Navigator now confirmed in California

33 minutes ago, PCWalton1 said:

I don't see Marie and I flying down from Seattle for just these ports

I definitely wouldn’t fly down for a 3 or 4 day, but might add on to a 5, and visit my daughter in SD.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BillB48 said:

You are absolutely correct she would have to use the new locks which can accommodate her dimensions very easily.  The overhang restriction I mentioned is specifically for the new locks.  The Canal has also changed the method of calculation of the tolls a bit, no longer is per passenger berth.  The toll is now calculated on max passenger capacity and the ship more than likely have less passenger berths than the max passenger capacity.  So the Canal probably is on the plus side of that calculation at $148 per passenger vs $138 for the original locks.

We went through the Panama Canal in 2015 on the Jewel OTS (but in the old locks).  The new ones were done but not yet allowing ships through at that time.  I recall that passage had to paid in cash for each vessel, so at $148 pp, that would be about $600K for the Navigator OTS to cross in fees alone.  It was a great trip and I would consider making the passage again on the Navigator westbound. 

But I would really be more interested in taking her around the horn, the long way from the Caribbean to Los Angeles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoopster95 said:

Having said that, with all the years of discussion of Quantum Class getting, or not getting, under the Lion's Gate bridge in Vancouver for Alaska runs, it was pretty obvious that when RCL made the announcement for Ovation the engineers likely did their homework. Hopefully they did the same for Navigator getting through the PC

The Ovation gets under the Lyons Gate Bridge because the stacks are retractable.  As I recall that was necessary to get it from the shipyard to the open ocean.  I believe the Navigator is the same as the Explorer that can not get under the Lyons Gate.

20 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

The Ovation gets under the Lyons Gate Bridge because the stacks are retractable.  As I recall that was necessary to get it from the shipyard to the open ocean.  I believe the Navigator is the same as the Explorer that can not get under the Lyons Gate.

Things were more fun in the pre-social distancing days.  I can attest that the Ovation sails under the Lyons Gate sans stacks.  This was the 1st time she did it.

My first cruise ever was on the Viking Serenade, the 4 day (Mon-Fri) Baja Cruise.  Loved it, glad to see RC coming back to San Pedro.

image.thumb.png.6735211292dc4b24df666628527bead6.png

I am disappointed for Royal Caribbean, it is as if they were not even trying. I agree with the itineraries not be great, then there is the ship, she is 20 years old. I know she has been refurbished but she is competing against, NCL Bliss, Carnival Panorama and the new Discovery Princess. Even HAL that is starting to draw a younger crowd has a drastically newer ship with the Koningsdam sailing the west coast.

JMHO they could have done better, they will open up bookings at drastically high price and then after a few months scratch their heads has to why it is not selling at their high price. The 60% off second guest Sale is not going to fool too many. They will end up redeploying her again.

I think cruisers on the West Coast deserve better. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, grnyel05 said:

Personally very excited by the news.  Navigator is one of my favorite ships post-amplification and the mixture of shorter itineraries with what sounds like occasional seven night itineraries is a great way to test the market again.  The option of being able to take a long weekend away without missing work is great.   

3 day trips with no vacation used is pure awesomeness.  Used to do it on Monarch and Enchantment a lot

Just now, Goodtime Cruizin said:

June 2022 is very telling of the expected timeline they think they might be cruising again out of the US

Surely Mariners start of June is not leading you to that conclusion.  It’s simply the end of one season that she is doing Anne what would be the normal start of another season.  The end of April is very typical of ships to redeploy elsewhere from the Caribbean. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That is great news and right now after not cruising since 2019 Ovation Hawaii cruise

i dont care what the ports are I just want to do a cruise

Prices are going to be to expensive for the port choices. Especially in the beginning 

Hopefully they will have more than just a couple overpriced 7 day holiday cruises and add a few in the fall or winter time. Wish they would bring back the 9nighter like the Radiance used to do from SAN

But honestly I think we have done 6 cruises on her and are  talking about doing a 4 and 5night  B2B 

would be nice to surprise Nadja the old CL concierge. 

Edited by jonbgd
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ashland said:

I won't drive an hour for just these short cruise ports.

22 million people live within 100 miles of San Pedro. Decent population base.

Only 5 million within 100 miles of Pt Canaveral

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I know she has been refurbished but she is competing against, NCL Bliss, Carnival Panorama and the new Discovery Princess.

Since Navigator will be performing 3-5 day cruises, she will be most directly competing with Carnival Radiance; another older and refurbished ship doing short cruises. All the other ships you mention will be in the 7 night market. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

And probably back when Royal did some pretty heavy last minute discounting. 

Hit or miss. I remember paying $600 pp for a literally last minute 3day Easter cruise on Enchantment

13 minutes ago, jonbgd said:

That is great news and right now after not cruising since 2019 Ovation Hawaii cruise

Prices are going to be to expensive for the port choices. Especially ion the beginning 

Hopefully they will have more than just a couple overpriced 7 day holiday cruises and add a few in the fall or winter time. Wish they would bring back the 9nighter like the Radiance used to do from SAN

But honestly I think we have done 6 cruises on her and are  talking about doing a 4 and 5night  B2B 

I wouldn't count on any staff being on their old ships. Just a guess

16 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

3 day trips with no vacation used is pure awesomeness.  Used to do it on Monarch and Enchantment a lot

I used to do the 3 day trips on Monarch as well before she left San Pedro!  If I had a crystal ball back in 2007 when I moved to LA and realized that Royal Caribbean would pull out of the short cruise market I would have done a few more.  Very excited to have Navigator back in the mix after many trips on the now defunct Carnival Inspiration, the Carnival Paradise, and the former Golden Princess.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That’s a miss.

Bit we also did a 4 night solo on Sovereign for 99 pp in 2008 or 2009

It was booked about 3 months out vs 3 days out

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just announced on the webinar that the Navigator is confirmed in California.

out of LA

3/4/5 and 7 night cruises

On sale at the end of the month

Not Happy... Nav is one of my faves. 😞

45 minutes ago, jonbgd said:

Prices are going to be to expensive for the port choices. Especially in the beginning 

Last I saw Nadja, she was on Liberty out of Galvestone in October 2019.  She left the ship I think the next cruise after our cruises.  She is really one of the great concierges that royal has.  It was a very nice 14 days with her.  

Will be happy that I can now fly 5 hours for cruises out of California.   Now I can do a land vacation and then add b2b or b3b cruise.  Not limited to cruising out of Galvestone if we did not want to fly all the way to Florida.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Bit we also did a 4 night solo on Sovereign for 99 pp in 2008 or 2009

It was booked about 3 months out vs 3 days out

Did 4nite on Sovereign in 2000 for $158 total for 2 Inside. Then after 9/11 a 5niter $9pp with Tax $50pp, total cost was $118 for OV Cabin. Booked 2wks out. Paid for whole trip with rolled Quarters, drove down to Florida and gas was less then $1 a gallon all the way...

4 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

I know... that wasn't the point in my post