Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

I don't have central air and rely on window air conditioners. Much like autumn when I try to go as long as possible before turning on the heat, I try to wait until at least mid-June before putting the units in the window. Certainly never before Memorial Day.

The heat & humidity the past couple of days has certainly been testing my resolve.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

I agree. I was a diehard Survivor fan for years but became very disenchanted when they started throwing in all the new “twists “ and stopped watching. The show, for me at least, became less and less of what it started out as and I lost all interest. I keep telling myself I’ll give it another shot someday but haven’t been able to so far. 

Same, I used to be a diehard survivor fan never missing an episode until a few years ago.  I believe i posted about it before here but when every tribal began to be a life lesson on race, equality yada yada i lost interest.  entertainment value gone.  I hear enough about how terrible the world is on the news which i also quit watching.  shame because i loved that show.  I will rewatch very old seasons on netflix though 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

I agree. I was a diehard Survivor fan for years but became very disenchanted when they started throwing in all the new “twists “ and stopped watching. The show, for me at least, became less and less of what it started out as and I lost all interest. I keep telling myself I’ll give it another shot someday but haven’t been able to so far. 

6 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Same, I used to be a diehard survivor fan never missing an episode until a few years ago.  I believe i posted about it before here but when every tribal began to be a life lesson on race, equality yada yada i lost interest.  entertainment value gone.  I hear enough about how terrible the world is on the news which i also quit watching.  shame because i loved that show.  I will rewatch very old seasons on netflix though 😀

I recently caught part of an episode - and along with the conversation here - could easily see myself getting sucked back in.

I'll have to rewatch some of the older seasons on Netflix. Season 1 probably seemed so innocent where people thought Survivor meant who could survive in the jungle the best, not who can survive lying, back stabbing teammates. Sue's snake-and-rat speech is legendary.

The Outback and Africa (Seasons 2 & 3 I think) were the best.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I don't have central air and rely on window air conditioners. Much like autumn when I try to go as long as possible before turning on the heat, I try to wait until at least mid-June before putting the units in the window. Certainly never before Memorial Day.

The heat & humidity the past couple of days has certainly been testing my resolve.

All of those big oak trees are a pain to deal with, but then they keep our house 10° to 15° cooler in all the shade.  Here, we get one or two days a year when I think it might be nice to have AC, but then night falls and it cools down.

Plus, with all the trees, it keeps our house hidden from overhead surveillance.  This is our overhead view.

IMG_7030.jpeg.a875e5be1f42d5250b5f23a3afeaf4c1.jpeg

Don’t know why our neighbor insists on having his roof visible?

Edited by h20skibum
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I recently caught part of an episode - and along with the conversation here - could easily see myself getting sucked back in.

I'll have to rewatch some of the older seasons on Netflix. Season 1 probably seemed so innocent where people thought Survivor meant who could survive in the jungle the best, not who can survive lying, back stabbing teammates. Sue's snake-and-rat speech is legendary.

The Outback and Africa (Seasons 2 & 3 I think) were the best.

I had totally forgotten about Sue’s snake and rat speech in the season one finale. That was indeed legendary. Remember seasons 2 & 3 being great as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

If y'all lived in New England you wouldn't even know yet if you had AC problems as there been no need to turn it on.🙂

Those of us that live inland have had the AC on for the last two days. 🙂 We hit 96 degrees yesterday and my house was over 80.  Today was just too humid.  Nice out now though after the storms.  You must get a nice ocean breeze.

• Like 5

I have a very narrow idea of ideal temperatures for my indoor spaces.  I keep our ac set at 74 which goes on sometime in April and goes off in maybe late September.  I keep the heat set at 72 and it goes on when I get cold which may be in November and last until Februaryish.  Basically I don't want to be uncomfortable or have to wear a bunch of clothes inside to keep warm.  

• Like 12

54 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

All of those big oak trees are a pain to deal with, but then they keep our house 10° to 15° cooler in all the shade.  Here, we get one or two days a year when I think it might be nice to have AC, but then night falls and it cools dow

Fortunately, the nights have been cool & the house has good airflow so it cools down pretty quickly.  My backyard faces east & has many tall trees to block out the sun so the house doesn't really get to cooking until mid-to-late afternoon for a few hours. 

However, as the saying goes, it's not the heat, it's the humidity.  No amount of shade or breeze can take away the clammy feeling when its humid outside.

But I'll be heading down to the Jersey Shore (Point Pleasant) for a few  days & if its still hot & humid next week, will put the window AC units in the windows. At least I can still stick to my "No AC before Memorial Day" rule. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

I think Survivor has learned it lesson about bringing race into the mix. If that had continued I would not be watching.

