Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

53 minutes ago, maggieq said:

@dani negreanu I’m looking into the jewel one as I do want to stop in Geiranger  and flam.  I didn’t think Amsterdam were allowing cruise ships anymore?  Perhaps I misunderstood.

I'll do this cruise sooner than later, since, beside Amsterdam, there is talk about banning certain ships (big?) from the Fjords too...

And end of May, beginning of June, IMHO, is much better than Sept. 1st.

From "Conde Nast Traveler" --

After Amsterdam’s City Council voted in favor of banning cruise ships from the city center on July 20, the future of voyages docking in the heart of Amsterdam still remains unclear.

The cruise ship ban was proposed to address ongoing concerns about pollution and over-tourism in Amsterdam. If enacted, the legislation would move the Dutch capital’s cruise terminal outside the city and no longer allow ships to dock in the central district. A similar ban was enacted in Venice in 2021 due to similar concerns.

Although the council vote approved the ban, for now, it is only a recommendation for action. “There is no immediate closing of the terminal,” Dick de Graaff, director of the Amsterdam cruise port, told the AP after the vote last week. “The council’s call is to relocate the terminal—and we await a follow up from the alderman on investigations.”

Industry group CLIA has clarified that cruise ships are currently still being welcomed to the city, and upcoming cruises with scheduled stops in Amsterdam are still allowed to port there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I'll do this cruise sooner than later, since, beside Amsterdam, there is talk about banning certain ships (big?) from the Fjords too...

And end of May, beginning of June, IMHO, is much better than Sept. 1st.

From "Conde Nast Traveler" --

After Amsterdam’s City Council voted in favor of banning cruise ships from the city center on July 20, the future of voyages docking in the heart of Amsterdam still remains unclear.

The cruise ship ban was proposed to address ongoing concerns about pollution and over-tourism in Amsterdam. If enacted, the legislation would move the Dutch capital’s cruise terminal outside the city and no longer allow ships to dock in the central district. A similar ban was enacted in Venice in 2021 due to similar concerns.

Although the council vote approved the ban, for now, it is only a recommendation for action. “There is no immediate closing of the terminal,” Dick de Graaff, director of the Amsterdam cruise port, told the AP after the vote last week. “The council’s call is to relocate the terminal—and we await a follow up from the alderman on investigations.”

Industry group CLIA has clarified that cruise ships are currently still being welcomed to the city, and upcoming cruises with scheduled stops in Amsterdam are still allowed to port there.

Had the concern, the second cruise  Equinox would be to hot mid June, early July.

If the banning issue of  the large ships in the fjords though might make it wise to keep what we got in 2024..........lots of unknowns,

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We were on MSC Virtuoso from Southampton in April and the ship was very new and amazing.

Formula 1 simulators and Ten pin bowling.

IMG_20230427_132815.jpg

IMG_20230427_132838.jpg

IMG_20230427_134525.jpg

IMG_20230427_112730.jpg

IMG_20230427_134414.jpg

IMG_20230429_210935.jpg

IMG_20230429_210918.jpg

What deck was your aft cabin on? If I remember right, you went to Norway  too didn't you?

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 6:59 PM, DaniDanielle said:

Our grandson turned 13 yesterday

Happy belated birthday to your grandson. 

On 8/25/2023 at 10:19 AM, Momof3gurlz said:

We are finally home.  Sorry for any birthdays, anniversaries, illnesses, etc I may have missed.  It was my intention to keep up with at least reading the thread each night before bed, but I ended up just crashing every night.
We flew home from Orlando yesterday and were pleasantly surprised to find a cloudy, 70 degree day.  What a welcome relief after 14 straight days of mid-90’s and sunny with very little rain.  I know mid-90’s is nothing compared to what others are experiencing around the country, but it was tough walking around amusement parks all day in that heat.  My activity data shows we averaged about 8 miles per day walking.  It was 

a great family vacation though and after eating out every single meal, plus wine or cocktails every night, I really need to detox! I’m looking forward to some healthy, home cooked dinners.  And keeping up with the thread 🙂!IMG_9600.thumb.jpeg.61749d725b84a309560a10573417d06a.jpeg

It looks like you had a great time.  Very nice photo of your family. We try to get those family group photos whenever we are all together. 

On 8/26/2023 at 12:14 PM, ReneeFLL said:

A little story about the Flanigan’s near us. There was a head (actual human head) found in the dumpster. The other parts of the body were found elsewhere. We wouldn’t go there or any Flanigan’s for many years. Every time we saw one all we could think about was the head. 🤮 This happened about 6 months after we moved to Fort Lauderdale. Fortunately the killer was caught.

Now I just freaked everyone out with this story.  We have eaten at that Flanigan’s a couple of times. (Had to look up the story to find which one it was). They may not want to go when we are there this winter. 

