100 more days

10 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I've asked for years on here; point to something he was wrong about.  He deserves credit for crew advocacy as well. 

Not a single CC member has ever shown anything that Jim Walker has published has been false and/or that he has not been working on behalf of the cruising public. Why wouldn't you want a watchdog over the industry you enjoy looking to protect you? 

He doesn't work on behalf of the public. He's not a watchdog. He's a plaintiff's attorney.

Edit to add, the blog accuses the cruise lines of defying the CDC order. That is not true. The order doesn't prevent the cruise lines from marketing or selling cruises or setting an earlier date to resume cruising. Until the cruise lines begin embarking guests, they are not defying the order.

Edited by Pratique
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Pratique said:

He doesn't work on behalf of the public. He's not a watchdog. He's a plaintiff's attorney.

Show me one thing from him that was not correct or not in the public interest? When has one of his actions been for the benefit of a cruise line and against the general cruising public? The industry should be trusted to self-regulate for safety, environmental sustainability, labor laws without a watchdog? You do have the chance to be the very first person to meet the challenge and win fame and glory 

1 minute ago, LMaxwell said:

Show me one thing from him that was not correct or not in the public interest? When has one of his actions been for the benefit of a cruise line and against the general cruising public? The industry should be trusted to self-regulate for safety, environmental sustainability, labor laws without a watchdog? You do have the chance to be the very first person to meet the challenge and win fame and glory 

I just added to my post above. He's accusing the cruise lines of defying the CDC order. That isn't true. Also, he only represents the interests of his clients. If there is a collateral effect on the general public, then great. But he's not a watchdog. Watchdogs monitor the government, not private industry.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Promoting a narrative that children can fall through an open window in a "children's play area" (just spit balling here)

• Like 1

Unless I am totally confused, the CDC ruling only applies to US ports. If these regulations continue, or the stipulations required by the CDC are too difficult for the cruise lines to meet, could the cruise lines not just leave from a foreign port such as Nassau, Cozumel, or any other non-US port in the world, as long as that country agreed to allow it? It would be a big logistical change for the cruiselines, but would be one way to possibly start Cruises again if the CDC continues extending the ban for the US ports. Obviously airlines would have to resume flights to those ports for passengers to be able to get there, but it appears that airlines may be back much quicker than the cruise lines.

2 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Unless I am totally confused, the CDC ruling only applies to US ports. If these regulations continue, or the stipulations required by the CDC are too difficult for the cruise lines to meet, could the cruise lines not just leave from a foreign port such as Nassau, Cozumel, or any other non-US port in the world, as long as that country agreed to allow it? It would be a big logistical change for the cruiselines, but would be one way to possibly start Cruises again if the CDC continues extending the ban for the US ports. Obviously airlines would have to resume flights to those ports for passengers to be able to get there, but it appears that airlines may be back much quicker than the cruise lines.

Would lose most the Florida market if flight’s were required.  

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

5 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Absolutely!  I posed this very thought (Caribbean embarkation ports) myself to DH.  It's the flights that will present the next problem...along with some infrastructure issues like hotels and dock workers (especially in Cozumel) but I'm sure those countries would jump at the economic opportunity if it were presented.

7 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

If those countries were willing to have massive numbers from the US flood into their countries to board cruise ships, at a time the US is not willing to have them leave from US ports.  I doubt it.

While they do get income from the cruise lines, and the cruise lines have been able to strong arm them into doing what they want.  This situation is a bit different.

Just now, Georgia_Peaches said:

Absolutely!  I posed this very thought (Caribbean embarkation ports) myself to DH.  It's the flights that will present the next problem...along with some infrastructure issues like hotels and dock workers (especially in Cozumel) but I'm sure those countries would jump at the economic opportunity if it were presented.

The logistics involved will be expensive. I’m not sure the US will allow you to return if a cruise line does this to get around the CDC order. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, npcl said:

If those countries were willing to have massive numbers from the US flood into their countries to board cruise ships, at a time the US is not willing to have them leave from US ports.  I doubt it.

While they do get income from the cruise lines, and the cruise lines have been able to strong arm them into doing what they want.  This situation is a bit different.

Not to mention those from US will need to fly back into the US and here we go again. 

I think the logistical issues of departing from Nassau or Cozumel would be difficult to address, especially Oasis Class. Hotel rooms for many passengers for one night before the cruise departs.  Transportation from hotel to cruise port and cruise port to airport.  Ability to embark/disembark 6000 passengers and luggage.  Ability to restock supplies on the ship in a few hours.  Not impossible to overcome, but difficult.

Just now, Milwaukee Eight said:

The logistics involved will be expensive. I’m not sure the US will allow you to return if a cruise line does this to get around the CDC order. 

Yeah, you're probably looking at having to quarantine at a local hotel for 14 days in order to leave, as people at the beginning of this pandemic had to do in other foreign countries.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Promoting a narrative that children can fall through an open window in a "children's play area" (just spit balling here)

Show some proof of that and I will agree with you. 

15 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Would lose most the Florida market if flights were required.  

