Will you continue to book inside cabins post pandemic?

HAL is offering some people "Free" inside cabins for sailings this November and beyond (if you book by June 5th)  The sailings are mostly round trips from San Diego or Fort Lauderdale on 7 day trips.  

I have heard that some people who normally book inside, might no longer do so post pandemic, for fear of becoming stuck in an inside during a future quarantine situation.  

I think that anyone fearful of cruising once things get going again won't cruise at all regardless of cabin.   I think that once people feel comfortable cruising they will return to their traditional cabin choice.

What say  you?

Although I have booked outside and balcony cabins a few times, I primarily book inside cabins. My next scheduled cruise (which I plan to cancel due to the corona virus) is a balcony cabin, but the one after that (which I am fairly confident of taking as of now) is back to my favorite inside on that ship. 
I'm not really concerned about being 'trapped' in an inside cabin, unable to get out due to a quarantine, since I don't plan to cruise unless it seems safe to do so. 

• Like 6

I have always booked inside and will continue to do so. Easy for sleeping, MUCH cheaper and I get sick in rougher seas. Being inside in the middle helps. Not looking to sail real soon, tho.

I probably will. I am not a "dyed in the wool" inside cabin lover -- I prefer an ocean view -- but for some itineraries an inside is fine. I don't need a balcony.

Until good policies are in place regarding what happens in the event of COVID-19 aboard ship, I likely will not be cruising anyway -- but in the event of the worst happening, I feel I have the resources to withstand a quarantine in an inside cabin.

Certainly.

24/7 room service with food & beverages, endless availabilities of books, movies & pillow chocolates. 
One only needs a hand held UV light for Vitamin D conversion.

Needless to say, the movie “The Shining” should not be available if isolated (“here’s Johnny”...).

Be well.

Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I am travelling solo I wouldn't mind staying in an inside cabin. However, if I was going with someone I would probably upgrade to avoid sharing such a small space for an extended period of time.

• Like 1

I plan to prod my DH to book with balcony from now on. We had switched to inside cabins to save money and afford b2b's, but the older we get, I want a balcony rather than save for future trips that might not be possible due to health problems. And truthfully, no matter how hard i tried, I just missed the amazing view of the water while still in PJ's. Also, having a balcony would change quarantine experience drastically for both of us.

Edited by Etta1213
  • Like 1

The last time I booked an inside cabin was in 2014, promenade interior window on RCCL, followed by Celebrity, where we upgraded last minute to OV.  We have a budget of $200 per week, per upgrade, so booking an interior cabin is still entirely possible.  I won't cruise until this pandemic is over.  I would cancel all upcoming cruises if a SARS Covid-3, or something else nasty, starts breaking out.

When we started cruising, it was only insides due to cost.  In 2014, after booking a guarantee inside last minute and then taking an upsell for just $50 for a balcony guarantee ($549 for 7 nights) we were assigned a deep-balcony aft and I haven't turned back.

Husband and I were on Eurodam last fall and had a Lido Cabana, and we talked about how nice this was and that perhaps we'd consider booking an ocean view and just getting a cabana for our 'outside' time, but after this pandemic we've decided that we will now only book balcony or better.

If I have to get restricted to my stateroom, I want the ability to step outside and get fresh air when I want, not when it is my 'turn' to walk around the deck.

• Like 1

I booked an inside on the 2020GWV because it was all I could afford as a solo.  I had worried because I am slightly claustrophobic; however, since I was on the lower promenade and could always find a door from which to look outside, it was not as much of a problem as I had anticipated.  I have to admit, though, once I started reading about passengers quarantined in inside cabins, I definitely had the heebeejeebies.  Bottom line for me, my Future Cruise request for 2022 is a D or C on lower promenade.

I have booked inside cabin guarantees and will probably continue to do so. I book far in advance and have yet to sail in an inside. I always get an upgrade, and many times there are are reasonable upsells as well. I cruise solo, so I am already paying a single supplement, so I try to stretch my money as far as possible. 

