Vaccination Certificate required for Travel

lkettle

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

Boots I would assume does not have priority over the NHS for supplies and obviously does not buy as much, I could be wrong.

It could also have something to do with the fact that Boots are struggling financially at the moment so won't be able to buy as much in.

Avril

• Like 2

As I understand it some may get symptoms after the flu jab but you don't actually have flu. Apparently the vaccine is made up of fragments of the virus which trigger an immune response and prime you with antibodies. Obviously the fragments can't reproduce. Should have my flu jab on Friday at the local Lloyds, however they cancelled the last appointment in September 😬

I guess many if us will have received the email from Princess today, detailing their CV19 protocols. I imagine that P&O protocols will be virtually identical.

As other lines have done, they make a great deal about pre-transport testing. Am I alone in thinking that this is virtually unworkable?

The test cannot (or should not) be done by the NHS, so you will have to visit a private centre, possibly some distance from your home, and cough up (!) £179. You then hope you get the required paperwork with the specified period. Alternatively you do the test via postal swabs (not sure I want to stick  a cotton wool bud so far up my nose that my eyes will water), but almost inevitably the time scale involved will fall outside Princess parameters.

Seems to me that Princess, like other cruise lines, are being far too optimistic in how they imagine testing can be carried out within a tightly defined time frame.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I guess many if us will have received the email from Princess today, detailing their CV19 protocols. I imagine that P&O protocols will be virtually identical.

As other lines have done, they make a great deal about pre-transport testing. Am I alone in thinking that this is virtually unworkable?

The test cannot (or should not) be done by the NHS, so you will have to visit a private centre, possibly some distance from your home, and cough up (!) £179. You then hope you get the required paperwork with the specified period. Alternatively you do the test via postal swabs (not sure I want to stick  a cotton wool bud so far up my nose that my eyes will water), but almost inevitably the time scale involved will fall outside Princess parameters.

Seems to me that Princess, like other cruise lines, are being far too optimistic in how they imagine testing can be carried out within a tightly defined time frame.

Wowzz, do you know for certain that the NHS will not permit you to have a test prior to your cruise? An article in our local paper about a new test facility to be set up in town says that once the current backlog is clear testing will be available to anyone, if so that should enable you to use this facility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

The new rapid tests could make a huge difference though.

20 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Wowzz, do you know for certain that the NHS will not permit you to have a test prior to your cruise? An article in our local paper about a new test facility to be set up in town says that once the current backlog is clear testing will be available to anyone, if so that should enable you to use this facility.

17 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

The new rapid tests could make a huge difference though.

I suppose that once the spike is over, and if the new speedy tests are more accurate than they currently are, then pre-transport tests may be the way forward. 

But I'm not sure that we will be in that position until late next year.

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I suppose that once the spike is over, and if the new speedy tests are more accurate than they currently are, then pre-transport tests may be the way forward. 

But I'm not sure that we will be in that position until late next year.

Late next year seems very pessimistic.

2 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Chances are if you need a certificate for travel purposes you will have to pay for it the same has you do for some vaccinations now.

I agree. Can’t see tests being free especially if you go away several times a year.

38 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

NHS tests shouldn't be used unless you have symptoms,  or you are tracked and traced.  In either case you should stay at home. NHS do not issue certificates. 

Have to cough up £150 for private test.

BA has a deal for its passengers with a private test company for passengers going to country that requires a 72hr certificate,  price is down to £90. Perhaps Carnival could do the ssme

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

I haven't sailed with Princess, but no doubt P&O and Cunard will be similar.

As I said a few days ago, my desire to cruise isn't sufficient to add all that to my pre cruise ritual.

As the pre-cruise experience  (and the cruise itself) will be very different to what I booked in 2019, I am wondering if they will allow no quibble cancellations, as per the ABTA rules.  My feeling is no, they'll still try and claim the cruise hasn't changed compared to what was originally sold. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bloodaxe said:

Chances are if you need a certificate for travel purposes you will have to pay for it the same has you do for some vaccinations now.

There is a technical difference between the need to have say a Yellow fever jab because a cruise visits somewhere that it is endemic, and the need for a negative test to board the ship  because of disease in your home country.

