The Future of Luxury Cruising (from a Regent-lover's point of view)

22 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Wendy, join us for New York to New York on Navigator.  Easy flights.  94 nights; great ports; 31 May 2021

My husband and I are booked on first leg after similar June 2020 was canceled.  Hope it is a go by then. 

On 5/10/2020 at 5:55 PM, Dolebludger said:

A mask requirement for dine-in restaurants/bars would be rather an impossibility, as how can one eat and drink while wearing a mask?

Well someone thinks they have solved it:

BBC News article

I don’t see the idea catching on ................... especially for fine dining on a cruise ship 😷 🙄 

Edited by flossie009

Flossie009,

It is so refreshing reading your posts, along with Marc, pappy, and SusieQft.  You present positive, factual content to this site.  You are extremely helpful to experienced cruisers and newbies.
Thank you for posting knowledgeable, perspective analysis and insight instead of hypocritical and ignorant opinions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I love what the Israeli's have developed.  Flossie - there are some posters that feel that they do not want to pay luxury cruise prices for the experience that they likely will experience on Regent in the near future.  However, there are some of us that want to sail - even with restrictions.  Again, there is no right or wrong here - just differences of opinion.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Watched Jason's video and started thinking about what Regent will look like in the future.  One thing I am positive about is that there needs to be cost cutting.  Over spending is what led to FdR's firing from Renaissance and I am sure he is trying not to repeat same error here.  I think little things that hopefully most won't notice could be done to save costs.  I think Pastry Chef will lose one assistant which might lead to small changes like no more 14 layer cake or fewer specialty teas.  I think F&B's wings will be clipped a bit so their local liquor buys are for necessities only instead of the wonderful local purchases that the F&B (especially Ricky) have doing in last few years.  I think liquor choices could be knocked down a notch; even if it only saves a $1 per bottle at 20,000 bottles per month that adds up.  I am fearful of changing from live to silk flower arrangements in public spaces might happen; you might be able to save one staff just my getting rid of flowers let alone the cost of the flowers.

All small, hopefully not noticeable except to a few that notice, and hopefully not permanent; but will save money.

I remember when American Airlines in the 1980s (I believe) announced that they were changing their onboard salad to have one olive instead of two.  They were laughed at; but they replied that they made millions of salads a year so the costs of those olives do add up.

Just my two southern sense,

Marc

Who knows what is going to happen and how things will change. All we know is that things will change dramatically. All the more reason IMHO to take the cash refund and see how things shake out. I watched Jason’s video and very little detail was provided for What the experience might be. I also thought he had this smirk on his face the entire time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Watched Jason's video and started thinking about what Regent will look like in the future.  One thing I am positive about is that there needs to be cost cutting.  Over spending is what led to FdR's firing from Renaissance and I am sure he is trying not to repeat same error here.  I think little things that hopefully most won't notice could be done to save costs.  I think Pastry Chef will lose one assistant which might lead to small changes like no more 14 layer cake or fewer specialty teas.  I think F&B's wings will be clipped a bit so their local liquor buys are for necessities only instead of the wonderful local purchases that the F&B (especially Ricky) have doing in last few years.  I think liquor choices could be knocked down a notch; even if it only saves a $1 per bottle at 20,000 bottles per month that adds up.  I am fearful of changing from live to silk flower arrangements in public spaces might happen; you might be able to save one staff just my getting rid of flowers let alone the cost of the flowers.

All small, hopefully not noticeable except to a few that notice, and hopefully not permanent; but will save money.

I remember when American Airlines in the 1980s (I believe) announced that they were changing their onboard salad to have one olive instead of two.  They were laughed at; but they replied that they made millions of salads a year so the costs of those olives do add up.

Marc

As you know, we strongly disagree about FDR so I'll address other issues.  It is likely that staff will be cut IF ships are running half full but I do not feel that Regent would risk its reputation by decreasing service or the quality of food or beverages (I would not be happy if Patron tequila were removed from the included list, for example).  They are depending on returning cruisers right now and we would notice any cutbacks..  I had a chuckle about the 14 layer cake.  I order half of it for dessert and get 7 layers.  It is a popular item and is likely to stay.  

