Canada issuing moratorium on cruise ships until October 31st, 2020

kazu

19 minutes ago, JanDom said:

I think it would have been a good start for having tourists again to try with the few cruise ships have been left for Canada sailings.
I thinks most cruises for Alaska and Canada had been already cancelled.
Maybe they should have tried with these little number of ships what will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the citizens of Vancouver might disagree with this.

I don’t see what Canada is doing any different from what the EU countries have done.  They too closed their borders and refused cruise ships.  While some of them have begun to re-open or prepare to re-open their borders only certain countries who have met certain health criteria are permitted entry.  The list is quite limited.

• Like 1

I believe that the Government made a wise decision.  They consulted with public health care professionals and followed their advice.  That advice, plus the covid statistics are the only logical way for them to reach the best decisions that they can given the data at hand.

There has been a great deal of public support in Canada for the leadership of  the various levels of Government who are acting in this manner. 

Clearly it is not good for the economy.  Opening too early could lead to a much larger problem and to an overall  crisis in confidence.   The flip side to this is looking at the results from other jurisdictions that have not been as vigilant or as proactive in putting in place measures to combat covid.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 4

What concerns me is the fairly widespread attitude that the virus' threat has past.  It has not.  The virus remains in the community, remains highly contagious, and remains lethal for too many of the people who are infected. 😞

I support our country's decision to refuse cruise ships.  

• Like 12

On 5/30/2020 at 11:03 AM, Lazy Lakes said:

My source is from the ministry of tourism in Australia. I was trying to be political correct by saying to get your house in order in other words get your sh   together as the official told me. 

Thank you for providing your source.  The article you posted doesn't mention the US, but it does outline Australia's policies, i.e. banning outbound international travel, and the 14 day quarantine for those returning to Australia from anywhere in the world.   I wish your official had given some specifics so we aren't left wondering what he meant.   

I have an Aussie friend (now a US citizen)  who's booked on a spring 2021 Australia cruise. He hasn't been back there in many years, and has plans to see family.  It's just under a year before he's due to go, and hopefully cruise travel in Australia will reopen by then.     

Edited by Boatdrill

12 hours ago, iancal said:

Opening too early could lead to a much larger problem and to an overall  crisis in confidence.   The flip side to this is looking at the results from other jurisdictions that have not been as vigilant or as proactive in putting in place measures to combat covid.

Agree. We learn from each other and are free to do what is best for us. 

Edited by Boatdrill

On 5/29/2020 at 10:27 AM, KirkNC said:

Nice to see a government making the tough choices to protect it’s citizens.

No tough decision at all. Just political grandstanding. No cruise lines were ever going to sail from the US to Canada for the remainder of 2020 when this decision was made.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

No tough decision at all. Just political grandstanding. No cruise lines were ever going to sail from the US to Canada for the remainder of 2020 when this decision was made.

Bolding is mine.   There were still HAL cruises scheduled to sail out of Vancouver (at least) for different itineraries and a number of cruise lines were still scheduled to visit Vancouver and Maritime ports.  Whether those cruises would have happened is now a moot point with this decision.

• Like 2

I think the citizens of Vancouver might disagree with this.

I don’t see what Canada is doing any different from what the EU countries have done.  They too closed their borders and refused cruise ships.  While some of them have begun to re-open or prepare to re-open their borders only certain countries who have met certain health criteria are permitted entry.  The list is quite limited.

In Europe almost all country’s with tourism are open or will open soon. In the beginning of June hotels will be reopen everywhere.
In Germany all hotels are Open Right now and the borders are open for more then two weeks now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Himself said:

I am of the opinion that this is an overreaction. 

Oh really?  And what exactly makes you think that?  May I remind you that you live in a country that is breaking all records with deaths from the virus.  Right next door to us, whereas we are dealing with it pretty well.  Thanks to border closures.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Himself said:

I am of the opinion that this is an overreaction. 

You are, I know, disappointed about not getting to Alaska this season.  So that may be influencing your opinion. 

I am also disappointed about our cancelled 14 day RT Alaska cruise that would have ended in Vancouver today. 

However, our personal disappointments can't be more important than keeping the most vulnerable among us as safe as possible.   I continue to support our government's decision on cruise ships.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Lido - Lanai said:

Population of Canada = 37 mil - Population of U.S. = 336 mil ..... with both being approx same geographical size..... hardly a fair comparison......   

How about cases and deaths/Million? Would that be a fair comparison?

Canada 2411/193

US        5,561/321

As for cases, I always basically think that Canada should be 1/10 of the US for whatever is being discussed. So for cases:

Canada 90 947

US        1 839 698

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR0F8oduV4ee5Zej-8BLrG-WIJ-_kkY9pJOO4RJfSU72WjqMP4XOA0auEgo

I support our government's decision. I'm disappointed, but there is still a ways to go. The cruise lines are going to need to have a really good plan to keep the passengers and people at the ports safe.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Everyone has an opinion.  

From my perspective the only opinion  that really counts if from the people with the knowledge and the experience to make an INFORMED opinion.

Those would be from  public health care professionals.  Not would be cruisers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

Oh really?  And what exactly makes you think that?  May I remind you that you live in a country that is breaking all records with deaths from the virus.  Right next door to us, whereas we are dealing with it pretty well.  Thanks to border closures.

So what?  Have we forgotten what country is actually responsible for this?  China!  COVID is the fault of neither of us.   This cross-border finger-pointing crap is getting really old.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

@Lido - Lanai so much of Canada's land area is uninhabited, it may be very difficult to find the information you feel is "apples to apples".  Perhaps instead you could look for and find US cities and Canadian cities with similar populations and find the population density for each.  That might give you a comparison you would consider acceptable.

2 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

How about cases and deaths/Million? Would that be a fair comparison?

Canada 2411/193

US        5,561/321

As for cases, I always basically think that Canada should be 1/10 of the US for whatever is being discussed. So for cases:

Canada 90 947

US        1 839 698

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR0F8oduV4ee5Zej-8BLrG-WIJ-_kkY9pJOO4RJfSU72WjqMP4XOA0auEgo

I support our government's decision. I'm disappointed, but there is still a ways to go. The cruise lines are going to need to have a really good plan to keep the passengers and people at the ports safe.

Had New York and New Jersey sheltered in place when the nine bay area counties of California did, the US death toll would have been much lower and the US totals would have been lower.  The science is constantly changing because they learn more.

I have a booking for next year our of Vancouver, I hope I can go but I won't go if its not safe, nor will the cruise line get my FCC or anymore money until I am sure its happening for me, and of course Canada has to make a decision sometime in early 2021 about the spring sailings.

We need herd immunity and vaccines.

A-

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lido - Lanai said:

It very well might... but not worth my time and effort.... I wasn't the one standing on my soapbox waving the Canadian flag.

As the OP, I started this thread to inform people.   No need to criticize Canada or Canadians for what many believe to be a thoughtful decision based on science.

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, kazu said:

As the OP, I started this thread to inform people.   No need to criticize Canada or Canadians for what many believe to be a thoughtful decision based on science.

Yet your prolific criticism of the US throughout all this has been ok. 🙄

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1