Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Now you are making me feel old.  Everyone ages at different rates, so as they say, age is just a number.  I prefer to look at my biological age, instead of my chronological age, because it says I am really 10 years younger. 

I haven’t given up on any of those house maintenance chores yet.  I am a big proponent of trying to stay active and healthy.  It helps when you have a group supporting and encouraging your activity levels and completing every day.  That is one reason I love my activity tracker. 

My day yesterday. 

A448D53F-06B7-4D6A-B554-34B084F37AAA.thumb.jpeg.ccac68177e90725c8c5873f2d4e2373d.jpeg

I have been doing this every day for 7 years, and it does make you feel younger. 

#GOALS.  
Kudos to you Mark. I’d  like to accomplish even half of this every day.  What’s your secret to getting these numbers?  And how do you measure biological age vs chronological?  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Test -- I'm trying to post a video of DH trying his best to comply with the kids' requirements of "hand made pasta".... If the experiment will succeed, he will proceed to find more suitable tools instead of just hangers....

The hangers are a great idea Dani. A space saver as well.  This brought back memories of my Italian grandmother making homemade pasta when she would visit. My parents had a pool table in their rec room which she would cover with a bedsheet and lay the pasta out on it to dry

overnight. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Now you are making me feel old.  Everyone ages at different rates, so as they say, age is just a number.  I prefer to look at my biological age, instead of my chronological age, because it says I am really 10 years younger. 

I haven’t given up on any of those house maintenance chores yet.  I am a big proponent of trying to stay active and healthy.  It helps when you have a group supporting and encouraging your activity levels and completing every day.  That is one reason I love my activity tracker. 

My day yesterday. 

A448D53F-06B7-4D6A-B554-34B084F37AAA.thumb.jpeg.ccac68177e90725c8c5873f2d4e2373d.jpeg

I have been doing this every day for 7 years, and it does make you feel younger. 

Wow, I'm in awe of your activity levels 

• Like 7

Our grandson has another bad cold so I've been nursing him the last three days whilst his parents worked. He's been sleeping a lot cuddled in my lap, so of course the inevitable has happened and now I have a lousy cold and feel pretty rough. So taking it easy today. Had to cancel a few things, but hoping it won't be a two week cold like last month. 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 1/12/2023 at 7:12 AM, Bailey & Sophie said:

I'm hoping someone can help with this.

My aunt died a few weeks ago (90 yo) and left a house full of traveling treasures. I don't know how many HAL world cruises they were on but there were several.

My 2 cousins are executors (glad it's not me) and are going through the house before it goes up for sale.

I've been trying to help as I can with items that have antique value, but this has me puzzled. I think she bought it in the Middle East by the inscriptions. Can anyone help? 

thumbnail.jpeg

I'm sorry to hear of the death of your dear Auntie and send our condolences to all your family.

The item looks like a serving dish and nicely decorated but no idea of its value.

5 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Our grandson has another bad cold so I've been nursing him the last three days whilst his parents worked. He's been sleeping a lot cuddled in my lap, so of course the inevitable has happened and now I have a lousy cold and feel pretty rough. So taking it easy today. Had to cancel a few things, but hoping it won't be a two week cold like last month. 

Sending you both our best wishes Sue.

Screenshot_20221224_105757.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

FB_IMG_1673613111277.jpg.e1ca923918eb865671047e8d58248150.jpg

This reminds me of my mom's chonky boy, Storm.  

She puts a pen/stylus on the edge of the table next to her chair in the living room, just so Storm can knock it off.  Then she picks it up and puts it on the table again, so he can knock it off again.  

Storm has Mom very well trained.

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

10 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

My dad was really into model airplanes. When he had the house built he had a room dedicated just for his models. They were really big. He made them so each wing came off so he could bring them inside to hang them on the walls. Growing up I also used to go to the fields or shows with him. Mike never got into them.

Yes, the big models take up a lot of space, not just for storage but also for working on them.  He keeps several planes in a trailer that he can take to the flying field, and the rest are stored in his workshop.  One of the reasons we bought our current house was that it had a 4-car attached garage, with a wall dividing the space in half.  A space for two cars in one half, and a big workshop in the other half.  Andy practically lives in the workshop.  I honestly don't know what he would do all day if he didn't have this hobby. 

I don't think there are many pilots of full-size planes in his model RC club.  Piloting from the ground is a whole different perspective from flying in the cockpit.  Andy dabbled with using First Person Video with a model plane, and couldn't get into it because of the perspective issue.

I'm glad you have the memories of going with your dad when he flew his planes.  That's special.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I saw this ad from 1969 the other day, and I thought there were at least a half dozen I would take at that price. 

250031F0-8B44-4CBB-944D-B43A12988AEA.thumb.jpeg.4d9887b04a87b143d3d3d6226a0113fd.jpeg

It's amazing what these cars can sell for now.  Do you ever watch the Mecum Auto Actions on TV?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Test -- I'm trying to post a video of DH trying his best to comply with the kids' requirements of "hand made pasta".... If the experiment will succeed, he will proceed to find more suitable tools instead of just hangers....

IMG_7391.MOV 24.17 MB · 5 downloads

That pasta looks awesome.  I also love that he wants to please the kids.  There's nothing like an appreciative audience to provide motivation!

