The Daily for Monday Jan 11, 2021

richwmn

today is Girl Hug Boy Day, Step in a Puddle and Splash Your Friend's Day, and Heritage Treasures Day (UK)

Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.

Meal suggestion for today - Polenta Cakes With Sautéed Mushrooms

Drink of the Day - Sugar Cookie Martini

Wine of the day - Vina Robles 2018 The Arborist Estate Red (Paso Robles) Central Coast

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam off San Diego
Nieuw Amsterdam off San Diego
Noordam off San Diego
Westerdam off San Diego
Zuiderdam off San Diego

Port Everglades
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Volendam
Zaandam

0111World.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Monday Daily.  Don't know about Heritage Treasures Day, but the other 2 are pretty much off limits until we get Covid under control.  I love the quote but will pass on the meal.  My alternative is Thai Chicken and Forbidden Rice Soup, Roasted Rack of Lamb, and Forest Berry Tart, as served on the MS Prinsendam January 11, 2019, the first Gala night of her final Grand Voyage.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/dishes0111.jpg

The penguins were decked out for the occasion:

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/galapenguin.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

kazu’s BIL’s Mom with Cpvod

Our Nation

Himself awaiting test results

Death of Mamaofami’s friends daughter

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Occasional postgers including Hhagatha

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

Congratulations Ravens (yea), Saints, and Browns

San Bernadino Sheriff Deputy Mike Richardson disengaging from his call to rescue a maltreated toddler and the family who have now adopted her.

Cruise Critic member and poet Kakalina

100 years for Scholastic magazines

Jab appointment for StLouisCruisers

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days.  I will hug my hubby today.   No puddles around here, they're frozen.

Interesting quote.

Thanks for the dinner suggestion, hubby loves mushrooms.

The drink of the day sounds too sweet for me, looking forward to reading about the wine.

Praying for us all.

Stay safe.

• Like 13

Happy Monday morning to all.  Prayers to those on the care list, and good thoughts for all on the celebration list.  Thanks for including me for getting the jab tomorrow.

South America/Antarctica/South Georgia Island on Seabourn Quest

January 11, 2017 Montevideo, Uruguay

Only one more day on this cruise!  We were ready for some exercise so we took the ship’s shuttle to the downtown area to wander around and stop at all the “sights”.  We had been here a handful of times already.  The first time we were not impressed because the sidewalks were full of doggie doo-doo.  There we were trying to look at the architecture and beauty of the city, but had to keep our eyes downward cast to avoid the mess left on the sidewalks.   Several years later we returned and everything looked so much better.  Someone had taken charge who wanted to turn things around and for that we were grateful.   Below is the Plaza Independencia,  one of the city’s most important squares.  Several of the city’s most famous landmarks are here including the Palacio Salvo and the Teatro Solis.  Our intention was to walk back to the ship.  Here goes!enhance

This arch is the gateway to the old fortified cityenhance

Pedestrian walking streetenhance

enhance

Constitution Square, a place to sit and people watch, shop from the local vendors, and gaze at/listen to the fountain. enhance

enhance

Montevideo Metropolitan Cathedral across from Constitution Squareenhance

One of many side altars in the churchenhance

Statue in Plaza Constitucion.  But where’s the pigeon sitting on the man’s head?enhance

We made it back to the ship in fine shape and ready to enjoy the evening.  Dinner was at 7 pm and before that we had some special local entertainment.  We had dancing by two couples, an excellent singer, followed by a comedian and dancing for all accompanied by the musicians.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

The open dance floor photos were really blurry so this is the best I can do.  You could dance with the professional dancers and many people jumped right up to dance.  enhance

enhance

January 12, 2017 is up next – disembarkation day.

• Like 22

Morning Rich! Thank you for today’s Daily! Love the map - especially where it appears the ships are stacked near San Diego. I wonder if people on Coronado can see them. Interesting group of days. Hope someone can educate me on Heritage Treasures Day. I always loved to splash in puddles. Let’s just say my Mom was not thrilled. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! I bet I could splash a friend & remain socially distanced - if the puddle were big enough. If I ever put this to the test, I will report back. And I have to add Go Bucs! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. We have a red wine today.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all we are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This Central Coast red blend has excellent ratings and a surprisingly low price - many online distributors offering it for $14.99! And I love the descriptions - real people wrote these! I am putting this one on my list!

#19 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

This youthful red blend offers up cherry and plum flavors with silky tannins and mocha on the finish. Blend: 44% Syrah, 34% Petite Sirah, 11% Grenache, 11% Tannat

WE94 Wine Enthusiast: This is a screamingly good deal, offering both hedonistic pleasure and complexity through a blend of 41% Syrah, 35% Petite Sirah, 12% Grenache and 12% Tannat. Aromas of roasted cherry, smoked meat and cola spice lead into a hearty palate of black currant, roasted game and licorice. It's balanced by bright acidity, making for a sip that will satisfy many

• Like 18

Thanks all for the daily and for all of your efforts in creating this community. Prayers to all on the lists. Below is my first attempt to attach a photo on cruise critic, so I hope it works. Roy, your sunrise pictures have inspired me to post today's sunrise as seen from my kitchen in NJ.

