Europe 2021??

ckmommy

I know it is an unknown, but what are your thoughts on cruising in Europe this summer?  We have a 10 day Baltic Cruise planned for our whole family--Parents, my family, and my sister's family--in June.  Thinking of changing it to the Med instead--wondering if this is a better option/more likely to actually happen??

Anyone have any thoughts as to how Europe is looking for the summer??

Thanks!!

We have a Mediterranean cruise booked for September 2021... and we're really hoping it will still be a go, but at this point, it's anyone's guess. 

We were supposed to be cruising yesterday until Jan 2... and we honestly thought back in April it would still be a go. But obviously that didn't pan out. So while we're really, REALLY hoping our cruise will be a go in September, we're not betting on it. We also have a big one booked for Feb 2022, and that one we're a little more optimistic about.. assuming the cruiselines can stay afloat. 

• Like 1

We're booked for the British Isles end of July 2021...still keeping a positive hopeful outlook.

Booked five 2022 cruises just in case my July 2021 & Oct 2021 don't sail....and even if they do I'm excited for 2022.

• Like 1

We have a late September 2021 Med cruise booked as well, hoping things vastly improve in the next six months so we're able to go and not have to worry about our health. Moved a Jan 2021 5-night Caribbean to Jan 2022, and today just booked an Alaska cruise for late May 2022. Fingers crossed for everyone!

• Like 1

We are booked for 10-night baltic on Jewel beginning of August.   I remain hopeful and positive that it will sail.     I think Europe will have more ships sailing this Spring/Summer than anywhere else. 

Italy put travel restrictions in place for a couple weeks before, during and after the holidays so MSC has to pause their sailings for 3 or 4 weeks but they have had successful sailings for several months on the Grandiosa.   

I expect we will see RCL start sailing as early as April or beginning of May in Europe.    

Of course, the big question is what ports will be open to cruise ships.    Oh yea, covid vaccine is another big question.      All we can do is hope and remain positive.

• Like 4

I think the real question is will travel restrictions be lifted to allow tourist travel by the summer and will the ports be open to visitors.  The vaccines won't be widely available  before spring of next year, so I don't see any reason international travel will look much different next summer than it does today.  Cruising may well return in Europe this summer, but it may effectively be limited to European passengers.  

The virus is still widespread through much of Europe, has anyone heard anything about the plans to vaccinate France, Spain or Italy?   Until those countries are able vaccinate a large percentage of the population, I think lockdowns will continue and cruising won't really be available.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I think the real question is will travel restrictions be lifted to allow tourist travel by the summer and will the ports be open to visitors.  The vaccines won't be widely available  before spring of next year, so I don't see any reason international travel will look much different next summer than it does today.  Cruising may well return in Europe this summer, but it may effectively be limited to European passengers.  

The virus is still widespread through much of Europe, has anyone heard anything about the plans to vaccinate France, Spain or Italy?   Until those countries are able vaccinate a large percentage of the population, I think lockdowns will continue and cruising won't really be available.

+1.

Even for European's it is unsure and the season finishes at the end of October anyway.

For US citizens if it was me I would be looking at 2022.

You could wait until close to final payment to see then lift and shift.

Graham.

• Like 1

We only cruise in Europe but until the vaccine is more readily available, to all European countries, we are not thinking of cruising in 2021. 

In the UK the first wave of vaccination happens on 08/12/2020 but this is only for key workers who can get to certain hospitals. Smaller hospitals have not got the facility to store the vaccine. This means that some people, in the UK, will not get the vaccine until summer.

If other European countries follow a similar pattern then some people may not get vaccinated until late summer.

Up to now it's anybody's guess if it will be safe to cruise next year.

Right now I have a L&S for next November.  It's only a Caribbean cruise, but honestly that is probably the earliest date I would be considering a cruise even if I didn't have the L&S.  I want to see what happens once cruising starts back up and I would also rather have my first time back in the water to be closer to home.

This isn't directed at the OP, but I have to laugh at all of the people who want to "wait to see" on the vaccine, but are willing to jump right  back into cruising again not knowing what to expect.

No thanks, I'll sit back and relax and let other people go before me.

15 hours ago, ckmommy said:

I know it is an unknown, but what are your thoughts on cruising in Europe this summer?  We have a 10 day Baltic Cruise planned for our whole family--Parents, my family, and my sister's family--in June.  Thinking of changing it to the Med instead--wondering if this is a better option/more likely to actually happen??

Anyone have any thoughts as to how Europe is looking for the summer??

Thanks!!