• Like 8

Hello from Venice!  We are starting our 3rd day here.  Our flight from JFK went off very well and we have had a little rain but still have done all we have planned.  Yesterday was an excursion to Murano and Burano.  Today DH and I are doing the Doges Palace tour.  Tomorrow we meet Explorer of the seas in Ravenna!  Here are some pictures.IMG_5045.thumb.jpeg.1578a58617d24d75a4433ae5218b2f14.jpegIMG_5109.thumb.jpeg.d344f4b84c017ee1d7efc8cda466c85a.jpegIMG_5134.thumb.jpeg.7eaa29a4478caae7407f499d3d5d8ea1.jpegIMG_5138.thumb.jpeg.026981884a3c5803d24e018d464cec89.jpegIMG_5240.thumb.jpeg.76f71f6693ed420d74375a902db33def.jpeg

IMG_5147.jpeg

IMG_5148.jpeg

IMG_5171.jpeg

IMG_5175.jpeg

IMG_5189.jpeg

IMG_5225.jpeg

IMG_5237.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

23 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Good morning 4:56am. 

Why am I up when I do not have to be up. 

Frustrating 

Cool room. Warm bed. Snuggling cat. 

Eyes wide open. 

Guess I’ll get up. 

Trouble sleeping through the night is more and more common lately. 

5 hours, and not straight through is —- what it is. 

Be safe. 

I'm the same Sue.

I find if I put my ear buds in and listen to an old favourite story on Audible or BBC sounds, I drop off within five or 10 min, 9 times out of 10. I set the timer for 15 min so it automatically shuts off. DH does the same with his music playlist on Spotify. Others I know listen to podcasts. It seems to put your mind in neutral and stops you overthinking.

On BBC sounds app the lovely Jamie Dornan does a podcast called 'sleep sound' which is good. 

My favorite story is Pride and Prejudice read by Claire Corbett, she has a lovely voice and voices the characters very well

• Like 5

13 hours ago, clochette said:

As others have mentioned mint is very invasive, I have mine in its own planter and it comes back every year, it is currently big enough for many Mojitos.  

As far as chive same thing also comes back, but not invasive, the plant that I have is 20 years old, my now 26 year old daughter got it for me for mother's day at the school sale because it was a pretty purple flower, my favorite "flower" of all time.

I also grow mint in its own pot otherwise it takes over

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jmh2006 said:

Hello from Venice!  We are starting our 3rd day here.  Our flight from JFK went off very well and we have had a little rain but still have done all we have planned.  Yesterday was an excursion to Murano and Burano.  Today DH and I are doing the Doges Palace tour.  Tomorrow we meet Explorer of the seas in Ravenna!  Here are some pictures.IMG_5045.thumb.jpeg.1578a58617d24d75a4433ae5218b2f14.jpegIMG_5109.thumb.jpeg.d344f4b84c017ee1d7efc8cda466c85a.jpegIMG_5134.thumb.jpeg.7eaa29a4478caae7407f499d3d5d8ea1.jpegIMG_5138.thumb.jpeg.026981884a3c5803d24e018d464cec89.jpegIMG_5240.thumb.jpeg.76f71f6693ed420d74375a902db33def.jpeg

IMG_5147.jpeg

IMG_5148.jpeg

IMG_5171.jpeg

IMG_5175.jpeg

IMG_5189.jpeg

IMG_5225.jpeg

IMG_5237.jpeg

Beautiful pics. 

We were lucky to be n one of the final seasons out of Venice in 1918. It was amazing sailing down The Grand Canal 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Can't remember if I updated you guys on my fainting episode on the flight to Singapore.  To recap I've never fainted before and I had no warning or feeling of being dizzy. 

GP said I had to see neurologist and can't drive until given all clear.  All blood tests and ecg were good. Consultant neurologist gave me all clear but said GP should refer to cardiologist as could be heart issue so back to square one.

Our driving licencing authority has taken away my licence but I'm hoping I may get it back after all clear from neurologist. 🤞

It's now been three months without my licence and very frustrating as we live in the country and I'm dependant on Gary to take me anywhere.

On the plus side my smart watch says I'm in the top 15% in the country for steps 😁

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, jmh2006 said:

IMG_5147.jpeg

IMG_5148.jpeg

IMG_5171.jpeg

IMG_5175.jpeg

IMG_5189.jpeg

IMG_5225.jpeg

IMG_5237.jpeg

I absolutely love Venice. I will never forget the first time I walked out of the train station and saw the city, love at first sight.

Enjoy Explorer. That ship was our first RCI cruise. I'd like to see some pictures if you are so inclined.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Can't remember if I updated you guys on my fainting episode on the flight to Singapore.  To recap I've never fainted before and I had no warning or feeling of being dizzy. 

GP said I had to see neurologist and can't drive until given all clear.  All blood tests and ecg were good. Consultant neurologist gave me all clear but said GP should refer to cardiologist as could be heart issue so back to square one.

