Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I am physically incapable of providing just basic info when it comes to tech so hopefullt this isn't too much info for you. 🙂 I like to use a website called CNET for info about several things tech related, including TVs.  Here is their most recent "buying guide".  It provides a good, not too deep, discussion about features and other considerations when buying a TV, and recommends a few models:

Your TV Buying Guide: Spring 2024 Edition - CNET

You probably can't go wrong if you buy a mid-level or better TV from Sony, Samsung, or LG.  We have all Samsung TVs so that the remotes and user interface are the same everywhere. They will all have about the same features and pretty similar picture quality.  You may hear people saying that one brand is better than another but in this price range, that's mostly brand loyalty talking.  There's not much difference. Here is a Best Buy feature comparison of 50 inch TVs from those brands that are about $500:

Compare - Best Buy

If you read the CNET buyer's guide, they'll tell you to ignore the tech specs.  If you want to save a little and don't need the absolute best picture quality, there are models from these suppliers that are less expensive, and there are brands like TCL and Hisense (both recommended by CNET but I've never owned one).  I picked 50 inch only because you mentioned currently having a 36 inch model.  A 50 inch set will initially look huge to you, but you will quickly get used to the size.  If you've got space and don't mind spending a little extra, I'd go even bigger.  55 inch has become a standard size and 65 inch would be even better for a living room.  Note that these numbers are the diagonal length of a TV from corner to corner.  When determining what will fit a specific space in your house, you'll need to get the width and height values online.

You most likely currently have cable TV and can continue using cable with any new TV.  If you want to cut the cable, there a few streaming services to which you can subscribe.  New TVs come with apps (may be called something different for a specific brand) that you can easily install.  They are very much like a computer...for example launch the Netflix app (by clicking on it with your TV remote), sign in to your separately purchased Netflix service (usually just needed the first time you launch the app), and you're good to go.  You use the TV remote to navigate around the Netflix screen to pick what you want to watch.  Same goes for YoutubeTV, Apple TV, Prime video, Disney, Paramount, etc, etc. You may have more difficulty picking which streaming services to buy than which TV to buy.  Or you may end up (like we did) buying several different services which are starting to add up to almost the same cost as cable. 😁 Almost any brand TV will have an app for the above mentioned services, but you should confirm that in the online specs before buying.

Happy to answer any additional questions. 

I’m so appreciative for your long reply and the time it took for you to do this for me. I’m going to check out CNET .  We have one week left to back out of our contract with Direct TV so we will be buying a new TV this weekend.  Thank you for your help . 

Judy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

We decided to have an early lunch at the beach.

We took Pauline's car out for a change.

IMG_20240426_105644.jpg

IMG_20240426_121359.jpg

It looks beautiful there, Graham!  Hope your arthritis begins to behave for you today.  Hi to Pauline!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I, too, haven't decided on who I want to win now. I was just so impressed with Hunter. I suspect that he is an awesome teacher and a great role model for the kids around him. And though his trust of other people was his down fall, I think that also speaks to his character. 

I agree with you 100% about how Hunter must be an awesome teacher.  What a great guy he is!  He's going to be quite the "hero" in his school, if he hadn't been already.

I feel the same way about Soda.  Having worked in Special Ed, I can see the kids in her classes totally loving her.  I once worked with a teacher who was similar to Soda.  

Kids need enthusiastic and loving teachers.  They've always been needed, but I think even more so these days.

• Like 3

On 4/25/2024 at 9:22 AM, dani negreanu said:

Beside being apart from the whole family, they're settling in nice. Very peaceful and quiet....

+ 1   💐   Marietta and Charlie @DaniDanielle

Dani, would you ever want to relocate outside of Israel? I'm guessing you would not consider it. My heart hurts for your people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I agree with you 100% about how Hunter must be an awesome teacher.  What a great guy he is!  He's going to be quite the "hero" in his school, if he hadn't been already.

I feel the same way about Soda.  Having worked in Special Ed, I can see the kids in her classes totally loving her.  I once worked with a teacher who was similar to Soda.  

Kids need enthusiastic and loving teachers.  They've always been needed, but I think even more so these days.

I agree with everything said about Hunter and was rooting for him.  I don't however think that he was strategic enough for Survivor.  Combine that with how dominant he was in challenges, and I didn't think he'd survive very long. 

If I was in his shoes at Tribal, I may also have hung on to the idol.  It seemed obvious that everyone was voting for Q, even knowing that you can't trust what you hear. He knew that he was vulnerable and was trying to stretch having the idol a few more days.  If he could then get immunity again, the idol would last even longer.  You could see how he really struggled with playing the idol or keeping it in his pocket.  He took a risk though and got burned.  Tiff did the same thing.  She swore that she would play her idol to get the target off her back but in the end, decided to keep it a while longer.  It worked for her.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I, too, haven't decided on who I want to win now. I was just so impressed with Hunter. I suspect that he is an awesome teacher and a great role model for the kids around him. And though his trust of other people was his down fall, I think that also speaks to his character. 