IMG_20210111_072012667_HDR.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Cannot celebrate the days today.  No hugs, and no puddles.  YEA!!!! for my Brownies.  We did good yesterday.  The quote is interesting and so true.  Not sure what our meal will be today. Prayers for our care list.  And shout outs for our celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Sugar Cookie Martini:

Ingredients
For the martini
1/2 c. whole milk
1/4 c. Baileys
2 oz. vanilla vodka
2 oz. amaretto
Ice
For the rim
1/2 c.
vanilla frosting
1/4 c.
sprinkles, plus 1 tsp., divided
Pre-made sugar cookie dough

Directions

Preheat oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll sugar cookie dough out to ¼” thick. Using a cookie cutter, cut out desired shapes then place cookies on prepared baking sheet. Bake until just set and lightly golden around the edges, 12 minutes. Let cool.
Using an offset spatula, spread a thin layer of frosting onto rim of two martini glasses. Pour ¼ cup sprinkles onto a small plate then dip rims in sprinkles to coat. Use an offset to frost cookies with frosting then decorate with remaining 2 tablespoons sprinkles.
In a cocktail shaker, combine milk, Baileys, vodka, and amaretto. Add ice and shake until cold. Pour into glasses and garnish rim with a cookie.

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 8.08.25 AM.png

• Like 18

Good Morning to Everyone. It is going to be a nice day here at the beach. Mid 70`s.  

Vaccine distribution is slow, still dont have an appointment. Hopefully soon as our numbers are horrible. We are pretty much isolating as there are a lot of visitors here.  I really wish people would do as advised and stay home.

I really miss the blogs from the World and Grand Grand cruises!  So thankful that people on this thread are posting pictures and previous experiences. It is a joy to read them.

• Like 15

32 minutes ago, surfcitygirl said:

Thanks all for the daily and for all of your efforts in creating this community. Prayers to all on the lists. Below is my first attempt to attach a photo on cruise critic, so I hope it works. Roy, your sunrise pictures have inspired me to post today's sunrise as seen from my kitchen in NJ.

IMG_20210111_072012667_HDR.jpg

Gorgeous!

• Like 5

Thank you, Surfcitygirl, for posting the sunrise shot from your kitchen.  

One of the things I most enjoy about being on a cruise is getting out on deck to see the sunrise.  I forget how beautiful ANY sunrise ANYWHERE can be, if we just take the time to look.

Have a Great Day, Everyone!  

Stay Safe!!!

• Like 12

I can get behind mud puddle day, although my friends probably won't be close enough to splash them. Winter in the south is all about rain. And mud. And puddles....

THANK GOODNESS IT'S RAINING AGAIN MY MUD WAS GEITING DEHYDRATED Made With  Mematic | Mud Meme on ME.ME

We are expecting rain today, just north of us it may be mixed with something icier, so I shouldn't complain.

• Like 18
  • Haha 3

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  What a great collection of days to celebrate - I will hug DH and because he's older than me, I will declare him to be my heritage treasure.  Because it's winter here on the "frozen tundra" there aren't any puddles to splash around in, but that happy task can be delayed a few months.  Now, do I give him advance warning about the splash, or just let it play out?

A good day yesterday (no appliances gave out on us - fingers crossed), as we were able to go online to see what the timeline was when we could get our Covid vaccinations.  DH is in phase 1 slated for Feb - May, while I'm in phase 3 whis is July - Sept.  I'm not sure if they'll let me get mine when DH does, which would make sense, but nothing in this pandemic makes much sense, really.

Neither of us is a fan of polenta, and I'm the only one who likes lamb, so I think I'll have to be creative (as if!) about dinner tonight.  I might make up a pot of baked spaghetti that DH likes; I can put some in smaller containers to freeze for later, rather than having to have leftovers for several meals in a row.  Along with a salad and garlic toast, I'm pretty sure that's what will be on our table tonight.  And wine.

FYI, our dear CC friend Kakalina's poem has received 133,000 views on Twitter as of this morning - isn't that wonderful?

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the wine glasses tonight to toast all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 18

Good morning from chilly southwestern AZ.  At least for now, there is no wind.  I would  jump in a puddle if I could, but this area has only had about 3/100ths of an inch of rain since April. It is very dry.  

They may be starting to give the vaccine in this county, but mainly to the first tier.  We’re still waiting for notification from the pharmacy we signed up with, bit are also looking at other options.  So far no one really knows what is going on, and with the influx of snowbirds and weekenders, our numbers are rising.  Beginning today, in Phoenix, jabs will be given 24/7 at the Cardinals stadium.  I expect to see stories of long lines on the news tonight.

Dinner tonight will be the rest of the shrimp gumbo, salad, crusty bread and wine.

Lenda

Second time I’ve made page one!

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 14