Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

February 2, 2025, WONDER 😘

I am hoping to see you on it. 

And OceanBoy, you too……think of all the toe pictures we can take!!!!!
And hoping to see all of you from A to Z in person. I mean it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

And OceanBoy, you too……think of all the toe pictures we can take!!!!!
And hoping to see all of you from A to Z in person. I mean it. 

I just might be making a visit to next cruise desk next week on Anthem😃

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have to look but I think all our free covid test kits have expired. 

We found out a couple weeks ago that RC is requiring test for the Hawaii cruise.  Being on SS, I was able to get 8 free test so I was able to get 1 one all 6 of us and 2 backup test!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We found out a couple weeks ago that RC is requiring test for the Hawaii cruise.  Being on SS, I was able to get 8 free test so I was able to get 1 one all 6 of us and 2 backup test!

HAL didn’t require a Covid test for our January cruise to HI .  Unfortunately, we caught the bug and spent the last four days in isolation.  

• Like 2

Finally getting caught up here after the Bella cruise. 
@Ozark_Kid I’m sorry to hear about your health challenges and hope that the final testing will reveal something different.  In addition to your own loving family you have all of us praying for you. 
@dani negreanu oh, Dani I’m so sorry your DH is in such pain and you had to cancel your trip. I hope he improves soon and you can reschedule.  Helen & Marty helped set me up as you mentioned so I’ll be in touch with any questions about our Med cruise. 
Sorry to hear about those with Covid or ‘colds’ that test negative.  At this point I don’t have much faith in the validity of tests but as @bobmacliberty says, sometimes a cold IS just a cold.  
We’re spending a final few days in Orlando before heading home, but I have to ask “who turned off the heat????”  High temps have been in the low 60’s, but supposed to be 77 tomorrow.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Sunny day in St Croix, stopped foe a beer in local pub that was playing Sinatra music, here are a couple of cruise pictures 

image.jpeg.0830bfbaba23f41ba2f739eeaaec14d3.jpeg

image.jpeg.1a5393d75b87aeee3244752c6f8a75ab.jpeg

image.jpeg.21bc8581f86f6fb7fb0aba32a96831df.jpeg
came close to missing a cruise because of back pain in the past , my doctor has given me some muscle relaxer pills , I normally take one at night can take more if needed. Another great show tonight Chicago original drummer with a great backup band , most shows go a little over a hour this went a hour and 45 mins . What is really bad is that there is so much music in different venues you have to pick and choose , after leaving Chicago show passed another show LSB a European group was doing a great cover of Dylan’s like a rolling stone, then passed another that was doing Rolling Stones covers .will post more pictures later.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

DH started complaining about back pain more than a week ago, happens to the best of families, took some very light pain reliever and hopped for the best.

By Tuesday, though, he made an app. with our family doctor for the following day. So, Wednesday evening he came home, saying that the dr. gave him something for the pain, and assured him that in 2 days time, he'll be good to go. Took the pill, had a good night sleep, and the future seemed pink.

Thursday evening he took a turn to worse, the pain radiating from the back all the way to his upper abdomen. We had a sleepless night, and at 8am were already at our dr. clinic, who, allegedly, had 8am-10am hours, it being Friday, a half day work here.

We had my b'day celebration Friday evening, but I really wasn't in the mood... DH managed to put a brave face when we got to the restaurant, and DS1 (who was also celebrating his b'day), playfully offered to touch his father's aching back and take his pain away... and, miraculously, it worked!!!! He kept saying: "I'm pain free, I'm pain free". And the evening turned to be a very joyous one.

The "pain free" lasted well into the Saturday, we packed and decided that what we'll see and do -- it will be OK. The only thing missing will be DH's Nikon camera, which he decided not to schlepp because of his back.

But Saturday night the pain came back in force, to the point of me offering to take him to ER or call an ambulance. He refused, and we had a sleepless night, where it was clear to me that we'll have to cancel. All this time DH continued to take the daily pill, which didn't deliver.

Again, at 8am we were at the clinic, again, nobody showed until 9am, when we gave up and asked the clinic in-charge to find us another dr ASAP.  Luckily, there was a resident in a clinic nearby, who sent us ASAP to the nearest ER. By this time, I cancelled our flights and our riad (hotel) in Marakkech.

Some tests and roentgen pics later, nothing "catastrophic" was found (heart attack and pancreatitis was feared mostly), as the ER dr. phrased it, and I stubbornly asked for something to relieve hubby's pain. In the end, he was given an infusion and sent home with another prescription for his pain.

@dani negreanu Dear Dani, I am so sorry that your hubby is in pain and that you had to cancel your half of the Anniversary Celebration and your birthday trip. 😞  You really needed that special getaway and reprieve from the stress in your part of the world. Hopefully, the source* of his pain will be discovered and he will be free of pain soon and you can reschedule your vacation.

You and your hubby will be in my thoughts and prayers. 🙏🏻 

😚 Sue

* I hesitated adding this… but it may help??

First of all, I’m not a dr or a diagnostician, and it’s probably none of my business, and I shouldn’t “second guess” your drs. … but I’m wondering if the drs. took any other types of images besides roentgen pics (x-rays?) 