I agree with you .On another note did you ever watch the on line show that I suggested to you:Doctors on Walks Getting Food ? My niece appeared in Episode 5.She and the host of the show edited a book about women in Medicine.They are both medical doctors.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I agree with everything said about Hunter and was rooting for him.  I don't however think that he was strategic enough for Survivor.  Combine that with how dominant he was in challenges, and I didn't think he'd survive very long. 

If I was in his shoes at Tribal, I may also have hung on to the idol.  It seemed obvious that everyone was voting for Q, even knowing that you can't trust what you hear. He knew that he was vulnerable and was trying to stretch having the idol a few more days.  If he could then get immunity again, the idol would last even longer.  You could see how he really struggled with playing the idol or keeping it in his pocket.  He took a risk though and got burned.  Tiff did the same thing.  She swore that she would play her idol to get the target off her back but in the end, decided to keep it a while longer.  It worked for her.

I was shocked Hunter didn’t use his idol , you could see him fidget with it just before the vote. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

@firefly333  I sure hope all works out for you, Jane!  You need to get away without all of these worries!🛳️

Crossing my fingers. Crossing off things to do. I spent this morning throwing away papers not sure its smart to throw away. Got a old laptop out of date I dont use but afraid to throw away.

8th grade certificates, so many memories my mom kept. 

This is me when I lived in hawaii and walked up to a falls daily and was in shape. Photo taken on the road to hana in Maui. Boxes and boxes of stuff she kept. I cant keep them all forever, though she kept them. Her marriage certificate, so many memories. I am not even looking at every paper  too sad. I wish so much she was still here to talk to her. She kept everything in files. .. everything. I threw most out. Kept her retirement folder in case there is a problem with the irs. Almost nothing else. Stuff probably should be shredded. Birth certificates and such with ssn on them. Idk but I'm throwing all those papers out. Idk maybe some day I'll wish I'd kept this stuff. 

20240426_110950.jpg

• Like 21

2 hours ago, George C said:

I have had severe knee pain and was told i needed replacements, I started taking an over the counter drug Instaflex advanced and I now rarely have any pain , this was about a decade ago. I know Seadog tried it but it didn’t help him . 

Agreed anything anyone can do to avoid knee replacement is good. While I don’t regret getting mine replaced it’s a hard surgery and a long rehab. You have to ready for a new normal. That being said I now walk 50 minutes a day without any knee pain. Before I couldn’t even walk. From the car to the store without pain and limping.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Agreed anything anyone can do to avoid knee replacement is good. While I don’t regret getting mine replaced it’s a hard surgery and a long rehab. You have to ready for a new normal. That being said I now walk 50 minutes a day without any knee pain. Before I couldn’t even walk. From the car to the store without pain and limping.

It sure is hard getting older. Glad it was successful and you can walk without pain. 50 minutes is good. I plan on walking more when I move. It's not safe here. Last time I walked a mexican neighbors dog attacked me. Scared here to walk ever since. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is sunny but cool 39°C here in North East England.

Nothing planned for today as my knee and hip arthritis is painful.

The lawn people are coming out to put weed and feed/fertilizer on our back and front lawns today.

I hope everyone is safe and in good health and y'all have a good day.

I hope that your pain goes away very soon,Graham

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Last time I walked a mexican neighbors dog attacked me. Scared here to walk ever since. 

Yikes! I’m sorry that happened to you. Luckily in my neighborhood most homes have wooden back yard fences. There are a few dogs that bark at me when I walk by. It’s funny that it’s mainly all the little dogs. A German shepherd and a large Great Dane just wag their tails at me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I hope that your pain goes away very soon,Graham

Thank you Lenny.

Arthritis pain is there all of the time but sometimes it is worse.

Not being able to mix my heart medication with anti inflammatory medication which is the main Arthritis treatment is the reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

42 minutes ago, George C said:

I was shocked Hunter didn’t use his idol , you could see him fidget with it just before the vote. 

During tribal you could see him going back and forth.  I kept saying play it, play it!  Don't keep it!  I wanted him to stay.  He had a high chance to win another challenge and a chance to find the idol again when they re-hide it.

I thought it was smart for the others to blindside him.  If he would of made it to the end he would of easily won. Also the longer the game goes the harder it gets to get someone like him off.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, h20skibum said:

It is 5:40 am.  I have been up for two hours, read three newspapers, done the morning Sudoku puzzle and am on my 3rd cup of coffee.

IMG_6970.thumb.jpeg.33f30af085815003ce9462accebcf7cd.jpeg

Wow, I forgot all about Sudoku!  I used to play it every day! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

A few years ago the winner of Survivor was Tommy Sheehan ,a school teacher.He lived in my part of NY.I never met him but I know people who did and they said he was too nice of a person to be on the show.

42 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Yikes! I’m sorry that happened to you. Luckily in my neighborhood most homes have wooden back yard fences. There are a few dogs that bark at me when I walk by. It’s funny that it’s mainly all the little dogs. A German shepherd and a large Great Dane just wag their tails at me.

One of my best friends had a 160 lb itilian massiff , now has 4 dogs all smaller than our old cats .two chihuahua’s one of them has three legs and runs around as good as the other three.

Check engine light just came on hopefully this won’t be two expensive, I have a 2010 ford fusion with 38k miles 😁😁

• Like 1