Covid infected crew on ship in Norway that had passengers

13 minutes ago, Bobal said:

I'm not surprised really. The big number posters on this board won't consider it worth a comment.  It's not sailing from the US, no suites, no superior status- really not worth their attention. 😉

It ought to be though, since this is unfortunately prescient of what's likely to come,  regardless of where or when a cruise sails for the foreseeable future.

Sadly you’re right. As I write this there are 24 pages of preening on the ‘Please stop the Suite/Tier Negativity’ thread. At the same time, the outcome of one of the few cruises in the last 4 months goes unnoticed 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Looks like we'll need testing real time with high accuracy and vaccine before cruising, and also world wide low cases or restriction of people from places with outbreaks... I think no US or US people cruising till mid 2021 at the earliest.

One of the Best and most Realistic assessments stated on this forum. Too much at risk to think otherwise. 

Stay Safe

7 hours ago, Bobal said:

And this, I believe, is the crux of the matter when cruising restarts.

There is so much talk on here - particularly by those who are desparate to cruise again - about what measures could and should be taken to make it happen - masks/distancing/checks/reduced capacity/only booking out balcony cabins etc. However whatever precautions are taken for the guests there are still going to be crew sharing very small cabins and working and living in close proximity. Whatever checks and quarantines are done on crew before boarding it only takes one or two positive cases to spread very quickly.

The crux of the issue is that there is no way to keep Rona off ships to begin with unless it’s gone (herd immunity) or there’s a vax.  Don’t know how it’s possible for so many on these boards that can’t comprehend this.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Billy Baltic said:

Sadly you’re right. As I write this there are 24 pages of preening on the ‘Please stop the Suite/Tier Negativity’ thread. At the same time, the outcome of one of the few cruises in the last 4 months goes unnoticed 🤷‍♂️

Yes, i agree. That - and a few other threads- have made me wish there was a 🙄 emoji or a shaking head. But the smug playground bullies and their fanbase persist and their post count goes up.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Yes, I agree. That - and a few other threads- have made me wish there was a 🙄 emoji or a shaking head. But the smug playground bullies and their fanbase persist and their post count goes up.

Hang in there. Don't allow them to take over. Numbers mean nothing. One quality statement is worth more than 10 non-value collection of meaningless words. 

Stay Safe

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Yes, i agree. That - and a few other threads- have made me wish there was a 🙄 emoji or a shaking head. But the smug playground bullies and their fanbase persist and their post count goes up.

Someone can post something and 10 people see it 10 ways. It's nearly impossible to post anything and have no one get offended by it. If you see something that you think it against the rules, click the 'report post' button in the upper right hand corner and the mods will take care of it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Here we go again crew and passengers being quarantined.  The fact they let passengers go ashore while testing some crew members that were sick enough to have to go hospital is unacceptable. 

Bad business..

Give them credit. They are taking one for the team so all the cruise lines can now go back to the drawing board to come up with a better safety plan.

• Like 4

for what it's worth it's a good learning experience. Hope Royal takes notes.
Good thing it was a small ship, with app. one tenth of an Oasis class capacity.
That's a lot of quarantine hotel rooms.... 

3 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

I’m surprised this thread is so quiet.

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised.  Other side of the world, so. . .out of sight, out of mind.

And there are many around here who have their heads stuck in the sand and won't or refuse to acknowledge how much of a problem and how contagious COVID is.  I love cruising myself, but until the cruise lines get their act together and EVERYONE is willing to religiously follow mitigation strategies on the ships, I don't see cruising happening any time in the near future for me or anyone else no matter where they're located on this Third Rock from the Sun.  I know a couple of fellow cruisers who generally cruise out of Charleston who told me that if masks were required when cruising started back that they would wear them through the embarkation process, and then (in their words) "Carnival would 'play hell' getting them to ever put them on again after that."  With attitudes like that, I don't see me ever being able or feeling comfortable enough to take another cruise any time soon.

Edited by NuisanceLuke
ETA: a couple of words
  • Like 4

Ship let passengers off, due to a chain of bad judgement (my opinion); eg. failure to comply with advice from our 'cdc'. Nevertheless the general concent in Norway is of critisism towards how Hurtigruten has handled this. With proper protocols and commitment to follow these, the situation might have been under control.

In hindsight and all that..... 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tsundet said:

Ship let passengers off, due to a chain of bad judgement (my opinion); eg. failure to comply with advice from our 'cdc'. Nevertheless the general concent in Norway is of critisism towards how Hurtigruten has handled this. With proper protocols and commitment to follow these, the situation might have been under control.

In hindsight and all that..... 🙂

Has your version of our CDC made any statements?  Are future cruises cancelled for Hurtigruten?  We all had high hopes...so sad this has happened. 

3 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

I can’t see how any large ships can resume cruising. For me, the main hope is that an existing drug will be found to be successful in treating the symptoms.

Getting a vaccine developed, tested, manufactured and administrated to billions of people will take longer than existing cruise lines have. 

46 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

41 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Yes, i agree. That - and a few other threads- have made me wish there was a 🙄 emoji or a shaking head. 

Couldn't agree more.

34 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Sure seems like it could happen. 

26 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Not good for the cruise industry. 

@Billy Baltic, @A&L_Ont, @Milwaukee Eight - a "sad" button is thoroughly missed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Has your version of our CDC made any statements?  Are future cruises cancelled for Hurtigruten?  We all had high hopes...so sad this has happened. 

FHI (in Norway) advised Hurtigruten to notify passengers who disembarked on the 24th after a passenger on this cruise tested positive. This was not done, for reasons unknown to me. Hurtigruten pretty much lies down flat now and works closely with the authorities tracing the infection. Still a few passengers they can't reach though... 

Next cruise not planned until September. Don't know if this was already scheduled, or a result of the latest events.... 

Edited by tsundet
new info added
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tsundet said:

FHI (in Norway) advised Hurtigruten to notify passengers who disembarked on the 24th after a passenger on this cruise tested positive. This was not done, for reasons unknown to me. Hurtigruten pretty much lies down flat now and works closely with the authorities tracing the infection. Still a few passengers they can't reach though... 

I wonder if FHI had not advised them if they would have, on their own, been transparent about the situation. 

Were all the passengers Norwegian?  Some of these experimental cruises are limiting the nationalities of passengers. For those that have to quarantine outside of their countries, it presents another set of problems.  

Just now, livingonthebeach said:

I wonder if FHI had not advised them if they would have, on their own, been transparent about the situation. 

Were all the passengers Norwegian?  Some of these experimental cruises are limiting the nationalities of passengers. For those that have to quarantine outside of their countries, it presents another set of problems.  

who knows. It's a bit unclear to me, but seems they made their own assessments and deemed it unnecessary.

On their website, Hurtigruten has listed contact numbers in Norway, Germany, UK, US and France for affected customers (present and future cruises I guess) My guess that's got something to do with the passengers nationalities.

Other than that, Europe's been open for quarantine free travel for some weeks. In theory the passengers could be from all over... 

3 minutes ago, tsundet said:

Other than that, Europe's been open for quarantine free travel for some weeks. In theory the passengers could be from all over... 

What I am reading has a little more of a positive twist on the situation. 

They state all passengers had to register mobile numbers and that text went out to all passengers from the 17th and 24th of July sailings. 

Seems contact tracing has worked very well for Norway and 69 community health offices around country have been activated. 

1 hour ago, sfaaa said:

Give them credit. They are taking one for the team so all the cruise lines can now go back to the drawing board to come up with a better safety plan.

There is no thing as a better safety plan.