Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

6 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Sorry to ask what might be another dumb NYC question...  I'm booking flights and the intention was to fly in to Newark and stay there since we are cruising out of Cape Liberty but now that plan has changed and I want to stay in Midtown.  Would I be better off flying into JFK and flying out EWR after the cruise or should I stick with EWR both legs?

Not a dumb question at all and there is no easy answer other than "It depends".   Traffic from either airport is a crap shoot but plan on at least 1 hour from either.   As @George C, JFK has a flat rate taxi fee which is $70+tolls and a $10 "rush hour" surcharge where EWR will be variable.  However, JFK is a much bigger & busier airport that is the middle of a 4 year, $19 billion renovation project that I'm sure will snarl the roads. When LGA was being renovated, taxi's literally would drop people off on the shoulder of the parkway as it was impossible to get into the airport. JFK officials have said they learn from those mistakes but well...... I can't tell you how many years of my life I lost sitting in traffic on the VanWyck Expressway (the main highway out of JFK to Manhattan) & that was before construction. Also, Jet Blue's Terminal 6 is slated for construction this year. 

Personally, I might lean towards EWR but I never flew into a NYC airport to go into Manhattan as I live north of NYC. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

However, this person seems to have it figured out.  Very wordy links but much of it deals with public transportation which is not great for either airport. But if you focus on the taxi & ride share portions, it's a quick & informative read.

https://www.imjustagirl16.co.uk/best-ways-to-get-from-newark-airport-to-manhattan/

https://www.imjustagirl16.co.uk/best-ways-to-get-from-jfk-to-manhattan/

Good luck!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Not a dumb question at all and there is no easy answer other than "It depends".   Traffic from either airport is a crap shoot but plan on at least 1 hour from either.   As @George C, JFK has a flat rate taxi fee which is $70+tolls and a $10 "rush hour" surcharge where EWR will be variable.  However, JFK is a much bigger & busier airport that is the middle of a 4 year, $19 billion renovation project that I'm sure will snarl the roads. When LGA was being renovated, taxi's literally would drop people off on the shoulder of the parkway as it was impossible to get into the airport. JFK officials have said they learn from those mistakes but well...... I can't tell you how many years of my life I lost sitting in traffic on the VanWyck Expressway (the main highway out of JFK to Manhattan) & that was before construction. Also, Jet Blue's Terminal 6 is slated for construction this year. 

Personally, I might lean towards EWR but I never flew into a NYC airport to go into Manhattan as I live north of NYC. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

However, this person seems to have it figured out.  Very wordy links but much of it deals with public transportation which is not great for either airport. But if you focus on the taxi & ride share portions, it's a quick & informative read.

https://www.imjustagirl16.co.uk/best-ways-to-get-from-newark-airport-to-manhattan/

https://www.imjustagirl16.co.uk/best-ways-to-get-from-jfk-to-manhattan/

Good luck!!

Thanks so much. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is a clear 35°F in North East England at 08.19am.

I hope everyone is safe and well and prayers 🙏 uplifted for Dani @dani negreanu and her family at this worrying time.

It is a clear 25°F in Southern New England and I can't wait to be down in the Caribbean.

• Like 13

15 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

It is a clear 25°F in Southern New England and I can't wait to be down in the Caribbean.

The Caribbean is where I would like to be. We are under a winter weather advisory this morning.  Reduced speed on interstates, vehicle restriction, and several inches of snow expected.  

Looks like my snow blower will get a workout today. 

• Like 9

40 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

The Caribbean is where I would like to be. We are under a winter weather advisory this morning.  Reduced speed on interstates, vehicle restriction, and several inches of snow expected.  

Looks like my snow blower will get a workout today. 

Yes

Schools closed her in our county. 
DH on way to work. 
Roads snow covered ( not excessive). 
Taking his time, left early. 

Between his tractor snow blower and Kubota I don’t know which boy toy he will pick to plow when he gets home at 4:30pm. 

Last year he only used it about 3x. 
He has been eager to do it this season. 

Me, well I watch him through the window. 
Just making sure he doesn’t get into trouble. 

He usually does our 2 neighbors as well. 

Be safe

Stay warm. 

