Canada issuing moratorium on cruise ships until October 31st, 2020

kazu

5 hours ago, kazu said:

The Prime Minister does regular updates and the money seems to keep flowing for those that need assistance.  I suspect there will be some kind of plan for the tourism industry.

Tourism has suffered world wide.

No quibble with your last sentence.  The loss of jobs in the hospitality and leisure industry in the United States is staggering when one looks at the percentages and realize that there are real people/families behind those numbers.  

I hope that your Prime Minister will have some specific plan for the Canadian tourism industry.  Other than the airlines headquartered in the United States, I am much less hopeful for such a plan.    

• Like 1

Was told today that if the USA goverment does not get it house in order with this virus, other ports won't allow US passengers and ships coming from the USA into their country.

We as Canadians can't go into the USA, there are to many hot spots in NY.

Was planning to go out of San Diego to do a 63 day cruise but Hal cruise consultant told me he is surprised  if they sail by then. As all final payments have been moved till later.

The World cruise is an other in doubt, it is going to Brazil look what is going on there. And then to Asia.

11 minutes ago, Lazy Lakes said:

Was told today that if the USA goverment does not get it house in order with this virus, other ports won't allow US passengers and ships coming from the USA into their country.

We as Canadians can't go into the USA, there are to many hot spots in NY.

Was planning to go out of San Diego to do a 63 day cruise but Hal cruise consultant told me he is surprised  if they sail by then. As all final payments have been moved till later.

The World cruise is an other in doubt, it is going to Brazil look what is going on there. And then to Asia.

I agree. What cruise/time line is the one from San Diego. We're scheduled for February, and I honestly don't think that we will be on the ship. 😢

18 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

No quibble with your last sentence.  The loss of jobs in the hospitality and leisure industry in the United States is staggering when one looks at the percentages and realize that there are real people/families behind those numbers.  

I hope that your Prime Minister will have some specific plan for the Canadian tourism industry.  Other than the airlines headquartered in the United States, I am much less hopeful for such a plan.    

There is no question that this will affect a number of port towns/cities (I live close to one) in a major way and the tourism industry but most that I know have accepted this and are in agreement as health is first.  Help is being provided

There have been a number of incentives put in place to support business and those without employment.  Whether I like or dislike our Prime Minister, he and the other parties have come together to try to help those affected and deal with the threats to health.  I give full credit to all the parties in our Province and Federal Government for coming together and working on this for the sake of the country and their people.

Their help has been pretty quick and efficient from what has been reported and they are constantly adding depending on how things develop.  

Canada will stand strong and united 🇨🇦 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Not surprised at all.  Our provincial, and federal health ministers and Our Prime Minister follows the science.  It is about stopping the transmission of the virus, not about the bottom line.  It’s a tough decision but a correct decision.  There is no price for human life.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lazy Lakes said:

Was told today that if the USA government does not get its house in order with this virus, other ports won't allow US passengers and ships coming from the USA into their country.

Source ?  And what exactly does "get its house in order" mean ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There's few medical resources if this illness takes hold in the remote ports cruise lines visit. 

Cruise line 'benefits' to communities were in question before covid-19 (Venice politicians famously stated we cruisers might buy a magnet or two; were skimping on local dining, etc.).

Let sovereignty decide. Duly elected government made a decision. Very sorry to hear, but having been to both coasts (by car and, later by cruise line) - I see the point of this summer's ban. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

Hopefully the poster will confirm the source. However an example is my home country UK.

Both Greece and Spain are opening to international travellers mid June.

It is however a selective list and the UK is excluded as we do not meet the requirements for entry. In other words we have not got our infection rates sufficiently low enough. In their view we haven’t got “our house in order”.

Telegraph UK

Note this is an example and in no way a comment on the situation in the USA and how other countries may view it.

• Like 1

I think with every thing going on in the world cruising any were in the world this summer/fall will be a big question mark. Cruising as we knew it will take awhile before things are back to normal. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, kazu said:

According to CBC news, the Minister will be announcing shortly that the July 1st closure of Canada’s ports will be extended until October 31st.  Once it’s available in a link, I will post it.

While HAL has cancelled Canada sailings there are still some sailings with different itineraries (mostly out of Vancouver, I believe) that will be impacted.

Thank you Kazu for the information.

10 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

I don’t know where the OP of info got their data but from where I sit our house is not only not in order, it is collapsing.  Look at this page if you have questions about why another country may not want any US citizens to visit:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

Getting one's 'house in order' will require having a good understanding of where the presence of COVID-19 is and having adequate procedures in place limit its spread. Until there is a full understanding of the presence of COVID-19 in the population, it is going to be difficult to move toward a 'new-normal'.

Here in Alberta anyone who wants to be tested for COVID-19 can be, regardless of whether they have symptoms. There is no limit on the number of times people can be tested. The tests are free.

In addition, although wearing a mask in public is not mandatory - it is recommended when a two-metre distance cannot be maintained - such as public transit.

As such, the Alberta government is providing all residents with four three-layer non-medical face masks. They have partnered with A&W, McDonald's and Tim Hortons to distribute the masks at the restaurants' drive-thru locations. This distribution method is expected to reach 95 per cent of Albertans, with the province using other methods to get the masks to the remaining five per cent. 

