Italy will stay closed to tourists till the end of 2020...

TroubleT

9 minutes ago, TroubleT said:

Italy will stay closed to tourists till the end of 2020. Spain will follow. France will do the same.... 

We already know it well: No cruising (Europe/TA) till April 2021 at best...

https://nation.com.pk/26-Apr-2020/italy-to-remain-closed-for-tourism-until-end-of-year

At least we know.  Caribbean will be interesting to see how they react.  At least there are private islands or private areas that the cruise lines may be able to work out some itineraries.  I also think short cruises may work best at first.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TroubleT said:

Italy will stay closed to tourists till the end of 2020. Spain will follow. France will do the same.... 

https://nation.com.pk/26-Apr-2020/italy-to-remain-closed-for-tourism-until-end-of-year

We've been holding off cancelling our cancelled cruise post-cruise plans for time in the Bordeaux/Dordogne regions and Paris in early September. I was looking at the UA website yesterday to see what options might be available if we could transfer our ff flights to CDG instead of CPH and available flights to Paris were numerous, which gave me hope we could still visit France.

Awaiting an official announcement from the French government - preferably sooner rather than later.

We still don't know about closure of Italian borders for a fact.  At least I can find no official announcement, as yet. Minister said "The opening of the borders will depend on the epidemiological situation and the policies of each individual state,”  Like poster above we're awaiting an official announcement from the Italian government , preferably sooner than later.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SingBill said:

Confusing. The article says the borders may be closed but museums and attractions may resume in a May   

That's not confusing.  The borders are closed but people living in Italy will be able to resume some normal activities.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TroubleT said:

Yes.

The reality about fall TAs has been out there for a while, but there's a core of cruisers who just refuse to see it. The cancelation of Oktoberfest was the most recent tipoff.

People everywhere are sick of the virus,

the shutdowns, the distancing, the masks,

all of it. However, this is about science: And biology simply doesn't care about how any of us feel, what we want, how the economy is hurting or when we'd like to take a relaxing 10-day repositioner. Science doesn't care about any of that ... which is why cruising remains shut for the foreseeable future.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Time for a cruise to nowhere and repeal the Jones Act?

I doubt that the US government would be inclined to repeal (or temporarily suspend)  the Jones Act to help the cruise industry right now. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

That's not confusing.  The borders are closed but people living in Italy will be able to resume some normal activities.

Correct. The country needs to start to test phased openings to determine if things can start to get back to normal. Don't want to open the country up to visitors until you know you can handle things with the native population first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TroubleT said:

I had guessed about a month ago that we wouldn't see cruising start again until the full Caribbean season starts this November so this does not surprise me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rubens said:

I cannot read anything about Spain and France. Why are you so sure?

I understand that we all absolutely need "to read" about it. And I am not sure... It's just my wild guess... Italy will stay closed, but Spain (with its numbers) will welcome tourists from all over the world. Seriously? It's a chain reaction. Like many of us I still have a couple of cruises booked and would love to jump on that ship, but it's not going to happen this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SingBill said:

Confusing. The article says the borders may be closed but museums and attractions may resume in a May   

How is some museums opening like Pompeii and the Colosseum confusing?  Places where social distancing possible will open first. Duh.

They also will open first to Italians.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

I doubt that the US government would be inclined to repeal (or temporarily suspend)  the Jones Act to help the cruise industry right now. 

It is not the Jones Act.  It is the PVSA Act.  Jones Act is about Cargo Vessels and PVSA is about Passenger Vessels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Vessel_Services_Act_of_1886

Edited by RICCruisers
Added Link

3 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

It is not the Jones Act.  It is the PVSA Act.  Jones Act is about Cargo Vessels and PVSA is about Passenger Vessels.

Thank you for that clarification.  I don't think my opinion about the US government's willingness to suspend it will change.

That’s like here in AK. We aren’t supposed to travel out of state, but we are now allowed to go camping around the state via car. Anyone entering our state has to do a 14 day quarantine. They’re testing the waters. It makes sense to do before fully opening up to visitors. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SingBill said:

They do have residents that also visit museums and attractions

3 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

The reality about fall TAs has been out there for a while, but there's a core of cruisers who just refuse to see it.

It's astonishing, isn't it, how many people think there will be cruises in the not-too-distant future?  We've long been booked on a fall TA out of Italy, with port calls in other hard-hit countries, including France and Spain, and we've been thinking for some time that it will not be a go.  I can't imagine making final payment (early July) even if the cruise line hasn't cancelled the cruise.   Yet there are folks who think they will be going on this cruise. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

It's astonishing, isn't it, how many people think there will be cruises in the not-too-distant future?  We've long been booked on a fall TA out of Italy, with port calls in other hard-hit countries, including France and Spain, and we've been thinking for some time that it will not be a go.  I can't imagine making final payment (early July) even if the cruise line hasn't cancelled the cruise.   Yet there are folks who think they will be going on this cruise. 

I’m not sure anyone thinks they are still going on a cruise to countries that have announced they are closed to tourists through 2020 are there. ? 

3 hours ago, SingBill said:

I wish I knew how to delete this post but I don’t. If anyone can politely tell me how to I will

• Haha 1

Who wants to go on a cruise wearing a mask? Who wants to walk around Europe or anywhere else with many attractions possibly closed (and wearing a mask). Who wants to fly 12 hours in a mask? I don't.😱

Think I will wait for a vaccine or effective virus medication before I think of traveling to Europe or going on a cruise again.

Just now, yorky said:

I’m not sure anyone thinks they are still going on a cruise to countries that have announced they are closed to tourists through 2020 are there. ? 

It's not an official announcement yet, as far as I can tell from that article.

In any event, it really doesn't take an announcement to conclude that cruises this fall, especially involving hard-hit countries, aren't in the cards.  I wish I were wrong, but there is very little chance there will be a safe and effective vaccine by then, let alone one that has been widely available.   And given how badly the U.S. has been hit, why do we even think other countries will allow Americans to enter freely? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1