Jump to content

90% effective vaccine EVEN without booster shot...


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

As much as I would not want to take a vaccine early, we are going to have to with my wife's diabetes. I am not an anti-vaxxer, but I would prefer more testing. However, her safety will have to come first so we will have to all get it and be part of the early groups.

Idk if it's true or not but someone on tv said the priority list has people who are older behind all the first line and they said dont expect it soon. Who knows. I'd like to know how it will work but could be a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, boscobeans said:

50% has always been looked at as effective.

 

This is 90% and that is before the second or booster dose... GREAT NEWS for all.. 

But will ALL be able to get the vaccine? According to recent articles in UK media perhaps not. It has been said no under 18s and maybe even no under 40s or 50s. A stance which wont get anywhere near the so called herd immunity level. Though I am sure that stance will change. And you will be able to get if privately at cost if you need it.

Edited by ace2542
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Idk if it's true or not but someone on tv said the priority list has people who are older behind all the first line and they said dont expect it soon. Who knows. I'd like to know how it will work but could be a while.

 

Correct, front line health care workers and essential workers get top priority.  Next are people with underlying conditions, many who are in nursing homes and assisted living facilities and then people 65 and older. The rest of the population could be looking at mid 2021 on average.  

 

The good news is that there are three other US companies (besides all the worldwide companies) that are in phase 3 development of vaccines. Moderna, Johnson & Johnson and Novamax are poised to announce promising news soon.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

 

Correct, front line health care workers and essential workers get top priority.  Next are people with underlying conditions, many who are in nursing homes and assisted living facilities and then people 65 and older. The rest of the population could be looking at mid 2021 on average.  

 

The good news is that there are three other US companies (besides all the worldwide companies) that are in phase 3 development of vaccines. Moderna, Johnson & Johnson and Novamax are poised to announce promising news soon.  

I'm sure I could come up with a underlying condition or two, but havent seen a doctor in a couple of years.

 

But the way I read what you wrote, so I'd need to go see a doctor and what get a note saying I have this or that and then going to wherever they have the vaccine to have my note checked?

 

The vaccine isnt going to be just distributed everywhere like the flu shot if it's got to be stored at sub zero conditions.

 

And my parents are not at a nursing home. They live alone but just getting them to a doctor to get a note? My 102 year old dad has a pace maker. My 94 year old mom has copd. 

 

I see issues with the roll out. Everyone wants to make light of it, but doesnt sound easy or fast to me. It also sounded like my parents would be behind those in nursing homes, though they are stuck sheltering in place. Someone said one doctor on Biden's new task force published a paper in his past about why people shouldn't live past age 75, and that as you say front line, which will take a long time, then nursing homes before those like me or my parents. ... 

 

And we havent even gotten to what the federal govt considers front line workers. Here front line workers include gun sellers and liquor distributors.. another state might not. My cousins kid works for chewy and I'm tired of hearing how important she is as a front line worker. ... I see some issues who is a front line worker.

 

Easy to just say what you said, but i want to see it in writing, not just what you heard which is vague to me., every state is different who is front line. I'd like to see my parents .... and me before some kids tbh who might qualify as front line. 

 

 

Edited by firefly333
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm sure I could come up with a underlying condition or two, but havent seen a doctor in a couple of years.

 

But the way I read what you wrote, so I'd need to go see a doctor and what get a note saying I have this or that and then going to wherever they have the vaccine to have my note checked?

 

The vaccine isnt going to be just distributed everywhere like the flu shot if it's got to be stored at sub zero conditions.

 

And my parents are not at a nursing home. They live alone but just getting them to a doctor to get a note? My 102 year old dad has a pace maker. My 94 year old mom has copd. 

 

I see issues with the roll out. Everyone wants to make light of it, but doesnt sound easy or fast to me. It also sounded like my parents would be behind those in nursing homes, though they are stuck sheltering in place. Someone said one doctor on Biden's new task force published a paper in his past about why people shouldn't live past age 75, and that as you say front line, which will take a long time, then nursing homes before those like me or my parents. ... 