• Like 1

Canada may be one of the first countries to ban cruise ships through to the late fall but  I have no doubt that other countries are in the process of considering similar bans.    Their  Governments will be following the advice of their respective  public health professionals.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

As such, the Alberta government is providing all residents with four three-layer non-medical face masks. They have partnered with A&W, McDonald's and Tim Hortons to distribute the masks at the restaurants' drive-thru locations. This distribution method is expected to reach 95 per cent of Albertans, with the province using other methods to get the masks to the remaining five per cent. 

Well done, Jason Kenney. Well done Alberta.

Edited by HappyInVan

1 hour ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

Here in Alberta anyone who wants to be tested for COVID-19 can be, regardless of whether they have symptoms. There is no limit on the number of times people can be tested. The tests are free.

In addition, although wearing a mask in public is not mandatory - it is recommended when a two-metre distance cannot be maintained - such as public transit.

In our state, the counties are able to decide what works best for them. Where I live,  anyone who wants a test can have one, after making an appointment. They are free. 

Wearing a mask in public is mandatory. Beaches, parks, businesses are reopening. Restaurants are reopening for dine-in business, however, a successful local restaurant announced they will not be able to reopen because the social distancing requirements will be impossible to meet at their location.

This county has its house in order as required by the state, and people are able to return to work, at last.

• Like 2

The challenge is not with areas or regions of a country that are doing a good job.  The challenge lies with those areas that have done a poor job or currently doing a poor job of managing through this issue. .   Placing politics and self interest ahead of sound public health policy.

Where we live we have areas that are doing an excellent job of managing covid  and others less than excellent. 

I hardly think that other nations will say you can enter our country if you are from this area in the country, but not if you are from this area that is doing a poor job or nothing at all.    Far too much co-mingling to take that chance.

Edited by iancal

On 5/29/2020 at 7:31 AM, VMax1700 said:

HAL have quite a few departures listed for September/October from Vancouver to Hawaii, Sea of Cortez, Japan.  I suppose that they have time to reschedule the embarkation port to Seattle or San Diego or LA, if they are going to run them.

There goes our Hawaii cruise on the Westerdam in September.  Guess we won't make the next payment due.

Edited by JeffElizabeth

My source is from the ministry of tourism in Australia. I was trying to be political correct by saying to get your house in order in other words get your sh   together as the official told me. 

Also in an earlier post that Hawaii is closed till 2021.

Australia’s Tourism Minister warns international travel may be on hold until 2021

Seychelles is closed till 2022 for cruise ships.

The cruise I booked out of San Diego on the Maasdam  in October to Australia  might not happen unless there is a change in plans by the places we are suppose to visit on this 63 day cruise.

Glad the sun will rise tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Boatdrill said:

In our state, the counties are able to decide what works best for them. Where I live,  anyone who wants a test can have one, after making an appointment. They are free. 

Wearing a mask in public is mandatory. Beaches, parks, businesses are reopening. Restaurants are reopening for dine-in business, however, a successful local restaurant announced they will not be able to reopen because the social distancing requirements will be impossible to meet at their location.

This county has its house in order as required by the state, and people are able to return to work, at last.

This sounds familiar. 

I feel exceptionally blessed to live where I do. I feel safe and have been quite pleased with how our state and local government have responded.

We too have freely available testing for anyone, free face masks, contact tracing, and our state and city officials give every stat from new and recovered cases, hospitalizations, fatalities, demographics and zip code of those infected, hot spot locations, total numbers tested, etc every single day and have for months now. Face masks and social distancing are encouraged and required of businesses and all government buildings. They have followed up on violation reports and work to educate. 

Our city and state officials (from the two political parties too)  have worked hand in hand and I am very proud of how our state has come together, complied, and performed in all this. Our governor listened and helped our mayor. Our mayor has been responsive to businesses and has augmented policy to reflect the most recent data. Our hospitals were prepared, our medical professionals have gone above and beyond to keep us safe and have been part of the state and local policy making teams from the beginning.

I personally think we have done very well. We are slowly reopening, rural areas are more open with our urban areas opening more slowly to allow our health departments to keep a handle on any hot spots that might arise. Folks are cautiously venturing out while we are working to protect our most vulnerable. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iancal said:

Canada may be one of the first countries to ban cruise ships through to the late fall but  I have no doubt that other countries are in the process of considering similar bans.    Their  Governments will be following the advice of their respective  public health professionals.

I think it's all about common sense, and not undoing all the work that has gone into keeping Covid under control by opening up way too early to visitors who have not done as well, thereby risking another wave of the virus.  We have the right to keep our own country/province/state safe in whichever way we choose.  Canada has done particularly well, as has my province of BC, and while we are really hurting from the loss of tourist and cruise revenue in Vancouver, better safe than sorry.  It will take time, but we will recover.  Many of us are happy that the border remains closed and that cruise ships are restricted to very small vessels.  It is done for safety, not spite.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Lazy Lakes said:

Glad the sun will rise tomorrow.

Agree.  And, the Sun will rise for many more times before its rays will find me on a cruise.  

I regret to say this.  But, as I write this:  I think it is reality.  At least for me.   

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

I think it would have been a good start for having tourists again to try with the few cruise ships have been left for Canada sailings.
I thinks most cruises for Alaska and Canada had been already cancelled.
Maybe they should have tried with these little number of ships what will happen.
To lock down until end of October means, that the first cruise ship will Maybe arrive in April next year and the first numbers will arrive for winter season - and also flu season again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums