Cruise line execs call for return to service in United States

jimbo5544

25 minutes ago, shof515 said:

hopefully TUI, MSC and Costa successfully cruises allows our government and the CDC to change their minds and allows cruises from USA again. I got a bad feeling the CDC will extend the no sail order

What in the world would give you that feeling😎

Would you really expect cruise industry CEOs to say anything else?

Aren't bar owners asking for bars to be allowed to reopen? Aren't gym owners asking for gyms to be allowed to reopen?

Edited by ontheweb
added second paragraph
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

hopefully TUI, MSC and Costa successfully cruises allows our government and the CDC to change their minds and allows cruises from USA again. I got a bad feeling the CDC will extend the no sail order

Once the CDC gives the okay for cruises to start, I'm wondering if the home port cities will be ready to comply., especially if their cases of Covid-19 are still high. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

Once the CDC gives the okay for cruises to start, I'm wondering if the home port cities will be ready to comply., especially if their cases of Covid-19 are still high. 

I think Fort Lauderdale is beyond ready.  They have been extending any aid they can.   

• Like 1

So, random somewhat-related question. If cruiselines require a rapid Covid-19 test within X number of days/hours before sailing (like some countries do before flying in), how do you get access to that? I don't know that getting a test without any symptoms is currently that easy in my area. Maybe I'm misinformed, but just curious about availability. 

Edited by Runaway Parent
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, coevan said:

How do you think they will screen 3-4K tests at embarkation at each port? They are not, a logistical nightmare 

MSC seems to have figured out the logistics of every pax being tested at the pier before embarkation. Seems there is a one hour wait between the test and getting the results back. 
Very encouraging. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I actually think there is a good chance cruising will resume on some basis. It's getting later and later to cancel November cruises. 

Even if they are able to resume in November, there will be alot of cancellations in November.

MSC restarted with one ship.  I think Costa plans to have 3 ships by November sailing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Even if they are able to resume in November, there will be alot of cancellations in November.

MSC restarted with one ship.  I think Costa plans to have 3 ships by November sailing.

I said started soonish on some basis. Who knows, but I think at least it's being considered which with the no sail order thru sept I dont think they were. 

I'm not booked until February but I'm starting to have hope. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Runaway Parent said:

So, random somewhat-related question. If cruiselines require a rapid Covid-19 test within X number of days/hours before sailing (like some countries do before flying in), how do you get access to that? I don't know that getting a test without any symptoms is currently that easy in my area. Maybe I'm misinformed, but just curious about availability. 

I suspect they will follow MSCs lead and do rapid testing at embarkation. Avoids the issue of someone not getting a result back in time or potential forgery of test results.

CDC was not part of the call, it was an effort to get local government involved in pressuring CDC, which likely won't work.  Comparing US cruises to European cruises is not valid, as the European model allows for the cruise line to reach agreement with ports to allow infected and quarantined passengers to be disembarked for treatment/quarantine ashore, while CDC does not want either treatment or quarantine to impact any local, state, or federal infrastructure.  And, even if CDC lifts the no sail order, they can make the same requirements that are in the no sail order to be the new requirements for ships requesting "pratique", or health clearance, before entering US ports, which would just do the same thing as the no sail order.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Would you really expect cruise industry CEOs to say anything else?

Aren't bar owners asking for bars to be allowed to reopen? Aren't gym owners asking for gyms to be allowed to reopen?

Bars opened in Florida yesterday 😉

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

CDC was not part of the call, it was an effort to get local government involved in pressuring CDC, which likely won't work.  Comparing US cruises to European cruises is not valid, as the European model allows for the cruise line to reach agreement with ports to allow infected and quarantined passengers to be disembarked for treatment/quarantine ashore, while CDC does not want either treatment or quarantine to impact any local, state, or federal infrastructure.  And, even if CDC lifts the no sail order, they can make the same requirements that are in the no sail order to be the new requirements for ships requesting "pratique", or health clearance, before entering US ports, which would just do the same thing as the no sail order.

Chief, we have to start somewhere,.  You and I both know the real plan the CDC wants in untenable at this point.  Pressure from the outside might help.  Micky’s and friends do have connections, one can hope.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

A lot of them are open. 

You're missing ontheweb's point. Of course cruise lines want to resume sailing, the same way any business under restrictions due to Covid wants them lifted. What else do you expect them to say?

I don't know that them saying it changes anything or makes us closer to cruises resuming though.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I suspect they will follow MSCs lead and do rapid testing at embarkation. Avoids the issue of someone not getting a result back in time or potential forgery of test results.

But the reliability of these tests is a problem. False positives (up to 5% of those tested) would leave 1 in 20 healthy would be cruisers standing at the dock. People won't want to take that chance. And false negatives (as high a 37%, but some are admittedly much better) could be even worse by allowing infected cruisers on the ship.

In the end, however they do it there are going to be some Covid infected cruisers on the ship at times. So the only path I can see forward is to wait for a vaccine that protects you from infection or at least makes the infection much less severe.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

But the reliability of these tests is a problem. False positives (up to 5% of those tested) would leave 1 in 20 healthy would be cruisers standing at the dock. People won't want to take that chance. And false negatives (as high a 37%, but some are admittedly much better) could be even worse by allowing infected cruisers on the ship.

In the end, however they do it there are going to be some Covid infected cruisers on the ship at times. So the only path I can see forward is to wait for a vaccine that protects you from infection or at least makes the infection much less severe.

And a false positive can affect more than the 5% who actually get that result. It can also affect those who were on the same transfer to the ship.