Good comment from Arnold Donald

DaveOKC

I saw this on Motley Fool website last night and hope it is accurate for my late 2021 cruise:

"The most notable news today was from Carnival CEO Arnold Donald, who said he thinks "most, if not all" of its fleet will be in operation by the end of 2021. At worst, he thinks early 2022 will see the full fleet active. 

A huge uncertainty for cruise lines has been when they'll be able to return to action. The longer the pandemic keeps people off cruises, the more companies need to keep their businesses afloat and the more uncertainty when any payback will come to shareholders. If Donald is seeing a quick recovery by the end of 2021, that's extremely bullish for the industry. 

It's not clear exactly what a recovery will look like for cruise lines. Vaccines are expected to be widely available in the U.S. by summer, and some companies are considering vaccine passes that would allow for more open movement than current restrictions. That could also be possible on cruise lines, where passenger safety will not only be a priority for operators, it'll be key to getting customers to board ships. "

• Like 4

Not sure how this will play out for the cruise industry...

"Senator says only half of Arizonans want the vaccine; 75% needed for herd immunity"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/senator-says-only-half-of-arizonans-want-the-vaccine-75-needed-for-herd-immunity/ar-BB1dL3rs

Cruise companies that want 100% vax passengers won't run anywhere near capacity in 2021. Those who don't demand 100% vax will only be able to sail from safe regions.

Bet this is keeping Arnold awake at nights. Doesn't bother me since I'm not a shareholder!

19 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Cruise companies that want 100% vax passengers won't run anywhere near capacity in 2021.

I wouldn’t bet on that, seriously.  

Firstly, I don’t think full capacity will be a concern in the beginning in 2021 (assuming they can sail then) - I suspect the ships will start at part capacity (50 - 75 % is my guess) for safety reasons and then go to full capacity.

Secondly, those that refuse vaccinations may not even be cruisers.  I suspect proof of vaccination will be necessary to fly, stay at international hotels and cruise down the road.  And, people that want to travel will get vaccinations.  I suspect many cruisers will want to sail on a ship that requires vaccination and there will be enough pent up desire that the ships will sail full if vaccination is required.

Speaking for us, we will not cruise unless we are vaccinated.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, kazu said:

I wouldn’t bet on that, seriously.  

Firstly, I don’t think full capacity will be a concern in the beginning in 2021 (assuming they can sail then) - I suspect the ships will start at part capacity (50 - 75 % is my guess) for safety reasons and then go to full capacity.

Secondly, those that refuse vaccinations may not even be cruisers.  I suspect proof of vaccination will be necessary to fly, stay at international hotels and cruise down the road.  And, people that want to travel will get vaccinations.  I suspect many cruisers will want to sail on a ship that requires vaccination and there will be enough pent up desire that the ships will sail full if vaccination is required.

In all honesty, I really don't like the idea of taking a vaccine that is brand new.....   BUT, I've already been stuck once, and the second dose is scheduled, all because I like the idea of NOT traveling and NOT cruising even less.....   We currently have two cruises booked.    A Star Clipper in October of this year and a Crystal next year.   One of the defining questions as to if we go on either is going to be if the cruise line mandates vaccination of everyone on board.   If not?   we cancel.  While I am not concerned (now) about GETTING the virus, I have no desire to be on a ship with an outbreak, and being confined to a stateroom. (Or worse) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think probably the better measure of 'optimism' (or lack thereof) is what Mr. Arnold had to say to the analyst community on CCL's  Q4 2020 results / earnings call.  Scott. 

Transcript here:  https://seekingalpha.com/article/4398348-carnival-corporation-plc-ccl-ceo-arnold-donald-on-q4-2020-results-earnings-call-transcript   

Edited by YXU AC*SE
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kazu said:

I have now received both doses of the Pfizer vaccine.  Two weeks from now, the vaccine should provide the best protection from Covid that I can now expect.  

What does that mean to me?  I may decide that I will feel sufficiently comfortable to go to a dine-in restaurant for breakfast, lunch, or dinner for the first time since early March.  Does it mean that I will be booking a cruise?  No.  I won't be sailing the seven seas again if I must wear a mask in order to be able to do so.  

Even with being fully vaccinated, I will still need to wear a mask to go to my grocery to buy, what, maybe $30.00 worth of groceries.  Why would I want to spend thousands to cruise with wearing a mask being required?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The vaccination provides you with some protection from COVID,  but it's not known yet if it keeps you from spreading the virus if you're asymptomatic & vaccinated.  Wearing a mask, even if you're vaccinated helps to protect those around you from.....YOU !  🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

The vaccination provides you with some protection from COVID,  but it's not known yet if it keeps you from spreading the virus if you're asymptomatic & vaccinated.  Wearing a mask, even if you're vaccinated helps to protect those around you from.....YOU !  🙂

The question of whether one can spread the virus even if one is vaccinated is the next major question that needs to be answered during this pandemic.  (I pray that the answer will be negative.)

