Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Pretty easy really.

There are 3 stumps(wicket) either end separated by 22 yards.

Bowler bowls a ball the batsman hits it.

If the ball goes over the boundary rope it is 4 runs.

If the ball goes over the boundary without touching the ground it is 6 runs.

The batsman can run between the wickets for 1,2 or 3 runs until the ball is returned to the bowler or wicket keeper.

There are 11 players on each side and the winner is the one with the most runs.

Limited over T20 (20 overs)or 40 overs per side matches

are more exciting because the batsmen are looking to score on every ball bowled.

There are 6 bowls per over.

Players are out if the bowler hits the batsman's wicket or a fielder catches a batsmens hit.

If a ball hits the batsman's pads in front of the wicket without hitting the batsman's bat first he is 

Thanks.

• Like 1

Funny how topics from here pop up in my head.

I just finished breakfast and I hesitated throwing my paper plate away! 😲  Just my 2 cents worth.

A couple visiting last night mentioned the challenge they had driving in France.  I asked if they hit the curb a few times. They said when they would go to turn on the blinkers,  they would hit the windshield wipers on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, sgmn said:

@Sea Dog

I've found the perfect cruise for you, cruising and visiting whisky distilleries

https://www.newscientist.com/tours/whisky-tour-cruise-scotland/

Thank you Sue! Wow that's looks extremely interesting and something I would like to do. I can't swing it for September of '23 but I'm going to sign up for their newsletter. Thank you posting.

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

That looks like a really interesting cruise...especially the 20 person schooner that they'll use.  I really want to try something that small that goes to very unique ports, like a whisky distillery.

That's what I thought. I can't swing this October of the September sailing of '23 but I'm going to keep track of them and maybe go on a future sailing. How fun would that be?

• Like 4

Just now, HBE4 said:

Good win for you team last night.

Thanks,I was watching the game and posting on here during commercial breaks.

Tonight is future Hall of Fame pitcher Max Scherzer celebrating his birthday today against a pitcher from your team with an ERA of 15.00.

7 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Is it just me or does Captain Jason need to stay on the bridge more? Did we really need overflowing toilet scene😝

He needs to let his bosun do his job.  The Captain is everywhere, he needs to oversee and not jump in and do the mundane stuff.  Let his team do their jobs.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Thanks,I was watching the game and posting on here during commercial breaks.

Tonight is future Hall of Fame pitcher Max Scherzer celebrating his birthday today against a pitcher from your team with an ERA of 15.00.

Shaping up to be a tight, low scoring game. 😃

Hey, German - the Yankee pitcher - is due for a good game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Is it just me or does Captain Jason need to stay on the bridge more? Did we really need overflowing toilet scene😝

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

He needs to let his bosun do his job.  The Captain is everywhere, he needs to oversee and not jump in and do the mundane stuff.  Let his team do their jobs.

I really did not have a problem with Captain being more hands on. I think that's just the way he is. Where as you would never see Captain Lee do the menial jobs on the boat that Jason does, they are both different and I like that.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I really did not have a problem with Captain being more hands on. I think that's just the way he is. Where as you would never see Captain Lee do the menial jobs on the boat that Jason does, they are both different and I like that.

There is nothing wrong with him helping out but his deck crew does not know their jobs.  They need to get into their routine before he steps in and does everything.  The bosun hasn't been given the chance to lead his people.  The new crew needs training by the bosun if he is ever going to be seen as their leader.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is a nice sunny start to the day in North East England.

Currently it is 54°F at 07.37am with a high now forecast for 70°F later today.

I hope everyone is well and have a fantastic day.

Graham.

One more piece of interesting info. Grand dad hit a century and broke the clock of a tower somewhere. No idea where or when how many innings or runs. This was probably light years ago LOL!!!!!  I posted as I remembered.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Pretty easy really.

The batsman can run between the wickets for 1,2 or 3 runs until the ball is returned to the bowler or wicket keeper.

are more exciting because the batsmen are looking to score on every ball bowled.

Players are out if the bowler hits the batsman's wicket or a fielder catches a batsmens hit.

If a ball hits the batsman's pads in front of the wicket without hitting the batsman's bat first he is out.

Clear as mud, thanks for trying

• Like 2

17 hours ago, h20skibum said:

That would be nice.  We like that southern 8 day itinerary.  We have a couple friends that booked and will be joining us on the cruise.

