90% effective vaccine EVEN without booster shot...

14 minutes ago, Threedrones said:

While Joe Biden has most likely won the election, he is not the President Elect. He does not become President Elect until the votes are certified. That is weeks away.

Very true and while any president can make masks mandatory in federal buildings, he/she has no authority to make it required in individual states - that is left up to the governors.

Don't get me wrong, I fully support wearing masks inside public places right now, but if I get a vaccine I see no reason why I should still be required to wear a mask unless it can be proven that people who have immunity can still be carriers of the virus - and that is still to be determined.

Edited by mek
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, mek said:

but if I get a vaccine I see no reason why I should still be required to wear a mask unless it can be proven that people who have immunity can still be carriers of the virus - and that is still to be determined

In a large gathering or public places how do you easily discern who has been vaccinated and who hasn’t?  I’m quite certain many anti maskers would not wear one without having the vaccine if there was no reason to wear masks for those vaccinated.  Unfortunately I see masks being required by all in many situations even after the vaccine is available. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Threedrones said:

While Joe Biden has most likely won the election, he is not the President Elect. He does not become President Elect until the votes are certified. That is weeks away.

Opinions on that seem to vary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President-elect_of_the_United_States

The president-elect of the United States is the person who has won a presidential electionin the United States but has yet to take office as president. There is no explicit indication in the Constitution when that person actually becomes president-elect.[1] An unofficial term, president-elect has been used by the media for decades. Politicians have applied the term to the declared winner, even soon after election night.[2]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Why?

One problem...

this vaccine needs to be shipped and stored at minus 100 degrees Fahrenheit.  Right now, our nation is not ready for that.

Our news says CVS and tom thumb here are ready, all set up, just waiting for approval. They said free at either tom thumb or albertsons and ready to go.

Maybe some will have to drive? We are set up here, so saying no one is ready isnt true, dallas has places set up and ready to administer the vaccine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

Why? One problem... this vaccine needs to be shipped and stored at minus 100 degrees Fahrenheit.  Right now, our nation is not ready for that.

Sounds very dramatic, but that is the temperature of dry ice or liquid nitrogen. Very common shipment media. Not a problem for shipment. 

Got a notice from my local CVS drugstore yesterday saying that they were approved for distribution and administration of the vaccine and have the ability to handle it. Still TBD on the priority of giving people vaccinations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Our news says CVS and tom thumb here are ready, all set up, just waiting for approval. They said free at either tom thumb or albertsons and ready to go.

Maybe some will have to drive? We are set up here, so saying no one is ready isnt true, dallas has places set up and ready to administer the vaccine. 

Maybe CVS has the ability buy many hospitals do not.  Seriously, who do you think will receive the first shipments of the vaccine.... hospitals or CVS?

1 minute ago, yogimax said:

Maybe CVS has the ability buy many hospitals do not.  Seriously, who do you think will receive the first shipments of the vaccine.... hospitals or CVS?

I'm not ready to play guessing games.

My city held test runs using city employees and gave them flu shots instead. They have even announced the location. Sounds like a football field. 

It's clear they are gearing up, and idk why assume hospitals would give vaccinations. Cvs did drive thru testing. I think they have 15 texas locations for testing. Usually my parents get their flu shots at krogers. But so far it's just those locations have the freezing unit set up.

Idk why assumption hospitals would do it and not other places.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, yogimax said:

This type of refrigeration is extremely common in the vast majority of hospitals. They are used to store tissue of all types (bone, tendon, ligament grafts, heart valves plasma, and on and on)  Also the shipping of items at these temperature is quite common. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

It's clear they are gearing up, and idk why assume hospitals would give vaccinations. Cvs did drive thru testing. I think they have 15 texas locations for testing. Usually my parents get their flu shots at krogers. But so far it's just those locations have the freezing unit set up.

Idk why assumption hospitals would do it and not other places.

Hospital staffs will be among the very first to receive the vaccine.

5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

This type of refrigeration is extremely common in the vast majority of hospitals. They are used to store tissue of all types (bone, tendon, ligament grafts, heart valves plasma, and on and on)  Also the shipping of items at these temperature is quite common. 

“This will be a challenge in all settings because hospitals even in big cities do not have storage facilities for a vaccine at that ultra-low temperature.”

Indeed, one of the most prestigious U.S. hospitals, the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, said it does not currently have that capability.

18 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

At the rate covid is tearing through the US population we will have reached herd immunity by the first of the year or maybe shortly after and then the numbers will start to rapidly fall. Daily cases will likely peak in the next few weeks.

You won’t even be close.

just over 11 million affected currently out of 338 million.  Yesterday 157k new cases.  Say 200k for the next 60 days that adds 12 million.  23 million out of 338 million isn’t even 10% of the population...a very long way from herd immunity. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, yogimax said:

“This will be a challenge in all settings because hospitals even in big cities do not have storage facilities for a vaccine at that ultra-low temperature.”

Indeed, one of the most prestigious U.S. hospitals, the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, said it does not currently have that capability.

I have no idea where this quote came from, and I find it very surprising. I can confirm at least 3 hospitals (not near the repute of Mayo) I am on staff at in the Dallas metroplex have such facilities 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mek said:

Don't get me wrong, I fully support wearing masks inside public places right now, but if I get a vaccine I see no reason why I should still be required to wear a mask unless it can be proven that people who have immunity can still be carriers of the virus - and that is still to be determined.

No vaccine is 100% effective. Nor is the duration of these new ones known. Principal reasons you should want to wear a mask after vaccination. It will take months, if not years to get everyone vaccinated. Major reason authorities will want to continue mask mandates.

