Jump to content

Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?


Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

What is very frustrating about getting the vaccine in some states, including MD and PA, is the amount of vaccine sitting on the shelf in the state and not being used.    I wrote emails and called our, governor, senator and congressman (Hoyer) daily since the vaccine was released to the state.  Of course they were too busy with other, non life threatening issues, in DC.   At least Florida has now stopped offering the vaccines to snowbirds (Many from Canada).   There was even vaccine tourism from Canada.   My 78 year old husband finally received the first dose seven weeks after it became available and 12 weeks after it was finally approved after the election.    Many of our states have woefully mismanaged this process.   

Florida....Depends  on the definition and criteria for " snowbirds,"

if you own a home, register a  car,  have utility  bills, etc and are here for awhile..may well qualify,   Several have posted the requirments on CC  but not all " snowbirds" are excluded.  We are getting our second shot next week..

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, hcat said:

Florida....Depends  on the definition and criteria for " snowbirds,"

if you own a home, register a  car,  have utility  bills, etc and are here for awhile..may well qualify,   Several have posted the requirments on CC  but not all " snowbirds" are excluded.  We are getting our second shot next week..

 

15 minutes ago, hcat said:

Florida....Depends  on the definition and criteria for " snowbirds,"

if you own a home, register a  car,  have utility  bills, etc and are here for awhile..may well qualify,   Several have posted the requirments on CC  but not all " snowbirds" are excluded.  We are getting our second shot next week..

As a true Florida resident, over 65 and with asthma controlled by steroid inhaler I can’t get a vaccine.  I could care less about snowbirds.  Good for you Hcat. As I   probably spend  triple the time in FL as you I’m totally frustrated 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

In MA as well, our Gov admitted this week the rollout has not been handled well

Some Gov's are more competent than others.   🍷

 

Edited by Wine-O
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2020 at 5:06 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

Which begs the question, are they taking the volunteers "word" that they have/don't have any symptoms via periodic phone surveys or are they required (and paid) to come in for periodic visits/checkups? If they come in, aren't they at least given a COVID test and their blood drawn to record their health status or do they just fill out a form? If the latter, that doesn't sound very scientific. 

I did a little trip down memory lane this evening. Can you believe it was just 3 months ago when I asked this question? I wonder how far we all will have come 3 months from now?

Edited by Ken the cruiser
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nocl said:

Will you certainly seem to also have an opinion on a lot of subjects, usually to criticize others without adding anything material.

 

 

Yes I do have a lot of opinions, which I try not to present as facts, I generally add an IMO...I have criticized some posts, as some have done of mine, and rightly so on both counts.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just heard on our local news the FDA advisory committee isn't scheduled to formally meet to discuss the J&J vaccine data until Feb 26th. So it appears their vaccine won't start being delivered to US locations until at least early March.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Wow, you are such and expert on every single topic posted here on CC, amazing!

 

9 hours ago, nocl said:

Will you certainly seem to also have an opinion on a lot of subjects, usually to criticize others without adding anything material.

 

 

 

You guys might be close to getting a time out and having your post count reduced.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, nocl said:

Define plenty.  Plenty would be enough that prioritization would not be necessary and all potential vaccination venues would be able to vaccinate to full capacity.

Yes that would be plenty.  I hope for that scenario some time later this year.  

 

What I am trying to point out is that in my state and many others, people (beyond hcw's) who are qualified for the vaccine (65+, or 18-64 with specific medical conditions) are not getting it or appointments for it in any logical organized manner.  Many here report their "stories" of how they got the vaccine for themselves or elderly relatives.  These stories involve luck, ingenuity, happenstance, anything but a defined process that can be counted on.  Maybe some states like FL are somewhat more successful because they have put a plan together and executed it for 65+.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I just heard on our local news the FDA advisory committee isn't scheduled to formally meet to discuss the J&J vaccine data until Feb 26th. So it appears their vaccine won't start being delivered to US locations until at least early March.

Yes that seems to be the case.  I agree that this meeting should take place much sooner.  So expect EUA approval by the FDA maybe March 1 and shipments to start that week.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-announces-advisory-committee-meeting-discuss-janssen-biotech-incs

Edited by TeeRick
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Oville said:

 

As a true Florida resident, over 65 and with asthma controlled by steroid inhaler I can’t get a vaccine.  I could care less about snowbirds.  Good for you Hcat. As I   probably spend  triple the time in FL as you I’m totally frustrated 

I don't know what part of Florida you live in.

