The Daily for Tuesday Nov 24, 2020

richwmn

today is Celebrate Your Unique Talent Day, Evolution Day, and DB Cooper Day

Experience is the worst teacher.  It always gives the test first and the instruction afterward.

Meal suggestion for today - Butternut Squash and Spinach Lasagna

Drink of the Day - Gimlet

Wine of the day - Eccentric Red Blend vintage

Augusta Italy
Noordam

Brest France
Nieuw Statendam

Malta Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Panama Anchorage Pacific
Koningsdam

Portland UK
Volendam

Rotterdam - Botlek Shipyard
Westerdam

Torquay Anchorage
Zaandam

Willemstad
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam
Oosterdam

1124Caribbean.png

1124Med.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  Not sure why we would celebrate DB Cooper.  I like the other 2 days a lot better.  So true with the quote.  I'll pass on the meal suggestion.  My alternative Chilled Melon Bisque wand Veal and Pork Meatballs which I would have enjoyed on the Prinsendam November 4, 2017 if I had not been in Canaletto.  No change in the care list today.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Hflors son and daughter both ill with likely covid

Covid personally touching durangoscots, Hflors, StLouisCruisers, and cruisemom42 (I hope I got you all)

durangoscots niece’s husband in the ICU

Stressed out and overwhelmed medical workers

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Occasional posters like Sososailor (and thank you for your medical service)

Front Line Health Care Workers and support staff

Teachers and school workers

I attain 50 years of home ownership today.(per yesterday’s trivia_

Happy Anniversary Vict0riann and Pat

and a cruise ship setting sail in New Zealand

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Good morning Rich.  It is a snowy morning here in Naperville.  .  It ould be a good day to be on a varibbean Cruise.  Thank you for the DAILY Fleet report--though the ships are going now where fast.  Toy thanks for your daily insights.

• Like 10

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

I like the first two days.  Not sure why a hijacker has a day?

Love the quote.  I’ll pass on the meal suggestion with left over pork tenderloin and chicken.

Haven’t thought about a gimlet in years.  Love seeing all the different cocktails. 

@Vict0riannhappy 58th anniversary to you and Pat 🎊 

@rafinmdcongrats on 50 years of home ownership 🎉 

Times are not fun for many right now with lockdowns, not able to visit loved ones for celebrations, etc so let’s not forget:

9828B37D-7482-45B8-89D4-33A754E86DA7.jpeg.db45a5bc7495c26761199ae5e9a56e4d.jpeg

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care List & for anyone who needs them and a toast to those on the Celebratory/Shout Out list.

Have a wonderful Tuesday everyone.  Stay safe & don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.

Love the Daily Report.

Interesting days.  Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion but I wish I could have a gimlet on a HAL ship.  I'm looking forward to reading about the wine.

Sending prayers for everyone.  Cheers to everyone with something to celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 11

Good morning.  No snow but cold for me....in the low 60's.  Agree with others, I don't think a highjacker should have his day.  The meal sounds interesting.

Congratulations to Victoriann and Pat...58 years WOW!  And to Roy on his homeownership.

Gimlet:

Ingredients. 2 1/2 ounces gin. 1/2 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed. 1/2 ounce simple syrup. Garnish: lime wheel.

Prayers where needed and a toast to the others.

Social distance, stay safe, and wear your mask.  Be super safe this Thanksgiving so you can be here for Christmas.

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 16

from a write up on D. B. Cooper

The story of D.B. Cooper has inspired numerous songs, books, and films. He has become a folk hero to some but is remembered as a criminal by others. No matter how Cooper is viewed, his story continues to be recounted, and his identity continues to be debated, many decades after he disappeared into the night sky.

For better or worse we, as a culture, do celebrate some that were outside the law. Butch Cassidy, Al Capone and others come to mind.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Rich. Love the Daily this morning. Thank you.

Good morning to our Daily-ites, my sweet sisters, Roy, summer, Ann, Hflor, thanks for contributions. Another gin cocktail and red wine this morning. I'll pass and stick to my Kris tonight.

D.B. Cooper was quite the mystery man. I have read books on him, watched a mini series. I guess one could say he had a "unique talent". 

@Vict0riannHappy 58th anniversary to you and Pat!

@rafinmdCongrats on 50 years of home ownership! 

Have no idea what's for dinner. There's a few choices in the fridge but would sure love halibut and a simple salad and baked potato..

Getting my blinds installed today. Yippee!Claudio should have the flagstone project complete today as well. Yippee!!

Take care, don't give up, be super vigilante! Help is on the way! Blessings to all. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 13

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Well this is a very interesting combo of days!  I think the mystery surrounding Cooper’s disappearance is intriguing, but not sure if I can bring myself to celebrate it!

Congrats on your home ownership anniversary, Roy! And thank you for keeping our lists!   Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! @DeeniEncinitas& @lindaler, hope your are both doing well!

Another red wine! Boy that quote rings true! Skipping the drink - we seem to be on a gin theme lately. The meal sounds interesting.