• Like 3

In 17 cruises only booked an inside once . This was done due to being a Sunday standing on Castle island watching a HA ship sail by.  We decided to try and book the next cruise HA  leaving  that Friday doing Canada & bring us home to Boston .Only 1 room remained an INSIDE. I was a little apprehensive. We both had the best most restful sleeping . However after the recent quarantines on cruise ships I'll never book an inside again .  

We have never booked an inside cabin and have no intention of ever doing so.  However, my recent 5-day quarantine in a balcony cabin during our four days in Antarctica made me realize that the itinerary should be a major consideration in whether to choose an inside or balcony because of the possibility of become ill with anything which requires quarantine.  Had we missed seeing Antarctica because of being in an inside room, I would have been a most unhappy camper.  

Since I tend to cruise solo, inside cabins are what makes it affordable.  I try to book the larger insides on HAL.  If it's safe enough to cruise, I wouldn't have any hesitation about booking an inside cabin.

I'll say this.  There are insides and there are insides.  I had a 125 sq. ft. tuna can on the Noordam,  and it took away from an otherwise delightful 10-day cruise to the Southern Caribbean.  Never again. 

• Like 1

We book inside cabins because they have showers, not bath tubs. I understand the newest class of ships has showers in more cabin classes but we need a ship with teak deck chairs as well. We won’t be cruising until the pandemic is over.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

18 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

HAL is offering some people "Free" inside cabins for sailings this November and beyond (if you book by June 5th)  The sailings are mostly round trips from San Diego or Fort Lauderdale on 7 day trips.  

I have heard that some people who normally book inside, might no longer do so post pandemic, for fear of becoming stuck in an inside during a future quarantine situation.  

I think that anyone fearful of cruising once things get going again won't cruise at all regardless of cabin.   I think that once people feel comfortable cruising they will return to their traditional cabin choice.

What say  you?

We will continue to usually book inside.

I don't belive the pandemic will change my cabin-choices. 

I'm a typically solo-cruiser and I won't hesitate to continue to book inside cabins when traveling solo, although I'm always willing to book a higher-level with a great deal or a reduced single-supplement. When traveling with others, I prefer a balcony and will continue to book that. 

5 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

We have never booked an inside cabin and have no intention of ever doing so.  However, my recent 5-day quarantine in a balcony cabin during our four days in Antarctica made me realize that the itinerary should be a major consideration in whether to choose an inside or balcony because of the possibility of become ill with anything which requires quarantine.  Had we missed seeing Antarctica because of being in an inside room, I would have been a most unhappy camper.  

This is exactly why I consider the itinerary. I read a blog by a young lady Some years ago who got quarantined on an Antarctica cruise, precisely at the time when they were in Antarctica. All she saw was the bow camera view.😥

As a solo, an inside generally fits my needs and budget. I save the $$ for when DH can join me.
If I cruise in the future I will continue to weigh the risks, and likely pack a puzzle along with the usual loaded kindle and a needle work project, just in case. My cruising future depends more on what happens with this pandemic and what is left of the cruise industry. If it is only huge ships (such as Nieuw Amsterdam and Kingkongdam and sisters,), I won’t be stepping on the gangway.

I may find after the dust clears it just the Alaska Marine Hwy I’m willing to sail.

I am thinking of upgrading to a balcony, using the FCC form HAL to pay for the difference.  Not because of pandemic fear but because I would guess that the cruise lines are going to be stricter about quarantining folks who have coughs or sneezes.  On a cruise I inevitably get a cough for part of the trip.  If I need to be in my room for a few days I would rather have access to outside and if we are cruising scenic areas, i definitely want to be able to not lose the experience.  

• Thanks 1

We almost always book a "regular" balcony, occasionally a suite.  But I've been wondering - if cruise ships are going to be required to have space onboard to quarantine passengers, and if they are required to spread out crew quarters, if they would take inside cabins (at least on the lower decks) for that purpose.  That would greatly diminish the number of insides for passengers.  And maybe even some of the ocean views on the lower decks.