Getting lovely silk flowers could solve two issues ...... having to pay for fresh flowers and the fact that some guests are allergic to the flowers in public spaces.  In the upper suites (not sure about the rest of the suites), they have orchids that last quite a while.  And, I remember flowering plants that were on the tables on CR that looked like asparagus with small flowers coming out of them.  They also lasted a long time.  Risky used to fill the vases with sparking water in order to keep them fresh longer.  I tried it at home and it definitely extends the life of the flowers.  

For myself, I will be more cognizant of what I order.  In other words, I don't care for coutons in my Caesar salad so I'll ask for it without them.  I could do the same for other items that come on the plate that go to waste.   With there buffets closed, there will be less people that have eyes bigger than their stomach.  I cannot imagine how much food is wasted there (either by people taking too much and leaving it or having it out on the buffet for too long after which time it has to be removed and dumped).

So, IMO, there are some easy ways for passengers to help stop waste (if they choose to).  And, I just thought of the fact that more members may be needed to serve in La Veranda and the Coffee Connection since there will be no buffet.

4 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Marc

I think the jist of this post could make for some good conversations/suggestions. I can't say I agree with some of your thoughts on cost cutting, but many of us could add things that could possibly be trimmed.

For the most part, I hope they do not change their liquor selections as part of the fun is in trying that "new" vodka or a specialty after dinner drink that I might not be familiar with. I also appreciate the nice wine selections.

I know that folks sometimes have trouble with fresh flowers, but I personally love them. Fake ones would remind me of MSC...

Perhaps toiletry brands could be changed to something good, but not as pricey as L"Occitane. A lot of people bring their own anyway.

OH....and here's a big one.....cut down on the continual mailings. Send us the "Bible" and only the flyers that indicate some sort of change (itinerary, ship, price, etc.) We just received one that was basically worthless, as most of the cruises had already been canceled. I know they need to prepare these things in advance, but a little more careful scrutiny might be in order to save some $.

Several years ago there was outrage on the Crystal board when they took the doily out of the trash cans in the cabins and did away with turn down chocolates, offering instead, a small box of quality treats. Apparently,  much like the AA olives, it saved a bunch. We didn't mind a bit......

Anybody else have some ideas?

• Like 1

I just read on the other thread that Regent may come up with some luxury style cruising offers. Smaller ships, more descent cabins and short but wonderful routes. Not sure about how true this information is, but there certainly be some kind of luxury offer for those who are afraid of travelling with bunch of people near them 

7 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I just read on the other thread that Regent may come up with some luxury style cruising offers. Smaller ships, more descent cabins and short but wonderful routes. Not sure about how true this information is, but there certainly be some kind of luxury offer for those who are afraid of travelling with bunch of people near them 

Roger. you have proven you can't spell but you haven't said whether you have been on Regent or any other cruise ships.  Your post is totally nonsense.

Marc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

What is “the other thread”??

I am also interested if you ever cruised on a Regent ship? If so, which ship and when?

I will be happy to share my experiences with you. 

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

Just saw American Cruise Lines draft procedures that they have provided to the City and Borough of Juneau in order to get approval to cruise in Alaska this summer (max 249 onboard so they are under the Canadian limit).  I can't find direct link to pdf but you can go to this site and click on bottom link and pdf will download.

https://packet.cbjak.org/CoverSheet.aspx?ItemID=8459&MeetingID=1318

Really interesting; especially the plan to set up dining in a lounge in order to facilitate social distancing during meal times.  I wonder if Regent can do the same thing or if they can use the other half of La Verandah as a Compass Rose Annex.

Regardless, interesting read from ACL.

Marc

WOW! Looks like little ACL has covered all the bases and then some. It will be interesting to see if the CDC likes their proposals. I don't really know what more could be possibly done.....other than a continued no sail order. I wish them well. We'll all be watching.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

ust saw American Cruise Lines draft procedures that they have provided to the City and Borough of Juneau in order to get approval to cruise in Alaska this summer (max 249 onboard so they are under the Canadian limit).