Edited by terrierjohn

46 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

There is a technical difference between the need to have say a Yellow fever jab because a cruise visits somewhere that it is endemic, and the need for a negative test to board the ship  because of disease in your home country.

And in the "old" days it was free, (when I had one) and now you have to pay - quite rightly imho.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

And in the "old" days it was free, (when I had one) and now you have to pay - quite rightly imho.

Do you believe that they are the same?  I would assume that if a negative test is part of the govts regulations allowing you to cruise  then the test should be free, and what about the possibility of everyone needing a negative test to enter another country  whether on business or for a holiday?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Do you believe that they are the same?  I would assume that if a negative test is part of the govts regulations allowing you to cruise  then the test should be free, and what about the possibility of everyone needing a negative test to enter another country  whether on business or for a holiday?

That is an interesting point, and worthy of discussion.  I suppose that if a certificate is needed for discretionary purposes, it should be chargeable. After all, why should those wishing to go on a cruise get a free test, whereas if they stayed in the UK they would not need a test at all?

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That is an interesting point, and worthy of discussion.  I suppose that if a certificate is needed for discretionary purposes, it should be chargeable. After all, why should those wishing to go on a cruise get a free test, whereas if they stayed in the UK they would not need a test at all?

If all holidaymakers were to require a negative test, then I imagine TUI, Jet2 and all the other package tour operators will join with P&O to lobby the govt to provide free tests.

Edited by terrierjohn

59 minutes ago, wowzz said:

After all, why should those wishing to go on a cruise get a free test, whereas if they stayed in the UK they would not need a test at all?

Good point Wowzz .Maybe it should be means tested. For me it would not seem right for lets say a couple who earn

20k each and their two kids jetting or sailing of to some sunny place expecting "free tests " all round .

Whilst a couple one zero hours part time worker and his partner  part time office cleaner ,taking their two kids on a few days camping in the UK ,having no need of a test certificate.

The NHS would seem to supporting a reasonably well off family ,whilst the poorer ones are taking nothing from the pot.

Edited by kalos

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

We have a Princess cruise booked for May 2021 but have not had this notification yet.

If you had to have a pre cruise test where would you have it? The only test centre near me is a drive in one several miles away and good luck booking an appointment there. You can't walk in or use public transport either. This nasal swab business is not for me, I only have one fully functioning nostril the other one being obstructed by bone, so a home test kit is out, no way could I stick a long cotton bud up my nose 😱

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davecttr said:

If you had to have a pre cruise test where would you have it? The only test centre near me is a drive in one several miles away and good luck booking an appointment there. You can't walk in or use public transport either. This nasal swab business is not for me, I only have one fully functioning nostril the other one being obstructed by bone, so a home test kit is out, no way could I stick a long cotton bud up my nose 😱

A couple of regulars on RC threads have described that test as extremely uncomfortable.

21 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

A couple of regulars on RC threads have described that test as extremely uncomfortable.

My niece has had the test several times, when she was working and since she has been off sick and going for treatment. She said that it is very uncomfortable and said that anyone who has to have one should be told to make sure that they have tissues handy because the swab is pushed so far up your nose that it makes your eyes water.

5 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

As the pre-cruise experience  (and the cruise itself) will be very different to what I booked in 2019, I am wondering if they will allow no quibble cancellations, as per the ABTA rules.  My feeling is no, they'll still try and claim the cruise hasn't changed compared to what was originally sold. 

I think that the point will be:

Chance to change/cancel for free when cruises become safe (possible to change, unlikely to be allowed to cancel).

The interesting point of this is if a cruise company tries to require a test (at the prospective passengers charge) before embarkation, then does this become part of the cost of delivering the package to the provider, as they need to see the evidence to safely set sail? 

In such circumstances, the tour provider has to absorb some of the cost instead of passing it all on...for this reason, all cruise companies will push in the direction of "paid for" testing.

I don't think that it is the same as a vaccination, which is optional, and/or travel insurance which is understood by the customer to be mandatory at the point of sale.  This is different and a clear change to the holiday contract.  I wouldn't be paying for a private test, absolutely no way.

Not sure that I see the £150 "cruise surcharge" going down too well... keep in that strict quarantine for 14 days before you cruise is actually more effective, even if less palatable.