• Like 11

It started snowing around 6 am.   Expecting 4 to 6 inches in my area.

Going to leave for work after 7 and would love an early dismissal.

I was suppose to be on Anthem 11 or 12 nighter to caribbean but cancelled then planned on being in Cape Coral and Gasparillo island leaving yesterday, but nope here I am in the snow and bitter cold temps tomorrow.   Ugghh!!

• Like 9

Morning visitors. 

Rest of herd in woods behind house. 
This herd is a threesome. 

The luncheon time just has a loner. 

and

The dinner herd consists of 7 members. 

Eating from our “backyard” trimmings pile. 
Leaves, branches and cleanup from garden. 

IMG_0110.thumb.jpeg.d05b42dbc1a3d20f146b0058cbe67a01.jpeg

• Like 15

3 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Boarding Jewel tomorrow !!  Yay 😀 

Flew into San Juan late last night and hanging out in Condado for the day.  I started a live thread for anyone who’s interested in following along.  Cheers!

Already following, and you got out of town just in time.  Seems like the state has put restrictions on all the highways due to the storm 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Already following, and you got out of town just in time.  Seems like the state has put restrictions on all the highways due to the storm 

Major east coast airports already have ground stops in place. Anyone with connections through Newark and Baltimore may find issues flying today.

• Like 3

It is 48F right now.  Saturday and Sunday will be cold and we will have freezing temps. at night.  Darting Monday it will start to warm up.  I will have a lot of yard work this spring, we have our lemons wrapped so I hope they make it. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Boarding Jewel tomorrow !!  Yay 😀 

Flew into San Juan late last night and hanging out in Condado for the day.  I started a live thread for anyone who’s interested in following along.  Cheers!

Have a great time Mark!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

It started snowing around 6 am.   Expecting 4 to 6 inches in my area.

Going to leave for work after 7 and would love an early dismissal.

I was suppose to be on Anthem 11 or 12 nighter to caribbean but cancelled then planned on being in Cape Coral and Gasparillo island leaving yesterday, but nope here I am in the snow and bitter cold temps tomorrow.   Ugghh!!

Oh, but Debbie, it's good that you changed your plans.  Pouring rain today (again;) Cape Coral has had heavy flooding for two days already this week .  I have never known us to have as much rain as we have been having this past month.  I should've gone to the pool instead of clothes shopping yesterday.  I sure blew it!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is a clear 35°F in North East England at 08.19am.

I hope everyone is safe and well and prayers 🙏 uplifted for Dani @dani negreanu and her family at this worrying time.

Good afternoon Graham.  Pouring rain here in Naples, but how can I complain when I don't have the heat on and I'm not freezing here.  We almost don't know what the sun looks like here.  Such is life!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@ReneeFLL I know you are the Orchid whisperer so I thought I'd share this picture with you. I've killed every Orchid I've ever had, until now. This cutie not only survived, it bloomed again! I kept it on the porch all summer and fall until the nights got too cool, then brought it inside. It must have liked the change in temperature and then bloomed to show its gratitude. Yay!

20240119_100153.thumb.jpg.7e42f1fe79ec8570f67eb38b3620034e.jpg

Edited by derorim
  • Like 19

It's going to snow for 8 hours but will only get an 1 inch when all is said & done? 

Can't really capture it in a picture but there is a lot of snow just swirling around. Feels like I'm living in a snow globe. 

20240119_103807.thumb.jpg.d0505fb6fda51e01e678aae987cb5e42.jpg

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Good afternoon Graham.  Pouring rain here in Naples, but how can I complain when I don't have the heat on and I'm not freezing here.  We almost don't know what the sun looks like here.  Such is life!

Not much sun here either, I do have the heat on, and I'm still freezing.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Snowy here, just enough to be annoying.  We were supposed to go to Atlantic City but it is worse on the way there.  Now we are stuck here😳

Maybe Southwest will now realize why they should stop using BWI as a hub and start offering more non-stop flights again. PVD and FLL are fine and BWI is fouling things up. Actually, never mind, Southwest will learn nothing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Not much sun here either, I do have the heat on, and I'm still freezing.

Im sure enjoying my heated throw blanket when I’m sitting on the couch. Do you have one?

• Like 1