 

My husband and I finally had success checking and booking an appointment with the county health departments that contracted with Maguire Health to develop a booking system. By us, the counties that use the system are Hernando, Pasco, Pinellas and Hillsbourgh. We finally booked appointments (second shot automatically booked at the same time) in Hernando County.

 

The website is https://www.patientportalfl.com 

 

This is not the new statewide system that was recently announced and there is no link between the two systems.

 

You can create an account ahead of time. Supposedly, (new since we signed up), after creating your basic account,  you can click "Get Vaccinated" and do the health questionnaire and permission slip.

 

Unfortunately, you need to individually track each county to see when appointments will be open for that county.

 

If you did so, do not be tricked by a log in button on the county health page (usually up on the upper right side of the page). That will be for those having an account with the local health department for care and will not put you on the vaccine sign up portal.

 

Instead, look for the link for the patientportalfl link (hidden in different places on the availability announcement or just bookmark the link after creating your account.

 

Good luck. Let the game begin.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

You guys might be close to getting a time out and having your post count reduced.

LOL----Get back into the pool--- This back and forth " cutting " each other down is more fun to read than 114 pages of  " I live in XXX and am waiting to get MY shot " or better still " I'm not gettin no vaccine " .

Oh No, -- here it comes------ " So, don't read it--- move on " !!!

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is an interesting news story today which might help explain how Pfizer production levels will be increasing in the coming days and weeks which would definitely help on the supply side with getting more shots in the arms sooner than later.

 

Pfizer expects to cut COVID-19 vaccine production time by close to 50% as production ramps up, efficiencies increase (msn.com)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

What is very frustrating about getting the vaccine in some states, including MD and PA, is the amount of vaccine sitting on the shelf in the state and not being used.    I wrote emails and called our, governor, senator and congressman (Hoyer) daily since the vaccine was released to the state.  Of course they were too busy with other, non life threatening issues, in DC.   At least Florida has now stopped offering the vaccines to snowbirds (Many from Canada).   There was even vaccine tourism from Canada.   My 78 year old husband finally received the first dose seven weeks after it became available and 12 weeks after it was finally approved after the election.    Many of our states have woefully mismanaged this process.   

 

In Maryland the state allocated too many doses to the two large  private hospital systems who only vaccinate patients affiliated with their doctors. They won't vaccinate anyone not a prior patient. They are going through their list of prior patients rather slowly,  They have the doses sitting on the shelf. The county heallth department which has the other half of the their doses the state allocated to our county has administered 80%  of their doses and are only doing over 75 now.  I was lucky and able to get my first shot at a religious afiliated hospital that is not limiting to prior patients and is doing over.65.  Next week the state will have two mass vaccination sites with more projected,, plus CVS and Walgreens starting to vaccinate. The vaccinations should speed up here unless there are production issues from the vaccine suppliers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2021 at 5:29 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

 

It's an issue with the minority communities not trusting the government and the medical community.  At least in Michigan many of the staff working in the assisted living  or long term care facilities are from minority communities and the minority communities are not getting vaccinated at the same rate as the non-minority populations.  This is starting to be a problem in some states because they are hesitant to move to mass vaccination settings that might allow a higher percentage of non-minority  community to be vaccinated.  The result is an overall slow down in the vaccination rates because of the distrust of the government.

It clearly is a problem.  Too bad the states can't figure out that they can actually do two things at once - work on easing the concerns of the "not me" vaccination public while at the same time going ahead and giving vaccines to those who are willing and are next in line.  They are so afraid of the optics that the statistics will show,  that they are literally willing to risk people's lives to save their own political one.  Sad

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Yes that seems to be the case.  I agree that this meeting should take place much sooner.  So expect EUA approval by the FDA maybe March 1 and shipments to start that week.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-announces-advisory-committee-meeting-discuss-janssen-biotech-incs

 

I read that J&J has production snags so having it approved sooner imay not speed up shipments.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

It clearly is a problem.  Too bad the states can't figure out that they can actually do two things at once - work on easing the concerns of the "not me" vaccination public while at the same time going ahead and giving vaccines to those who are willing and are next in line.  They are so afraid of the optics that the statistics will show,  that they are literally willing to risk people's lives to save their own political one.  Sad

 

We have that problem here too. The local politicians don't want to appear they are  not "equitable".

