July cruise won't sail - will it?

kelly-NYC

A relative of mine booked all of our families on a multi-family July 2021 Carnival cruise out of Baltimore.  I'm convinced that cruise won't sail.   Even if it does, not all of us will be vaccinated by then because there are children under the age of 16 who are booked as well.  What do you think the chances are that it will actually sail in July?  Everyone else in the family is acting like I am raining on their parade for saying that we won't be going.  The final payment is due soon and they keep asking if we are going with them.  Do you think anything will be sailing out of Baltimore this summer?

3 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Nobody knows, but I don't think the President saying there shouldn't be large gatherings for the 4th of July is a good sign for cruising in July if that''s an indication of the CDC's thinking.

The President listens to scientists and doctors, so I think it might be more up to them.

We were supposed to get 100 million doses of vaccine in 100 days, but it took only 60 or so. Things are progressing nicely, if everyone would cooperate.

I wouldn't bet on cruises starting in July from the US, but one is scheduled to start in July from the Bahamas, so things are getting close.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The President listens to scientists and doctors, so I think it might be more up to them.

Well presumably his statement about no large gatherings on the 4th was based on what scientists and doctors tell him. I doubt he was just winging it with that comment.

But, yeah. Under-promise and over-deliver could indeed be part of the strategy here.

I don't see what the Bahamas may allow as necessarily indicative of what the CDC will permit here though.

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Well presumably his statement about no large gatherings on the 4th was based on what scientists and doctors tell him. I doubt he was just winging it with that comment.

But, yeah. Under-promise and over-deliver could indeed be part of the strategy here.

When people follow simple instructions, mountains can move.

• Like 2

I am expecting June cruises to be cancelled within the next 10 days since Carnival typically follows the other cruise lines. I personally do not think there will be any 7 day cruises in July. By the time the CDC gives clearance, the ships gather their staff, vaccinations happen for staff, test cruises take place...it will be past July. I am reading that short cruises will start first then gradually get back to the week long ones.

With  all of that being said, my family is scheduled to cruise from Long Beach on the Panorama on July 3rd. I just don't think it is going to happen.

• Like 4

I don't think there is every going to be a light switch moment where everything is cancelled and then one day everything starts up again. Like rolling out of vaccinations and rolling back of covid mandates it will be a one day at a time and one step at a time process. My guess is that it will start with a few weeks of test cruises and then a month or two of a reduced scheduled and then if that goes well things will slowly begin to get back going again. I suspect the initial cruises will all be out of Florida. There could be cruising again by July but the chance of it being your cruise is slim. 

• Like 4

Everything is very iffy right now.  There needs to be a test cruise and then a 60 eval before we start sailing .  It will be hard to get it all in before June.  July maybe.  The US will hit a good herd immunity before June.  But will the powers to be react and get july ships into the water. 

• Like 1

I think July "could" happen if the CDC actually did any real work. Covid has proven they are a do little, no action, overly paid government organization. Honestly, anyone that has been in charge of a merit system or employee evaluation system can clearly see that the CDC has failed miserably on every level of a pandemic which is about their sole responsibility as an organization.

Since the CDC has done literally nothing but face time for Fauci, I highly doubt they are motivated to get anything going, even with vaccination. 

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, kelly-NYC said:

A relative of mine booked all of our families on a multi-family July 2021 Carnival cruise out of Baltimore.  I'm convinced that cruise won't sail.   Even if it does, not all of us will be vaccinated by then because there are children under the age of 16 who are booked as well.  What do you think the chances are that it will actually sail in July?  Everyone else in the family is acting like I am raining on their parade for saying that we won't be going.  The final payment is due soon and they keep asking if we are going with them.  Do you think anything will be sailing out of Baltimore this summer?

10 hours ago, tytanbri said:

my family is scheduled to cruise from Long Beach on the Panorama on July 3rd. I just don't think it is going to happen.

Neither cruise has more than a 10% chance of happening as scheduled, IMHO.  Don't cancel yet, but start making alternate plans.

If anything sails out of Baltimore in July, it will either be non-revenue test sailings, or replacement cruises for ones they will have canceled on the way.  

• Like 1

Just the other day, Duke undergrads were ordered to stay in dorms. That has nothing to do with government, but with common sense. 

Actually you were incorrect they were mandated at Duke due to a Frat Party and must remain in their dorms from March 14 - 21st.  Obviously no common sense

According to officials, more than 180 students were recently required to isolate following a positive COVID-19 test, and 200 students were in quarantine following the university's contact-tracing efforts.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, linz98144 said:

Sometimes you can call Carnival and ask for an extension on your final payment. 

We'll put you down as a no, they won't be sailing in July 😉  I agree with you. We are questioning our late October sailing. 

We have a July 13th Alaskan cruise.  No shot in he** it will be a 'go'.  Final payment at the end of the month for $6,600.  Going to ask for extension and hope the cruise is canceled.  Don't want to lose OBC.  Then rebook for 2022. I am pretty sure my deposit is not refundable.  After 3 cancelations for 3 other Alaskan cruises, I really can't remember  LOL  Fingers crossed.  Made alternate land vacation this year.

22 minutes ago, kaylahszoo said:

We have a July 13th Alaskan cruise.  No shot in he** it will be a 'go'.  Final payment at the end of the month for $6,600.  Going to ask for extension and hope the cruise is canceled.  Don't want to lose OBC.  Then rebook for 2022. I am pretty sure my deposit is not refundable.  After 3 cancelations for 3 other Alaskan cruises, I really can't remember  LOL  Fingers crossed.  Made alternate land vacation this year.

You know you have until 3/29 to cancel any cruises thru July 31 and keep your onboard credit

19 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Since the CDC has done literally nothing but face time for Fauci, I highly doubt they are motivated to get anything going, even with vaccination. 

Dr. Fauci works for the NIH in Bethesda, Md. which reports to The Department of Health and Human Services.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Dr. Fauci works for the NIH in Bethesda, Md. which reports to The Department of Health and Human Services.

And the CDC is in Atlanta, Georgia. It also reports the the Department of Health and Human Services.

• Like 1

The pot is about to boil over with other states looking at Florida and Texas and wondering why they are suffering ridiculous restrictions. Today Sen. Paul, himself a medical doctor, raked Fauci over the coals for his silly stance of wearing two masks, and Fauci could not explain why those vaccinated and those who recovered from Covid-19 had to wear a mask. We all saw John Kerry ignoring mask rules on American Airlines. With the charts dropping fast as the vaccinations cover more of the population July sailings could well be at hand. 

Cruises have been operating and theme parks open around the world without any meaningful difficulty since last July. The CDC will be hard pressed to enforce their rules from last fall much longer.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Moviela said:

The pot is about to boil over with other states looking at Florida and Texas and wondering why they are suffering ridiculous restrictions. Today Sen. Paul, himself a medical doctor, raked Fauci over the coals for his silly stance of wearing two masks, and Fauci could not explain why those vaccinated and those who recovered from Covid-19 had to wear a mask. We all saw John Kerry ignoring mask rules on American Airlines. With the charts dropping fast as the vaccinations cover more of the population July sailings could well be at hand. 

Cruises have been operating and theme parks open around the world without any meaningful difficulty since last July. The CDC will be hard pressed to enforce their rules from last fall much longer.

Paul didn’t appear to be too much of a Dr one might want to follow since he knowingly exposed many of his senate colleagues when he knew he had Covid and refused to wear a mask then.  If you choose to disagree with Fauci, you may, but I would not put your money or your life on Rand Paul! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1