 

And we havent even gotten to what the federal govt considers front line workers. Here front line workers include gun sellers and liquor distributors.. another state might not. My cousins kid works for chewy and I'm tired of hearing how important she is as a front line worker. ... I see some issues who is a front line worker.

 

Easy to just say what you said, but i want to see it in writing, not just what you heard which is vague to me., every state is different who is front line. I'd like to see my parents .... and me before some kids tbh who might qualify as front line. 

 

You raise some very valid points.  The fair and ethical distribution of the vaccine will be a tall order, however, I have faith it will be able to be conducted equitably.  

 

Since there are several vaccines coming down the pike and not everyone wants to be vaccinated, shortages might not be as big a problem as some foresee. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

 

You raise some very valid points.  The fair and ethical distribution of the vaccine will be a tall order, however, I have faith it will be able to be conducted equitably.  

 

Since there are several vaccines coming down the pike and not everyone wants to be vaccinated, shortages might not be as big a problem as some foresee. 

Forget fair and ethical distribution though it is a very valid point and of course how it will be done. But would the best form of vaccination not be to identify those in all age groupings who haven't had it the covid yet perhaps with antibody testing and vaccinate them playing the herd immunity card forward and then vaccinate the previously infected once the previously uninfected have been vaccinated? That would drive the virus right into the dust would it not and very quickly?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I was bringing my receipt I had the vaccine if I get it.

 

I was wondering if you have antibodies do you test positive for covid? If someone has a medical background maybe they know. 

Having antibodies would not cause either a rapid or PCR test to be positive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

and then vaccinate the previously infected once the previously uninfected have been vaccinated? That would drive the virus right into the dust would it not and very quickly?

... most of the previously infected would have antibodies against the strain they had. ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Forget fair and ethical distribution though it is a very valid point and of course how it will be done. But would the best form of vaccination not be to identify those in all age groupings who haven't had it the covid yet perhaps with antibody testing and vaccinate them playing the herd immunity card forward and then vaccinate the previously infected once the previously uninfected have been vaccinated? That would drive the virus right into the dust would it not and very quickly?

 

You should be on the new Coronavirus Task Force!  LOL 🤣

 

That's one way to look at it.  I would hate to be the one making the difficult decisions.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

perhaps with antibody testing and vaccinate them playing the herd immunity card forward and then vaccinate the previously infected once the previously uninfected have been vaccinated?

That is a way too much work, administration and costly a process  to go through when trying to roll out the vaccine quickly.  Also the antibody tests are very unreliable, they don’t know how long they remain in your system and those with immune compromised systems will likely not show antibodies.

 

Best just to roll it out based on easily determined criteria and perhaps some of those that know they have already had it won’t bother getting the vaccine in the first round.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Seeing that Pfizer took no government money for R&D and sales yet, it will be Pfizer's team of researches and staff. No government, country, political party can even attempt to take credit.

But they will get paid $1.95 billion for 100 million doses which only helps their bottom line and their stock value.  And, Pfizer is not the only vaccine that will be out there and used so they will all be lumped together when the time comes.  Just watch. And, considering people are always complaining about "big pharma" I'm surprised how many are acting like Pfizer is developing this purely out of the goodness of their heart when they will be paid very, very well for a vaccine that works.

 

Also, interesting little article into what we don't see about this deal.

https://qz.com/1930404/what-we-dont-know-about-pfizers-operation-warp-speed-deal/

 

Edited by BND
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

When these do become available I guess you don't get to pick the manufacturer of your choice (the 90% vs the 70%) you just get whichever vaccine and brand your provider has available.  

You might be able to find out which one goes to which distribution location.  Even 70% is much higher than almost every other vaccine out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We anxiously await news on whether transplant recipients that take anti rejection meds, immune compromised people, such as my DH, will be allowed to take vaccine and what will be effectiveness.   

One vaccine mfg was doing study on people that fall within his category.  Hopefully all is going well with those volunteers.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

 

You raise some very valid points.  The fair and ethical distribution of the vaccine will be a tall order, however, I have faith it will be able to be conducted equitably.  