I’ve also been eyeballing the Jan 7th 8 day Southern.  It falls in a good spot between our November Voyager cruise and the Bella cruise.  We’ve also never been to Aruba or Curaçao.  Plus January’s a good time to escape the northeast.  

• Like 8

10 hours ago, sgmn said:

Yesterday we had our longest day out yet on the River. We are quite new to river boating and have only done short trips to Windsor before. Yesterday we went in the other direction and made it as far as Marlow before making our way back to our Marina. 3.5 hours each way going through four locks in each direction. Stopped on the way for coffee and had lunch in Marlow.  Good experience, especially in going through locks.

On the way we passed Cliveden which use to be owned by the Astor family and was the scene of our biggest political scandal in the 60s, The Profumo Affair. Its now owned by the National Trust but the house is now a hotel and is where Megan, Duchess of Sussex stayed before her wedding to Harry. 

It was quite cloudy but got some sun in the afternoon 

20220726_150607.thumb.jpg.db4d2fa393bc71565cafec2d4b351d3e.jpg

Cliveden up ahead

20220726_104030.thumb.jpg.3b7de3f75369a5fdbdb2e8037582ebe4.jpg

One of the locks

20220726_102352.thumb.jpg.8d07d0ba96a66c46583f08f1b561421e.jpg

Enjoying coffee along the way

IMG-20220726-WA0001.thumb.jpg.bd6e73a398cd388057accd9bbfdf75bf.jpg

20220726_103913.thumb.jpg.f5d54e7757090911722c7bb6a86a01a9.jpg

20220726_095520.thumb.jpg.585a8eeab07c8f0d475c93826832e305.jpg

That would be a lovely way to spend a day! Going through the locks is a bonus. 
I’ve done the trip from Westminster Pier to Hampton a couple of times and it was wonderful. 
Thank you for sharing your photos 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

One more piece of interesting info. Grand dad hit a century and broke the clock of a tower somewhere. No idea where or when how many innings or runs. This was probably light years ago LOL!!!!!  I posted as I remembered.

The clock tower sounds like at 

Lords cricket ground England the home of cricket.

A century is 100 runs an excellent score.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Pretty easy really.

There's a pitcher's mound and a home plate separated by 60' 6"

Pitcher throws a pitch, the batter hits it. In cricket, the bowler tries to knock the bail off the top of the wicket.  In baseball, the pitcher tries to throw a ball in the strike zone.

Instead of a wall in the outfield, the end of the outfield is marked with a rope on the ground.  If the ball goes over the rope, it's a home run (worth 1 run for the batter plus 1 run for each baserunner).

Bonus points for clearing the rope on the fly (no baseball equivalent).

The batter can run around 4 bases until the ball is returned to the pitcher, although in cricket, each base would be worth a run.

There are 9 players on each side and the winner is the one with the most runs.  

An over is 6 balls bowled...sort of like 6 pitches.  Normally a match is played with 1 or 2 innings per team with an inning being 10 batsmen getting out.  Baseball equivalent would be a game being 2 innings long with each inning being 10 outs per team rather than 3.  In a Limited match, the number of outs doesn't matter...only the number of overs.  Baseball equivalent would be saying that the fielding team keeps fielding until a certain number of pitches are thrown rather than until there are 3 outs.  Whoever scores the most runs wins, no matter how many outs that team had.

There's no over equivalent in baseball, but it would be 6 pitches.  In Cricket, you change bowlers after each over, which would be like changing pitchers every 6 pitches.  The original pitcher however can pitch again after another pitcher has thrown 6 pitches (an over).

Batters are out if they strike out, hit a ball that's caught in the air, or are thrown out at a base.  In Cricket, you knock the bail off the top of the wicket (3 vertical sticks with the bail balance across the top) as the equivalent of throwing the runner out.  

If a ball hits the batsman's pads in front of the wicket without hitting the batsman's bat first he is out.

If a pitch is in the strike zone and a batter steps in and gets hit by the pitch, it's a strike rather than a HBP.

Let me see if I can translate into baseball for the Americans.  See translation in red above.  There are many similarities between the sports but the overall structure of a game/match is different.  In baseball, there are 9 innings with each team getting 3 outs in an inning.  In cricket, there are typically only 2 (1 per team) or 4 (2 per team) innings with an inning being 10 outs for one team.

Edit: Graham...let me know if I got anything wrong.  It's been a while since I've watched any cricket.

Edited by bobmacliberty
  • Thanks 4