Jump to content

COVID-19 Surging Across Europe


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

 

Probably more than "several months."  Scanned the directive and believe it make sense as a follow-on to the expiring "no sail" order.  It provides a way forward for cruise lines to resume cruising.  However, it is a very challenging list of conditions which must be met to include simulated cruises, frequent testing, onboard limitations and 7-day cruise limits.

 

And today we read that yesterday the US reached a new high in the number of infections: 98,000, an increase over the 90,000 from Thursday.  And over 1,000 deaths.  The trend is moving the wrong direction!!!  In Europe the UK is serious about a lockdown to stop its expanding virus spread.  Not a time to celebrate yet.

 

No, it's not, but it is at least a path forward.  I agree with you that it may be more than several months, I told a friend yesterday I would be surprised if any cruises begin before end of 1st Qtr 2021.  But at least it is a beginning.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Miaminice said:


we are not all Japanese tho 😉

 

This for some odd reason reminded me of the 1980 song by The Vapors.  Go figure.  Just a weird thought and maybe some humor today.  No offense to anybody.  It is a very well known stanza - a blast from the past!😀

 

I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so
Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so
I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so
Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

This for some odd reason reminded me of the 1980 song by The Vapors.  Go figure.  Just a weird thought and maybe some humor today.  No offense to anybody.  It is a very well known stanza - a blast from the past!😀

 

I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so
Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so
I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so
Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think

Best version of the song was done by Perry Como on Second City TV (circa 1982).

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

This for some odd reason reminded me of the 1980 song by The Vapors.  Go figure.  Just a weird thought and maybe some humor today.  No offense to anybody.  It is a very well known stanza - a blast from the past!😀

 

I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so
Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so
I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so
Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think

Certainly no offense to me, Tee. However, what many pop-culture Americans believed that phrase to mean in 1980 could very well be derogatory to some folks. To those of us not offended by any interpretation of lyrics, no problem. Here we go now, sing along with me.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Certainly no offense to me, Tee. However, what many pop-culture Americans believed that phrase to mean in 1980 could very well be derogatory to some folks. To those of us not offended by any interpretation of lyrics, no problem. Here we go now, sing along with me.  

Hard to get the verse out of your head right?  Sorry for that.  I have no idea what Americans believed about this song in 1980 and hopefully everybody knows that there was no derogatory intention at all from me. Just a song.  I do not want to waste another minute on it here and hijack a useful thread.  My apologies everybody!  I now recall all the flack over the Celebrity Jefferson Airplane song on their Edge commercial.

Edited by TeeRick
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Hard to get the verse out of your head right?  Sorry for that.  I have no idea what Americans believed about this song in 1980 and hopefully everybody knows that there was no derogatory intention at all from me. Just a song.  I do not want to waste another minute on it here and hijack a useful thread.  My apologies everybody!  I now recall all the flack over the Celebrity Jefferson Airplane song on their Edge commercial.

that timeframes was when Japan was dominating manufacturing and the japanese was buying up properties in the US.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ponant ship "stuck" in Sicily due to Covid cases has been allowed to head to France:

 

The yacht-cruise ship Jacques Cartier is setting sail for France this afternoon after being docked in Italy for five days following a coronavirus outbreak on board.

The 60 passengers and 93 crew had been anchored in the Sicilian port of Syracuse since Monday, when two cases of coronavirus were reported.
 

On Wednesday, the number of positive tests had increased to three passengers and eight crew.

The cruise company said passengers were immediately placed in isolation in their cabins and none of those who tested positive showed any critical symptoms.

It added two more people had tested positive for Covid-19 today.

One passenger told Le Monde newspaper: "It started at our first stopover last Monday

"We were arriving from Malta, departing from the cruise, and were due to disembark in Syracuse, when, without explanation, we were denied access to land.

"We ended up learning at midday that there were two cases of Covid in the crew.

"Then, that evening at dinner, a couple experienced the first symptoms and presented to the doctor."

The guest said there had been fears the ship would have to stay in Syracuse for 10 days.

However, Italian authorities have allowed the ship to sail to France, where passengers will disembark under the control of the French authorities.

 

https://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2044894

 

https://www.lemonde.fr/economie/article/2020/10/30/une-croisiere-de-luxe-perturbee-par-le-coronavirus_6057874_3234.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

The Ponant ship "stuck" in Sicily due to Covid cases has been allowed to head to France:

 

The yacht-cruise ship Jacques Cartier is setting sail for France this afternoon after being docked in Italy for five days following a coronavirus outbreak on board.

The 60 passengers and 93 crew had been anchored in the Sicilian port of Syracuse since Monday, when two cases of coronavirus were reported.
 

On Wednesday, the number of positive tests had increased to three passengers and eight crew.

The cruise company said passengers were immediately placed in isolation in their cabins and none of those who tested positive showed any critical symptoms.

It added two more people had tested positive for Covid-19 today.

One passenger told Le Monde newspaper: "It started at our first stopover last Monday

"We were arriving from Malta, departing from the cruise, and were due to disembark in Syracuse, when, without explanation, we were denied access to land.

"We ended up learning at midday that there were two cases of Covid in the crew.

"Then, that evening at dinner, a couple experienced the first symptoms and presented to the doctor."

The guest said there had been fears the ship would have to stay in Syracuse for 10 days.

However, Italian authorities have allowed the ship to sail to France, where passengers will disembark under the control of the French authorities.

 

https://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2044894

 

https://www.lemonde.fr/economie/article/2020/10/30/une-croisiere-de-luxe-perturbee-par-le-coronavirus_6057874_3234.html

 

And it seems smart to start up cruising from US ports? :classic_dry:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Due to our increased cases we a "Lockdown" for 4 weeks from Nov 5th to Dec 2nd this is in the hope families can spend Christmas together. This time around schools colleges and universities will stay open, but restaurants can only do takeaway service and bars, gyms hairdressers closed.