 

Since there are several vaccines coming down the pike and not everyone wants to be vaccinated, shortages might not be as big a problem as some foresee. 

 

Fair and ethical checked out of here a long time ago

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I'm sure I could come up with a underlying condition or two, but havent seen a doctor in a couple of years.

 

But the way I read what you wrote, so I'd need to go see a doctor and what get a note saying I have this or that and then going to wherever they have the vaccine to have my note checked?

 

The vaccine isnt going to be just distributed everywhere like the flu shot if it's got to be stored at sub zero conditions.

 

And my parents are not at a nursing home. They live alone but just getting them to a doctor to get a note? My 102 year old dad has a pace maker. My 94 year old mom has copd. 

 

I see issues with the roll out. Everyone wants to make light of it, but doesnt sound easy or fast to me. It also sounded like my parents would be behind those in nursing homes, though they are stuck sheltering in place. Someone said one doctor on Biden's new task force published a paper in his past about why people shouldn't live past age 75, and that as you say front line, which will take a long time, then nursing homes before those like me or my parents. ... 

 

And we havent even gotten to what the federal govt considers front line workers. Here front line workers include gun sellers and liquor distributors.. another state might not. My cousins kid works for chewy and I'm tired of hearing how important she is as a front line worker. ... I see some issues who is a front line worker.

 

Easy to just say what you said, but i want to see it in writing, not just what you heard which is vague to me., every state is different who is front line. I'd like to see my parents .... and me before some kids tbh who might qualify as front line. 

 

 

I think it will be more widely available quicker than most think, especially if most of the trials pan out.  I just had my physical.  I'm 60, other than higher cholesterol than they like (270 but my ratios aren't bad and my HDL is 71 which puts me at lower risk all by itself) and very mild high blood pressure that I take a beta blocker for I'm in good health.  I'm overweight, but as a woman, I'm not that unusual for my age.  My A1C was 5.4 so I'm far from diabetic.  So, I fall into that area that has to possibly wait.  My DH has HBP,  Type II diabetes and worse cholesterol than I do and he's 63.  Not sure where he'll fall, but my understanding is that the vaccine will be distributed via pharmacies moreso than physicians' offices so we shall see.  My parents are 82 and my mom has mild afib and my dad had aortic valve replacement a year and a half ago so both higher risk, but they live in their own home.   My MIL is 88 and while she's in an independent apt in a senior facility, she has 24/7 care so she'll get first dibs if she lives long enough.  She's not doing well though and we expect her to not last a year.   She's eating less and less and is more confused with repeated UTI's so I'm not sure if the vaccine would add much to her life.

 

Someone recently posted, on this site I think that the storage issue is being addressed so distribution will be  quicker.

 

I'm not even going to get into the person stating no one should live past 75 as that came up during ACA discussions several years back. 

Edited by BND
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, BND said:

But they will get paid $1.95 billion for 100 million doses which only helps their bottom line and their stock value.  And, Pfizer is not the only vaccine that will be out there and used so they will all be lumped together when the time comes.  Just watch. And, considering people are always complaining about "big pharma" I'm surprised how many are acting like Pfizer is developing this purely out of the goodness of their heart when they will be paid very, very well for a vaccine that works.

 

Also, interesting little article into what we don't see about this deal.

https://qz.com/1930404/what-we-dont-know-about-pfizers-operation-warp-speed-deal/

 

But only the first ones out in the US will be protected by the PREP Act. The FDA and government do not have to extend the protections to whoever comes out second. Assuming Pfizer gets the FDA EUA agreement, then it may be the only Pharma in the US protected by the PREP Act. If that is the case, it means all others will be open to lawsuits on any adverse affects. That plays a tremendous factor in it from a US perspective. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I do vaccinations all the time. Where should I go to purchase my raised seal?

The only time I remember needing proof of vaccination is when my kids started school. The Dr. just signed the form the school gave us. I was wondering how we would be showing proof of a covid vaccination. Maybe there will be an app with a barcode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...