New vaccine

hollyjess

43 minutes ago, wowzz said:

If you look at the historic data, the rapid increase in cases took place in October, and given that "Eat Out" finished in August, it is a bit of a leap to directly link the two. I felt that in this particular case the expert was trying to find a causal link that was not there, for the purposes of his own agenda.

Given the timing of the Octiber increase,  one could argue that the real cause of the increase was the start of the new academic year in schools and colleges.  .

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1101947/coronavirus-cases-development-uk/

In Liverpool the rise in numbers in October (and they were big) was mainly in the Student population (as shown by data), though as time progressed through to the end of the year it was said the infection in the student population had been controlled.  The bulk of students are pretty much integrated with the local population though, so would have spread quickly there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Hi Avril. If you are concerned about your husband getting his vaccine and want to go to Leeds I will be happy to pick him up and take him, the same applies to you.

Phil, thank you that is so kind and unexpected. We are not too worried about an early vaccine as neither of us are considered vunerable, but are reluctant to travel such a distance. Our local centre is a 20 minute walk away and so would feel more relaxed. We will keep being careful  and wait, it won't be too long now.

Both Frank and I thank you for your kind and generous  offer. You are a wonderful man, and a rarity nowadays.

Avril

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Sorry just got the basket at the front, she will need hobnail boots for when I need her to put her feet down on some of our Pennine hills.

One man and his bike .... Giving lifts :classic_unsure:

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

Just say documentary evidence  , but stresses that we have t have both shots ( if required)

so maybe  we should look out for getting evidence of the second shot. Could be needed

for flights as well as cruises alond with who knows what in the future.

The NHS web booking system allows you to book the 2nd jab at the same time as you book your first.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Phil, thank you that is so kind and unexpected. We are not too worried about an early vaccine as neither of us are considered vunerable, but are reluctant to travel such a distance. Our local centre is a 20 minute walk away and so would feel more relaxed. We will keep being careful  and wait, it won't be too long now.

Both Frank and I thank you for your kind and generous  offer. You are a wonderful man, and a rarity nowadays.

Avril

You are welcome just shout if you need me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

Saying that is quite civizilized on the P&O section of these forums.  Best not to go to RCI.  Its a whole different country!

I agree it can be nasty at times.

There are a lot more posters on RCG forums so the chances of a more feisty discussion is higher.

I recognise most of the posters after posting for over 4 years so usually only reply to posters I respect and who respect me.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The NHS web booking system allows you to book the 2nd jab at the same time as you book your first.

Ok  thanks but I still think Saga  would still need something to confirm the second jab was actually taken,  as maybe others will in the future. If it all gets recorded correctly a confirmation of both injections may be available online or from the doc?

Edited by Aulanis

5 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

Ok  thanks but I still think Saga  would still need something to confirm the second jab was actually taken,  as maybe others will in the future. If it all gets recorded correctly a confirmation of both injections may be available online or from the doc?

They specify that the 2nd jab must have been at least 14 days before embarking, and proof must be shown.

Going by the pace of the rollout round here, there'll be a lot of empty cabins.

Interestingly, the holidays page (i.e, everything except ocean cruises) only needs a self declaration, no proof, and people who are exempt from having the vaccination (?) can still go on holiday with Saga - but not on an ocean cruise.

2 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

They specify that the 2nd jab must have been at least 14 days before embarking, and proof must be shown.

Going by the pace of the rollout round here, there'll be a lot of empty cabins.

Interestingly, the holidays page (i.e, everything except ocean cruises) only needs a self declaration, no proof, and people who are exempt from having the vaccination (?) can still go on holiday with Saga - but not on an ocean cruise.

Hopefully the majority of Saga cruisers will have had both jabs (or 1 if J&J vaccine gets approved) if this cruise goes ahead. Hopefully the area's that have lagged behind will catch up with the Astra vaccine. It is a lottery at the moment but there are several months before the cruise and a lot will have changed.

1 hour ago, Aulanis said:

Hi Aulanis.  Your GP surgery will definitely have a record of both your vaccines, and the dates on which they were given. Ask them for a 'Summary Printout' of your medical record and you can present that to Saga as proof. Best wishes. Jane

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-vaccine-booking-website-criticised-after-queue-jumping-claims-12193544

I know we are all keen to get the vaccine but surely not enough to effectively skip the queue.

This is not the only story out there about people pushing in ahead of the most vulnerable.

A document was widely circulated in error which implied that anyone with a caring responsibility(of any kind) was eligible for the vaccine rather than just health and social care workers.I think this partly led to the 'queue jumping and today the centre ran out of vaccines and will only have enough vaccine for 3 days next week.I know some 90 year olds in Chesterfield who have not yet been vaccinated so really frustrating.I don't think the 'queue jumpers' necessarily realised that they were doing anything wrong and that other priority groups were still waiting their turn.