That limit was reduced to not allowing ships with over 12 people so hopefully these ships are US flagged and stay in Alaska.    See article in link below

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/Canada-Will-Now-Ban-All-Cruise-Ships-from-Ports-Until-July-1

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Just saw American Cruise Lines draft procedures that they have provided to the City and Borough of Juneau in order to get approval to cruise in Alaska this summer (max 249 onboard so they are under the Canadian limit).  I can't find direct link to pdf but you can go to this site and click on bottom link and pdf will download.

https://packet.cbjak.org/CoverSheet.aspx?ItemID=8459&MeetingID=1318

Really interesting; especially the plan to set up dining in a lounge in order to facilitate social distancing during meal times.  I wonder if Regent can do the same thing or if they can use the other half of La Verandah as a Compass Rose Annex.

Regardless, interesting read from ACL.

Marc

Crew members must stay in their cabins when not on duty????  Wow. 

18 minutes ago, Sailor Sam 407 said:

Just announced by the Canadian Government. Cruise ships with over 100 passengers and crew will be prohibited from Canadian waters until at least October 31. 

Source please; cannot find on CBC or Vancouver Sun.

edited to add:  Found on Canadian government site:

The Government of Canada continues to monitor the evolution of the COVID-19 pandemic and the impacts it is having on the marine and tourism sectors. Keeping Canadians and transportation workers safe during the COVID-19 pandemic is Transport Canada’s top priority.

Today, the Minister of Transport, the Honourable Marc Garneau, announced updated measures pertaining to cruise ships and passenger vessels in Canadian waters.
  • Cruise ships with overnight accommodations allowed to carry more than 100 persons are prohibited from operating in Canadian waters until October 31, 2020.
  • As of July 1, 2020, all other passenger vessels must follow provincial, territorial, local and regional health authority requirements for timelines and processes to resume operations.

Passenger vessels with the capacity to carry more than 12 persons continue to be prohibited from entering Arctic coastal waters (including Nunatsiavut, Nunavik and the Labrador Coast) until October 31, 2020.

Beginning July 1, 2020, passenger vessels will be allowed to operate in inland rivers and lakes in the Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon.

Essential passenger vessels, such as ferries and water taxis, should continue to operate using mitigation measures. These could include reducing the number of passengers or using alternative practices such as keeping people in their vehicles, when safe to do so, or enhanced cleaning and hygiene measures to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19.

Edited by mrlevin

46 minutes ago, Sailor Sam 407 said:

Just announced by the Canadian Government. Cruise ships with over 100 passengers and crew will be prohibited from Canadian waters until at least October 31. 

Thanks.  I posted this on the other thread about 2020 sailings also.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-canada/canada-extends-ban-on-large-cruise-ships-until-oct-31-transport-minister-idUSKBN23522Y?il=0

• 2 weeks later...

I was day dreaming about my next Regent cruise when a terrible thought hit me; deck bbq are probably a thing of the past.  We have had so many great memories at deck bbq and dance parties.  Our first was sitting with Giuseppe and Gerlinda on the Diamond.  The second, although not a bbq, was a formal dance on Voyager as she transited Panama Canal on New Year's Eve.  We have so many great bbq many with local entertainment while others with the orchestra or combo.

This will be one of those things that I hope can return at some point (along with Country Fair).

Marc

21 hours ago, mrlevin said:

I was day dreaming about my next Regent cruise when a terrible thought hit me; deck bbq are probably a thing of the past.  We have had so many great memories at deck bbq and dance parties.  Our first was sitting with Giuseppe and Gerlinda on the Diamond.  The second, although not a bbq, was a formal dance on Voyager as she transited Panama Canal on New Year's Eve.  We have so many great bbq many with local entertainment while others with the orchestra or combo.

This will be one of those things that I hope can return at some point (along with Country Fair).

Marc

I do think that both the barbecues and County Fair will return when the pandemic is over.  I wonder if they could do a barbecue and have the items available (ordering from a special menu) and have it served in a few dining venues (leaving CR for people that prefer to dine from their normal menu).  Not sure about dancing or how Regent plans on controlling the number of guests that can be in each lounge and/or the pool deck since they cannot permit crowds.

21 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I can live without the Country Fair.  I know they're very popular, but never liked it.

Deck bbq's and al fresco buffets generally I will sorely miss!

Deck bbq's we know, but what is a Country Fair?