Over 70 medical release

retiredgram

I did a search and cannot come up with answer. Does Carnival require cruisers over 70 to get a release from their doctors that they can cruise and doctor certifies they do not have certain health conditions that would make them susceptible to complications after infection from Covid 19. Just wondering for any future cruises.

I'm not sure where it is, but on rcl, at the top of the booking page is a link for the over 70 letter info. I have read additionally carnival requires it signed within a week of your cruise.

Most are hoping it goes away. Personally I'm debating getting a letter signed by my neighbor. How could the cruiseline check to see it's a legit doctor? They just want off the hook imo. 

• Like 3

I believe that was only for a short period. With all cruising halted it is currently moot. I cannot see any cruise being allowed from a US port until all the boxes are checked with the Federal health agencies that oversee the cruise industry and the Administration allows non-critical business to resume. Cruise lines are working on protocols to improve ship cleanliness, food handling procedures, and increased health monitoring of passengers and crew. They will also establish guidelines on how to deal with any health crisis at sea. 

I did speak with my doctor this week and raised this issue with him. He said he was reluctant to provide such a certification, and except for "fitness for duty" in regards to employment are the only such letters he has ever signed. In any case he never includes the nature of his patient's health.

Under consideration is changing the buffet from self-service to cafeteria style, and widespread use of infrared cameras to measure peoples temperature. The cameras can also do facial recognition, and identify people with fevers for follow-up by medical staff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm not sure where it is, but on rcl, at the top of the booking page is a link for the over 70 letter info. I have read additionally carnival requires it signed within a week of your cruise.

Most are hoping it goes away. Personally I'm debating getting a letter signed by my neighbor. How could the cruiseline check to see it's a legit doctor? They just want off the hook imo. 

I showed her RC page, but she had never saw anything on Carnival. Thanks

Not sure about over 70 but we were forced to cancel as my husband has a medical condition and left with no option. (March 15 cruise and then cruise cancelled) Carnival called for us to rebook vs taking refund and when pushed they said we would still need a note stating healthy to cruise and when he checked with higher up admitted that the cruiseport could deny boarding! Worth a call to carnival. It likely is temporary but even carnival conceded that it was futile for us to not take refund.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Nothing about a letter being required on Carnival's website.

I have read that.  I don't know why Royal requires it then.  No doctor is going to sign off on that letter, no matter how healthy you are. This requirement, if it stays in affect, might cause a lot of older cruisers to change cruise lines.

• Like 2

We are 71 and I have spoken with Carnival twice and was told both times that the letter was only for those early March cruises . There is a long thread about this. That being said, when we asked our doctors if they would sign the reply was no. I have seen a few posts where the doctor agreed but not many. To me this was a totally stupid rule to start with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

it makes no sense, so 2 weeks before the cruise you get a Dr's appointment. 2 weeks later you get the Flu, not Corona, how is the the Dr. culpable, answer, not at all. What would sue him for, telling the truth?

• Like 3

Here is Carnival's answer (or non answer) on their FB page.  I am thinking if one line is going to require it they all are.

Is Carnival going to require a doctor;s note in order to cruise if you are over 70 once cruising resumes?

Comments

• Carnival Cruise Line
    Carnival Cruise Line Hi Sam, at this time we don't know if when we resume service what restrictions will be in place for guests to sail.

Karen

23 hours ago, retiredgram said:

I have read that.  I don't know why Royal requires it then.  No doctor is going to sign off on that letter, no matter how healthy you are. This requirement, if it stays in affect, might cause a lot of older cruisers to change cruise lines.

I think once cruising resumes either they will all require it or they will all NOT require it. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 5:04 PM, retiredgram said:

I did a search and cannot come up with answer. Does Carnival require cruisers over 70 to get a release from their doctors that they can cruise and doctor certifies they do not have certain health conditions that would make them susceptible to complications after infection from Covid 19. Just wondering for any future cruises.

I've asked customer service this twice on the phone and they haven't been able to find it anywhere in the system.

1 hour ago, jperry2011 said:

I've asked customer service this twice on the phone and they haven't been able to find it anywhere in the system.

Thank you. I know it is listed on Royal's site was just wondering if it was a carnival issue also.

I  an 72, and my wife is 70. I will be 73 when our cruise is scheduled to sail on the Freedom on Sept. 13 In Galveston. I am to old to put my faith in a memo that was published way back in April. I will take my chances, and if we are denied boarding, I will simply file a claim with Carnival. We are going, if Carnival doesn't cancel our cruise. Plain and simple.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

I  an 72, and my wife is 70. I will be 73 when our cruise is scheduled to sail on the Freedom on Sept. 13 In Galveston. I am to old to put my faith in a memo that was published way back in April. I will take my chances, and if we are denied boarding, I will simply file a claim with Carnival. We are going, if Carnival doesn't cancel our cruise. Plain and simple.

I'm 80. I will be nearly 81 when my cruise in August is scheduled. I found nothing on my "manage my cruise" site about a "letter" even though I already have one as a result of a discussion in a thread some time ago. If I have to go back and ask my Dr. again, I'm just going to chuck the whole thing and go to Europe again. Such petty stupidity. My doctor told me I was healthier than a lot of his 50-year-olds. I can't get the virus any easier than anyone else. If I croak on their ship then it's appropriate for all my 34 cruises on Carnival. 🙂