1 minute ago, ann141 said:

A document was widely circulated in error which implied that anyone with a caring responsibility(of any kind) was eligible for the vaccine rather than just health and social care workers.I think this partly led to the 'queue jumping and today the centre ran out of vaccines and will only have enough vaccine for 3 days next week.I know some 90 year olds in Chesterfield who have not yet been vaccinated so really frustrating.I don't think the 'queue jumpers' necessarily realised that they were doing anything wrong and that other priority groups were still waiting their turn.

Yes I had read about that too but this report is different. They are just queue jumping. 

20 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I think you are probably correct unfortunately

Yes I have been monitoring the Swiftqueue web link that deals with the vaccination hubs in my local area. Up until yesterday they were calling for all over 80's to register and book an appointment and there seemed to be quite a lot of availability at most of the centres when I clicked through to the status page for one of the centres nearest to me. The next stage in the process I believe was to register and then book an official appointment.

I didn't go any further but I can see how some unscrupulous individuals might take advantage and register and book ahead of their turn. I'm not sure how robust the checking systems are on the website to know if an individual with a particular NHS number is in the correct group being vaccinated at that time.

Strangely enough I have just looked again in the last few minutes and the centres are now calling over-75's forward(I'm in that group) to be vaccinated. Ironically the centre nearest to me now has no availability at present.

I had seem mention of the booking system, but what I read said you would need both your NHS number, but also another number which was on the letter which had been sent to call you for a vaccine.  No idea if that is the case, but would be interested if anyone who has used the system can confirm that need for a number from the letter - or not.

What I find a bit irritating is that there seems to be no way of finding out how vaccines are progressing in your immediate area (if only a local authority area).  Yes it would not get us anywhere any quicker,  but would be good to be able to follow the progress locally and the best seems to be figures for the whole of the North West in our case.  Perhaps I should find something else to keep me occupied..........

A couple of points about recent posts, hope that these are helpful:

1) When a vaccination is delivered, the patient receives a card detailing the type/batch number and date of injections.  With supplementary photo ID (i.e. a passport), I would assume that will suffice as proof of vaccination - reference the SAGA story. 

2) I am not at all surprised by this SAGA story, but I do wonder if P&O can follow suit just yet because their passengers are both aged under (and over 50), and so it's not a given that they will have had the opportunity to be double vaccinated before May.  But, that feels like a possible direction of travel eventually.  Ultimately, if all or almost all passengers and crew are vaccinated, the transmission risk in the "bubble" is significantly lessened and therefore the cruise experience - at least onboard - can be provided close to as planned.  It then comes down to discussion with the port authority about the transmission risk I.e. "bubble" excursions for disembarkation.

3) The comments relating to the Israeli monitoring of the Pfizer vaccine make sense to me, I think.  It's not surprising that until the the vaccine had taken effect in your body - 10-14 days, you have the same risk of infection than someone who has not been vaccinated.  That seems like common sense to me.  It does appear that the 70% benefit of the first vaccine, before the second, which increases the benefit to 95% is slightly lower than expected. 

4) The Israelis can't say how efficacious a second vaccine is after three weeks, as they are not following that model.  So any data about the difference in infection rate between week 3 and 12 will come from UK only.  This is where there is a risk of misinterpretation in the Sky News report. 

5) Ultimately, the vaccine gives some protection after 10-14 days, but it's not as strong as initially anticipated.  If this stacks up with increased infection rates from weeks 4-12, and so the overall benefit is weaker than planned, then it could suggest that the model needs to change, particularly for the most vulnerable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No pager thank you said:

A couple of points about recent posts, hope that these are helpful:

1) When a vaccination is delivered, the patient receives a card detailing the type/batch number and date of injections.  With supplementary photo ID (i.e. a passport), I would assume that will suffice as proof of vaccination - reference the SAGA story. 

I believed this to be the case and have seen photos of people having been given the record cards. I wonder if anyone who has been Jabbed can confirm.

2 hours ago, tring said:

I had seem mention of the booking system, but what I read said you would need both your NHS number, but also another number which was on the letter which had been sent to call you for a vaccine.  No idea if that is the case, but would be interested if anyone who has used the system can confirm that need for a number from the letter - or not.

What I find a bit irritating is that there seems to be no way of finding out how vaccines are progressing in your immediate area (if only a local authority area).  Yes it would not get us anywhere any quicker,  but would be good to be able to follow the progress locally and the best seems to be figures for the whole of the North West in our case.  Perhaps I should find something else to keep me occupied..........

We did not need any other number than our NI number, which is printed on the letter, and our DOB, I presume the system recognised us from that, which then permitted us to book a vaccination.  You could book on line or via a119  phone number, I tried that first but after 5 minutes of choosing options it finally said goodbye, so I resorted to the on-line system which was quite straightforward.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I believed this to be the case and have seen photos of people having been given the record cards. I wonder if anyone who has been Jabbed can confirm.

When I took my MIL she just got a small credit size card with the batch no of the vaccine and space for the second vaccine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1