• Thanks 1

@h20skibumOh no! I didn’t mean to make you feel old!

Good that you have the outlook and ability to have a high activity level.

I agree that there is a difference between biological age and chronological age.

I also agree that keeping active as we age is most beneficial. But, we also need to recognize our limitations and make adjustments.

While my hubby no longer does the heavy home maintenance , he does tackle many jobs around the house. He is hampered by knees that took a beating from playing college football. He is trying to stay away from knee surgery as while some people we know have had successful surgeries, some others have not had good outcomes. So,he chooses activities that will not cause any potential further damage to his knees.

He has always been athletically motivated and continues daily walks in our neighborhood or bicycles in our area for miles.

Wishing you continued good health and a positive outlook .

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 8

18 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you everyone for your kind words of compassion and good wishes.

Sarah was admitted into hospital this morning and when the surgeon saw her he gave her options for a dangerous operation or injections.

She has opted for the injections which he said will be done in 1 weeks time as an emergency instead of 16 weeks normal.

As well as the slipped disc she has Cauda equina syndrome.

IMG_20230112_195942.jpg

Graham, I'm sorry to read this. Hopefully the injections will do exactly what they are supposed to do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, singinalot said:

@grapau27 this is sounding very similar to what Nate went through from our car accident in 2018. we started with injections, then an RFA procedure, then eventually back surgery in December 2020. happy to give any insight if Sarah feels the need 🙂

Thank you Crystal.

I'm pleased for you both that Nate is well now and you are both settling in Florida.

Your new pool looks like it will be amazing.

Graham.

On 1/11/2023 at 11:32 AM, derorim said:

You summed it up pretty well.  I’m glad you have those nice memories of your dad.

That airplane is awesome.  What a labor of love. 

12 hours ago, Jimbo said:

kai-lounger-3.jpg?v=1660771136

I have sat in those style of chairs and getting out of them is not easy. 😂😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, MJSailors said:

@Sea Dog Greg- I realize that you truly enjoy celebrating Christmas,but there is a saying- Less is more.

As we get older,we need to consider our energy levels,physical strength and ability to do certain tasks that came easy to us at a younger age.

My hubby is 71 and no longer does household maintenance that requires standing on a tall ladder or working on his knees. For years he maintained our gardens and stained/painted our house. He took a lot of pride in how he kept our house and property in excellent condition. Back and knee issues got him to adjust his thoughts about taking care of the house and property.

About ten years ago, we changed the deck to Trex material with vinyl railings and had the house done with vinyl siding. We hired a landscaper and a lawn care company. We have had a painter do some interior work and exterior trim work. 

As we say- the most useful tool in our house is the phone !

The idea of getting a younger person,either your son or someone interested in the job of decorating your home is a good one.

In our neighborhood, there are landscaping /decorating companies that will decorate private homes for the holidays. That may be something you could look into.

Or, you could go through your myriad decoration collection and possibly sell some of the items or donate them where others could enjoy them. 

Please don’t take my post as telling you what to do,but just some thoughtful suggestions after reading your post about putting all your decorations away - an awesome job.

MJ🙋🏻

You make some excellent points and don’t worry I did not take your post the wrong way. You are concerned and I appreciate that very much. Each year I make the comment to Linda that I’m getting too old for putting all the decorations up and taking them down. Yesterday afternoon after putting away the last of the decorations my other knee was killing me. I know I should cut back but it’s hard. I love our house when it’s all decorated. We have guests who come and think our holiday house should be in a magazine. I take pride in that. Some day I will slow down. The main thing I need to be careful with is getting up high on ladders. Don’t tell my wife but I have had a couple of close calls. Thanks for your suggestions and I will take them to heart.

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

No problem after a few drinks you just roll off and shimmer yourself into the pool.🤪

Edited by Jimbo
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

#GOALS.  
Kudos to you Mark. I’d  like to accomplish even half of this every day.  What’s your secret to getting these numbers?  And how do you measure biological age vs chronological?  

I think I keep motivated by doing Fitbit challenges with friends online.  We have had the same group of 10, keeping each other motivated for the last 7 years.  No quitters there, although today is National Quitters Day (the day everyone gives up on their New Year Resolutions.  I have been averaging that, most every day this week since we have a fierce competition going on.

As for biological age, there are some calculators on line, and there are several factors they use to determine e it.

2 hours ago, derorim said:

It's amazing what these cars can sell for now.  Do you ever watch the Mecum Auto Actions on TV?

I do see that, and prices are up there.  I wouldn’t mind having the Camaro  SS 396.  My sister’s boyfriend had a new one in 69, and I remember a few times behind the wheel of that one.  That is the first car I ever topped 100 mph in.   It is a miracle we survived our youth.

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

This is seriously a concern for us in looking for sun ledge furniture.  The online pictures look great, but the only people sitting in them are 20-something year old, physically fit models wearing bikinis.  We are none of the above.  We're thinking of going with something that's a more upright chair rather than a reclined chaise lounge chair...like this:

image.thumb.png.e401c637001ebd17874df817e4f11b91.png

Signature Chair - In Water Pool Chair | Ledge Lounger (ledgeloungers.com)

They're still low to the water, but hopefully we'll just need to swing our legs to the side and push up.  

• Like 9

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

I hope that you and your little grandson feel better quickly, Sue!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1