On 8/26/2023 at 3:14 PM, Ozark_Kid said:

The kids are over celebrating Sharon's birthday 🎂 They made her a homemade German Chocolate cake, her favorite.   And they brought her a bouquet 💐 of flowers from the best florist around 😃

20230826_134857.thumb.jpg.cfec009d76c660a1e624b28aa7238881.jpg

Happy birthday to Sharon. 

On 8/26/2023 at 5:44 PM, TravelGirlinDallas said:

We sailed Adventure last Thanksgiving in 2022, back when it sailed out of Galveston. I honestly had pretty low expectations since the ship was smaller and older. It ended up being one of my favorite cruises. The ship was in great shape - much better than I had expected, the food was good, the shows were good, we went ice skating, we had a fantastic time. 🙂

21154-35745147.thumb.jpg.84206d1f7725efd78f408c8e7e8ee039.jpg

21154-35766144.thumb.jpg.31fd48b4b195608e8dda8301e2250560.jpg

IMG_2055.thumb.jpg.986e455b23a7e16f01b82ddadac7881f.jpg

IMG_2074.thumb.jpg.bb90f25db7d4a95ff5e36dbaf704ac33.jpg

IMG_2079.thumb.jpg.fa4e7d7e359938841beac473e9c5faca.jpg

IMG_2099.thumb.jpg.12d1562fa432cd0e1ccbb285c393baf4.jpg

IMG_2180.thumb.jpg.cf73a7dfd3e172a8da13258d204a38ab.jpg

IMG_2199.thumb.jpg.bfbb88e2beba566dfc405d538a365c1d.jpg

IMG_2377.thumb.jpg.77356e88e549680c74b264132e540cdb.jpg

Your family pictures always look so nice. 

20 hours ago, George C said:

Just watched first episode of Shelter on amazon prime it’s a Harlan Coben story with a very high rating from Rotten Tomatoes, would love to see Netflix or or prime do Harlan Coben Myron Boltar an Winn, Shelter is about Myron’s nephew.

We watched the first 3 episodes, and the 4th should be available now.  I think they plan on 8.  Love all of Coben’s books. 

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

@jagsfan

+ 1 😢

sorry to hear about Cooper. @jagsfan

Apologies if I missed anyone, but it has been a crazy week.  Doing a little catch-up while listening to a Springsteen tribute group at an outdoor concert tonight. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

We’re having a sad week and weekend. 
our daughter’s cat, Cooper, had developed diabetes, and Lisa spent 4 weeks giving him a special diet twice a day and keeping him away from Jasmine’s (their black cat) food. She gave him insulin injections every day, but his sugar never went down, and he was losing weight. 
last Sunday Lisa took Cooper to the emergency vet because he was obviously in distress. They gave him an iv, and ran blood tests. 
Cooper was diagnosed with acromegaly, which causes insulin resistance and other problems. 
She picked him up Thursday to let him have one more day and night at home. 
He spent the entire time in her lap. 
Friday morning she took him back and sat with him till it was over. 
Lisa is devastated and we’re all horribly sad. 
Cooper was one of a kind, mellow but frisky at the same time. Cats are intelligent, but most of them, if they understand what you’re saying, they don’t let on. Cooper was more like a dog, responding to words like go for a ride (which always meant to the vet or kennel), came running when you called him, just a super cat. 
We’ll all miss him so much!

My granddaughter Hannah posted the first two photos on Facebook. I had never seen either of them. 
The third one Lisa took on Cooper’s last day at home. 

IMG_3436.jpeg

IMG_3435.jpeg

IMG_3432.jpeg

I’m so sorry for the loss of handsome Cooper.

Why do u want to postpone this one? In those time, I wouldn't postpone anything....

We were supposed to cruise with my cousin and her DH this Saturday. I've mentioned last week that during a routine check-up, a "spot" was found in one of her lungs. Further tests negated TB, infection, funghi or spores. A lung CT assumes that 99% the "spot" is cancerous....

So, instead of cruising, my cousin will undergo an op (4-5 hours) to remove it, this Wednesday. Being in full penalty, we'll go on with the cruise, but our heart will not be in it.

Oh, I’m so sorry about your cousin! I hope her surgery goes well and she will fully recover.

• Thanks 1

our daughter’s cat, Cooper, had developed diabetes, and Lisa spent 4 weeks giving him a special diet twice a day and keeping him away from Jasmine’s (their black cat) food. She gave him insulin injections every day, but his sugar never went down, and he was losing weight. 
last Sunday Lisa took Cooper to the emergency vet because he was obviously in distress. They gave him an iv, and ran blood tests. 
Cooper was diagnosed with acromegaly, which causes insulin resistance and other problems. 
Cooper was one of a kind, mellow but frisky at the same time. Cats are intelligent, but most of them, if they understand what you’re saying, they don’t let on. Cooper was more like a dog, responding to words like go for a ride (which always meant to the vet or kennel), came running when you called him, just a super cat. 

