Which staff level still receives a fixed salary?

Kbonner

Those staff not currently based on a ship, but staying home: up to/down to  what level of position senior staff still gets a 365 fixed salary in today's Covid world?

I guess captains,

hotel directors?

food&beverage directors?,

chefs?

cruise director?,

guest service manager?

Anybody knows?

46 minutes ago, Kbonner said:

Those staff not currently based on a ship, but staying home: up to/down to  what level of position senior staff still gets a 365 fixed salary in today's Covid world?

I guess captains,

hotel directors?

food&beverage directors?,

chefs?

cruise director?,

guest service manager?

Anybody knows?

I would imagine only those that are currently rotating on and off the ship.

I can tell you that cruise directors are not.  One of the cruise directors is working at Publix and driving for Uber Eats

Many have a fixed salary when onboard. 

Those who get it when not onbaord I think (but could be completely wrong) are the the steering committee, those with no one else above them (with the exception of the captain who is above everyone), eg (but not 100%). Captain, staff captain, HD, chief safety, and maybe doctors. 

People like the cruise director, chefs, GSM still have someone above them they report to. 

Even then, carnival recently got rid of many of those positions that were still being paid while at home, so who knows how long/if they are still getting 100% of what they usually would.

I know royal have cut quarantine pay for crew onboard...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I would imagine only those that are currently rotating on and off the ship.

I can tell you that cruise directors are not.  One of the cruise directors is working at Publix and driving for Uber Eats

He actually does door dash.  I follow him on FB.

But, yes, the staff rotating on and off are being paid of course because they are working. And, the Captains are still rotating, but it appears for longer periods of time which make sense.  10 weeks on, 10 off would be a pain with quarantine, testing, etc so it's easier to keep them longer.  I'd be willing to bet the Captain, bridge officers and engineering staff are all being paid normally as they are still working the way they always have to keep the ship running and safe.  As for any crew onboard, they're still working, but not taking care of passengers, but they are taking care of the staff and other crew.  Laundry still has to be done, meals made, cleaning done, repairs made, etc.  

Edited by BND

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

One of the cruise directors is working at Publix and driving for Uber Eats

I follow him too. I must say he keeps a very positive attitude and tries very hard to make the best of his situation.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BND said:

He actually does door dash.  I follow him on FB.

He has been at Publix more lately from his posts, but I think he still does both. All that being said, he has not stopped working since he came back to land and does it with a positive attitude. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

He has been at Publix more lately from his posts, but I think he still does both. All that being said, he has not stopped working since he came back to land and does it with a positive attitude. 

That is true.  He has family to take care of and he does it with a smile.  He is just such a people person that both jobs are right in his wheelhouse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Now that Florida has opened back up, I think Mark mentioned the Door Dash slowing down, as many customers are choosing to visit restaurants for meals as opposed to ordering delivery.

None of those are actually full time positions.  Limited marine & safety positions are probably still rotated out on an otherwise normal schedule and probably a handful of hotel staff for galley, mess & crew quarters maintenance.  

The only ones with typical 'full time' jobs are at corporate.

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I had seen a post that he was only getting four hours a week at Publix.  If he is getting more now, that is great.  I know the food delivery wasn't too busy for him.  I hope he got a new name tag though, that K really caused a commotion when I brought up his name before, let alone when I said Uber eats lol🙄

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

I'm sure everyone who is working on a ship is getting paid.  The captains aren't there alone.

The question was who gets paid 365 days a year , even if they're not onbaord. 

Captains get paid all year, even when they're home. 

The majority of crew only get paid when working.

48 minutes ago, GarlicBread said:

The question was who gets paid 365 days a year , even if they're not onbaord. 

Captains get paid all year, even when they're home. 

The majority of crew only get paid when working.

Well, yes and no.  The way that most officer salaries are set up, the amount they are paid while working is divided up and some is paid while working, and some is paid while ashore.  For example, if the officer gets $10,000 per month in salary, and he is on a "one and one" contract (one month vacation for one month worked), then he gets paid $5000 per month while working, and $5000 per month while on vacation.  However, if he is home for more months than he has worked, the pay stops, you only get vacation pay based on the actual days worked.  And, some companies, and some positions only get half a day of vacation for every day worked (one month vacation for every two months worked), yet they almost invariably take equal time off (two months vacation for every two months worked), so they only get paid 9 months a year.  "Permanent" employees are generally deck and engine officers two stripe and above, and hotel supervisors three stripe and above.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Captain Kate said she is getting paid the same. She has been on Edge for over 300 days now, waiting for her relief and a long vacation. I presume it will be awhile before things settle back to the usual 10 weeks on/10 weeks off routine.

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

I had seen a post that he was only getting four hours a week at Publix.  If he is getting more now, that is great.  I know the food delivery wasn't too busy for him.  I hope he got a new name tag though, that K really caused a commotion when I brought up his name before, let alone when I said Uber eats lol🙄

Troublemaker😳😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

Captain Kate said she is getting paid the same. She has been on Edge for over 300 days now, waiting for her relief and a long vacation. I presume it will be awhile before things settle back to the usual 10 weeks on/10 weeks off routine.

Of course she is getting paid the same, as long as she is working on the ship, the pay continues.  That was not the OP's question.

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Of course she is getting paid the same, as long as she is working on the ship, the pay continues.  That was not the OP's question.

One might think that  would be getting paid extra since she has been on-board for 300 days without a vacation.  Based on the Captains ration of a day on and a day off salary structure I doubt that once  her replacement boards she will get a 300+ day vacation.

No it wasn't the initial question but like pretty much every thread in CC they tend to veer off in different directions. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

One might think that  would be getting paid extra since she has been on-board for 300 days without a vacation.  Based on the Captains ration of a day on and a day off salary structure I doubt that once  her replacement boards she will get a 300+ day vacation.

No it wasn't the initial question but like pretty much every thread in CC they tend to veer off in different directions. 

Someone asked her if the pay was the same, or whether it was less due to the shutdown or budget cuts. So it wasn't obvious to everyone. I'm sorry for bringing it up though.

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, yes and no.  The way that most officer salaries are set up, the amount they are paid while working is divided up and some is paid while working, and some is paid while ashore.  For example, if the officer gets $10,000 per month in salary, and he is on a "one and one" contract (one month vacation for one month worked), then he gets paid $5000 per month while working, and $5000 per month while on vacation.  However, if he is home for more months than he has worked, the pay stops, you only get vacation pay based on the actual days worked.  And, some companies, and some positions only get half a day of vacation for every day worked (one month vacation for every two months worked), yet they almost invariably take equal time off (two months vacation for every two months worked), so they only get paid 9 months a year.  "Permanent" employees are generally deck and engine officers two stripe and above, and hotel supervisors three stripe and above.

Waiters, housekeeping and guest Services not getting paid. Also bands not getting paid either

10 hours ago, grneyes said:

Waiters, housekeeping and guest Services not getting paid. Also bands not getting paid either

That is correct.  You will note that my comments referred to "officers" only.  95% of the ship's crew are contract workers who even in normal times do not get paid while on vacation.

• Thanks 1