Majesty: Will Cuba cruises save her?

14 hours ago, snaebyllej said:

On the ship they said that she turned out to be in much worse condition than expected when they got her back.

I recall the refurbish was 50 million over budget. They did a great job with Boleros though.

Edited by coaster

16 hours ago, yogimax said:

Do you know the real reason so much extra was spent on Empress when they received her from Pullmantur?

Yes, I do in detail.  Do you?

The reason does not make a difference to me; they did a beautiful job inside the entire ship (including those not meant decor but behind the walls and under the floors.)

16 hours ago, snaebyllej said:

On the ship they said that she turned out to be in much worse condition than expected when they got her back.

Nice looking cat!  Actually, they had to replace every galley on the ship.

7 hours ago, LXA350 said:

Concerning possible Cuba operations, which would be considered a more higher yielding market

The Cuba "premium" was already wearing off when sailings were cancelled and if needed any remaining Vision or Radiance class ships could support those itineraries.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, yogimax said:

Mice or rats infesting the galleys.  Others may have heard a different story but this was what was told me.

Every other source besides yours says "cockroaches".  Which is worse?  That would be a matter of opinion.

Bottom line is that they had to replace all of the galleys.  And since Empress has no "sisters", they had to be fabricated from scratch.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, little britain said:

Majesty doesn’t know which way to go.....

823F210F-2703-477E-9B49-4B6FB7A1EB15.png

Looks like RCI has already dismantled all valuable parts like the navigational devices in preparation for final beaching

• Haha 2

On 7/25/2020 at 7:33 AM, badvector said:

Much like many other ports of call minus the novelty.  The only difference is the mega shopping areas built by the cruise lines to accommodate DI, TI, etc. in the other ports. 

We did Cuba a couple of years ago and found it to be quite interesting.  Never experienced any of the political propaganda and in fact, our tour guide was very honest about the country.  We found the people to be friendly and  welcoming and would return in a heartbeat.

That was us last spring. One of the best cruises we have ever taken and would return in a heartbeat. Good drinks, people friendly, very honest about the politics of the day. Hope to go back. 

Majesty's next .. as soon as there's room on the beach in Aliaga ... its pretty full there at the moment with Monarch and Sovereign.   I cant believe that little Empress could be too much longer for the world either. 

Edited by F27TW
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, F27TW said:

Majesty's next .. as soon as there's room on the beach in Aliaga ... its pretty full there at the moment with Monarch and Sovereign.   I cant believe that little Empress could be too much longer for the world either. 

They may be running out of room.  Carnival Fantasy is now there and the AIS transponder was turned off yesterday.  Carnival Inspiration is now in the Med sailing to Aliaga.  Horizon is also going there sometime soon.

• Like 1

Well, topics of Cuba are always funny to read.  First, many people only took excursions on my overnight cruise, and scurried back onto the ship.  No, you can't swim with the dolphins, there is no Sr. Frogs.  Can't go on a boat to snorkal (no boats in Cuba, they were all taken to Florida).  But what Cuba does have a weird stoppage in time.  It has plenty of little restaurants, and places to drink.  Some nice public squares.  It is filled with history as you look at the buildings and imagine what it was like.  But on the other hand, it is a sad place.  The citizens don't seem sad, but seeing the way it is when you are not used to it is sad.  I would go back again.  The little ships that went were nice also.  It was a different experience.  But than again, after my 4 hour tour, I walked off the ship, went and saw cigar making factory, took a bycycle taxi, went to a pub, ate dinner, listened to some music at another pub, and walked around.  

On 7/24/2020 at 9:06 AM, Saab4444 said:

No, Grandeur or Rhapsody or Vision could also go to Cuba if needed. If all those smaller ships have to go they will reduce itineraries and focus on key markets with fewer departure ports.

That is likely to happen anyway with the way things are going with Covid.

On 7/24/2020 at 5:12 PM, atanac said:

The only novelty of going to Cuba is just being there. Other than that it's a third world country with

all the inconvieniences you could want.

Disagree; it isn't a tourist trap like most of the standard Caribbean visits have become and has a lot more European influence in architecture and history that many would imagine.  There are really magnificent parts of Cuba; it's called a cultural experience, not something you are going to get at St Martin or Cozumel. Is it a third world country with inconveniences? Surely. But there's a ton to experience.  If you're the type that needs a Dairy Queen or Starbucks within 500 feet of the ship, I agree, not the right destination. 

• Like 6