Even if the answer is negative, I am sure that the public health authorities are not going to say "masks are no longer needed if you are vaccinated" until a significant percentage of the population are vaccinated.  If those not vaccinated see others vaccinated out and about with no masks, what does one think those folk will do?  

Maybe I will need to have my CDC card laminated, fastened into a plastic sleeve clipped on my clothes to show that I am vaccinated and don't need a mask if it is proven that vaccinated folks are not able to spread the virus.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

We were told NOT to laminate the cards we were given as they would turn black.

Received no such information and see no reason why that would happen.  They are a piece of paper with the data recorded as to when, what, and by what provider is written in ink on the card.  

20 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Received no such information and see no reason why that would happen.  They are a piece of paper with the data recorded as to when, what, and by what provider is written in ink on the card.  

I too would be inclined to both make several copies and laminate it for inclusion in my wallet. I would want a copy to keep with my passport and one to carry around. 

We also did this with our passports. I took color copies of the main page of both mine and the DW's passport. Made several copies both normal size and reduced. Put them back-to-back and then

laminate. Now both of us have a single item that can be inserted into our wallets that have the pertinent info for both of us. The reduced size ones are about the size of a CC. 

They have come in real handy a few times overseas when we needed our passport info when out and about, but where not carrying out "official" ones. 

20 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

We were told NOT to laminate the cards we were given as they would turn black.

While I do use the heat type laminates, you can get some non-heat type, that are just sticky in between the 2 sheets. You just peel off the inner protective coating, stick your document inside and squish it together. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, drowelf said:

I too would be inclined to both make several copies and laminate it for inclusion in my wallet. I would want a copy to keep with my passport and one to carry around. 

That's my plan as well.  Some "talk" about some type of a digital vaccine passport, but not everyone has a device that would allow such a "passport".  For how many decades has the "old fashioned" Yellow Folder that showed what immunizations one had received been in use?  It worked then; it works now; it will work in the future.  I will incorporate my Covid-19 vaccine card that I received into that Folder along with proof of another vaccine I received some time ago for a major flu event that resulted in mass vaccinations.  Wasn't as serious as Covid, but....it was very much of concern at that time.  

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 9:20 AM, HappyInVan said:

Not sure how this will play out for the cruise industry...

"Senator says only half of Arizonans want the vaccine; 75% needed for herd immunity"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/senator-says-only-half-of-arizonans-want-the-vaccine-75-needed-for-herd-immunity/ar-BB1dL3rs

Cruise companies that want 100% vax passengers won't run anywhere near capacity in 2021. Those who don't demand 100% vax will only be able to sail from safe regions.

Bet this is keeping Arnold awake at nights. Doesn't bother me since I'm not a shareholder!

First, your source (MSN) is suspect right off the bat, and second, what Arizona does in terms of vaccinations and their views on herd immunity has minimal, if no bearing on what the entire country feels, and its approach to achieving success with combatting this virus.

On 2/21/2021 at 5:29 PM, rkacruiser said:

Do NOT laminate your vaccine cards. Similar to the guidance from SSA on laminating Social Security cards.

11 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Right, this sounds so batty. MSN is a news aggregator. The source is from...

https://www.azfamily.com/site/

Get a grip on yourself!!! 🙄

Not sure what the poster was calling  'suspect', but maybe was trying to say 'take with a grain of salt' as the article it amounts to

"A journalist said ... he interviewed a guy who said... he talked to the governor who said ..he had data ....." 

I think it was maybe the 3 levels removed of that data was the suspect, when was gthe poll taken etc. 

Like they say - 84.3% of statistics are made up... lol.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2021 at 4:35 PM, rkacruiser said:

The question of whether one can spread the virus even if one is vaccinated is the next major question that needs to be answered during this pandemic.  (I pray that the answer will be negative.)

Even if the answer is negative, I am sure that the public health authorities are not going to say "masks are no longer needed if you are vaccinated" until a significant percentage of the population are vaccinated.  If those not vaccinated see others vaccinated out and about with no masks, what does one think those folk will do?  

Maybe I will need to have my CDC card laminated, fastened into a plastic sleeve clipped on my clothes to show that I am vaccinated and don't need a mask if it is proven that vaccinated folks are not able to spread the virus.

I wondered whether your vaccination information could be or would be added to your Global Entry card. That would make travel simpler for those of us who have one.

St Louis Sal

• Like 1