Link to post
Share on other sites

In our area of NC they have been able to be able to distribute the entire allotment each week for the last 3 weeks.  Duke hospital system who I use has gone from catch one if you can appointment system and a wait list where you could be on the wait list then someone else would catch an open appointment.

 

Now they have gone to wait list signup only, then you get an email which enables you to schedule an appointment which seems to be working more equitably. 

 

Two of the 3 large hospital systems will take appointments for anyone, the third is only their existing patients.

 

The local health department is putting you on a waitlist then prioritizing who is getting appointments by zip code of under served areas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Yes that would be plenty.  I hope for that scenario some time later this year.  

 

What I am trying to point out is that in my state and many others, people (beyond hcw's) who are qualified for the vaccine (65+, or 18-64 with specific medical conditions) are not getting it or appointments for it in any logical organized manner.  Many here report their "stories" of how they got the vaccine for themselves or elderly relatives.  These stories involve luck, ingenuity, happenstance, anything but a defined process that can be counted on.  Maybe some states like FL are somewhat more successful because they have put a plan together and executed it for 65+.  

States really are showing huge differences in their ability to get vaccines into arms.  

 

As for the definition of "plenty", Michigan has something around 1.5 million people in the 60+ age range.  Michigan has received 1.8 million vaccine doses.  PLENTY to vaccinate all of those 60+ once, which alone would eliminate 90+% of covid deaths.

 

Of the ~1million doses administered, roughly half have been given to that most vulnerable age group.  Not only has the distribution bias only recently swung to the 60+ people, the state is also slow to administer the doses on hand.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

@phoenix_dream @Charles4515

 

It isn't just the politics of the optics. It is also true that reluctance can be reinforced when statistics come out revealing an inequitable distribution of vaccines. The reason might be the reluctance of a minority group to get the vaccine, but when the result is numerous whites getting vaccines in minority neighborhoods where special outreach is being directed (as occurred in NYC), there will be many who see that as taking vaccine opportunities away from the intended targets. That can further discourage trust by someone already too aware of over a century of public health failures in minority communities.

 

 

Edited by mayleeman
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

@phoenix_dream @Charles4515

 

It isn't just the politics of the optics. It is also true that reluctance can be reinforced when statistics come out revealing an inequitable distribution of vaccines. The reason might be the reluctance of a minority group to get the vaccine, but when the result is numerous whites getting vaccines in minority neighborhoods where special outreach is being directed (as occurred in NYC), there will be many who see that as taking vaccine opportunities away from the intended targets. That can further discourage trust by someone already too aware of over a century of public health failures in minority communities.

 

 

 

There is resistance among minorities because of past history but my county is 60% white, 20% black and 15% Asian. There are no minority neighborhoods. When you sign up for vaccination they ask your race and ethnicity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

@phoenix_dream @Charles4515

 

It isn't just the politics of the optics. It is also true that reluctance can be reinforced when statistics come out revealing an inequitable distribution of vaccines. The reason might be the reluctance of a minority group to get the vaccine, but when the result is numerous whites getting vaccines in minority neighborhoods where special outreach is being directed (as occurred in NYC), there will be many who see that as taking vaccine opportunities away from the intended targets. That can further discourage trust by someone already too aware of over a century of public health failures in minority communities.

 

 

 

It's also that black, hispanic, and asians, have higher rates of hospitalization and deaths from COVID than caucasians.  So from a risk based approach, if your goal is to prevent hospitalizations and deaths, you target these communities.

 

That's also why over 65/75 is getting priority, to prevent hospitalizations and deaths.  Everyone here is happy they are in the priority list because they are higher risk, but they aren't willing to begrudge other people who are even higher risk a chance at the vaccine first?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

when the result is numerous whites getting vaccines in minority neighborhoods where special outreach is being directed

Exactly....Here, the superstations etc are all in either the south bay (nearer the border) and in Escondido which also has a prominence of Latinos and more of a reliance on mass transit.  I haven't really heard anyone complaining- everyone in my surrounding areas just jump in their cars.  As long as they don't limit vaccines to those zip codes, we are good.  I figure, all the Caucasians showing up may help increase the trust but maybe I am naïve. Most of our hospitals are not giving out vaccines.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...