Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

1 minute ago, D C said:

What constitutes a 'permanent record' and who maintains it Ken? County? State? I've received vaccinations and treatments in the past that don't even show up on the portal of the medical system that provided the service.  I don't expect that I could readily find the date of my last tetanus shot, let alone anything resembling a history of records. 

All my immunizations, tetanus, multiple years of flu shots, shingles, pneumonia shots and the two COVID were listed on the State of Maryland health department site going back to 2012. 

5 hours ago, nocl said:

When the time comes check the web sites for Albertson's, CVS, etc a couple of times each day.  SLO county went to age 50 on Monday.  On the 3rd time I checked Albertson's web site at 10:15 pm I got an appointment for the next day.  They also differentiate between the two dose vaccines and the single dose.

Thanks.  I have been vaccinated but trying now for family members.  We all have tried those sites as well as Walgreens and all the county sites multiple times a day.  Even in the middle of the night.  There has been nothing in our county for about a week.  Another superstation has been closed for 4 days of the last week.

12 minutes ago, D C said:

Paper card with writing on it.  Doesn't even have my name on it, nor does it have the location where I received the jab or who administered it. 

It varies from location to location.  In AZ you get the CDC card with name, lot number and date.  Easy to fake?  Certainly.  If faked and the person gave COVID to others there would be legal consequences.  The state's, counties or pharmacies can verify vaccinations.

1 minute ago, D C said:

What constitutes a 'permanent record' and who maintains it Ken? County? State? I've received vaccinations and treatments in the past that don't even show up on the portal of the medical system that provided the service.  I don't expect that I could readily find the date of my last tetanus shot, let alone anything resembling a history of records. 

We get our various cruise-related vaccines from our nearby AFB clinic and flu shots from our nearby pharmacy. We then take a printout from the pharmacy over to the AFB clinic to get them added to our cumulative record. For us regarding our covid vaccine, if the AFB clinic doesn't recognize the CDC card to update our records, we'll contact the Alabama Dept of Health who orchestrated the shots and hopefully they'll be able to print something more official to give them. But right now, we're counting on using our CDC card until we hear differently.

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

All my immunizations, tetanus, multiple years of flu shots, shingles, pneumonia shots and the two COVID were listed on the State of Maryland health department site going back to 2012. 

That's impressive! 

Michigan says to contact whoever administered the shot for documentation.  The state only requires notification of "ALL immunizations administered to every child born after December 31, 1993 and less than 20 years of age 

18 minutes ago, D C said:

I happen to expect competence from the CDC on every topic, yet they demonstrate otherwise with every opportunity.  The only thing 'about me' is that I apparently have higher expectations than others. 

I agree.  Before COVID the CDC kind of had a mythos around them, and well deserved.

I have no idea what happened this time around, but since the beginning with the whole testing debacle they have not been effective at all.

I wonder if right now the government is overcompensating the other way for early failures.  It's like the fool in the shower.

8 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We get our various cruise-related vaccines from our nearby AFB clinic and flu shots from our nearby pharmacy. We then take a printout from the pharmacy over to the AFB clinic to get them added to our cumulative record. For us regarding our covid vaccine, if the AFB clinic doesn't recognize the CDC card to update our records, we'll contact the Alabama Dept of Health who orchestrated the shots and hopefully they'll be able to print something more official to give them. But right now, we're counting on using our CDC card until we hear differently.

So some work required on your behalf.  Gotcha.  Annual flu shots + periodic tetanus shots seems to be the extent of adult vaccinations until this year, so little need to maintain records.  No clue how I'd find childhood records though. 

*edit*what "cruise-related" vaccines have you been getting? 

Edited by D C

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Your mistake is you confuse the public with people who want to cruise and the cruise industry. Most people I know would not consider taking a cruise. The CDC has said cruises should be avoided. You personally want a glimmer of hope. That is not their mission. Why should they care about PR? 

The cruise industry gave itself a huge black eye a year ago. The doubt the HBO Diamond Princess documentary premiering on March 30 is going to help the cruise industry.

You do realize that the CDC also says to avoid all nonessential travel.  I am fully vaccinated and I am ignoring that one.  How about you?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, D C said:

That's impressive! 

Michigan says to contact whoever administered the shot for documentation.  The state only requires notification of "ALL immunizations administered to every child born after December 31, 1993 and less than 20 years of age 

I took a look at Michigan and North Carolina and unfortunately they don’t seem to keep records like Maryland. 

1 minute ago, D C said:

So some work required on your behalf.  Gotcha.  Annual flu shots + periodic tetanus shots seems to be the extent of adult vaccinations until this year, so little need to maintain records.  No clue how I'd find childhood records though. 