Our driving licencing authority has taken away my licence but I'm hoping I may get it back after all clear from neurologist. 🤞

It's now been three months without my licence and very frustrating as we live in the country and I'm dependant on Gary to take me anywhere.

On the plus side my smart watch says I'm in the top 15% in the country for steps 😁

Many times fainting is a once and done thing and no cause for the incident is ever identified.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

Beautiful pics. 

We were lucky to be n one of the final seasons out of Venice in 1918. 

Good Morning Sue,   you look fabulous for being over 100 yrs old😁

I'm sure you meant 2018 but I couldn't resist.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think Survivor has learned it lesson about bringing race into the mix. If that had continued I would not be watching.

Agreed.  I think Survivor got a lot of negative feedback.  No discussion that I remember at all this season.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, helen haywood said:

And George just disappeared into the garage to work on the AC.  Sigh.  We’d had a problem with a clog in the drainage pipe that he’d fixed before my ill fated cruise…turns out he thought he’d fixed it then…fixed it again (differently) when we came home.  No idea what today’s issue is…except I’ve had enough for one day…

Not sure what your problem is, but it's important to keep the drainage pipe clear so that condensation doesn't back up into your air handler.  If condensation backs up too much in the pipe, it will trip a switch that shuts off the system to protect it.  If this is in fact your problem, you can clear the pipe so that it drains (hook up a shop vac to where the end of the pipe is located outside) and the switch will reset, allowing the system to turn on again. 

You should have a removable cap where the drain pipe leaves the AC unit.  It's recommended to pour a little bit of a water/bleach mix into the pipe periodically to get rid of anything that may be growing in the pipe that might eventually clog it.  I do it every 2 months when I change the air filter.  This little bit of preventive maintenance is particularly important if you live in a high humidity location.

• Like 4

Good morning. 

I am happy to say it was a better night sleep. 
I kept busy yesterday fought off the urge to be an Napster and fell asleep almost instantly. 

One thing weird though. 
We planted our vegetable garden ( we wait till the week before Memorial Day weekend due to  history of frost in area). 
And of course I am the one who has a history of getting the most mosquito bites. 
So I did spray up head to toe with “Deep Forest” bug spray. 
But must have missed one itty bitty spot on the anterior aspect of my left foot. 
BAM!!!!!!!

Whatever bit me small that it may be itches like all heck. 
Tried cortisone cream no relief. 
Tried Neosporin with lidocaine, nada 

Tried Bactine. Cool relief for10 min. 
Then tried PRID (salve). DANG. Itch gone. 
So if you ever have an outdoor picnic or garden party invite me and you will be bug free. 
Oh. I tried that trick of eating blueberries to ward off those mosquitoes and the only thing I got was blue teeth even after intense teeth brushing. 

Pictures to follow of all our outdoor planting. 

Stay safe. 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Good morning. 

I am happy to say it was a better night sleep. 
I kept busy yesterday fought off the urge to be an Napster and fell asleep almost instantly. 

One thing weird though. 
We planted our vegetable garden ( we wait till the week before Memorial Day weekend due to  history of frost in area). 
And of course I am the one who has a history of getting the most mosquito bites. 
So I did spray up head to toe with “Deep Forest” bug spray. 
But must have missed one itty bitty spot on the anterior aspect of my left foot. 
BAM!!!!!!!

Whatever bit me small that it may be itches like all heck. 
Tried cortisone cream no relief. 
Tried Neosporin with lidocaine, nada 

Tried Bactine. Cool relief for10 min. 
Then tried PRID (salve). DANG. Itch gone. 
So if you ever have an outdoor picnic or garden party invite me and you will be bug free. 
Oh. I tried that trick of eating blueberries to ward off those mosquitoes and the only thing I got was blue teeth even after intense teeth brushing. 

Pictures to follow of all our outdoor planting. 

Stay safe. 

That's one weird thing here in Southwest Virginia, unlike when we lived in NJ were there were a lot. Haven't seen a mosquito here in Virginia for the entire 3 years we have lived here.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I wish there was a forum for talking about surgery…recovery…etc.  I’d love to find such a thing!

Try Reddit.  It has a VERY large forum section covering a very VERY wide array of topics.  It's almost too large.  There are Communities...sometimes called subreddits...that are like individual forums here.  If you find the right community, you can talk to people with similar interests (or who have questions, or who share news, etc.).  We also recently had AC problems ($2700 to replace an evaporator coil...ouch) and I used Reddit to check that the AC company's solution made sense and that I was being charged a reasonable price.    

From the main Reddit page, try various search terms in the search box at the top to see if you can find a community that meets your needs.  The Communities will be listed as "r/community name".  There's a r/surgery community but a quick look at the discussion topics seems to be that it's for medical professionals rather than patients.  There's actually a community for broken ankles.  Good luck.

Obviously, be careful of any medical advice from strangers on the internet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4