Hurtigruten 4 crew test positive

Manx buoy

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

My friend knows one of the P&O loyalty managers, and he’s been told he won’t be needed until at least April. He’s currently a delivery driver for Amazon.

Useful insight thanks, I can understand why that would be being described to certain staffing groups as the actual position.

P&O will need their Loyalty Managers more than ever soon, they have done a great job in questioning it over the last six months😒😡

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

My friend knows one of the P&O loyalty managers, and he’s been told he won’t be needed until at least April. He’s currently a delivery driver for Amazon.

That ties in with what I and others have heard from people connected to Carnival. 

But, as we know, things can change overnight, so if some of these early cruises go hitch free, things could change. 

Andy 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

and it continues to get worse....29 more cases onboard....what were they thinking trying to rush back into service...so stupid!

https://www.tv2.no/nyheter/11565352/?utm_source=upday&utm_medium=referral

Oh no, that’s bad news.

As we know, cruise ships are ideal breeding grounds for viruses and bugs. The protocols can be as stringent as possible, but when people are introduced into the environment, then anything can happen. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Oh no, that’s bad news.

As we know, cruise ships are ideal breeding grounds for viruses and bugs. The protocols can be as stringent as possible, but when people are introduced into the environment, then anything can happen. 

To be honest there are lots of places that are ideal breeding grounds for viruses and bugs not just cruise ships, the question is what type of checks did they do on the crew and passengers before they boarded.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Oh no, that’s bad news.

I understand that Norway is outside of the EU but follows similar rules...not trying to start that one off again...please stay with me a second...😀

Have Hurtigurten trialled the CLIA guidance which was referred to on a previous thread a few weeks ago?

Depending on the investigation (what seems immediately obvious here is the notification and quarantine issue), it may be that the guidance has to be revisited, based on what went wrong.

The only thing I would say is that this story doesn't have great readership beyond boards like this. 

I know this raises serious safety questions but do we think that this will make a difference to the majority customer sentiment when it comes to the next cruise company to attempt to restart?

4 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

I understand that Norway is outside of the EU but follows similar rules...not trying to start that one off again...please stay with me a second...😀

Have Hurtigurten trialled the CLIA guidance which was referred to on a previous thread a few weeks ago?

Depending on the investigation (what seems immediately obvious here is the notification and quarantine issue), it may be that the guidance has to be revisited, based on what went wrong.

The only thing I would say is that this story doesn't have great readership beyond boards like this. 

I know this raises serious safety questions but do we think that this will make a difference to the majority customer sentiment when it comes to the next cruise company to attempt to restart?

My thought entirely taking a wild guess they followed there own rules

22 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

This is really bad news.

Even these small steps towards starting cruising are experiencing problems, so I can’t see for the life of me how cruising on the larger ships can start, in the current situation. 

As you say, this is not negatively, it’s just realism.  

Although my head has accepted a couple of months ago that realistic cruising is over for the year and probably longer, my heart still wants to believe that cruising will start again. But I don’t think it’s going to happen any time soon 

I agree, cruising is not going to happen for ages unless people are willing to accept going on a cruise ship and not getting off again until the end of the cruise.   Cruises to nowhere might suit some (not me) but I think they will be the first way people will get back on board.  

11 hours ago, davecttr said:

According to marinetraffic global Mein Schiff 2's first cruise was to Kristiansand where she did the pirouette in the harbour and left. The next one was to Oslo where she was scheduled to dock for 3 hours. Marine traffic showed her alongside. No idea why unless they were testing ship shore protocols for evacuating passengers etc.

The press reports on the Hurtigruten issue imply that the company seem to have adopted a cavalier attitude to the recommended procedures, also maybe TUI did as well.

We keep getting cruise ships in Gibraltar.  Not sure why because no passengers boarding.  When we see them (great view from our staff kitchen) we wonder why.  We understand crew might be changing (our airport is open), but imagining them still moving around the mediterranean sounds a bit expensive.  

52 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Well, three have had a go, fully or in part, and each has ended with Covid cases.

A total disaster.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Even if P&O start up in October, the first onboard loyalty managers will sail through til April. If all the loyalty managers have been told the same, then that would be concerning. It’s not my understanding.

3 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

We keep getting cruise ships in Gibraltar.  Not sure why because no passengers boarding.  When we see them (great view from our staff kitchen) we wonder why.  We understand crew might be changing (our airport is open), but imagining them still moving around the mediterranean sounds a bit expensive.  

The ships have to dock to replenish supplies, and then depart to avoid port charges and to discard grey water.

What else can they do?

yes agree.  I have no intention of cruising until there is a vaccine which is proven to work.  In fact, I think I might be done with cruising.  Just spent 3 days in London with our friend who we cruise with and she feels the same.  Not worth the risk.

We will still cruise if the safety measures are in place, we have just came back from our friends who introduced us to cruising there in there late seventies, they was most upset when I told them I doubted if they would be cruising this year.

Well, we are prepared to take the risk even though we are in our 60’s. We have no undying health issues either.

We ski in the Alps every year and I would argue that is more risky than taking a cruise in the current climate.

Against all common sense I ski without a helmet. Have done for 40 years now. Life is for living and having a laugh.

• Like 2

I can’t see how any cruise company will be allowed to start up again any time soon. As this episode has shown, and given it’s a comparatively small ship, it’s impossible to get all crew and passengers onboard and be 100% sure no one has taken the virus with them. Testing isn’t accurate enough at this stage. You can’t quarantine all passengers and crew for 10 days before the ship sets sail so I really can’t see what options the cruise lines have. Many countries are either riddled with the virus or they won’t want ships visiting and insurance will either be non existent or crazy money. We need a vaccine and soon!

As with all of these cases, its important to understand what happened.

What amazes me is that the passenger took the correct steps to notify the authorities and Hurtigurten did nothing. The reports indicate that the initial crew infected were not Norwegian nationals.

What seems to be a concern here is that crew are testing negative in their home country, then travelling to board ships and finding they have the virus on arrival.

I've heard suggestions that P&O were looking end to end bubbles. So crew arrive a foreign hotel with negative test in last 72 hours, quarantine for 2 days including further test. If negative, then take charter flight to Bournemouth, avoiding airport except for security. Bussed to hotel in Southampton for 2 days quarantine including further test. If all clear then can join ship.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

What amazes me is that the passenger took the correct steps to notify the authorities and Hurtigurten did nothing. The reports indicate that the initial crew infected were not Norwegian nationals.

What seems to be a concern here is that crew are testing negative in their home country, then travelling to board ships and finding they have the virus on arrival.

I've heard suggestions that P&O were looking end to end bubbles. So crew arrive a foreign hotel with negative test in last 72 hours, quarantine for 2 days including further test. If negative, then take charter flight to Bournemouth, avoiding airport except for security. Bussed to hotel in Southampton for 2 days quarantine including further test. If all clear then can join ship.

In MHO far to early to use us as guinea pigs. 3 attempts and 3 failures.They rolled the dice and lost!

The crew and staff will pay for there folly with there jobs. Awful!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

The trouble is, they can’t bubble passengers before they get on.

Unless passengers quarantine themselves for 14 days before the cruise, a passenger could easily bring the virus on board, and start spreading it around, without even realising. 

Once someone starts showing symptoms, the cruise would be effectively over 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Sounds much more sensible.

Look at the Premier League footballers. All tested twice a week, one or two cases on a few weeks (all without symptoms I believe) . Those who tested positive self isolated and then came back. They all hug still when they scored goals - and no one got actually ill and all the games were played.