The supermarkets will be raided today by folks thinking toilet paper will be in short supply,  yesterday lockdown was anticipated and there are pictures of trolleys full of bottled water, toilet paper and long life milk!!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

Due to our increased cases we a "Lockdown" for 4 weeks from Nov 5th to Dec 2nd this is in the hope families can spend Christmas together. This time around schools colleges and universities will stay open, but restaurants can only do takeaway service and bars, gyms hairdressers closed.

The supermarkets will be raided today by folks thinking toilet paper will be in short supply,  yesterday lockdown was anticipated and there are pictures of trolleys full of bottled water, toilet paper and long life milk!!  

 

Look on the bright side, there will be great bargains on large turkeys as everyone tries to bag a small one or a couple of chicken breasts! 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, chemmo said:

 

Look on the bright side, there will be great bargains on large turkeys as everyone tries to bag a small one or a couple of chicken breasts! 

 

 

 

Good Morning, we eat a lot of chicken and fish day to day and rarely eat red meat so a nice sirloin joint is our Christmas treat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, emmas gran said:

 

The supermarkets will be raided today by folks thinking toilet paper will be in short supply,  yesterday lockdown was anticipated and there are pictures of trolleys full of bottled water, toilet paper and 

friend’s got the virus a couple of weeks ago in the UK , they did go though more TP than the usually use 😱

Link to post
Share on other sites

Europe's restrictions are likely the best way to limit transmission of the coronavirus, as disrupting as it is.  Just looked at the history is Australia and cases peaked in August - winter in the southern hemisphere.  We in the northern hemisphere have not experienced COVID-19 during winter months.  As cases accelerate to new peaks in the US with the arrival of colder months and people head indoors we could be in for a very challenging winter.  Hope not.  Mitigating, wearing of PPE and distancing as well as limiting travel to essentials, must be everyone's first choice and responsibility.  

 

The "new" directive from CDC does little to restart cruising before winter.  Expect that early to mid-spring, IF everything goes well and people cooperate, and that is a big IF, we might see a few ships under way in the Caribbean.  The upcoming holiday season will be watched closely and hopefully carefully managed by both governments and citizens.  We are being careful.  No cruises for us (two cancelled awaiting refunds and one still on the nooks for February).  Close brush with the virus this past February on a cruise to New Orleans arriving back in Port Canaveral 2 March.  We spent about 2 hours in the stands along the parade route Monday before Mardi Gras and had plans to walk Bourbon Street on Tuesday cancelled be cause of weather.  Thankfully!  Too many cases of the virus were reported out of New Orleans primarily from the crowds on Bourbon Street.  

 

US grocery stores are stocked with TP!  No runs yet (pun intended).  Still have a case in the garage we ordered from Amazon!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually,  in some places there are already shortages of "regular " brand paper towels,  some tp..pine sol. No real  Purell ever.  We  stay well-stocked  without hoarding here in NY, and hope we stocked up before we left Fla in Feb.. & could not get back due to cancelled flights.

 

Well said by Ride the Waves:

"Mitigating, wearing of PPE and distancing as well as limiting travel to essentials, must be everyone's first choice and responsibility.  "

 

best approach...no coercion or  gov fiats!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Due to our increased cases we a "Lockdown" for 4 weeks from Nov 5th to Dec 2nd this is in the hope families can spend Christmas together. This time around schools colleges and universities will stay open, but restaurants can only do takeaway service and bars, gyms hairdressers closed.

The supermarkets will be raided today by folks thinking toilet paper will be in short supply,  yesterday lockdown was anticipated and there are pictures of trolleys full of bottled water, toilet paper and long life milk!!  

This is not a vent at you - but can someone tell me why people feel they need to horde large quantities of bottled water?  I just don't get it.  Do people really think the apocalypse is coming and entire municipalities will grind to a halt?  If that ever were to happen, having a bit of bottled water on hand would be the least of our worries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

This is not a vent at you - but can someone tell me why people feel they need to horde large quantities of bottled water?  I just don't get it.  Do people really think the apocalypse is coming and entire municipalities will grind to a halt?  If that ever were to happen, having a bit of bottled water on hand would be the least of our worries.

We never buy bottled water, but I do know families who shun tap water and will only drink the bottled variety. I guess those are the ones stocking up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

We never buy bottled water, but I do know families who shun tap water and will only drink the bottled variety. I guess those are the ones stocking up.

I buy small cases of water to have in my work truck , you never know when you will need a drink 

at home we on town water, but we do have  a tap were the water goes though one 5 micron filter and 2 carbon filters, it does make it taste better 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Airbalancer said:

I buy small cases of water to have in my work truck , you never know when you will need a drink 

at home we on town water, but we do have  a tap were the water goes though one 5 micron filter and 2 carbon filters, it does make it taste better 

Call me a COVID hoarder, we have 6 cases of bottled water, 12 gallons distilled water for the humidifier, 18 rolls of paper towels, 36 rolls of TP and 6 cases of wine.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Call me a COVID hoarder, we have 6 cases of bottled water, 12 gallons distilled water for the humidifier, 18 rolls of paper towels, 36 rolls of TP and 6 cases of wine.  

I can understand the 6 cases of wine 😉

who needs TP when you have one of these 😁

https://www.cleantouch.ca

Edited by Airbalancer
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

I can understand the 6 cases of wine 😉

who needs TP when you have on of these 😁

https://www.cleantouch.ca

I had difficulty trying to install one of those in the outhouse. Sent it back and continue to use reliable TP, something we've been accustomed to since Sears stopped printing its catalogues! :classic_cool:

Edited by Fouremco
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Alberto Aliberti, President of Atlas Ocean Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...