Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Why did you stop?

FWIW, my FIL kept Journals from 1970 through his death in 2018. One each year.

After his death, Laura decided to read them. 

After finishing about 25 of them, she had me shred them all. It was depressing. 😪

There are some depressing things in my journals .

Edited by lenquixote66
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I mentioned to Millie that the fireworks were coming. 

20220703_185348.thumb.jpg.5308971200a7aba610aa7d55c220d971.jpg

Our community shot them off on the 1st. Bell was at the beach. Cocoa Beach display is tonight, and Bell is back home now. 

Thunder Vest is ready if the neighbors celebrate.  

FWIW, I'm fine with shooting fireworks, just focus on the 4th, and don't go all night. Unfortunately tourists on the beach don't follow that idea

• Like 5

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

I cannot remember why I stopped.However,I re-read my journals every few years.

Several years ago Eric found a box in the basement with some of my childhood items.  My diary being one of them.   I don't know exact age I started it maybe 6 or 7 yrs old.   

We came across several summer days where I simply wrote "Did the usual".    He found this hysterical and really wanted to know what my usual was.   Every so often he will say, I did the usual.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Our community shot them off on the 1st. Bell was at the beach. Cocoa Beach display is tonight, and Bell is back home now. 

Thunder Vest is ready if the neighbors celebrate.  

FWIW, I'm fine with shooting fireworks, just focus on the 4th, and don't go all night. Unfortunately tourists on the beach don't follow that idea

Fireworks have been going off since Thursday night in my neighborhood.   Some nearby town did their display last night.  I hear some now and hoping my cat gets home before they really start.  She hates them! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Several years ago Eric found a box in the basement with some of my childhood items.  My diary being one of them.   I don't know exact age I started it maybe 6 or 7 yrs old.   

We came across several summer days where I simply wrote "Did the usual".    He found this hysterical and really wanted to know what my usual was.   Every so often he will say, I did the usual.

I edited my response to John.When I was 12 a close friend was murdered.I wrote about it in my journal.I also wrote about it in the book of poetry and short stories that I wrote in 1988 that was published.I have two copies that I was going to give to my granddaughters a few months ago but decided to wait because my 13 year old granddaughter is too young to read it.As far as my journals ,hopefully they will both be adults when they read them.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Fireworks have been going off since Thursday night in my neighborhood.   Some nearby town did their display last night.  I hear some now and hoping my cat gets home before they really start.  She hates them! 

There are fireworks tonight .I can hear them but I have no idea where they are coming from.

Fireworks display has been held on July 3rd here since we moved here 5 years ago.  For some reason,  it was decided to be held on July 5th, no explanation, 🤔 but it's a shame, since most people have to go to work the next day.  We practically have front row seats, since they shoot them off at the High School, and we're right behind the school.😊

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Looks great!   Bill did a great job with backsplash.  Was it easy for him to remove the old laminate without messing up the wallboard or sheetrock behind it?

He didn't install the backsplash Deb. Bill just removed the Formica, the sheetrock was pretty torn up. Then we had a sheetrock guy come in and skim coat it and sand it. Then the tile experts came in and did the installation. This whole thing was a long, complicated process. 

For the next project, flooring, we will have to learn to use something called "Self-Leveling Concrete". The tile guy explained that it would be needed in some areas on the floor. Should be fun, Not. :classic_rolleyes::classic_biggrin: He will give us a pass on the asbestos issues, if it has already been applied before the pre-inspection. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

My neighbor behind us just started those loud BOOM ones.  I like the pretty ones, don’t understand who likes that loud boom.😳

I had just mentioned to my neighbor across the street, how SI is always like a war zone with those loud Boom fireworks going off for days before, during, and after the 4th.  The South Shore was the worst,  IMO.    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I had just mentioned to my neighbor across the street, how SI is always like a war zone with those loud Boom fireworks going off for days before, during, and after the 4th.  The South Shore was the worst,  IMO.    

In my development every resident received a notice stating that fireworks are forbidden.Anyone who sets them off is subject to a $500.00 fine.

• Like 3

Tonight we went to hear the free concert at Lake Harriet. Walked around the lake first. It was overcast, about 80 F but a little sticky. Lake looked like a mirror.

The band tonight was Minneapolis Pops Orchestra. They were awesome. Started off with Star Spangled Banner and the rest of the night didn't disappoint. This video is the last number. They will also be performing next Sunday night.

• Like 11

22 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

My neighbor behind us just started those loud BOOM ones.  I like the pretty ones, don’t understand who likes that loud boom.😳

Love the loud booms that make your insides vibrate!🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

FB_IMG_1656895060956.thumb.jpg.a72ab7786d43caf53bc8707c0d46a2ca.jpg

They are pretty, though 

FB_IMG_1656895280718.thumb.jpg.d922888b2750c5acb522485cc7acd4c4.jpg

Delta Variant😉

FB_IMG_1656895312114.thumb.jpg.734194ac92f1630e5482dba65e845411.jpg

i like a good professional display what I don’t like is every pyromaniac in the neighborhood trying trying to blow everything up. We have had problems with some people lighting off M-80s and more. With our hills behind the house it sounds like a bomb and rattles the windows it scares the hell out of the dogs plus they do it after 10 pm which is the legal cutoff.

52 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Sometimes Less is More

Mies van der Rohe

20220703_205112.thumb.jpg.4f67f571fc24ef69700643804f081a9b.jpg

Reliving my youth😉

FWIW, Itried to order this on the ship recently. Got a blank stare from the waiter. Settled for Jack and Sprite

Man that was my drink of choice all through college. So simple and yet so good. Cheers my friend good choice!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

We're looking at booking Celebrity 😁

What are you thinking about booking?  I found Dani’s thread when I was stuck in lockdown…and we have sailed Royal often…but we are primarily Celebrity cruisers.  Love the ships.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

It really would not take much energy. All you have to do is take what you wrote here in your original post and paste it into an email to the CEO. Then just wait to see what you get for a response. It would be interesting to see what happens.

I understand where you are coming from…and I understand for some people this would be the appropriate action.  But I think I understand what Dani is saying.  She and her husband both tried their best to address the issues onboard…and were  met with low level employees attempting to placate them with wine, chocolates, and, worst of all, being told by Guest Services that the incident had been noted on their cabin record.  And then she finds out the incident had not been reported up the chain despite their efforts.

Their cruise is over.  I doubt she believes any corrective action would be taken by an attempt to contact the CEO.  And I am relatively certain that she’s not looking for any renumeration.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

There are some depressing things in my journals .

Lenny, I am sure there are a lot of depressing things in any of our journals, if we are honest.  Sounds like you have had a wonderful life.  I'm happy to hear you are 'out and about' now. Stay well.

• Like 4

DD did a 10km walk in one of the US National Parks today.  Delighted to see lots of dogs on the trail.  Here in Australia, dogs are not permitted in our National Parks. Photo of Max who would love to go exploring….instead he is watching the rain.

302839B9-E8C1-436D-94A3-368D8260A19A.jpeg

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 14

My dad had lots of journals in a footlocker chest. They were probably from during WWII. I haven't read them yet. He was a pilot during the war, and we did sell some of his plane photos. There are also a lot of photos from the 1906 earthquake that my grandfather took in Oakland. (It didn't just shake San Francisco. :classic_rolleyes:) I have to go through them. We will probably end up donating them to the historical society or Oakland Museum. They are neat, but no reason for us to keep them. :classic_smile:

• Like 10