Safety Drill enhancement

woodscruise

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

But in the case of a REAL emergency, and you have to evacuate the ship, you need to go back to your cabin to collect your medication, put on warm clothes and get your ID.

Actually in a real emergency you wouldn't have time for any of that. Remember the Concordia? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orator said:

If they wavied the process for Elite+ and Zeniths they could shorten the wait for others.

if you are an Elite+ you've attended the drill so many time that you could repeat it in your sleep.

On the other hand for some people in that age group there are memory issues, and they need reminders. Not all of course, but many people do have issues. The problem there though is would they remember 2 days later?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

But, if the captain had acted properly, there would have been time. 

I believe the Captain created that emergency. 

What you say changes nothing. Most emergencies require fast action. 

Moving to a video in  one's cabin or on their  tablet/ phone is def an improvement, esp if they cut out all the cutesy cartoons and just provide  the required safety info . It will also be a time saver if they allow guests to pick a preferred language to view rather than repeating it numerous times in diff languages at the group session.

( Also avoids all the germs left on the tables and seats where the video is now shown in dining areas)

The Log Jam will be the line up and check in procedure..same as it is now,

Crowded elevs and stairwells.. so only halfway there as " groundbreaking"

Most online training I participate in, has a  numerical code imbedded in the presentation..changes each time. Particpants instantly  fill out a confirmation form with the code and submit that to the monitor.  Can be done with a few tech  folks on board to make sure everyone has logged in with the code!  No need to  line up!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hcat said:

Can be done with a few tech  folks on board to make sure everyone has logged in with the code! 

Uh, you have experienced the Celebrity website, right? Don't give them too much credit. 

1 hour ago, AC Stew said:

I definitely appreciate your point, however:

- Rest assured, in a bad situation, I would not endanger myself to retrieve anything from our cabin.

- It's simply an extra layer of safety to have that lifejacket in the cabin.

- Not to be overly pessimistic, but haven't you seen news coverage of fights breaking out on airplanes and ships? Absolute chaos ensuing over the dumbest provocations. Sorry to report: Bad behavior has become normalized ... there would be pushing and shoving!

Your third point made me think of movies (fictional) where panicky passengers pulled others from the entrances to the lifeboats so that they would be assured a spot. While I've seen news clips and YouTube videos of fights onboard, none of them were related to calls to muster stations. I suppose it's a possibility.

1 hour ago, AC Stew said:

Of course, since we prefer smaller (generally older) ships, I've never sailed without a life jacket in our cabin. If I find that we're on a ship without them in the cabin, I'll ask for 2 life jackets to be provided. Not an unreasonable request.

Excellent idea. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Brilliant.  If the ships sail again, you might survive.  Now for the drill. How will they do it being responsible and keep social distancing?

Did you read it? It's not the mass drill. You watch it on your own and check in with a crew member to verify and ask any questions.

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Uh, you have experienced the Celebrity website, right? Don't give them too much credit. 

True,  but they may have learned a few things during the pause.  

The CODE system works well.  Just need to imbed a new code for each cruise.  The Codes are sent in  by the viewers via a quick e mail to the monitor. Unless they want to get fancy not very high tech!

9 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Thanks so much! It will make embarkation day even better.

Now if they could just figure a way to deliver everyone's bags to their staterooms faster, it would be perfect. 

So true.🙄

On 7/24/2020 at 6:22 AM, woodscruise said:

Royal Caribbean Group reinvents cruise industry's safety drill

- New patented approach helps guests sail away smoothly

- Technology licensed to other cruise lines to help eliminate crowding

News Release Issued: Jul 24, 2020 (6:00am EDT)

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/royal-caribbean-group-reinvents-cruise-industrys-safety-drill-301099281.html

Thank you - just saw a very 'brief' discussion about this program this morning.

bon voyage

22 hours ago, Orator said:

If they wavied the process for Elite+ and Zeniths they could shorten the wait for others.

if you are an Elite+ you've attended the drill so many time that you could repeat it in your sleep.

What a ridiculous idea. Safety has nothing to do with status. 
I have no issue that back to back in the same room are exempt but I don’t expect exemption otherwise 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, hcat said:

Moving to a video in  one's cabin or on their  tablet/ phone is def an improvement, esp if they cut out all the cutesy cartoons and just provide  the required safety info . It will also be a time saver if they allow guests to pick a preferred language to view rather than repeating it numerous times in diff languages at the group session.

( Also avoids all the germs left on the tables and seats where the video is now shown in dining areas)

The Log Jam will be the line up and check in procedure..same as it is now,

Crowded elevs and stairwells.. so only halfway there as " groundbreaking"

Most online training I participate in, has a  numerical code imbedded in the presentation..changes each time. Particpants instantly  fill out a confirmation form with the code and submit that to the monitor.  Can be done with a few tech  folks on board to make sure everyone has logged in with the code!  No need to  line up!

hcat you are very much offering a logical and easy solution!  Online training/courses are used by a lot of people and are easy to do in advance in your own time and in your own language.  I am thinking out loud here but I am wondering if the muster/safety training can be done at home before the cruise?  Ship specific? So Muster 2.0 Home Edition?   Perhaps as a co-requirement when you do the online check-in step prior to the cruise?  Your boarding pass would certify that you completed the required safety training.  At online check-in from home they could show a diagram of your specific cabin's muster station just like they give you a diagram for your luggage tags. Like Muster 2.0,  once onboard at some time prior to ship departure you walk down to the muster station (to prove you know where it is) and get your Sea Pass card scanned and checked off the list.  I think this works for many passengers and greatly aids social distancing.  But not for everybody of course.  So those that did not do the training in advance would need to attend the usual muster drill on the ship- but hopefully with significantly reduced numbers.

• Like 1

I think the problem might be the time it takes to get everyone checked thru the new muster system. Now it takes about 1 hour start to finish and most of the crew is involved. This new system will require crew members in each muster station for what 3 to 5 hours waiting for passengers to straggle in. I hope it works but but I am a little skeptical.

• Like 1

In theory, the process could be almost completely automated. After viewing the video, a code is provided for each passenger (as suggested before). The passenger then goes to the muster station, scans his or her card, enters the code, and is recorded as having completed the drill. I'm thinking along the lines of airline self-check-in kiosks for international flights; enter the reservation number, scan your passport, and you get a boarding pass.

Without a lot of thought, there are two obvious issues:

1. Confusion or inability for an individual to deal with the self-scan and code entry, perhaps because of language barriers or perhaps because of technical knowledge  inadequacy or whatever reason. Probably would need to have at least one person at the check-in station to assist, who could also help verify that one person does not enter three or four codes (i.e., check-in for other people).
  2. There will indubitably be numerous ways devised for checking in other people to avoid the inconvenience of finding one's muster station. Considering the number of people that spend more energy avoiding safety rules than it would take to comply, I'm sure some will consider it a challenge to defeat the system. Other than having a person watch the kiosks (see above), which is not going to be completely effective - and which would remove the efficiency of the process if it were - I don't have a good answer.

2 hours ago, uktog said:

What a ridiculous idea. Safety has nothing to do with status. 
I have no issue that back to back in the same room are exempt but I don’t expect exemption otherwise 

Not status. Based on experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orator said:

Not status. Based on experience.

I thought Zenith was a status.   My mistake. 
Experience can be forgotten so I repeat b2b yes exemption because of experience over the years no.