How soon will you cruise again?

With 25% to 50% of the people with the Corona Virus being asymptomatic (not even a fever) it will

be impossible to keep the virus off the ships until (or if) there is a vaccine. For me, with over

40 cruises, I will unfortunately have to give up my favorite leisure activity until a vaccine is developed.

I think many people are not thinking about this fact. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I can certainly understand your concerns. Everyone will have their own comfort level on this.  We have 26+ cruises, and are booked for June, July, August & December. Norovirus has always been an issue on cruise ships....but thankfully, we have never had any issues.  Someone once said:  Life begins outside your comfort level.....and we hold on to that.....but once again.....everyone's comfort level is different.  Do what you are comfortable with.

• Like 6

We are at 36 cruises and will not cruise till at the earliest some time in 2021.  I would love to cruise earlier, but have other land based trips planned and not sure we would be comfortable with, for us, worrying about safety on ship and actually if there is an event, how do we get off safely and back home.

Read just today, there is still cruise ships with passengers still onboard in quarantine. Wishing them the best.

• Like 1

We won't make final payment on a Sept 2020 Med cruise.  It isn't likely to sail regardless.  Hope to do the B2B2B January/Feb 2021, time and circumstances will tell.  

If I was thinking about sailing this fall (which we aren't now), we'd be more worried about being locked in our rooms roaming the sea with nowhere to dock than we would be about catching corona.  Of course, I don't think they'll be sailing this fall anyway...…...

• Like 1

Already had covid-19; had fever for 3.5 days with no other symptoms. I ran three miles the day before I spiked a temp. Ran three miles three days after I got over it.

Two years ago the flu knocked me down for a month. 

Im ready to cruise. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Empehi said:

With 25% to 50% of the people with the Corona Virus being asymptomatic (not even a fever) it will

be impossible to keep the virus off the ships until (or if) there is a vaccine. For me, with over

40 cruises, I will unfortunately have to give up my favorite leisure activity until a vaccine is developed.

I personally won't go until I see society go back to normal. 

There is no better feeling than a final month countdown to a cruise - excitement, anticipation, and happiness.   I will miss this more than cruising itself.  But I have to see our society get back to attending sporting events, school as usual, economy pumping along, flying etc etc before I hop back on.  We are healthy young parents with three kids (under 4) so it's a tad different situation for us.  Can't get sick.  

• Like 2

Hi!

Have 3 cruises booked currently - - - September 2020,  March 2021 and February 2022.  If the ship is sailing, so am I! 

I've had 2 different types of cancer, and the Norovirus---all on land! 

- Clancy

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, zalusky said:

My concern is the rebound.  If you look at this chart from 1917 you can see a number of cities waved back up after they flattened.  https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/03/how-cities-flattened-curve-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-coronavirus/

So yea I am going to need more medical assurance news first.

That’s an interesting read. One thing that strikes me about this, which I’ve not heard addressed in the media coverage. People keep referring to the need for a vaccine but there was none in 1918 and people got back to their regular lives without it. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

That’s an interesting read. One thing that strikes me about this, which I’ve not heard addressed in the media coverage. People keep referring to the need for a vaccine but there was none in 1918 and people got back to their regular lives without it. 

The big difference is that people are incredibly mobile today and as a result you can see how fast things spread over just a few weeks.  Also today people live much longer.  Sick people are surviving that would normally have died off.  We have lots of meds, transplants, and other vehicles that allow us to propagate bad genes.   Intelligence has a way of defeating Darwin to keep us all going.  

Summary there are more people today that are susceptible to pandemics that can spread faster.

The lack of a vaccine was probably more than compensated by youth and less movement.  Just my guess.

• Like 2

Spring or summer 2022. I do a lot of land vacations in between cruises, and usually cruise every other year(ish). Had a cruise planned for June, but I cancelled it.

My kid is starting college in the fall, and already has a big internship lined up next summer, and she’s my cruise buddy, so the likelihood of me rebooking anything before 2022 is unlikely.

Add that to the whole coronavirus “wait and see” stuff we have going on, I’d rather just wait it out. 

We have cruises booked for May and Nov. We are waiting for the May cruise to be canceled so we get a refund and will probably cancel the November cruise before final payment if there is no vaccine by then, which is unlikely. We won’t cruise again until their is a vaccine. Both of our workplaces put in a requirement just before the cruise shutdown that anyone who travels out of the country or on a cruise must stay off work 14 days after returning. We can’t take a chance on getting stuck in quarantine on a cruise for 2 weeks and then having to take another 14 days off after getting back home.

37 minutes ago, zalusky said:

The big difference is that people are incredibly mobile today and as a result you can see how fast things spread over just a few weeks.  Also today people live much longer.  Sick people are surviving that would normally have died off.  We have lots of meds, transplants, and other vehicles that allow us to propagate bad genes.   Intelligence has a way of defeating Darwin to keep us all going.  

Summary there are more people today that are susceptible to pandemics that can spread faster.

The lack of a vaccine was probably more than compensated by youth and less movement.  Just my guess.

I just had a quick history lesson courtesy of the internet. In appears movement of troops in close quarters during WW1 played a big part in the spread. It was also a lot more dangerous to young adults and children than Covid 19. 

The CDC have some fascinating historical documents discussing previous pandemics and lessons learned. What we’re going through has played out many times at different levels of severity. One concern, they documented a few years ago, was that that flu vaccines are only moderately effective. We may need to let it run it’s course as it did over 100 years ago. 

All that said, If our cruise is leaving Rome is September 2020, then I’m on it 😎

If my July 29th ship goes, I am on it......I work all year and save for  a little over a week vacation and especially now, I need something to get me through being quarantined and missing my family.......I work in a school so I can not take vacations any other time. Lysol and "washy washy" will be my friend.......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Empehi said:

Oh, I think more than realize are thinking that way.  I have a good friend who has said exactly what your saying.  As long as the 70+ doctor's note is required, probably more and more will not cruise until there is a vaccine.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

I just had a quick history lesson courtesy of the internet. In appears movement of troops in close quarters during WW1 played a big part in the spread. It was also a lot more dangerous to young adults and children than Covid 19. 

The CDC have some fascinating historical documents discussing previous pandemics and lessons learned. What we’re going through has played out many times at different levels of severity. One concern, they documented a few years ago, was that that flu vaccines are only moderately effective. We may need to let it run it’s course as it did over 100 years ago. 

All that said, If our cruise is leaving Rome is September 2020, then I’m on it 😎

Nature has a way.  We need to find out if this thing mutates.

• Like 1

I'm most concerned with a breakout on the ship stranding passengers on the ship for weeks trying to find a port to accept the passengers back on land with a probable 14 day quarantine. I probably won't cruise until at least 3 months after the cruise ships have proven that is not a reasonable probability. 

• Like 3

Booked 11/29/20 (ok cruise) and 3/8/21 (awesome cruise). I will take zero risk. I only have $450 NRD at risk.  My charge card ins covers nearly everything EXCEPT pandemic cause. I'm 64, so I can always rebook everything.  

Bottom line everything must be reopened and vaccine available. I got off 10 day cruise last Dec 8 and was hospitalized with pneumonia for 10 days. Not going thru that again.....