Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

2 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

What, answer everything before Boris or mute the telly when she appears?:classic_unsure:

The latter, although I must confess that Boris’s inability to answer a question does occasionally result in me shouting suggested answers to him 😉 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, tring said:

Thanks.  I did not see that post from you then.  I think it is more or less what we all think now, though I do find the lack of unity across the UK quite frustrating and an added potential problem if we were thinking of travelling to the other nations.  For that reason we have stuck to England though, as we do not travel in school hols and early summer is a bit iffy.  So travelling south to what may be warmer weather is probably the best option (we have booked 2 weeks in Sept).

What we would really miss is if we cannot go somewhere warmer at some stage next winter.  We seldom stray that far in summer anyway, though we are disappointed our plans to see relatives in Canada is not to be this year.

We have stuck to booking a staycation later in the year here for the same reason. Who knows when any area might be locked down again.

Like you I’ll miss the sunshine.

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Jean.

If we come down to Devon we will certainly pop in and say hello.

Graham.

Perhaps we can have a CC party in Jean's office, we are, also looking at South Devon so that I can progress my family tree through the Kingsbridge parish records.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

She is simply doing her job and if she happens to do it more quickly than the PM then why should that annoy you?

How exactly do you know what she “loves”, do you know the lady personally perhaps?

I knew I shouldn't get into politics !!! I'm pleased to say I don't know her personally, let's leave it at that and not fall out.

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

It feels, to me, that we should sacrifice foreign travel until next summer.  We can’t keep repeating cycles of mind-numbing lockdown, a few weeks of anything goes and then inexorable re-infection leading to more lockdown

Even the PM seems to be thinking this, saying there can’t be another lockdown.  If there can’t be another lockdown then this, awful, winter lockdown has to be made to work.  We can’t clear this island and then head off round the world, bringing back re-infection 

I know this won’t be a universally popular view.  I don’t like the prospect any more than anyone else does 

If the vaccine is effective in limiting serious infections, then I very much hope that further major outbreaks are consigned to history. The virus will not go away, but if hospitalizations and deaths are minimised, we can start to live a much more normal life once all adults have been vaccinated.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Although you could argue, that if you have had your two vaccinations,  why should you be banned from going to Europe? 

Simple really because even though you have received 2 vaccinations you could still catch Covid and even if we are not very ill with it the biggest problem is that we could still pass it on to all those Europeans that have not been vaccinated and could possibly make them very ill or god forbid kill them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Simple really because even though you have received 2 vaccinations you could still catch Covid and even if we are not very ill with it the biggest problem is that we could still pass it on to all those Europeans that have not been vaccinated and could possibly make them very ill or god forbid kill them.

The jury is still out regarding the possible transmission from someone who has been vaccinated, but the concencus is edging toward this being only a minor issue.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The jury is still out regarding the possible transmission from someone who has been vaccinated, but the concencus is edging toward this being only a minor issue.

As with all juries you never know whether guilty or not guilty until the result is known so they will err on the safe side and say it can be transmitted until proven otherwise. Also I am sure if covid is spread by those that have had the vaccine to those that havent had the vaccine I am sure they will see it more than a minor issue.

• Like 1

Some people must have confidence in cruises sailing from the UK soon. Just out of interest I looked at a cruise over the weekend with Princess to Norway in August and looked again today and the cost for a balcony has risen by over £400pp due to fluid pricing so somebody is making bookings.

8 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Some people must have confidence in cruises sailing from the UK soon. Just out of interest I looked at a cruise over the weekend with Princess to Norway in August and looked again today and the cost for a balcony has risen by over £400pp due to fluid pricing so somebody is making bookings.

It could also be caused by people using FCC's or moving cruises booked to go between April and August.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

They managed to accept tourists last year with no vaccine, so can't see that it's going to be a worse situation with a vaccine, even if its not been fully rolled out. 

Mutants. 

That’s the problem now.  The virus is mutating, and travel has the potential to spread the mutations even further. The Kent strain is said to be more transmissible and the South African strain could be resistant to the current vaccines. Governments will want to minimise the risk of mutations taking hold in their countries. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

As with all juries you never know whether guilty or not guilty until the result is known so they will err on the safe side and say it can be transmitted until proven otherwise. Also I am sure if covid is spread by those that have had the vaccine to those that havent had the vaccine I am sure they will see it more than a minor issue.

But there will come a time, quite likely before the end of this year when most over 50s and those with underlying health conditions will have been vaccinated throughout Europe and maybe even the USA.

So transmission to those remaining will be nowhere near as serious as it is currently.

Once that position is reached then travel to and from those countries should be able to begin to get back to something more normal.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Mutants. 

That’s the problem now.  The virus is mutating, and travel has the potential to spread the mutations even further. The Kent strain is said to be more transmissible and the South African strain could be resistant to the current vaccines. Governments will want to minimise the risk of mutations taking hold in their countries. 

The flu virus has to be tweaked each year, so doing something similar for covid will be the way to ensure we all remain protected.

• Like 1