No.  One.  Knows.    Pointless to ask for opinions.  Period.

While we have a cruise to Norway and the fjords, it is round trip from Southampton in August. It occurs to me, will the UK allow US citizens and will we have to quarantine when we return to the US?

Hal

13 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

We just pushed our Baltic cruise on Jewel from Aug 2021 to the Voyager in June 2022. Seemed like the better option for us. 

I considered moving our August Jewel Baltic cruise to one in 2022, but we got such a great deal on a junior suite that even an inside costs a lot more. Since the deposit is refundable, we'll see what  happens as it gets closer to the final payment date.

• Like 1

Just now, NancyIL said:

I considered moving our August Jewel Baltic cruise to one in 2022, but we got such a great deal on a junior suite that even an inside costs a lot more. Since the deposit is refundable, we'll see what  happens as it gets closer to the final payment date.

We got an incredible deal after all was said and done on the Jewel (booked as the Adventure prior to redeployment) with a refundable rate but pushing it back was the right decision for us. It’s a longer cruise and we don’t know how the modified experience will be or if we’ll even enjoy it. Cruising will still be somewhat new and it’ll be unknown if we could venture off on our own or if we have to do ship excursions. Flight options might be very limited and not ideal and there may be travel restrictions impacting any of the ports.

By moving it back a year, we gained an extra day on the length of cruise and added on two more ports: Riga and Visby. Hopefully by then, everything will be more predictable and we will enjoy the cruise a bit more. It seemed to be worth the extra cost and longer wait.

We plan on moving our 2021 BI cruise to something in 2022.  There are so many if's that my family just feels more comfortable waiting. I am just waiting until closer to final payment as we have a NRD and if the cruise line doesn't cancel then I have to move to another sailing and just pay the penalty. If Carnival doesn't sail Europe in 2022 then we have a backup picked on Royal.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

We got an incredible deal after all was said and done on the Jewel (booked as the Adventure prior to redeployment) with a refundable rate but pushing it back was the right decision for us. It’s a longer cruise and we don’t know how the modified experience will be or if we’ll even enjoy it. Cruising will still be somewhat new and it’ll be unknown if we could venture off on our own or if we have to do ship excursions. Flight options might be very limited and not ideal and there may be travel restrictions impacting any of the ports.

By moving it back a year, we gained an extra day on the length of cruise and added on two more ports: Riga and Visby. Hopefully by then, everything will be more predictable and we will enjoy the cruise a bit more. It seemed to be worth the extra cost and longer wait.

Moving our Baltic cruise to 2022 would be the smart move, but I don’t want to keep moving trips forward.  

• Like 1

Sadly-- 2021 may be the last year we can all go as a big family group.  In 2022 I will have one that will be graduating from nursing school, another looking to do an internship going into his senior year of college.  So, we may have to look into something else for next summer if the cruise does not go.  

It is just wait and see at this point.

I thought the same as our kids moved into adulthood and finished college, got married, had children.

But the fact is we just have a bigger family group now that sails as often as they can with us...usually at least once a year with the whole group of 10 and DH and I 4-5 times a year. 

Life isn't over,just new memories to add to all the cruises we took with the kids starting when they were very young.

• Like 4

We had a 9 day cruise to Norway on Anthem scheduled for June 2021, but we switched it for a 7 day cruise on Anthem in 2022.  I had no problems switching the cruise even though it was not identical itinerary.  We were supposed to be relocated this past summer, but those plans were put off due to pandemic, and now we are scheduled to move June 2021, so popping off to Europe that month was not going to work for us.  I wish everyone who is cruising the best of luck.  I cannot wait to get back on a ship!  

4 hours ago, RSLeesburg said:

We had a 9 day cruise to Norway on Anthem scheduled for June 2021, but we switched it for a 7 day cruise on Anthem in 2022.  I had no problems switching the cruise even though it was not identical itinerary.  We were supposed to be relocated this past summer, but those plans were put off due to pandemic, and now we are scheduled to move June 2021, so popping off to Europe that month was not going to work for us.  I wish everyone who is cruising the best of luck.  I cannot wait to get back on a ship!  

Your switch wasn't price matched, so you just paid the current price to switch cruises, also no penatly for switching now either because you were before final payment.

• Like 1

We just booked Jewel Norway Arctic circle for the end of July 2022, great price for an aft balcony. Our October 2021 cruise, with Celebrity in Europe, great price with original 3 perks, may not go. If we can’t lift and shift same price for 2022 there is no way we would book with Celebrity at their new outrageous prices, even though we are Elite plus. Back to Royal as Diamond plus members.