Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

On 2/10/2023 at 12:38 PM, Tree_skier said:

Looks great Graham... We board Oasis Mar 5.  I can't wait.

Will you still be on Mar 12th?  I board then for two weeks.

Also, currently on the Navigator and at your recommendation, I went to the Bamboo Room last night for a Buffalo Trace Old Fashion.  You are absolutely right, Rajupt makes a great drink! 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

It is interesting though because the ship's medical center always pushes Dayquil if you have any cough, whether you are seeing them for covid, the flu, bronchitis or an unknown respiratory virus (all of which I have been treated for on a cruise before 😄).

Just curious... why is it interesting that a cough medicine would be recommended for someone with a cough?

Back when COVID was new and test kits were scarce and there wasn't a "standard treatment" for COVID yet, people were complaining that there weren't enough tests available, and I never understood that complaint. 

In the beginning, the treatment for COVID was supportive care of the symptoms.  It didn't matter if you had influenza or COVID or a random virus, because they are all treated the same way, and people were only hospitalized if their symptoms required medical intervention beyond the standard "rest, fluids, NSAID or acetaminophen for fever, cough medicine for cough".   

Having a test kit and knowing if you had COVID or not didn't change the medical advice -- bed, chicken soup, Dayquil would be the recommendation whether someone had a cold, COVID, or the flu. COVID isn't all that special... it was just new, which meant that the people who were susceptible to it ended up succumbing to it. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

@aussielozzie18, aussie,

I took your rec. about Richard Osman's "The Thursday Murder Club" and enjoyed it very much, so much so that I'm in the process of reading the 2nd sequel, "The man who died twice".

And what a huge difference it makes between reading the first [translated] in Hebrew (DH's book, I really struggled with it, it just didn't "flow"... besides "Ve" in Hebrew means "and" - there was this character Ian Ventham, and for some pages I thought there were 2 of them -- Ian and Ntham ☹️ - which didn't make sense..., that's what happens when you want to save buying the same book in English....) and now the 2nd one in English - such a joy. Humor and dry wit.

To sum it up -- highly recommended 😎

They are on 'audible' too if you like listening to a book whilst out for a walk or exercising.

Glad you liked them 😊 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I'm happy to "report" that, as part of our golden wedding celebrations, each of us got to chose a "city break"....

So my DH will be fulfilling a dream of actually living in Venice and going to the [Rialto] market every day to buy fresh products and cook them in our rented apt 😉.

We're flying out early Monday morning via Athens, since our original direct flight was moved to late afternoon, and the proprietor wasn't ready to check us in at 9PM....

Direct flights to Venice are very scarce. We have a very short layover in Athens, luckily we travel only with carry ons.

What did I chose, you ask? I've chosen Marrakesh, also fulfilling a dream.... No cooking involved this time....

How wonderful, love Venice.

Great idea to celebrate your Golden Wedding.

Never been to Marrakesh. Will be interested to hear about it.

Take warm clothes.  We went the first week in March. I didn't realise we would be there for the last day of Venice carnival. Fascinating to see all the masked people in the main square and a big firework display over the bay. 

Very cold though. The liquid hot choc drink they sell is wonderful 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dani if you want a book recommendation to go with your Venice trip. This author has written four or five murder mystery books set in Venice. I think Philip Gwynne Jones lives there and gets right under the skin of Venice. I enjoyed them

Screenshot_20230212-073335_Chrome.thumb.jpg.108ccec4788e042bc612630883340cf6.jpg

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, MJSailors said:

I find that though in the Thursday Murder Club  there. are  many references to British English - a walking frame- in American English is a walker-  for example. But, we get by as we watch many British programs on TV or Prime. Tonight,we will be watching Midsommer Murders on our Public Broadcasting Station,followed by Broadchurch. We are also watching Creatures Great and Small on Sunday nights n PBS.

Take care- MJ🙋🏻

Glad you're enjoying them MJ. They are very 'English' and I can imagine some of the jokes or references may get lost in translation. On the audible versions he does a 15 min talk at the end about his books and writing process which is interesting.  He is a very successful game show host on British TV and comes across as a really nice guy.

There is a private school in our village which has a beautiful very old facade and grounds and has been used a few times in Midsommer Murders 

Love 'all creatures great and small' Very gentle and beautifully shot programme.  It was perfect escapism when we were all so worried during the pandemic.  30 years ago they did the original series based on the books, but I think this new adaptation is just as good if not better

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 6

Talking about TV, the new series of Clarkson Farm is now on Prime.

I appreciate he's a bit if a 'marmite' figure  but I find his show about becoming a farmer from zero knowledge very funny.  And the supporting 'cast' from his partner to Caleb are excellent 

He's also bought more awareness about the problems farmers face than any of the countryside type programmes 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

What did I chose, you ask? I've chosen Marrakesh, also fulfilling a dream.... No cooking involved this time....

I love Morrocan, middle eastern, Mediterranian regional food. Just had some yesterday...Lentil soup, mezze with hummus, baba, dolma, tabouleh, pita, chicken kefta, bulgar,  and the fresh made mint tea.......ok now I am hungry again!😁

Enjoy your trip! It sounds wonderful!

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That is awesome that you were able to get 15 family members to all be together at the same time for family vacation.   Not an easy task to schedule.     Are you staying in a rental property or a hotel?

At Pop Century and our niece got us 4 rooms next to each other! 

We try to have us all together for vacation each year.  The last 2 has been Lakeside Ohio on Lake Erie.  We get together throughout the year.  A true blessing. 

At Christmas Sharon's side of the family got together. 89 showed.  We try to do it every 4th year.  It is usually over 100 showing up. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

This treatment regimen came to me from my cousin who is a physician.