While I was reading about your hubby’s symptoms and how the pain traveled from his back to his abdomen and went away and then returned, it reminded me of the gall bladder attacks that I used to get that took months to be diagnosed.

The ER dr. who finally determined that I might have gallstones said that he thought I was having “referred” pain and not the pain typically associated with gallbladder stones.  He suspected that a stone might be migrating from my gall bladder and then get stuck in the upper duct (pain in upper abdomen and sternum) and then it would go back where it belonged and I would feel okay until it decided to travel again.

Since this happened decades ago, I’m not sure which type of imaging was used. It may have been an X-ray or CT scan, but I really think it was an Ultrasound, because that’s what I needed to have when I had kidney stones that also liked to travel. By the way, the ER dr. was correct. I not only had one stone, but many, and my gallbladder was successfully removed laparoscopically. 

Edited by CrzLvr2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

February 2, 2025, WONDER 😘

2 years in advance is difficult for people who work.

I booked Bella 1.   2 years in advance but had to cancel a year later due to Paulines work commitments.

The cruise time and departure port sounds good though.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, CrzLvr2 said:

but I’m wondering if the drs. took any other types of images besides roentgen pics (x-rays?) 

No.

Since this happened decades ago, I’m not sure which type of imaging was used. It may have been an X-ray or CT scan

Thank you so much for your thoughts, Sue. I really appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

The CT and MRI scans are very expensive, and the drs have to give a lengthy explanation why they prescribe it. Then, the referral goes through 2 or 3 levels of higher up drs for approval...

DH is not keen on CT, since it is hard on his 80% functioning only kidney. For the moment, trying less invasive (meaning potential kidney damage) tests.

For now, he is resting and reading the book he meant to read during the long flight 😢

• Like 12

10 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Thanks, Arzeena. I'll try. The long flight (14.30 hours) is the biggest "deterrent".

Also, to really enjoy the cruise, we'll have to arrive at least 3 or 4 days before, otherwise the jet leg will "kill" us... Might need to remain in Miami another day or two, since there are no daily direct flights Tel-Aviv - Miami.

I'll start saving for BC tickets...😉

When I checked those for Bella's, they were ~5K each 😢

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I just might be making a visit to next cruise desk next week on Anthem😃

You must. I am really looking forward to seeing you then and even before …..you know we are practically neighbours😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Thanks, Arzeena. I'll try. The long flight (14.30 hours) is the biggest "deterrent".

Also, to really enjoy the cruise, we'll have to arrive at least 3 or 4 days before, otherwise the jet leg will "kill" us... Might need to remain in Miami another day or two, since there are no daily direct flights Tel-Aviv - Miami.

Orlando International airport or even Melbourne are close to Port Canaveral Dani.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Two years out is even difficult for those of us who do not work.  Early last year, I may not have given it a second thought to book one that far out. However, after dealing with 5 cancelled cruises, it has left me somewhat gun shy. We just now got the last of our FCCs from those cruises. 

Maybe by next year, we will be able to look at that sailing. 

In the meantime, we have booked Symphony from Ft. Lauderdale, 8 nights 12/16/23-12/24/23, going to Labadee, Aruba, and Curaçao.  If anyone is looking for something before Christmas……

• Like 8

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Orlando International airport or even Melbourne are close to Port Canaveral Dani.

Thanks, Graham.

We're very limited in our direct flights options from Israel. After our fiasco with a connecting flight to Venice, no more connecting flights for us until the travel will get back to pre-Covid, if ever.

Connecting for us means either through NY, which can be very tricky beginning of February, or Atlanta, which I'm not sure it's an easy option.

For now, we have direct flights with our national airline or with AA. IIRC, Renee ( @ReneeFLL) said that AA will stop flying this route in the near future...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I booked Bella 1.   2 years in advance but had to cancel a year later due to Paulines work commitments.

The cruise time and departure port sounds good though.

There are all sorts of uncertainty when booking 2 years out but the big plus side to the Bella 2 cruise is you can book with a refundable deposit.   Lord willing we all can make it but if not there is no loss.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I understand how long flights are not easy, when I flew to Cambodia it was very long.  Our next cruise from Hawaii is not as long but long to us.  We decided we will first fly to LAX, spend the night and then fly to Hawaii the next day.  If you fly half way to a nice stop, spend a couple days then fly the rest it would maybe lighten the jetlag.   

The thing is if you booked with a refundable deposit it would reserve a spot for you now and if closer it looks like things won't work you can easily cancel and be out nothing.

As for cost, if you can enjoy an OVB or less you can book an OVB for about $2,600 us right now.  That's total cost, not each.  THE TA saved us about $1,000 compared to booking through RC.  And it's a refundable deposit.   So you can reserve a room now and decide later.  We were able to book OVBs on our favorite deck 8!  Not sure it will work out but there is always hope!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Two years out is even difficult for those of us who do not work.  Early last year, I may not have given it a second thought to book one that far out. However, after dealing with 5 cancelled cruises, it has left me somewhat gun shy. We just now got the last of our FCCs from those cruises. 

We are booking to the end of 2024 for now.  But I agree that booking ahead too far makes me more nervous now.  We are trying to book only onboard with just $200 to lose or doing refundable deposits in 2024.  My cancer diagnosis in 2022 and covid changed our way of thinking.

• Like 6