Next Round Of Cancellations??

kismet618

2 minutes ago, dumbth said:

As I recently posted, an NCL announcement in news section here months ago suggested the end of that route after this year. Jewel was going to be reassigned to Panama or somewhere. Maybe the regular fall run may be permitted straddling Sept/Oct, I hope but I doubt.

I was fortunate to go on the NOV 2019 cruise then, I don't think there has been another one since. Bummer... I really enjoyed it

Our TA on Escape (4/16 - 5/1) is also showing the 'default itinerary' thing and in the vacation summary the ship's name is blank. I've checked email - but nothing official yet. 

I never thought this pandemic would be going on this long. When they cancelled our April 2020 Alaskan cruise, we looked at rebooking for last fall. Almost a year later and no real end in sight. Crazy times for sure. 

4 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

I really thought it would show something official today, but am now wondering if they will wait until tomorrow since today is MLK Day? Maybe many NCL employees are off for the holiday?

I checked the NCL website just now, and the only cruises listed prior to May are a couple of Hawai'i cruise tours.  The four day hotel package runs from the 27th through the 30th of April, with the cruise departing on the First of May, so actually no cruises from NCL until May.  We had an April Transatlantic booked on the Jade, so this now makes a dozen Covid cancelled cruises for us.

6 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

I really thought it would show something official today, but am now wondering if they will wait until tomorrow since today is MLK Day? Maybe many NCL employees are off for the holiday?

Yup. It’s a holiday in the US.  No one is at work. 

9 minutes ago, catty said:

NCL is declaring bankruptcy, I really think they need to get this show on the road.  So sad this is effecting so many people’s lively hood. 

Opinion, HA!  Cruise liens may well file for bankruptcy protection but I highly doubt they will go out of business.  Those are two separate and distinct events.  While if that does happen it might AFFECT some people's livelihood, I doubt any of us have a lively hood in the first place.  I for one do not even own a hood.  🙂

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Yup. It’s a holiday in the US.  No one is at work. 

There are many of us at work.  I think this holiday is like many, in that the government employees are off and maybe some businesses that rely directly on them.  My employer only gives us the really major holidays (i.e., Memorial, 4th, Labor, TG), but we also shut down completely from Christmas Eve through New Years Day.

6 hours ago, catty said:

NCL is declaring bankruptcy, I really think they need to get this show on the road.  So sad this is effecting so many people’s lively hood. 

NCL stock is up slightly in pre-open trading. While investors may feel bankruptcy reorganization would be positive; common stock would certainly not be  up with uncertainly of how common stock would be affected. At this point, this is nothing more than a bad fledgling rumor. 

• Like 1

The Beauty of bankruptcy for the cruise line is taking all the peoples deposits as stay afloat money.  They will come back leaner and ready to go and people will book again. Some people are so crazy about cruising that it will not depress them that they are losing thousands of dollars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

The Beauty of bankruptcy for the cruise line is taking all the peoples deposits as stay afloat money.  They will come back leaner and ready to go and people will book again. Some people are so crazy about cruising that it will not depress them that they are losing thousands of dollars.

Who is losing thousands of dollars?  Are you talking about NCL raising prices?  The passengers aren't losing thousands....they are willing to pay more.  I wouldn't call that crazy at all...it's realistic.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 2:19 PM, Cruise Wonderland said:

Then it is likely that they will announce on Monday.

Spot on the money!  A year with no revenue!!!! Just a debt mountain and a lot of ships on order. I am glad I am not he FD.

On 1/20/2021 at 9:21 AM, MsTabbyKats said:

Who is losing thousands of dollars?  Are you talking about NCL raising prices?  The passengers aren't losing thousands....they are willing to pay more.  I wouldn't call that crazy at all...it's realistic.

If they go Bankrupt, your money down is Gone and it ain't coming back. Thats how you lose thousands. They are gambling that you will still book with them after losing some $2 K for example on next years cruise that you have already booked.

47 minutes ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

If they go Bankrupt, your money down is Gone and it ain't coming back. Thats how you lose thousands. They are gambling that you will still book with them after losing some $2 K for example on next years cruise that you have already booked.

Hmmm....we were talking about different things.  You're talking about people giving them "new money" and I agree. But, I don't think anyone is giving "new money" of thousands; they're just using credits etc from cancelled cruises. 

I was talking about deposits to "hold your place" even if the price goes up.

2 hours ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

Still wondering how you are arriving at your 2K #?  Right now booking a balcony cabin on NCL the deposit is $250 total. Granted when thousands of people send in $250 deposits it adds up to thousands for NCL, but I don't understand your claim each individual losing thousands.

I'm not arguing your point that people would lose money IF NCL declares either Chapter 11 or Chapter 7 bankruptcy; but I suggest there are a lot of factors between now and then if then ever comes.

47 minutes ago, mtrancher said:

Still wondering how you are arriving at your 2K #?  Right now booking a balcony cabin on NCL the deposit is $250 total. Granted when thousands of people send in $250 deposits it adds up to thousands for NCL, but I don't understand your claim each individual losing thousands.

I'm not arguing your point that people would lose money IF NCL declares either Chapter 11 or Chapter 7 bankruptcy; but I suggest there are a lot of factors between now and then if then ever comes.

The people that would lose money would likely be commercial lenders. They would reorganize under chapter 11 and it would allow them to breathe from the commercial loans. I don't think a judge in their right mind would let them screw hundreds of thousands of passengers out of their money. It would certainly spell doom for them. I'd never sail NCL again if I even lost my cruise next certs. No one would book with them anymore since the trust would be broken. Then they would end up using Chapter 7. Just my thoughts.

59 minutes ago, mtrancher said:

Haven deposits are around $2k for two people. At least, that's what it was when I was looking to rebook my (killer deal) Haven on Bliss that just got cancelled. I'm going to hold off for a little while and see what happens...sigh

Since the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order  was put into place Oct 30,2020 have they even done any simulated cruises? They have to meet  criteria and I believe get a certification to sail from the CDC.

If I read correctly - I don't  think they will be sailing anytime soon.

Here is the framework its 40 pages long

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/CDC-Conditional-Sail-Order_10_30_2020-p.pdf

Here is a list from the cdc of the ships and the reponse plans interesting NCL only has 3 ships listed with one only being green.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/crew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html

and here  is the explanation of the color codes

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/management/technical-instructions-for-cruise-ships.html