For us we had to get the Japanese insephelitis shot, because we were cruising to Asia, the hepatitis shot for just GPs for the various places we cruise as well as a typhoid shot every 2 years. Oh, we also got the MMR shot I referenced when I started this thread. If nothingelse we're keeping our immune systems wide awake! 😁

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I took a look at Michigan and North Carolina and unfortunately they don’t seem to keep records like Maryland. 

If I can find the right department, I'm going to see if the state receives notifications for (all) covid vaccines.  DW works in healthcare and didn't even get a card until her 2nd dose when she asked. "we have 200 people to vaccinate.... let's bring 150 cards" was how round 1 went.  Either CVS or Rite Aid administering. 

11 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

You do realize that the CDC also says to avoid all nonessential travel.  I am fully vaccinated and I am ignoring that one.  How about you?

I think you missed my point. Since they say to avoid cruises there should be no expectation that they would be wanting to give a glimmer of hope or facilitate cruises when they say to avoid them.  We can choose to follow  their advice to avoid non essential or not. We can avoid cruises or we will be able to fly to Nassau, St. Martin, Cyprus or Bermuda and take a cruise.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Ignore all you want, but you won't be boarding a ship in the US, right?!

4 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Ignore all you want, but you won't be boarding a ship in the US, right?!

I will, thank you.  And we shall see. I do not do only seven days cruises, so I will not be cruising for a while.

Edited by jagoffee

There was an Interesting online article at WFLA this a.m. about a company that is researching  a long lasting vaccine that  might offer long term protection for several years.  That would be a potential game changer.

Also mentioned  research into  nasal sprays and a patch for those who cannot do or fear shots.

Our cruise is in Jan 2022 if it sails but no idea if we would need booster shots And hopefully if we do,  there would be an easier way to get them compared to current practice.

12 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

A non essential industry. The major cruise lines like Royal Caribbean are not a US industry. The Royal Caribbean ships are flagged in the Bahamas and the company is incorporated in Liberia. Thus they got no relief funds from the US government.

Even though the industry is not a US company, they generate an amazing amount of money for the port cities they are in. Have you ever watched them loading the food/drink supplies one semi after another into the cruise ship for each voyage? It is amazing. Then you have the port itself which provides the staff/longshoremen. Then you have the hotels/bars/tourist attractions on shore that receive income from the tourist they attract. For the people who rely on the ships for their income, I would say that they consider them an essential industry. You can bet that those people are receiving funds from the government if they qualify. 

For now we all have the paper cards in the US.  Hopefully if you track the many other posts on this document issue here on CC then many feel there will eventually some certified vaccine card and electronic documentation.  It could take a long time.  Maybe it will be federal or maybe states/local.  Maybe also through pharmacy records or electronic records of your primary physician.   Possibly in your passport information too.  But for now anyway we will live with the card and all of its issues the biggest one being easy to forge.

Lots of discussion on this vaccine thread about the CDC.  I understand it and have made my own posts here and I will point out that I personally have posted on several other threads specifically started about the CDC issues.  

Just now, TeeRick said:

For now we all have the paper cards in the US.  Hopefully if you track the many other posts on this document issue here on CC then many feel there will eventually some certified vaccine card and electronic documentation.  It could take a long time.  Maybe it will be federal or maybe states/local.  Maybe also through pharmacy records or electronic records of your primary physician.   Possibly in your passport information too.  But for now anyway we will live with the card and all of its issues the biggest one being easy to forge.

My recent vaccination certificate here in BC has a bar code.

13 hours ago, cangelmd said:

The monoclonal antibodies have been highly effective as well. The problem is identifying and then notifying and actually treating the persons who will benefit the most. The cost-benefit ratio and side effect profile of both antiviral and antibodies has to hit a sweet spot - this is an infection that the majority will recover just fine on their own, but some are going to get deathly ill and some will have long term effects. On the positive side, I think I saw preliminary findings that looked like treating the virus might prevent the long term symptoms. If that holds up, it will shift the cost benefit toward treatment

I brought up the example of the oral, SARS-CoV-2 specific antiviral drug because I believe that in addition to requiring vaccinated passengers, cruise ships could carry a supply of an oral antiviral medication too.  If cheap and available.  Not likely that ships will treat people with IV and antibody therapeutics onboard.  I am thinking that people onboard who test COVID positive might be prescribed an oral antiviral.  Of course the clinical trials would have to support giving the oral antiviral to COVID positive asymptomatic people and to mild cases on board.  I think the issue of long-haulers is a whole different story and not really what I am trying to address here.