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Sounds very dramatic, but that is the temperature of dry ice or liquid nitrogen. Very common shipment media. Not a problem for shipment. 

Dry ice is almost, but not quite cold enough for Pfizer vaccine storage.

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

While the freezers may be common in hospitals, drug stores, clinics, and physician offices are not likely to have the equipment. Hopefully the Moderna and J&J vaccines will be approved in time for those locations.

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Got a notice from my local CVS drugstore yesterday saying that they were approved for distribution and administration of the vaccine and have the ability to handle it. Still TBD on the priority of giving people vaccinations. 

That's what we are being told here too.

Yogimax thinks they cant ship to more than one place it seems at first.

I guess we will wait to see. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, broberts said:

While the freezers may be common in hospitals, drug stores, clinics, and physician offices are not likely to have the equipment. Hopefully the Moderna and J&J vaccines will be approved in time for those locations.

I agree completely, my comment was a reply to a post stating that not even hospitals are

prepared. 

2 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

At the rate covid is tearing through the US population we will have reached herd immunity by the first of the year or maybe shortly after and then the numbers will start to rapidly fall. Daily cases will likely peak in the next few weeks.

You're kidding, right? 

If 150,000 people become infected each day, it would take 3 years for 50% of the population of the U. S. to become infected.  Not even sure if 50% of the population is considered herd immunity.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You sound like you might be a doctor. Glad to hear dallas is able to do this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

You're kidding, right? 

If 150,000 people become infected each day, it would take 3 years for 50% of the population of the U. S. to become infected.  Not even sure if 50% of the population is considered herd immunity.

There have been over 11 million infected. CDC says the actual number is 10 to 11 times the number that have been tested and come back positive. Others say even higher because very little testing was done until about May. We will be above 50 percent shortly at the rate new cases are being reported. Should shoot above 200k per day average next week and peak out in early December. Herd immunity is about 60-65 percent. Regardless, you will run out of new people to infect soon enough. i don't support herd immunity as a way to handle it but it is what most countries are effectively doing.

Edited by HaveWeMetYet
  • Like 1

Australian Prime Minister advised a few different vaccines will be available in Australia in the first quarter 2021.  However, only front line hospital workers, doctors, surgeons & nursing home staff will be eligible for a vaccine.  A vaccine will be available for all other Australians in the third quarter 2021.  This is Australia’s timeline, I’d imagine the USA’s would be similar or a rather much longer timeframe, definitely not quicker.

Especially with Sleepy Joe doing the wheeling & dealing.

On 11/9/2020 at 9:38 AM, boscobeans said:

Pfizer has researched and has developed a complete nationwide infrastructure for the extreme low temperatures required, from manufacture to the actual shot in the arm... 

They have all transport, storage and local delivery problems solved. Amazing that this was all being done over the last months.

Operation Warp Speed.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Opinions on that seem to vary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President-elect_of_the_United_States

The president-elect of the United States is the person who has won a presidential electionin the United States but has yet to take office as president. There is no explicit indication in the Constitution when that person actually becomes president-elect.[1] An unofficial term, president-elect has been used by the media for decades. Politicians have applied the term to the declared winner, even soon after election night.[2]

Unfortunately, I wouldn’t call Wiki a non biased platform.

And you must agree that our current President is the President to at least January 20, 2021 but yet most social media platforms have removed that title and he is now simply Mr.  😇

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If it wasn't for Operation Warp Speed,  getting this vaccine so quickly would never have happened, and that's all I'm going to say about that.

Just received this email from CVS: 

As America has struggled through the COVID-19 pandemic, it has been difficult to find a path toward health.

Over the last few days, that path became a little clearer. We are closer to having an authorized vaccine to treat COVID-19.

Still, the question that so many of us have is “How would I get that vaccine?”
CVS Health® has entered into a contract with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). We were selected as one of the official COVID-19 Vaccination Program Providers.

The United States government will make a supply of the COVID-19 vaccine available to CVS Health when authorized and available to administer in pharmacies nationwide. We will offer it to the public through our 10,000 locations, following established vaccine prioritization guidelines.

CVS Health is already working to enable administration of the vaccine once it is available for pharmacies nationwide.

We are proud of and thankful for the efforts of our pharmacists, nurse practitioners and pharmacy technicians. They have served many communities across the U.S. and helped conduct nearly 7 million COVID-19 tests. We know they stand ready to do the same thing when COVID-19 vaccinations are available.

We are still in a global pandemic and there are so many questions. Stay informed on our response.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, webecruzin2 said:

If it wasn't for Operation Warp Speed,  getting this vaccine so quickly would never have happened, and that's all I'm going to say about that.

Just received this email from CVS: 

As America has struggled through the COVID-19 pandemic, it has been difficult to find a path toward health.

Over the last few days, that path became a little clearer. We are closer to having an authorized vaccine to treat COVID-19.

Still, the question that so many of us have is “How would I get that vaccine?”
CVS Health® has entered into a contract with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). We were selected as one of the official COVID-19 Vaccination Program Providers.

The United States government will make a supply of the COVID-19 vaccine available to CVS Health when authorized and available to administer in pharmacies nationwide. We will offer it to the public through our 10,000 locations, following established vaccine prioritization guidelines.

CVS Health is already working to enable administration of the vaccine once it is available for pharmacies nationwide.

We are proud of and thankful for the efforts of our pharmacists, nurse practitioners and pharmacy technicians. They have served many communities across the U.S. and helped conduct nearly 7 million COVID-19 tests. We know they stand ready to do the same thing when COVID-19 vaccinations are available.

We are still in a global pandemic and there are so many questions. Stay informed on our response.

A few on here will argue that Operation Warp Speed had nothing to do with the vaccines timeframe. 

M8

• Like 1