise on the Anthem, over Thanksgiving. Will wait to see what Royal decides to do.

I have a B2B for Apr/May 2021 on the Ovation, and I sure hope it sails, but it is what it is.

On 3/30/2020 at 3:08 PM, NateUpNorth said:

We’re booked in December, right around “wave 2 Covid” predictions. If the ship sails, we’ll be on it. If not, we’ll take the 125% if it’s offered. If prices go up maybe we’ll come out even. If prices go down maybe we’ll hop on a longer or 25% more expensive itinerary!

Hi there, we're booked for Jan 2021 (NFD).  Just wondering, we usually book flights at least two months prior.  Do you need to book flights for your sailing?

12 minutes ago, red-dragon said:

Hi there, we're booked for Jan 2021 (NFD).  Just wondering, we usually book flights at least two months prior.  Do you need to book flights for your sailing?

We do.

We're in Southern Ontario so it's likely we won't look at flights till MUCH closer to sailing. Normally we'd book them right when the dates opened by Southwest. 

Fortunately (depending on how you view driving lol) we can make the drive to port in about 21 hours if need be. (Port of Miami) We've done the drive to Florida several times now with the kids, they know the deal. 

Edited by NateUpNorth

5 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

We do.

We're in Southern Ontario so it's likely we won't look at flights till MUCH closer to sailing. Normally we'd book them right when the dates opened by Southwest. 

Fortunately (depending on how you view driving lol) we can make the drive to port in about 21 hours if need be. (Port of Miami) We've done the drive to Florida several times now with the kids, they know the deal. 

Thanks for the response.  We wouldn't be able to drive to Miami in January, too risky with the weather.  Our final payment isn't until October, but still want to start planning now, in case we decide to cancel.  We'll lose some money for sure.  No one knows how the situation will be when the colder weather starts up.  Stay safe and healthy! 

Whereabouts are you located? We’ve done the drive almost at Xmas and found it not bad at all. In our experience:

New York State boring drive. Roads well maintained in winter.

Pennsylvania has some hills, but similar to NY State.

The Virginia’s is where ya gotta watch the weather reports and the road conditions.

Once you’re into N. Carolina you are generally home free.

We time our drive so that we are in the Virginia’s around lunch time and outta them before daylight is gone.

I do much prefer the current plan of fly to Fort Lauderdale, a couple days at Hollywood Beach in Fort Lauderdale, then over to Port of Miami morning of sail away. Same as last time.

Edited by NateUpNorth

Not only am I not canceling but now I am thinking of booking a July Mariner cruise.  It's really a no lose proposition.  If we don't want to go as long as we cancel a few days out we will get credit. If Dan can't get a doctor's note we can get credit and I will go solo.   Decisions, decisions decision

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NateUpNorth said:

We do.

After the 3M debacle today, our next cruise will be out of Europe somewhere once a vaccine is found. Until then I'll stay home and support local businesses.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

After the 3M debacle today, our next cruise will be out of Europe somewhere once a vaccine is found. Until then I'll stay home and support local businesses.  

Missed it. More licence plate shenanigans?

Just now, NateUpNorth said:

Missed it. More licence plate shenanigans?

Mr Trump has ordered 3M not to ship any medical equipment to Canada. While its tempting to be dog eat dog it should be noted that thousands of Canadian nurses cross the border into the US daily to work. Trudeau made note that over 1000 work in Michigan. It wouldn't be hard to stop that daily migration if needed. Not out of retaliation or anything - just that we need them here.