My granddaughter Hannah posted the first two photos on Facebook. I had never seen either of them. 

IMG_3436.jpeg

IMG_3435.jpeg

IMG_3432.jpeg

I'm really sorry. My first cat, Lily, was more like a dog too. They are hard to find.😔

FB_IMG_1625404158214.thumb.jpg.0ab7bbf6a06717d64715abab3d6e73d4.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Arzeena said:

I am glad you are safe. Please be careful. Thank heavens for Nurse Toby.

@lenquixote66 +1

3 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

These guys can’t handle being with the Dog Sitters.  My son and his family were on a cruise and the dogs were with the sitter.  Don’t know what goes on there!IMG_1099.thumb.jpeg.2316b12a62f57030bfba28a3cb2e54b5.jpeg

It looks like a dogs life, for sure!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Oh Lenny😳

One of my neighbors used to be the Coach of a HS Hockey team .Earlier this year he told me about an OTC product for bruises.We bought it just to have in the house.

I used it twice so far today and it worked very well.It is Arnicare.

• Like 2

I spent a couple days doing storm cleanup.  I just had everything cleaned up from the first storm, when the second one rolled in Thursday night. Woke up at 1am to heavy rain and 40mph winds with gusts to 60mph.  Heard trees falling, but couldn’t see if they were any of mine until daylight.  

Fortunately, I only had a bunch of branches and leaves, but most of my neighbors lost trees.  Lots of cleanup still going on, and some areas are only now (Sunday night), getting electricity back. 

Yesterday, we traveled to Erie, PA to pick up one of Susan’s sisters to celebrate her 70th birthday.  We took her to Bemus Point, NY, on Chautauqua Lake. 

IMG_8769.thumb.jpeg.98c54e4092fc7fc487a65c24e38fd247.jpeg

When I first saw this sign, I thought, oh good, I know several people who should go to parking school. 

IMG_8770.thumb.jpeg.0cf9fc2d34764049d21e4b335b856979.jpeg

Then, I saw this rental.  Looks like a couple kayaks strapped together with a couple seats on it and a 30 hp outboard. 

IMG_8771.thumb.jpeg.f92294817b7cc994feb85651ced1338a.jpeg

I bet that would be a fun ride. 

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Then, I saw this rental.  Looks like a couple kayaks strapped together with a couple seats on it and a 30 hp outboard. 

IMG_8771.thumb.jpeg.f92294817b7cc994feb85651ced1338a.jpeg

I bet that would be a fun ride. 

There's a company by me that rents similar boats as part of a group excursion.  Their description of them as go carts on the water is pretty accurate.  Lots of fun!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Mimi,

Hugs for you and your family. Sorry to hear about Cooper.

@jagsfan  Mimi, I too, am sorry to hear about Cooper.😢

I know it feels like it’s taking forever, and going through it has to be so disheartening, but when you come out the other side, it will be glorious!

Meanwhile, your CC team is rooting for your success!

@mo&franAs Mimi said, we all are here rooting for you!  Good to hear that the Chemo is almost done🙏

So, instead of cruising, my cousin will undergo an op (4-5 hours) to remove it, this Wednesday. Being in full penalty, we'll go on with the cruise, but our heart will not be in it.

I am so sorry about your cousin's prognosis, Dani.  Wishing her a successful recovery.🙏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, jagsfan said:

IMG_3436.jpeg

IMG_3435.jpeg

IMG_3432.jpeg

I'm so sorry @jagsfan.  We lost our buddy last a year ago in June.  I still miss him.  Your story and pictures brought back a flood of memories.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I saw it. I was hoping Curacao would win.

The grand slam they had to tie it up was spectacular.  It was a great final game, way closer than it could have been. We watched the games all this week past. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Had the concern, the second cruise  Equinox would be to hot mid June, early July.

Mid June, early July are much better than July and August. The days are longer mid June.

If the banning issue of  the large ships in the fjords though might make it wise to keep what we got in 2024..........lots of unknowns,

Banning, changing itineraries on a whim, switching ships, "adjusting" the Panama canal cruises, the tragedy in Lahaina, double booking in the very sought after Japanese Celebrity cruises.... you name it.

Eight months it's an eternity between cruises, and don't forget that you didn't cruise for the last, what? 4 years?

• Like 4

We are heading to Bermuda on Liberty on 9/2.  i’m getting a bit nervous about hurricane’s Franklin and Idalia.  Looks like Franklin will pass by mid next week but then Idalias path may pass over FL/GA and take a hard right toward Bermuda.  😳  Keeping fingers crossed.  First and foremost I hope both avoid land and populated areas as much as possible.  