Isn't that the truth. To add over the years across all lines people were not even willing to fly to Puerto Rico where there are a larger number of flights than some other Caribbean island. I can't imagine someone who lives in an area where  direct flights to Florida are limited or unavailable finding an easy flight to a Caribbean island.   

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I think the logistical issues of departing from Nassau or Cozumel would be difficult to address, especially Oasis Class. Hotel rooms for many passengers for one night before the cruise departs.  Transportation from hotel to cruise port and cruise port to airport.  Ability to embark/disembark 6000 passengers and luggage.  Ability to restock supplies on the ship in a few hours.  Not impossible to overcome, but difficult.

Mind boggling, for sure!

I actually prefer (and do every year) to fly to PR than to drive from Central Florida to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. Very much dislike that crazy 3 plus hour drive down there, plus parking for multiple B2Bs.  Also gives us a head start coming out of SJ with more ports of call to enjoy.  2.5 hour direct flight on Jet Blue.  

35 minutes for us to take our local community shuttle to Orlando airport.  

Met many mulitiple B2B cruisers on board that told us it was cheaper to fly to PR from the NE than to fly to Florida.

Plus the cruises out of PR are generally cheaper.  

Edited by island lady

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

I actually prefer (and do every year) to fly to PR than to drive from Central Florida to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.  2.5 hour non-stop flight. Very much dislike that crazy 3 plus hour drive down there, plus parking for multiple B2Bs.  Also gives us a head start coming out of SJ with more ports of call to enjoy.  

35 minutes for us to take our local community shuttle to Orlando airport.  

Met many mulitiple B2B cruisers on board that told us it was cheaper to fly to PR from the NE than to fly to Florida.

Plus the cruises out of PR are generally cheaper.  

I agree and the flights for me from NY where cheaper to San Juan than to Ft Lauderdale.  The cruises are cheaper only because you and I are part of the few who book. Many complain that there are too many locals boarding which I have never seen. I'm from NY there are more of everybodies locals here than there.

9 minutes ago, island lady said:

Also gives us a head start coming out of SJ with more ports of call to enjoy. 

Yes, that is exactly why we booked the Summit a few years ago. I don't want more than one or two sea days. There are limited direct flights from DC (DCA at least which is just too convenient compared to Dulles or BWI) so we were a bit nervous flying same day but it all worked out. Next time, though, I would try to come in the night before. Fortunately my husband has lots of Marriott points from work travel!

14 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

That nasty lawyer better hope the cruise industry doesn't go away -- he makes his living from suing the cruise lines.  I've read his  website over the years and he has a real beef with the cruise industry although suing the companies has made him a rich man.  .  

Just the article title on his site: "Cruise Industrys Arrogant and Defiant Response"  https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/04/articles/disease/cruise-industrys-arrogant-and-defiant-response-to-cdcs-100-day-extension-of-no-sail-order/

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 minute ago, HxFx said:

Yes, that is exactly why we booked the Summit a few years ago. I don't want more than one or two sea days. There are limited direct flights from DC (DCA at least which is just too convenient compared to Dulles or BWI) so we were a bit nervous flying same day but it all worked out. Next time, though, I would try to come in the night before. Fortunately my husband has lots of Marriott points from work travel!

I have done multiple same day flights to San Juan from JFK 7:00 am flights. These were for 8 and 9 day reposition cruises so I never had time to fly in the night before. Sail away wasn't until 8pm or 11pm so we had plenty of time. If I had more time I would opt for a day or two before. 

9 minutes ago, HxFx said:

We have always booked the same day in the past...but this last time decided to try coming in the night before, since we had the time to do it.  Simply did not work for us...I could not sleep at all in the hotel the night before.  Has always been simple (for us anyway) to just book that under 3 hour direct flight for us.  Jet Blue runs them like buses down there from Orlando. Good service.  

We fly down in the morning...and with the ship not leaving until after 8 pm...has been a safe bet for us.  

Edited by island lady

8 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Carnival CEO Arnold Donald who stated in an Axios interview that cruise ships should be compared to Central Park (which ironically has been closed due to the coronavirus pandemic). He claimed that there is allegedly a lot of “natural social distancing” on a cruise ship which “is not a riskier environment.” He also said that there are “hundreds of cruise ships out there” and “very few had cases on them.”

This is hysterical coming from CCL who is most at fault in the spread of Covid and who have had the most hostages at sea. 

• Like 2

Just now, zekekelso said:

Is this the guy that sues cruise lines when somebody gets drunk and falls off their ship? 

He doesn't sue anyone; his clients do.  I've found time and again that when cases get translated and posted to CC that many facts are missing, dismissed, or overlooked, but if you go through each case on its merits I am still looking for proof that he is a "nasty lawyer trying to ruin the cruise industry".  

1 hour ago, JT1962 said:

That is a possibility, but if the ships have a major health disaster and the US isn’t willing to help out with logistics, quarantine, medical supplies etc, who is bailing them out?  I just don’t see Mexico, Bahamas, Jamaica, etc having quite the resources here in the event they need assistance.  Basically the US is turning their back on cruiselines until Covid either has a vaccine or just miraculously disappears.

• Like 1