My ENT friend is strong into building up the immune system.  He also bought a few nebulizers to let friends use when they were hit.  It really helped.  The 3rd time I had it I was over it in about 3 days without doing much of anything.   More like a cold., sore throat. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, brillohead said:

Just curious... why is it interesting that a cough medicine would be recommended for someone with a cough?

Back when COVID was new and test kits were scarce and there wasn't a "standard treatment" for COVID yet, people were complaining that there weren't enough tests available, and I never understood that complaint. 

In the beginning, the treatment for COVID was supportive care of the symptoms.  It didn't matter if you had influenza or COVID or a random virus, because they are all treated the same way, and people were only hospitalized if their symptoms required medical intervention beyond the standard "rest, fluids, NSAID or acetaminophen for fever, cough medicine for cough".   

Having a test kit and knowing if you had COVID or not didn't change the medical advice -- bed, chicken soup, Dayquil would be the recommendation whether someone had a cold, COVID, or the flu. COVID isn't all that special... it was just new, which meant that the people who were susceptible to it ended up succumbing to it. 

LOL  Don't change what I say by cherry picking a quote.  I find it interesting that the medicine they push is one that contains a decongestant that many people can not take.  They did not have just a cough suppressant.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@bobmacliberty My new drives came in for the Synology NAS.  While replacing the degraded hard drive I discovered I set it up as a SHR instead of RAID 1. SHR is a hybrid RAID. I read to much on replacing.  It was so simple once I started.  It let me hot swipe the bad one.  Easy process but long.  Took at the least 8 hours to sync. Surprisingly it is letting me load pics and videos much quicker. 

That's good to hear.  I love it when technology actually works for you rather than against you.  Hot swapping is one of the benefits of RAID but like you saw, it takes a while to rebuild.  I wasn't familiar with SHR and had to look it up.  Looks like a great idea that will let you take advantage of drives getting bigger and cheaper over time.  You don't need to worry about all drives being the same size.  👍

• Like 1

With the current discussion on mystery books, I wanted to mention the show that we've been binge watching called Only Murders in the Building.  It's about True Crime aficionados (Steve Martin, Martin Short, Selena Gomez) trying to solve a murder in an upper west side NYC apartment building.  Although it got good reviews and several Emmy nominations/wins, I didn't have great expectations.  Martin Short can be a little too over the top for me, and Steve Martin can sometimes head in that direction also.  But we are really enjoying it.  Not at all what I expected.  They get some interesting guest stars...Nathan Lane, Tina Fey, Jane Lynch, Shirley MacLaine, Amy Schumer, and even Sting.  Worth watching if you have Hulu.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

That's good to hear.  I love it when technology actually works for you rather than against you.  Hot swapping is one of the benefits of RAID but like you saw, it takes a while to rebuild.  I wasn't familiar with SHR and had to look it up.  Looks like a great idea that will let you take advantage of drives getting bigger and cheaper over time.  You don't need to worry about all drives being the same size.  👍

I replaced a 3t with a 4t. I am going to give it a week to make sure all is well and then replace the other 3tb with a 4t.  I am still duplicating my storage for safety. 

• Like 1

@sgmnSue-Thanks for recommending Clarkson Farm. My grandfather started farming in the early 1900s ,growing mostly potatoes. He also had a local trucking company that would bring produce into the NYC markets. My two uncles took over the farm and business and then a cousin before the property was sold for vineyards belonging to a local winery.

So, I think I could  relate to that program. I will give it a look.

We look forward to Creatures Great and Small on Sunday nights. I recall watching the earlier series when it was on tv and agree,I like the newer version better.

The Super Bowl is on tonight at 6:30 in our area. I think it should be finished by 9:00 in time for CG&S. If not, I think we could DVR the program.

Wishing you a good Sunday!

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

The Super Bowl is on tonight at 6:30 in our area. I think it should be finished by 9:00 in time for CG&S. If not, I think we could DVR the program.

I wouldn't expect the Super Bowl to be finished until at least 10:00...probably closer to 10:30. A typical game takes at least 3 hours these days and with extra ads and the halftime show, this game will probably be 3.5 to 4 hours long.  

• Like 3

@bobmacliberty I think that you are right. After I sent my post, I was thinking the game would go later. All those commercials have to be given air time and then the half time show extravaganza, makes for extra time than a regular game.

We don’t have a particular team in the game. Watching it for ,hopefully,some good football. If Mahomes could play like he did two weeks ago with ankle/tendon injury, he may be on fire tonight.

Thinking the Eagles may be the underdog in the game..Being Mets’ fans for years, we are prone to wanting the underdogs to get a chance.

For those true Eagles fans and Chiefs fans, wishing you a good game tonight !

MJ🙋🏻

Edited by MJSailors
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

@bobmacliberty I think that you are right. After I sent my post, I was thinking the game would go later. All those commercials have to be given air time and then the half time show extravaganza, makes for extra time than a regular game.

We don’t have a particular team in the game. Watching it for ,hopefully,some good football. If Mahoney could play like he did two weeks ago with ankle/tendon injury, he may be on fire tonight.

Thinking the Eagles may be the underdog in the game. We root for underdogs.Being Mets’ fans for years, we are prone to wanting the underdogs to get a chance.

For those true Eagles fans and Chiefs fans, wishing you a good game tonight !

MJ🙋🏻

I am watching for the commercials.  There is a Dunkin Donuts commercial that features Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez that was shot at a Dunkins in a suburb of Boston a few weeks ago.  Affleck worked the drive thru window for about an hour giving out free coffee to unsuspecting people.  It was all over the local news.  There is also a Sam Adams commercial that was shot all over Boston spoofing all of the local stereotypes.  I saw a preview of it and it looks really funny.  Rob Gronkowski kicking a field goal should be interesting too.

• Like 2