Edited by SteelCityCruiser10
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

The grand slam they had to tie it up was spectacular.  It was a great final game, way closer than it could have been. We watched the games all this week past. 

LLWS is one of my favorite things.  Our team was lucky enough to make it all the way to the Pony League World Series in Washington PA in the mid 90s.  We played Chinese Tai Lei, Bayoman PR, and teams from MD and GA.  Amazing experience.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

LLWS is one of my favorite things.  Our team was lucky enough to make it all the way to the Pony League World Series in Washington PA in the mid 90s.  We played Chinese Tai Lei, Bayoman PR, and teams from MD and GA.  Amazing experience.

That is so cool.  I’ll have to share this with Owen. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

IMO, I would keep what you have booked for 2024.  You have a great itinerary on Jewel.   

We are looking to book a fjords sailing for 2024 before they shutdown cruise ship entry.  We had one booked for 2020 that was lifted/shifted, rebooked, etc then we did not go due to covid testing concerns and  flight issues.   I was so sad we did not go especially at the great price we had back then.

Fjords most likely will close cruise ships out in near future, I would stay with the Jewel sailing.   

Plus the pricing for 2025 maybe crazy!

What is the Equinox itinerary?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

IMO, I would keep what you have booked for 2024.  You have a great itinerary on Jewel.   

We are looking to book a fjords sailing for 2024 before they shutdown cruise ship entry.  We had one booked for 2020 that was lifted/shifted, rebooked, etc then we did not go due to covid testing concerns and  flight issues.   I was so sad we did not go especially at the great price we had back then.

Fjords most likely will close cruise ships out in near future, I would stay with the Jewel sailing.   

Plus the pricing for 2025 maybe crazy!

What is the Equinox itinerary?

....Jewel(12 nights) gets over on 11th of June, fly to Barcelona,2 nights pre, plus 2 nights post cruise in Rome after Equinox(9 nights)

• Day 1: Barcelona - Spain
    • Thu Jun 13 2024 | Depart 05:00 PM
    • Day 2: At Sea
    • Fri Jun 14 2024 |
    • Day 3: Provence(Marseille) - France
    • Sat Jun 15 2024 | 07:00 AM To 06:00 PM
    • Day 4: Nice (Villefranche) - France
    • Sun Jun 16 2024 | 08:00 AM To 07:00 PM
    • Day 5: Santa Margherita - Italy
    • Mon Jun 17 2024 | 08:00 AM To 06:00 PM
    • Day 6: Florence/Pisa(Livorno) - Italy
    • Tue Jun 18 2024 | Arrive 07:00 AM
    • Day 7: Florence/Pisa(Livorno) - Italy
    • Wed Jun 19 2024 | Depart 06:00 PM
    • Day 8: At Sea
    • Thu Jun 20 2024 |
    • Day 9: Naples - Italy
    • Fri Jun 21 2024 | 07:00 AM To 06:00 PM
    • Day 10: Rome (Civitavecchia) - Italy
    • Sat Jun 22 2024 | Arrive 05:30 AM
Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

....Jewel(12 nights) gets over on 11th of June, fly to Barcelona,2 nights pre, plus 2 nights post cruise in Rome after Equinox(9 nights)

• Day 1: Barcelona - Spain
    • Thu Jun 13 2024 | Depart 05:00 PM
    • Day 2: At Sea
    • Fri Jun 14 2024 |
    • Day 3: Provence(Marseille) - France
    • Sat Jun 15 2024 | 07:00 AM To 06:00 PM
    • Day 4: Nice (Villefranche) - France
    • Sun Jun 16 2024 | 08:00 AM To 07:00 PM
    • Day 5: Santa Margherita - Italy
    • Mon Jun 17 2024 | 08:00 AM To 06:00 PM
    • Day 6: Florence/Pisa(Livorno) - Italy
    • Tue Jun 18 2024 | Arrive 07:00 AM
    • Day 7: Florence/Pisa(Livorno) - Italy
    • Wed Jun 19 2024 | Depart 06:00 PM
    • Day 8: At Sea
    • Thu Jun 20 2024 |
    • Day 9: Naples - Italy
    • Fri Jun 21 2024 | 07:00 AM To 06:00 PM
    • Day 10: Rome (Civitavecchia) - Italy
    • Sat Jun 22 2024 | Arrive 05:30 AM

Equinox is also a nice itinerary.   I wouldn't worry about June being too hot. 

Here is daily temps from June 2023.   

https://world-weather.info/forecast/italy/rome/june-2023/

Temps look good to me.  Most days in the low to mid 80s.

Dont overthink.  I say stick with plan A and have a great time!!  

• Like 4