Prayers for those who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This red blend from the Mendoza region of Argentina was not an easy one to learn about. I did find one site that provided (user) ratings - think people like you & me - between 86 & 89. But with many vendors offering a bottle for $9.99, it might be fun to try it. Note: the user descriptions are all over the place. Some call it bold. Some call it sweet & jammy. Others call it light!  

DescriptionMendoza, Argentina - With it's bright red color and silky tannins, this Red Blend dances across the palate with fruit flavors of blackberry and quince that lead to a long smooth finish complemented with subtle spice notes. Made by Opi Sadler, of the La Mascota Winery.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 15

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Another interesting set of days to celebrate - everyone has a unique talent, some of us just haven't discovered it yet.

While I'm not a fan of squash, I do like lasagna, but I think Roy's menu holds greater chance of me ordering once we get back to going to restaurants again.

Congratulations @Vict0riann on your anniversary; cheers to you and your DH!

Yesterday I cleared off the dining table for the first time in many months, as it has been "sewing central" making masks since this whole Covid thing began.  It's time to get started on preparations for Christmas, beginning with writing our cards.  I like to include a personal note in each, rather than just a signature, so that takes a bit of time.

Chicken is on our menu tonight; since we got our air-fryer oven, DH is loving simple "Shake & Bake" chicken, so I'll happily make that.  Once the chicken is cooked, I'll add it to a Caesar salad for a nice full meal.   And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Toasting all on the celebration list as well.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands and wear your mask!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 18

Hello all from south west Florida!  Houston, I think that cold front found us!!  62 F on my lanai right now.  Way to cold for November!

I like the first two days.  I always had a unique talent, the problem is I am still looking for it.  Evolution day is what this world is all about!    Actually DB Cooper was on my list of what happened on this day.  Forgive me if I do not honor a criminal.

The saying for today was written for my husband.  Never reads the directions unless forced to.  

The menus look good, but I think we are going to have shrimp and scallop scampi for dinner.  It is time to start on thanksgiving dinner today so I am making something easy!

Roy congratulations on 50 years of home ownership!!!    And congratulations to all the rest on our celebrations and shoutout list!!!  Its good to have a reason to celebrate.

Ok on this day in history: November 24, 1963.  Jack Ruby shot Lee Harvey Oswald in the basement of the Dallas police department.  I was 9 and I saw the whole thing on tv.  As soon as it happened I ran outside and got my father.  

kazu thank you for the reminder that everything is not cancelled.  Its nice to be reminded.

Prayers for our friends and loved ones on our care list.  

I hope everyone gas a great day today!!!

Helen

Edited by Hflors
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  No snow but cold for me....in the low 60's.  Agree with others, I don't think a highjacker should have his day.  The meal sounds interesting.

Congratulations to Victoriann and Pat...58 years WOW!  And to Roy on his homeownership.

Gimlet:

Ingredients. 2 1/2 ounces gin. 1/2 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed. 1/2 ounce simple syrup. Garnish: lime wheel.

Prayers where needed and a toast to the others.

Social distance, stay safe, and wear your mask.  Be super safe this Thanksgiving so you can be here for Christmas.

You can also use vodka.

On the lasagna, I saw an interesting recipe for lasagna where instead of using pasta you use cooked cabbage.  I thought it sounded pretty good if you were trying to avoid carbs.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all.  An interesting assortment of days for sure.  I’m sure we all have unique talents so let’s celebrate us!  I just can't picture squash and spinach together in a lasagna.  I’ve switched from using pasta to strips of zucchini, it has become a favourite.   I think I would like the drink suggestion made with vodka and not gin.    @rafinmdlooks like we bought real estate the same year!  My thoughts are with those on Roy’s care list and a shout out to those celebrating.  Have a great Tuesday everyone.  A year ago we were waiting impatiently to disembark the K as we had an 11:00 am flight - we made it with the help of a great taxi driver.

• Like 11

Good Morning All,

Butternut squash & spinach lasagna sounds great. I haven’t decided whether I’ll give it a go for tonight or add it to our pending file. I’ve gotten some great recipe ideas from your daily suggestions, Rich.😁

Today is my meal planning day, which sets my grocery shopping plan. So far it’s shaping up to opening Trader Joe’s (trip by bike) and then Costco (which doesn’t lend itself to a bike run: Like most businesses here, there is NO safe parking for bikes, along with the obvious size of most packaging from the BigBox not fitting well on even my Dutch transport bike.)

Experimented with making salted caramel gelato with ingredients on hand the other day, and it was a winner. Not sure if I can repeat it, as made so many deviations on the original recipe.🧐 It appears that using cornstarch helps create the proper gelato texture with the new machine. It’s still a work in progress. 

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Experimented with making salted caramel gelato with ingredients on hand the other day, and it was a winner. Not sure if I can repeat it, as made so many deviations on the original recipe.🧐 It appears that using cornstarch helps create the proper gelato texture with the new machine. It’s still a work in progress. 

My favorite gelato flavor!

• Like 3